Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Christine's 2016 Old&New Classics Challenge

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Dec 06, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

Christine | 1218 comments I'm hoping I will be more successful with this challenge in 2016 than I was in 2015! I will have to try to choose my books carefully.

Completed: 10/12

Old School
1. The Picture of Dorian Gray
2. Emma
3. The Divine Comedy

New School
4. The Name of the Rose
5. The Man in the High Castle
6. Their Eyes Were Watching God

Wild Card Six
7. Girl With a Pearl Earring
8. The Birth of Venus
9. 11/22/63
10. When Christ and His Saints Slept
11. Jane Eyre
12. Far from the Madding Crowd

Alternates
1. The Return of the Native
2. The Kitchen House

message 2: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 123 comments I really liked The Picture of Dorian Gray
It made me want to read some more of his works. Maybe i should add one of his to my list.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments Cosmic wrote: "I really liked The Picture of Dorian Gray
It made me want to read some more of his works. Maybe i should add one of his to my list."

I have actually tried to read The Picture of Dorian Gray before and DNF'd it, but I want to give it another try. Hopefully it will go better this time!

Most of the books currently on my list are chosen to complete various reading challenges I have currently in progress and have been struggling to finish. I am trying to focus on getting some of them completed finally!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I read The Name of the Rose this year. I remember wondering why it was supposed to be some difficult, hyper-intellectual book because it's actually such a fun, fast-paced page turner! You have other great stuff on here, but I have a feeling you'll love that one :)

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9339 comments Mod
Good luck on the challenge. Looks doable.

message 6: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Name of the Rose is so good! 1,2 and 7 are also good reads in my opinion. Though Emma is not my favourite Austen.

message 7: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4853 comments Mod
I’ve read The Picture of Dorian Gray and 11/22/63, both are good reads. Especially 11/22/63, it was my first Stephen King read. I’ve been hooked ever since. I am considering reading The Name of the Rose this year. It fits the Bingo challenge and is a past group read, which I keep chipping away at, hoping to finish the list someday. Enjoy the challenge.

message 8: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments The whole Divine Comedy? Good luck! That would be way too much poetry for me ;) ...

The Man in the High Castle sounds great. Maybe we should nominate that as a new school read.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I would go for that. It's in my TBR for this year.

message 10: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Good luck, looks like a great mix. I read Girl with a Pearl Earring this year and loved it, then I watched the film and loved that too!

I've also just started listening to Emma today, not sure where it's going to fit in my preferred Austen list yet. I hope you enjoy it :)

message 11: by Christine (last edited Dec 03, 2015 02:23PM) (new)

Christine | 1218 comments I'm really looking forward to The Name of the Rose. I've heard a lot of praise for it.

Emma is the last of Austen's major novels that I have not yet read. I read the other five this past year and enjoyed them all.

I've had Girl With a Pearl Earring waiting for me on Kindle and audio for awhile and I want to finally get around to reading it. I didn't realize it had been adapted into a film. I will have to check that out after I read the book.

11/22/63 is a book I've been thinking about reading for awhile. I like historical fiction, and as alternate history it sounds very interesting. Stephen King is a great author, but in the past I've found some of his books just a little too creepy for me! (I remember having nightmares after reading Carrie in my teens.) I am resolved to give it a try, but I reserve the right to DNF. ;-)

message 12: by Sarah (last edited Dec 16, 2015 11:36AM) (new)

Sarah | 587 comments The Divine Comedy is on my list too.

I blame my dad for that. I mentioned doing this and he asked if I was going to use it as my motivation to finally read The Divine Comedy. I initially said no, thinking it a bit too heavy for something like this. Then I gave it some more thought and decided to just do it.

Have you decided which translation you plan to use?

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments Sarah wrote: "The Divine Comedy is on my list too...

Have you decided which translation you plan to use? "

I already own an audio edition of the Clive James translation, and I also have a paper copy of the John Ciardi translation sitting on my bookshelves. I honestly have not done a ton of research into translations. I know there are a lot of options for this particular book! Which one are you planning to use?

message 14: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4830 comments Mod
I am planning to re-read The Inferno this year. I don't think I have the fortitude to take on the whole Comedy again. I liked The Girl in the Pearl Earring. Jane Eyre and Return of the Native rank highly with me. I think you have a great list here.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Christine wrote: "Sarah wrote: "The Divine Comedy is on my list too...

Have you decided which translation you plan to use? "

I already own an audio edition of the Clive James translation, and I als..."

There are so many different translations that it is kind of ridiculous. I spent awhile researching the different options and reading reviews of them. It was enough to make my head spin!

In the end I purchased both the physical book and the audiobook versions of the Clive James translation.

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments I finished The Name of the Rose today. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading that one. What an interesting book!

message 17: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Christine wrote: "I finished The Name of the Rose today. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading that one. What an interesting book!"

Isnt it...?? I want to re read it again...

message 18: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments siriusedward wrote: "Christine wrote: "I finished The Name of the Rose today. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading that one. What an interesting book!"

Isnt it...?? I want to re read it again..."

it's come 3rd, 3rd and 4th in the last 3 months Re-Visit The Shelf Poll and is nominated again for June - if it doesn't win this time I suspect a Buddy Read will break out!

message 19: by Pink (last edited Apr 12, 2016 05:56AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Christine wrote: "I finished The Name of the Rose today. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading that one. What an interesting book!"

Glad to know you liked it!

I've currently got it on reserve from the library, so I'll be up for a buddy read if it keeps losing the polls.

message 20: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4853 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "I finished The Name of the Rose today. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading that one. What an interesting book!"

This is also on my Old and New challenge, I'm not sure what to make out of "interesting"

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Very true Bob, that could mean a whole lot of things! Do tell us more Christine!

message 22: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4830 comments Mod
Having read it, I understand Christine's "interesting". It isn't like anything else you've read probably. I personally loved it.

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments Pink wrote: "Very true Bob, that could mean a whole lot of things! Do tell us more Christine!"

It's sort of a mixture of philosophy, theology, medieval politics, and Sherlock Holmes, set in a 1300's monastery. Not an easy read, and it got a bit slow for me in a few spots, but overall pretty fascinating. Apparently Umberto Eco was an expert on that time period.

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments I finished The Man in the High Castle today. I was excited to read it because the premise of the book seemed so interesting. However, I am disappointed. I don't understand where this book was supposed to be going or what I am supposed to get out of it. The ending seemed really absurdly meta. But maybe I am just being dense, I don't know. I'm glad to check another book off my challenge list, though!

message 25: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Christine wrote: "Pink wrote: "Very true Bob, that could mean a whole lot of things! Do tell us more Christine!"

It's sort of a mixture of philosophy, theology, medieval politics, and Sherlock Holmes, set in a 1300..."

Well that is a mix! I'm looking forward to it.

message 26: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Christine wrote: "I finished The Man in the High Castle today. I was excited to read it because the premise of the book seemed so interesting. However, I am disappointed. I don't understand where this ..."

That's too bad. I hope your next read will be good!

I try not to come into a book with expectations, because I think the last time I did, they fell very short. I even try not to read reviews or the blurb, especially the latter because it can sometimes spoil it for you aside from building expectations.

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments Today I finished Their Eyes Were Watching God. For some unknown reason I really didn't have any desire to read this book. (I chose it for my list because I knew it was being assigned for a class I'm taking.) However, I found it amazing and ended up giving it 5 stars. The writing is quite poetic in places! I did listen to it partly in audio, which helped me get the hang of the dialect used in the characters' dialogue. I'm glad I read it!

message 28: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Christine wrote: "Today I finished Their Eyes Were Watching God. For some unknown reason I really didn't have any desire to read this book. (I chose it for my list because I knew it was being assigned f..."

Yay! That's up next for me--so glad to hear how much you enjoyed it.

message 29: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4853 comments Mod
I bought a copy awhile back at a used book store, glad to know I didn't waste my money.

message 30: by Susie (new)

Susie | 742 comments Part of my Old and New Challenge too...love seeing all the great reviews! Probably won't get to it until summer though...

message 31: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Christine wrote: "Today I finished Their Eyes Were Watching God. For some unknown reason I really didn't have any desire to read this book. (I chose it for my list because I knew it was being assigned f..."

I love it when I am happily surprised by how good a book is.

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments It's been awhile since I've made any progress with this challenge, but I finished The Birth of Venus today and can check one off of my list! I'm hoping to get a few more of these read in the next couple of months, but I don't know how likely I am to finish by the end of the year.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments "The Birth of Venus" is on my tbr pile.

I'll have to see if any of my libraries have a copy.

message 34: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Congrats on finishing another book Christine. Half complete is a great achievement already, it doesn't matter if you don't finish as long as you have fun! Though if you do read a couple more books this year I'd go with The Picture of Dorian Gray and Girl With a Pearl Earring which I thought was fantastic!

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments Pink wrote: "Though if you do read a couple more books this year I'd go with The Picture of Dorian Gray and Girl With a Pearl Earring which I thought was fantastic! "

Thanks for the recommendations! Those two are on my "hope to read" list for this fall. I have tried to read Dorian Gray before and DNF'd it, but I think I was perhaps not in the right mood to read it at the time. I will try it again. :-)

message 36: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I'm also doing very slowly with this challenge and I most positively won't finish this. But there is always next year and new challenges ;)

message 37: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments I just finished Emma. I'm on a roll now! ;-)

message 38: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Woohoo, looking good!

message 39: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments I did it! I read The Picture of Dorian Gray! The group read starting tomorrow gave me the push I needed to pick it back up and try to read it again. It still wasn't one of my favorite reads, but I'm glad I can finally cross it off my TBR list.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Congrats!

message 41: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) Christine wrote: "I did it! I read The Picture of Dorian Gray! The group read starting tomorrow gave me the push I needed to pick it back up and try to read it again. It still wasn't one of my favorite r..."

Excellent! I'm planning on reading it with the group, but have never tried it before. We'll see. Congrats on your progress!

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments There is a glimmer of hope that I might be able to complete this challenge this year. I am currently reading When Christ and His Saints Slept, and planning The Divine Comedy for December. If I can get one more from my list in before the end of the year, I will be done. For next year, I think the first criteria for my list will be books that are SHORT to increase my odds of finishing! ;-)

message 43: by Sarah (last edited Nov 28, 2016 04:19PM) (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Christine wrote: "There is a glimmer of hope that I might be able to complete this challenge this year. I am currently reading When Christ and His Saints Slept, and planning The Divine Comedy..."

I'm still slowly plodding through The Divine Comedy myself.

message 44: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Christine wrote: "I did it! I read The Picture of Dorian Gray! The group read starting tomorrow gave me the push I needed to pick it back up and try to read it again. It still wasn't one of my favorite r..."

Good for you. I've still got that one to finish.

message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments Well, I am going to concede defeat this year. I am currently reading When Christ and His Saints Slept on my kindle. I am enjoying it and planning to finish it, but it's a longer book and I'm not sure I will get it done by the end of the year. That would still leave me one book short, and I don't think I will realistically complete any of my other choices in the next 2.5 weeks with all the business of the holidays going on. That's okay though - I'm glad I read the 10 books I did!