Space Opera Fans discussion

Previous BOTM Threads > December Nominations Folder

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

I hope those of you in the US had a lovely Thanksgiving, and for everybody else, a wonderful November so far. It's time for us to nominate which books we'd like to read as a group in December.

Up this month we have the following categories:

READER PICK: Dead trees is where it's at for the Reader Pick, which should be widely available in both paperback and ebook at most chain bookstores and public libraries. Books can't be exclusive to Kindle Unlimited since we're a global community.

INDIE PICK: This is for those newer, edgier books where the author has to do it all. Books that have been published by a micropress that helps you upload the thing, but YOU otherwise do the work and marking are okay, or if you got your backlist back, still qualify.

YOUNG ADULT FRIENDLY PICK: This is where YOU guys help me indoctrinate set a good example for my teenagers and hook them up with good books that won't make them roll their eyes. That means: Must be written FOR a young adult and STAR a young adult protagonist (age 17 or less) and not have been published any later than the year 2000 AD. Since it's hard to find purely space opera YA books, any sci-fi book that has a strong space or space-yearning element will probably be acceptable. Gotta still have spaceships and aliens.

Drop your nomination into the thread below and, on December 1st, we'll spin it through Random.org to pick three brand new group reads.

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

P.S. - as of late we've had some people we've never heard of before popping by to spam this thread with nominations for the same book and then disappearing, never to be seen again. While we welcome new members, that's kinda a crappy thing to do to our author-members who hang out here organically to chit-chat about cool science stuff, so just so you know, if it's fishy, I just disqualify any nomination that is not made by an active community member.

message 2: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 339 comments Indie Pick: Ambassador Seeing Red by Patty Jansen by Patty Jansen (I know, I've nominated it nearly every month, but it's so worth reading, and I'm sure that one day it will pop up on the randomiser!)

YA Friendly pick: Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman by Amie Kaufman which I've just read and is super awesome, and totally different.

Reader Pick: Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon by Elizabeth Moon because it's on my to-read list.

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat Powers | 12 comments This might have been proposed already, if so I apologize, new here, but for Indie Pick:

Date Night on Union Station

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) So I've never nominated before but here goes:

Indie Pick: The Thorne Legacy The Thorne Legacy by J.D. Brink by J.D. Brink

YA-friendly Pick: The Truth Beyond the Sky The Truth Beyond the Sky by Andrew M. Crusoe by Andrew M. Crusoe

since I'm the new kid, it sounds good and I can get it in audio I will agree with Leonie
Reader Pick: Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon

message 5: by Pat (new)

Pat Powers | 12 comments Indie Pick: Date Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador Book 1) by E.M. Foner Date Night on Union Station by E.M. Foner. I've red it, it's an excellent and very original addition to the space opera pantheon, with some very appealing characters.

message 6: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Ellis Indie Pick: Hero at Large

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Okay ... peeking my nose out of my NaNoWriMo deadline to post a bit of pretty book cover bling :-)

READER PICK:

Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon Date Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador Book 1) by E.M. Foner Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon

INDIE PICK:

Ambassador Seeing Red by Patty Jansen The Thorne Legacy by J.D. Brink Hero at Large (The Hunter Legacy, #1) by Timothy Ellis

YOUNG ADULT FRIENDLY PICK:

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman The Truth Beyond the Sky by Andrew M. Crusoe

Keep 'em coming! I'll try to make time to come back and post the new covers over the weekend (just keep in mind I'm in that self-inflicted purgatory known as NaNoWriMo :-)

message 8: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments I got derailed by Fallout 4. That's why I have been gone for over a week.

Games. So many games.

It got in the way of book nerding. Then of course december star wars IIIIeeeeeeeeee!

But I digress.

Lets see....this time:

Indie:
Pursue the Past: Samair in Argos: Book 1
by Michael Kotcher

Reader:
A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why #1)
by Jean Johnson

Those two got picked because I am a biased fangirl of both.

Young adult:
Ill give Illuminae a shot. I saw it pop up on my amazon feed about 1 month ago anyways. Between that and this site I shall be broke for life. Oh my.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Braida | 51 comments For Indie Pick

Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell Quarter Share.

message 10: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 117 comments Oh dang I'd forgotten Lost Stars won a couple months ago. I finally got around to reading it and just finished it last night :P

Anyway...

For Reader pick, how about The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers . I didn't see it on the group shelf after a very quick perusal but I could have missed it.

For Indie pick, The Heretic The Heretic (Beyond the Wall, #1) by Lucas Bale by Lucas Bale. It's the only one of this series I've read so far but I thought it was well-done. Kind of Firefly-meets-Star-Wars.

For YA pick, I'll throw in my vote for Illuminae Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman . The level of #TeenAngst in the blurb is over 9000 but the structure sounds intriguing.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I should be writing!!! I still have 10,200 words to write by midnight on Monday for NaNoWriMo ... but I'm taking a nerd-break to post more book cover bling :-)

READER PICK:

Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon Date Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador Book 1) by E.M. Foner Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #1) by Jean Johnson The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

INDIE PICK:

Ambassador Seeing Red by Patty Jansen The Thorne Legacy by J.D. Brink Hero at Large (The Hunter Legacy, #1) by Timothy Ellis Pursue the Past Samair in Argos Book 1 by Michael Kotcher Quarter Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #1) by Nathan Lowell The Heretic (Beyond the Wall, #1) by Lucas Bale

YOUNG ADULT FRIENDLY PICK:

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman The Truth Beyond the Sky by Andrew M. Crusoe Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman

Keep 'em coming!

message 12: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 29, 2015 03:29AM) (new)

Jonathan Bergeron (scifi_jon) | 370 comments for reader: Shadow of the Scorpion A Novel of the Polity (Polity, #3) by Neal Asher

for indie: The Terminal War A Space Opera Novel (A Carson Mach Adventure) by A.C. Hadfield

Zeroes (Zeroes, #1) by Scott Westerfeld for YA. If we've done that I have nothing for YA.

message 13: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 303 comments I'd like to nominate Brave New Girls: Tales of Girls and Gadgets again for the YA pick. Of the other categories, I'm struggling to better what's already been suggested.

message 14: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 42 comments Hmm for various reasons I still haven't caught up with last months books, where does the time (to read) go ??
But my nominations for this month are

Reader Pick : - War against the Rull by A E van Vogt

And Indie Pick :- Pursue the Past, Samair in Argos by Michael Kotcher

message 15: by Missy (new)

Missy Profesora (missy_profesora) | 2 comments I also Love Date Night on Union Station (for spaceships and aliens). For YA, if you don't mind Dark, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
is a great read - and would make Your Rules appear in a good light by comparison! It just won YA Book of the Year

message 16: by Missy (new)

Missy Profesora (missy_profesora) | 2 comments BTW How do I get the book cover and title to appear, I could only get the link to show?

message 17: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
Missy wrote: "BTW How do I get the book cover and title to appear, I could only get the link to show?"

When you are typing in the comment box, just above the box is a grey link that says "add book/author". Click that, search for the book you want, then at the bottom of the selection box, there's a setting to tell it whether to display the title or the cover. If you want both to show, you have to do it twice.

message 18: by John (new)

John Abbott | 73 comments Reader: Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds

Indie: Fluency (Confluence, #1) by Jennifer Foehner Wells

message 19: by Rion (last edited Dec 01, 2015 12:51PM) (new)

Rion  (orion1) | 108 comments Reader pick: Remnant Population

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Okay ... grabbed the last of the nominations :-)

This thread is now officially closed. I'll go dump them into the randomizer and post them in a few!