2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > December Challenge: Presents

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassandra (last edited Nov 28, 2015 11:39AM) (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments PRESENTS CHALLENGE
Duration: December 1 - December 31, 2015

What kind of book would you buy as a present for your friend that fits this category?
(the list is taken from The 10 Different Kinds of Friends We Have)

This month, read books that either have one of these ten kinds of friends as a central character, or remind you of a beloved friend, and at the end of each book decide will you be giving/recommending that book to him/her?

1. The Intellectual: that friend that gets you thinking about life.
2. The Fun One: that friend that gets you to chill out and have a great time.
3. The Mom: that friend that is kind and loving but never sugar coats anything.
4. The Dad: that friend that is always pushing you to be your best.
5. The Older Brother: that friend that watches your back especially in relationships.
6. The Younger Sister: that friend you are really close to who you can tell anything.
7. The Talker: that friend that adds a little bit of drama to your life.
8. The Listener: that friend that is always there to help you solve a problem.
9. The Inspiration: that friend that makes you wonder where all that energy comes from.
10. The Storyteller: that friend that is so entertaining you always invite them to the party.

Kadijah Michelle is the creator of this challenge. Thank you, Kadijah!
Thank you to Blagica who volunteered to lead this challenge.

message 2: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments I'll join for 5 and lead it this looks like it will challenge me to think outside the box

message 3: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Awesome! Thank you, Blagica. :)

message 4: by Nicole (last edited Dec 31, 2015 01:20PM) (new)

Nicole | 272 comments I'm just going to see how many of them I can get to :)

✓ 1. The Intellectual: that friend that gets you thinking about life. Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
✓ 2. The Fun One: that friend that gets you to chill out and have a great time. Unnatural Creatures
✓ 3. The Mom: that friend that is kind and loving but never sugar coats anything. Midnight Jesus: Where Struggle, Faith, and Grace Collide
✓ 4. The Dad: that friend that is always pushing you to be your best. The Chimes
✓ 5. The Older Brother: that friend that watches your back especially in relationships. Wayfaring Stranger
✓ 6. The Younger Sister: that friend you are really close to who you can tell anything. Crime and Punishment
✓ 7. The Talker: that friend that adds a little bit of drama to your life. The Bonfire of the Vanities
✓ 8. The Listener: that friend that is always there to help you solve a problem. Confessions
✓ 9. The Inspiration: that friend that makes you wonder where all that energy comes from. Ashley Bell
✓ 10. The Storyteller: that friend that is so entertaining you always invite them to the party. Birdman

message 5: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (last edited Dec 31, 2015 01:44PM) (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Participants

Blagica 4/4
Nicole 10/10 complete!
Nadia 0/10
Sharon 3/3 complete
Sam F 5/5 Complete
Elizabeth 0/10

message 6: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Uhlenhaker | 169 comments I'm in for all ten!

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 740 comments I will try for 3 may surprise myself and get more ...

message 8: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 1093 comments I will try for 5 - see how it goes. Thanks!

message 9: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments welcome to the challenge to you both.

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments I have read my first book for this challenge

1. The Intellectual: that friend that gets you thinking about life.Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders

message 11: by Avion (last edited Dec 22, 2015 01:42AM) (new)

Avion Koenig (avionowl820) | 7 comments I'm definitely going to try this out!
1/10

1. The Intellectual: that friend that gets you thinking about life.
3. The Mom: that friend that is kind and loving but never sugar coats anything.
5. The Older Brother: that friend that watches your back especially in relationships.
6. The Younger Sister: that friend you are really close to who you can tell anything.
7. The Talker: that friend that adds a little bit of drama to your life. --
Sinking of the Titanic: Eyewitness Accounts
9. The Inspiration: that friend that makes you wonder where all that energy comes from.
10. The Storyteller: that friend that is so entertaining you always invite them to the party.

message 12: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Welcome to the challenge!

message 13: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 1093 comments Here are the five I've read to date - I may add more now!

1. The Intellectual: that friend that gets you thinking about life. – A Christmas Carol

3. The Mom: that friend that is kind and loving but never sugar coats anything. – Olive Kitteridge - I actually would recommend this book to my mom!

5. The Older Brother: that friend that watches your back especially in relationships. – Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

7. The Talker: that friend that adds a little bit of drama to your life. – The Martian - I think my friend will love this book if she hasn't seen the movie already.

9. The Inspiration: that friend that makes you wonder where all that energy comes from. – Treasure Island

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments way to go on completing your challenge Sam! which book is your favorite?

message 15: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments 6. The Younger Sister: that friend you are really close to who you can tell anything.Witches of East End

message 16: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments so so sorry Nicole I scanned right over your post congrats on reading your first two books

message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments hope everyone is enjoying their books and almost ready for the holidays!

message 18: by Sam F (last edited Dec 31, 2015 08:42AM) (new)

Sam F | 1093 comments I actually really loved the stories in Olive Kitteridge. It reminded me how interconnected everyone is. I also loved Dickens' A Christmas Carol - I was surprised that I hadn't read it before given how pervasive the characters are still in our media/lives.

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 272 comments Blagica wrote: "so so sorry Nicole I scanned right over your post congrats on reading your first two books"

And I missed your comment. :) Thank you!

message 20: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments 10. The Storyteller: that friend that is so entertaining you always invite them to the party. Crazy Bitch

message 21: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Sweetheart4. The Dad: that friend that is always pushing you to be your best.

message 22: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 740 comments PRESENTS CHALLENGE
Duration: December 1 - December 31, 2015
go for 3 - done
What kind of book would you buy as a present for your friend that fits this category?
(the list is taken from The 10 Different Kinds of Friends We Have)

This month, read books that either have one of these ten kinds of friends as a central character, or remind you of a beloved friend, and at the end of each book decide will you be giving/recommending that book to him/her?

1. The Intellectual: that friend that gets you thinking about life. Kinsey
X (Kinsey Millhone, #24) by Sue Grafton
7. The Talker: that friend that adds a little bit of drama to your life. Kendra
Obsession by Traci Hunter Abramson
8. The Listener: that friend that is always there to help you solve a problem. John or #4 would be the listener
The Revenge of Seven (Lorien Legacies, #5) by Pittacus Lore

message 23: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments congrats Sharon!

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 272 comments Updated msg 4 - completed all 10!

message 25: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments congrats

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 272 comments Blagica wrote: "congrats"

Thanks!

message 27: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments I just wanted to say congrats to everyone who finished this challange just in case I skipped someone, and awesome progress to everyone who took part. happy reading in 2016.