Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > lindy-lane's 2016 old & new

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9560 comments Mod
Great idea! Happy Reading.

message 3: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Nice! I have only read Mary Poppins (two times, and not my favourite) and Watership Down, which I really liked :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I loved "Watership Down" when I read it years ago.

I've been wanting to read one of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books. I was thinking I'd include one of hers for bingo--classics of the Americas since "Anne of Green Gables" is the December read. Drat!

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
I've only read Watership Down, I remember it being excellent, one of my favorites.

message 6: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Feb 10, 2016 07:52AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 87 comments finished my first for this challenge this year. i found Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates to be very endearing. filled with wonderful moral/family values for young readers. wish more of our young readers of today were checking it out of our library. need to see about "marketing" it into their hands. targeting some of our homeschooling families as a goal for this this year.

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Congratulations on finishing your first book and good luck with the rest of your challenge :)

message 8: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Jun 02, 2016 05:51AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 87 comments the srp [summer reading program] is upon us at work [library] and i hope to read at least six of these classics during that time. hoping to "recruit" my young patrons to do the same. so over the memorial day weekend, i snuggled in and began these reading adventures; finishing two.

i had read the wilder books throughout my childhood but honestly don't remember having read These Happy Golden Years before. it was strange to think of little laura being old enough to be living away from the family home, teaching , and being in a courtship at age 15. then marriage at 18. the book is filled with romantic gestures. almanzo just makes one sigh over his focus and attentions. the book gave me the reader so many smiles and warm fuzzy feelings. i had read another gr reader's review of this book and they had mentioned their favorite quote from the book as being "The wind was blowing, but not too hard, and everyone was so happy and gay for it was only twenty degrees below zero and the sun shone." this brought a full belly chuckle to me as i came to this passage in this book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOIOG... provided a wonderful atmosphere to read the book by.

another memorial weekend reading journey was The Wolves of Willoughby Chase. i've been reading for 55 years but somehow had never picked up a book by this author. i was hooked from the first paragraph. looking forward to putting this book into the hands of the next young patron who asks me for an adventure/horror book. i think it would be a good fit for the lemony snicket fans as well. for me, it was that traditional "gothic" feel (think Charlotte Brontë).

message 9: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3958 comments Lindy-Lane wrote: "the srp [summer reading program] is upon us at work [library] and i hope to read at least six of these classics during that time. hoping to "recruit" my young patrons to do the same. so over the me..."

I remember reading all of Wilder's books, particularly These Happy Golden Years countless times. I can even picture where it sat on my elementary school library shelf. It makes me happy to think of new readers enjoying these books too!