David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

The Rest of Us Just Live Here
This topic is about The Rest of Us Just Live Here
Archives (Book of the Month) > December 2015 Book of the Month - The Rest of Us Just Live Here

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness The Rest of Us Just Live Here won for December's Book of the Month!

Spoilers are welcome but please hide them with spoiler tabs for those who have not read this book.

Enjoy!!! :)

Cinthia | 38 comments Umm. I need to be part of this voting process... I am so behind. I didn't get to read novembers book... I shall make a dent in this one...

Yaaaay Cinthia! So glad you're joining us this month!! :)

message 4: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
I can't wait to read and discuss this one! I'm next on the waiting list from the library!

Tracy | 823 comments I have been trying to get this book since October. Hope to have it before the end of the month.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I have this one on hold as well David (the audiobook). I love Patrick Ness!

Has anyone had the chance to read this one yet? I'm interested to know what you thought! I'm not seeing great reviews yet. It's kind of mixed.

Brigid ✩ | 738 comments I read it this summer and liked it, but it's not my favorite of Patrick Ness's. That seems to be the general consensus among his fans. :D It's still good, though––it has an interesting premise and some touching moments.

Tracy | 823 comments FINALLY got this after 2 months of waiting. Not very far into it yet but hoping it was worth the wait.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Karen it is taking me waaaaaaaaaaaay longer than usual for my library to get this one to me. Not sure what the hold up is because I don't see anyone on the list before me. Of well. I am listening to an audiobook now anyway so would have to wait to start it.

Cinthia | 38 comments Starting!!! So excited!!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Karen it is taking me waaaaaaaaaaaay longer than usual for my library to get this one to me. Not sure what the hold up is because I don't see anyone on the list before me. Of well. I am listening t..."

I hate it when that happens!! :(

Cinthia wrote: "Starting!!! So excited!!"

Woot woot Cinthia!! :)

Cinthia | 38 comments Just finished... I will post my review link here later today.. I just gotta say though, not the best read I've had in a long time ;( I had to be honest how I felt about it and was only able to push myself to give it (1) star ;( I hope others enjoyed it.

message 15: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
YAY! I'm excited to read this one! We had a lot of good books in the poll this month.

Cinthia wrote: "Just finished... I will post my review link here later today.. I just gotta say though, not the best read I've had in a long time ;( I had to be honest how I felt about it and was only able to push..."

Interesting review! I'm glad for your honesty because it helps people like me who are on the fence about reading this one. If I'm sensing a 1 star review, then I normally DNF and won't finish. You are a trooper for hanging in there. :)

Hmmm.... I've not seen anyone rave about this book actually. No 5 star ratings either.

message 17: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Oops, I forgot to come back to this thread after I read it!

Cinthia, so sorry you didn't enjoy the read :(

Here's my take: Although it wasn't anywhere near A Monster Calls or Chaos Walking, I thought it was much better than his last book. I actually really enjoyed how you got two stories in one (one from the "normal" kids, who were very complex, interesting characters, and one in summary of the "indie" kids). I thought that set up was really original and cool, although it took a little getting used to. Overall, I found it to be a pretty decent read!

message 18: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I've still got this taken out from the library (I took it out last year). Hope to read it soon and post about it, though I'll be late to the party.

message 19: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I haven't gotten to it yet, either, Daniel, but I will at some point, so no worries :)

Ditto! :)