paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

The Dark Servant
This topic is about The Dark Servant
group reads archive > The Dark Servant 100% Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

This group read will commence on Monday 30th November.

Hope to see a few of you join in. :)

message 2: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
I hope to join in this one :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments I grabbed the book. I'll join.

message 4: by Russell (new)

Russell Coy (russell_coy) | 1 comments Looking forward to this. :)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I just bought it--I'm in!! :D

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers at 25%. :)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I'm only at 7% so far, but it's starting off strong!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments I need to finished a book tonight but I'll start it right after I finish this book.

I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the teaser Kimberly. :)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I need to finished a book tonight but I'll start it right after I finish this book.

I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the teaser Kimberly. :)"

LOL! I figured that one was okay. :) I had two books to finish, but I just gave up on the one and finally admitted I was BORED with it--with all the Christmas shopping, I haven't had any time for what I WANT to read. I'm mostly done, so I'm looking forward to being on track here, and joining another group read. (Maybe sneak in a few reviews/BETA reads over the month, but the majority from this weekend on is for ME--for once!) ;)

message 10: by Maxine Marsh (new)

I'm finishing up Necroscope, hopefully today, and then starting this one!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Maxine wrote: "I'm finishing up Necroscope, hopefully today, and then starting this one!"

Yay! :)

message 12: by Maxine Marsh (new)

I read the first two chapters and I'm not liking it :( The dialogue of the teenagers is so off that it started irritating me and the head hopping btwn characters is something that drives me crazy, I'll try it out for a few more chapters I guess ...

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Maxine wrote: "I read the first two chapters and I'm not liking it :( The dialogue of the teenagers is so off that it started irritating me and the head hopping btwn characters is something that drives me crazy, ..."

The one thing I noticed is that these teenagers (who are in their junior and senior years), talk more like middle-school aged kids than near-adults.... Seriously, what they say is NOT what you'd expect a real 18 year old to be saying....

message 14: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I've only read the first chapter but I thought it looked like it was going to be cheesy fun. I'll try and get to 25% today. I hope it picks up for you both.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "I've only read the first chapter but I thought it looked like it was going to be cheesy fun. I'll try and get to 25% today. I hope it picks up for you both."

Oh, it's definitely cheesy fun--quite different from the only other novel I've read by this author! Despite the feeling that he "doesn't know how real kids talk", I'll have no problem finishing the story, itself.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Seems like a straightforward plot, but I need to see how it all ends...

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments @60% (view spoiler)

message 18: by Kate (last edited Dec 07, 2015 10:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Hi Kimberly, it's just up to 50% for discussion, even with spoilers.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments I'm only at 5% which I just finished the second chapter. I'm kind of with you on this one Maxine. The high school talk is very dumbed down but more than anything is how shallow and idiotic the characters are.

The mother just is something else, to have an affair when the boys are teens and to say you can have it all--house, kids, etc, to her husband (the chief) just seems so messed up.

I hope this picks up soon, already with the car accident it is looking promising but the stink of the beast is a huge give away.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments I'm currently at 27%. I just finished chapter 18. The book does pick up and the German folklore started to happen every early on. I did like how the teacher said the beast came down the street spanking the bad children, lol. That part was actually funny. I wonder how the parents could keep a straight face.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "Hi Kimberly, it's just up to 50% for discussion, even with spoilers."

Sorry Kate! The spoiler could be viewed much earlier than the 50% mark and not ruin anything. (Just habit).

message 22: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Kate wrote: "Hi Kimberly, it's just up to 50% for discussion, even with spoilers."

Sorry Kate! The spoiler could be viewed much earlier than the 50% mark and not ruin anything. (Just habit)."

No probs. I wish i was able to read as quick as you. I've only read the 1st chapter. :S

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments I'm still behind too. I haven't read since the last post, still at Chapter 19.

message 24: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 75%.

Bah humbug, I'm still on 12%. I'm quite enjoying it but it's taking me longer to get through as well as read everything else I have on the go.

The story itself seems nice written, it's very easy to get into and the plot at the moment is straight forward and just setting up the main story.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I started to get a better feel for the story after the first half, and--despite the question of how 18-year olds are considered "children"--begin to understand the underlying reasons for all of this. Still have one major question that needs answering at this point....

message 26: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers are now at 100%.

I think I'm going to have to binge read this when I'm off over xmas.

I agree now with the conversation between the kids, there's something not quite right with it, it's disjointed.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I enjoyed the humor injected into the story, overall. Considering the ending, there were a few things that didn't feel "right" to me. For example, despite what we've seen Krampus capable of doing, after he is actually attacked and set on fire, Billy received nothing more than a broken arm! Even if he wasn't going to do what they "thought" he might, he was still acting in an "unjust" matter. It just didn't seem plausible (well, plausible for a Krampus story), that he would simply shrug off the assault and say, "Oh well"--pack up and leave.

I also found it a little off that Tim didn't question why he was included there, after we found out about the others' bullying and such....

However, I did like the message it sent out to bullies--especially in today's day and age. The part about the girl who tried to commit suicide is all too possible. :(