Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > Classic books for Meyers-Briggs personality types

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments I just came across this list (originally from Flavorwire) which lists a book for each of the 16 personality types in the Meyers-Briggs spectrum. I found it really interesting, only that my personality type (INFP) has The Color Purple listed, which is one of my absolute favourite books ever.

http://www.listchallenges.com/flavorw...

What's your book? And does it 'fit' you?

message 2: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments Ulysses... Gah, doubtful. Hear it is looong and I have patience until I have none at all.

message 3: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm IJ (others are not conclusive and I don't recognize myself more in one or the other).
So the books could be The Age of Innocence (ISTJ), Emily Post's Etiquette (ISFJ), Pride and Prejudice (INTJ) or Ulysses (INFJ).

I read only P&P in these, which was ok, but really more entertaining in the zombie version. Regarding the choices in books in this list (all classics), I'm pretty sure I'll never read the rest of them. For other personalities, I read some of them (Little women, HP and Huckleberry) and enjoyed them at the time.

message 4: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Jody, that's cool, I am INFP, too! I have been trying to get a hold of The Color Purple from the library for months. Everything I heard about it tells me I will like it - glad to hear you loved it, too.

message 5: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments It's funny, because it wasn't ever a book that I ever had any real interest in, but I read it for the challenge this year and fell in love with it completely! I hope you get a copy soon!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments I'm ISFJ but the F and T were a close call so my books are The Age of Innocence and Emily Post's Etiquette, neither of which I've read but The Age of Innocence is on my TBR.

message 7: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments Wow three INFPs in one place - how often does that happen? Yes, I agree that The Color Purple is probably the best fit for me from that list.

message 8: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I am INFP as well. I read The Color Purple this year and loved it!

message 9: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Nice! I don't think INFP is very common overall but perhaps common among avid readers?

message 10: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments I was thinking the same thing Marta - I'm guessing most of us are at least I. :)

message 11: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 82 comments It may be that INFPs love to read - that's mine as well! Normally I'm the only one in any given group :)

message 12: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments Fantastic. No wonder I feel so at home just jumping in even though most (?) of you already know each other from this year's group. Kindred spirits (zoning Anne with an E here)...

message 13: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I've friends who are obviously E and also like to read a lot but, yes, readers are probably more frequent among introverts than extroverts.
The group is introvert friendly, I swear we didn't eat members in the 2015 group :p

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments Zaz wrote: "I've friends who are obviously E and also like to read a lot but, yes, readers are probably more frequent among introverts than extroverts.
The group is introvert friendly, I swear we didn't eat me..."

I can confirm the welcoming arms of this group. I have been in others that are certainly not introvert friendly (or friendly at all???). I had to really sell this one to a friend before she would join because she was afraid of being belittled for her book choices or if she was unable to finish the challenge. I assured her that the mods and the members are absolutely wonderful here and so accepting of whatever we read and however we choose to participate. :-)

message 15: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I'm also an INFP, and I'm thrilled that The Color Purple is our pick. I read it for the first tim this year and absolutely fell in love with it, it became my new favourite book. INFP is among the rarer types but it doesn't surprise me that we'd all flock towards this site. As much as Extraverts may still love reading, I think it's a more common hobby among Introverts. Hey, Belle is an INFP and she loves reading!

message 16: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Joy wrote: "I can confirm the welcoming arms of this group. I have been in others that are certainly not introvert friendly (or friendly at all???). I had to really sell this one to a friend before she would join because she was afraid of being belittled for her book choices or if she was unable to finish the challenge. I assured her that the mods and the members are absolutely wonderful here and so accepting of whatever we read and however we choose to participate. :-)
"

I could not agree with this more! I was also wary about the fact that I knew how slow a reader I am and knew I wouldn't be able to finish the challenge but the group here and the members are just so friendly and welcoming that I felt relaxed enough to realise that it didn't matter as long as I was enjoying myself. Also, I've never seen one member belittle someone else's book choices and that has been wonderful to see. I can't stand people who get snobby about things like books. It's unnecessary and can be very rude.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole ISFP: Oblomov
I've never read it!

I also agree with everyone regarding this group, everyone has been so nice and welcoming, its a breath of fresh air! (I'm a slow reader too Francesca, so its nice to know that there isn't pressure to read 52 books!)

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Interesting I got one I have read and is my favorite on the list. I am an INTJ.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) INFJ for me. I got Ulysses

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 136 comments This is bizarre ... I am INFJ and Ulysses is literally my only DNF ever :/