Jewish Book Club discussion

Introduce Yourself Here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by ✡ Shira (last edited Nov 27, 2015 12:42PM) (new)

✡ Shira Hoffman (jewishbookclub) | 86 comments Mod
Shalom Everyone!

First, I'd like to say that I am thrilled that this group has grown to 161 members!

Whether you are here to just suggest books for the group to read; find books to add to your own reading list; participate in the book discussions; lurk around to see what readers are saying; or all of the above - you are very welcome to be a part of the Jewish Reading Group. - They say it takes a village. ;)

As for me, I am a Professional Actor and a produced Playwright. I know I'm showing my vanity, but I'm very proud to have My Own Page on the Dramatist's Guild's Website. That was quite an accomplishment for me since I had to have written a 'produced play' that people actually paid money to come see, in order to qualify for consideration for membership. I am also a single mom to twins born in June 2005.

I spend what little free time I have writing, so don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't answer your emails or posts promptly. I keep pretty busy.

I am excited to be a part of such a wonderful group of people!

שָׁלוֹם
description

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (hrhrach) | 8 comments Thank you so much for this group. I have found some books that sound good; others I already read still others I've bought n plan to or just plan to.
It's nice to make this thread and find some like minded folks too. I hope we are more active this year and read n discuss some books together. It's possible I have missed some tho. I go thru spurts of being on here 5 times a day or not much for weeks. But I have gotten pretty good even when I'm not feeling well for a while of at least checking in n letting less time go between visits n once I check back I'm usually back to being on here daily again in no time. I find the less time I waste on face book and words with friends etc the more books I get to read faster and then of course I am here more. I buy in splurges often so I own many books I've yet to list as want to read tho I do also already own many of those I listed and likewise I could never list the gazillion books I read in the first 39 years of my life before finding this site so I haven't tried but have just added a few I ran across. If I tried it would make my OCD worse bc I'd know it was not complete. I'm the type that won't recall most titles until you either tell me about the plot or I start reading and realize I have already.
I'm in the USA...NY born n bred n I married a NJ man. I have 4 kids and am now a widow but the NY real estate prices preclude me moving back and honestly tho 2 were born in NY my kids don't ever recall living there and so to them NJ is home. Ny is where our relatives all live aside from a few on hubby's side and my cousins that have many of them made Aaliyah and moved to Israel.
I'm a stay at home mom who has worked in retail and reception and child care as well as studied acting at a few really good schools in NYC and lived there for a year at Age 19/20. I moved back due to room mate from he!! Then for a time I bred and showed Champion Akitas, my loves of my life for a few years but that hobby was derailed by meeting my hubby and having children. I've continued to have Akitas in my home but haven't been back to a show in Many years. My other love is my kitty cat. My kids are teens so I both love them and need Xanax when they're home LOL
Another reason I don't work even tho I could use the money and the kids are older now (13,15,17 and 18) is I have some major health challenges the main one being Gaucher's Disease. Since we are all or mostly Jews here maybe some of you have heard of it? My blood counts and lack of clotting, organ involvement and enlargement and extreme fatigue due to low oxygenation are serious but as far as affecting my daily quality of life /making me largely homebound bc I can't walk far any more the biggest thing is pain. My spine is a serious mess long story short. My arms n legs are not great either. I mention this bc I have to say I think reading and experiencing and traveling via books- while not maybe quite the same as really traveling the globe and living a super exciting life, has been a sanity saver for me. I honestly don't know what I would keep my mind busy with if not for books and now Nook or kindle makes it possible to shop from home and 24/7 no matter how bad a day I have mobility wise I can get the latest release or my latest desired book and not worry about getting to the store or if my one of my arms acts up (things like extreme sciatica and severe tendinitis crop up but Tg are not most days they just take weeks to clear up once they occur ) the nook is so much lighter and easier to hold than a heavy book.
Along with reading being in these groups and taking part in group and Buddy reads have added some wonderful and very insightful ppl into my life and I'm so happy to have found good reads and grateful for all those other reader friends who keep my brain sharper:)
That got longer than planned; and it won't be the last time but I do make an effort to keep things concise. I have ADD too so if I get distracted while writing sometimes I have trouble summarizing. This is why I don't usually mention much re my health bc it just sounds like one long medical report or that I want pity. But honestly just good to let ppl know where you are coming from. I look fwd to chatting with all of you!!

message 3: by John (last edited Nov 28, 2015 03:19PM) (new)

John Golan | 3 comments Hi Chava Shira,

Thanks again for moderating this group. I've found some great ideas paging through the bookshelf of past and future recommendations. Like Dreamers goes to the top of that list.

Let us know if you'd rather we introduce ourselves under your thread here, or if you'd rather we start individual threads under the "Introductions" section.

Thanks for keeping the discussion going.

John

message 4: by ✡ Shira (new)

Shalom John,

I'm happy that you are enjoying the group and finding new books to read.

Introductions can be made in this thread or you can create a new subject in this folder and title it as you will.

Happy Reading!

שלומ
description

message 5: by ✡ Shira (last edited Nov 30, 2015 05:06PM) (new)

Shalom Rachel,

Wow. You sure do have a lot on your plate! Thank you for sharing.

I'm happy that you are enjoying traveling vicariously. This coming year should be full
of adventures for you with the great reads we have in front of us.

Happy Reading!

שלומ
description

message 6: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Katzmann (iwritemonsters) | 7 comments Hey, everybody!

I'm a Jewish fantasy writer. I'm had a story published about a rabbi, a ghost, and Lilith in a Baby's R Us in Ain't Superstitious, and I write a mystery about a Jewish vampire detective clearing the name of a framed golem (Murder With Monsters). Currently working on books two and three of that, one of which is a little bit of the Bungalow Colonies mixed with a little bit of Jason Voorhees.

My background is a bit mixed. My mom's family was nonpracticing since Grandpa lost his faith in World War 2, and my dad's family was Orthodox. My dad made sure we had separate utensils for meat and dairy while my Mom snuck Big Macs in through the backyard.

We have interesting holidays, let me tell you.

I live in South Florida, also known as the Sixth Borough of New York, and I look forward to meeting everybody. L'Chaim!

message 7: by John (new)

John Golan | 3 comments Hello everyone,

I am a reading addict, mostly surrounding historical Jewish or Israeli themes or current events - although I do occasionally squeeze in a novel (usually something that my wife or daughters are reading at the time). My favorite poet, far and away, is Yehuda Amichai. His ability to capture the surreal world of life in the cruciable of the Middle East remains unparrelleled.

I grew up in Michigan, where I attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and where I met my future wife. Today I live with my wife and three children in Connecticut. I am an aerospace engineer by profession, with over two decades of industry experience.

My first book (on Israel's cancelled Lavi program) is due out in hardcover this coming January:
http://www.amazon.com/Lavi-United-Sta...

For those who might not be familiar with it, from 1980 to 1987, the Lavi fighter was the largest weapons development effort ever undertaken by the State of Israel - either before or since. In many ways, the Lavi became a microcosm for both the U.S.-Israel relationship, and for Israeli society itself: a study in the ambitions, fears, and internal divisions that have shaped each of them.

I also post periodic book reviews on my personal blog site - mostly focused on aviation topics:
http://john-golan.blogspot.com

Glad to be a part of this website.

John

message 8: by Devorah (last edited Dec 30, 2015 09:55PM) (new)

Devorah Kalani Hi
I have just finished my first book and it is a memoir of working in Israel with K-9s to protect Jews. Scary to write about oneself--so before I would even tackle this, I wrote an entire novella. You wouldn't think someone who has worked on camera as actor and also sang professionally would be scared of writing about themselves--but this had to be the most stage fright I have ever experienced.

Everything happened thru a series of dreams, even the title. Wondering if this will inspire anyone else to ask the question?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0996...

Thank you,
Devorah

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (hrhrach) | 8 comments Hi again everyone. Just wanted to say I am enjoying getting to know a bit about you all and look forward to reading with you! Those of you with books out or soon to be mazel tov and I will check them out soon!!

message 10: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (kristismo-drrhonda) | 30 comments Hi . I am Dr Rhonda, and I am a Psychologist with a specialization in working with children and adults, in the areas of neuropsychological, clinical, and educational psychology. I am Jewish, and my favorite reads are mystery/suspense and anything Jewish. i have a fondness for World War II history, I am excited about joining your group and have already found the book that you are currently reading and will be picking it up tomorrow. Thank you.

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) Thanks for posting. I couldn't help but notice that you enjoy Jewish historical fiction, especially "World War II history," Shameless as it is, may I recommend "Jacob's Courage: A Holocaust Love Story" (2007, Mazo Publishers & 2015 Texas Tech University Press)? Jewish Book Council calls it, "a tribute to the triumphant human spirit."

Jacob's Courage is available in print and as an e-book at virtually all major retailers. Trailer here: https://youtu.be/l9N7ctaeg1E.

As a reviewer for The New York Journal of Books, I encourage you to share valued Jewish titles here, so that I will have a wider distribution of books to consider for review.

Thanks for commenting.

Chuck

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter | 8 comments Dr. Rhonda,

Following in the footsteps of my good friend, Charles (Chuck) Weinblatt, I want to recommend to you my memoir, "Memories of Evil -- Recalling a Word War II Childhood." The book is available on Amazon.com/books.

This memoir is based on fragments of my memory of events distant in time, backed by research of verifiable historical facts.

Peter Kubicek

message 13: by Philip (new)

Philip Mann | 28 comments Hi Everyone. I'm Phil Mann, and without making too much of a sales pitch, I've written a jewish paranormal. It's called Dark Muse, and in it I invent a new being, not quite human, not quite divine. She( almost always a woman ) is not only charged with inspiring the gifted, but also helping them end their own lives when that's called for.

The publisher is Double Dragon, of Markham , Ontario, and is set for release in November of this year.

message 14: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (kristismo-drrhonda) | 30 comments Charles wrote: "Thanks for posting. I couldn't help but notice that you enjoy Jewish historical fiction, especially "World War II history," Shameless as it is, may I recommend "Jacob's Courage: A Holocaust Love St..."

Peter
The old footage that you have included in the Trailer is quite unsettling and unbelievably sad. It does add to the desire of wanting to read this e-book. Although not a fan of the Romance -Style, it is definitely a topic that I feel that if we do not write, talk, and read about the crazies and disbelievers continue to state it never happened when we know that it did, and as a result the Jewish faith is dwindling. How horrific, to lose so many loved ones, because of their faith, is what has always made me ask those that I have been fortunate enough to have met who have lived through the experience, and who come out with even a stronger faith and love for others. They all seem to have some common threads in that many are successful in business. It seems that they are willing to take major chances that others are not, in that they feel that they have lost everything and have NOTHING and NO ONE to lose, whereas the rest of us do not usually have this kind of mentality and drive. THANK YOU I will be following up on this lead, and let me know if you will be having any drawings for the e-book as well. Be well. G-d Bless.

message 15: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Katzmann (iwritemonsters) | 7 comments Philip wrote: "Hi Everyone. I'm Phil Mann, and without making too much of a sales pitch, I've written a jewish paranormal. It's called Dark Muse, and in it I invent a new being, not quite human, not quite divine...."

Sounds cool. Did you call her the Shekinah? She sounds a lot like the mystical concept of the Shabbas Bribe.

message 16: by Philip (new)

Philip Mann | 28 comments KT

No, but you're very close. There are two female leads, the good one is Vi ( as in eye) Gold, the other is Lee Marvin. Vi is adventurous and strong minded, but good. Lee is murderous and willful. Yet she keeps the Shabbos, and believe in God more strongly that anybody except the rabbi in the story.

And her original name is Delikah.

message 17: by Philip (new)

Philip Mann | 28 comments I wanted, at one time, to include Lilith in the plot, in an entirely new light. But it would have been very complicated.

message 18: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Katzmann (iwritemonsters) | 7 comments The best Jewish fiction book I'm reading is The Dyke and the Dybbuk, about a lesbian cabbie who get possessed by a down-on-her-luck demon. It's really funny so far; I haven't read a possession book before where the demon is the narrator. Mel Brook's Exorcist, if you will.

message 19: by Philip (new)

Philip Mann | 28 comments I did something like that in my book, with the anti-heroine batting both ways. She also, much later, debates an atheist about whether God exists. That part was fun.

message 20: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Katzmann (iwritemonsters) | 7 comments Philip wrote: "I did something like that in my book, with the anti-heroine batting both ways. She also, much later, debates an atheist about whether God exists. That part was fun."

Reminds me of the part in my book where Isaac Asimov stuns my protagonist by revealing he's an atheist. Considering that it's common knowledge in my world that everything from ghosts to golems exist, that was the most frustrating thing my vampire protagonist had ever heard.

That's when she decided she liked him.

message 21: by Philip (new)

Philip Mann | 28 comments Sounds like fun. My character is not allowed to prove it, even if she can, since that would violate the other person`s free will. It gets dicey.

message 22: by Charles (new)

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) Peter wrote: "Dr. Rhonda,

Following in the footsteps of my good friend, Charles (Chuck) Weinblatt, I want to recommend to you my memoir, "Memories of Evil -- Recalling a Word War II Childhood." The book is avai..."

Peter's memoir is terrific. I urge you to take a look at it; at least read my review of it at The New York Journal of Books.

message 23: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (kristismo-drrhonda) | 30 comments Charles wrote: "Peter wrote: "Dr. Rhonda,

Following in the footsteps of my good friend, Charles (Chuck) Weinblatt, I want to recommend to you my memoir, "Memories of Evil -- Recalling a Word War II Childhood." Th..."

Thank you I will.

message 24: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp | 60 comments Hello everyone. I've written a story that encompasses a unique journey. My great grandparents immigrated from the Ukraine to Argentina prior the Russian revolution. In 1962, the year of my birth, my parents immigrated to the United States fleeing a Peronista government and raging antisemitism. When my dad lands a job with Pan American Airlines, we become jet-setters; crisscrossing the continents for our summer vacations, not to mention Spring Breaks, Winter breaks and even Thanksgiving weekends.

This is a story about a young, immigrant girl on a journey; how she finds a place for herself and comes to terms with her heritage and culture.

The 21st Annual Writer's Digest Awards provided the following review: "...The elegant and detailed writing brings the family to life. The mix of cultures is also captured well; the author shows a good grasp of history and the ability to draw a reader right into the heart of the family. Delightful and nicely written book."

I hope you take a quick peek...With Love, The Argentina Family: Memories of Tango and Kugel; Mate with Knishes

I'm working on a Speculative/Historical Fiction called, 'Becoming Malka'. Very excited about it...Clean read, light entertainment...a bisel Fiddler on the Roof, a dash of Victorian sensibilities and smidgen of Back to the Future :-)

message 25: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (liloh-p) | 20 comments Re Peter’s Holocaust memoir “Memories of Evil” and Mirta’s memoir “With Love, The Argentina Family”:

Anyone interested in checking out these memoirs might also be interested in reading my reviews of these books. Here are the links:

“Memories of Evil”
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

“With Love, The Argentina Family”:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 26: by Lilo (last edited Feb 11, 2016 09:36PM) (new)

Lilo (liloh-p) | 20 comments Oh, dear! Could it be that I never introduced myself when I joined this group, quite a while ago? I thought I had. I must be getting senile.

Well, I am German and grew up in Hitler's Germany during WWII. My family members and relatives were all anti-Nazi, and my adoptive grandmother almost landed in Dachau for making a derogative remark about Hitler.

I joined Goodreads in April 2012 with the purpose of building an author platform for my 3 books written in English language (which are still not published due to all kinds of problems). However, I soon found myself spending half my time on Goodreads battling diehard Nazis, neo-Nazis, and Nazi-romantics. (It hasn't been so bad lately.)

I have a special place in my heart for Jews, whom I consider, in average, more intelligent and also more ethical than other races and ethnic groups, in average.

What else is to say about me? I love cats (we presently have 25 of them), and I am a 105% computer-idiot.

I still can hardly believe that I have not introduced myself before in this group. Could it be that old pages got archived?

message 27: by Philip (new)

Philip Mann | 28 comments Mirta

First, glad to meet you.
Second, that's the exact reason I'm not so keen on having a very public wesbsite to promote my book. All those lunatics, anti-Semites out there. I'd rather just use signings, meet and greet affairs. Life is too short for dealing with other stuff.

message 28: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Katzmann (iwritemonsters) | 7 comments Philip wrote: "Mirta

First, glad to meet you.
Second, that's the exact reason I'm not so keen on having a very public wesbsite to promote my book. All those lunatics, anti-Semites out there. I'd rather just us..."

Just remember what Norman Spinrad said: "The opprobrium of assholes is a badge of honor."

message 29: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 5 comments Hi, all! I'm Shaina Bacharach, a Conservative rabbi in Green Bay, WI. And like most in this group, I love to read. I don't have suggestions right now, but I'm sure I will. I look forward to participating in discussions and seeing recommendations. Am looking forward to being part of the group.

message 30: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 5 comments Hi, all! I'm Shaina Bacharach, a Conservative rabbi in Green Bay, WI. And like most in this group, I love to read. I don't have suggestions right now, but I'm sure I will. I look forward to participating in discussions and seeing recommendations. Am looking forward to being part of the group.

message 31: by Philip (new)

Philip Mann | 28 comments Hi, Shaina, and welcome to the village.

message 32: by Bernice (new)

Bernice McFadden | 1 comments Hello,
My name is Bernice L. McFadden and I'm a bestselling, award-winning author. My newest novel is The Book of Harlan about American musicians who are imprisoned in Buchenwald prison camp during World War II. The Book of Harlan

message 33: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Katzmann (iwritemonsters) | 7 comments Barack Obama Mandela wrote: "I am not aware of "Jewish fiction". "

Jewish fiction uses narrative to illustrate some aspect of Jewish life and culture. My favorite that comes to mind (aside from my own) is Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union, although my Dad just read and enjoyed The Mathematician's Shiva.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul Barack, have you read The Secrets of Chabad and or the Rebbi: the life a Teaching.

message 35: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 3 comments Paul wrote: "Barack, have you read The Secrets of Chabad and or the Rebbi: the life a Teaching."

Barack Obama Mandela wrote: "Shalom to Everyone:

My name is Barack. I am an Afro-American-Israeli. I lived in Israel for almost 6 years. I am a member of the World Jewish Congress.

Jewishly, I read mostly non-fiction books s..."

Barack,
One of my favorite Jewish fiction books is: "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks. It reads like a thriller but is based on fact so I think you will enjoy it and learn about Jewish History also.

message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul Barrack there is an annotated Siddur app that is very good for Apple products.

message 37: by Charles (new)

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) Barack wrote: "Shalom to Everyone:

My name is Barack. I am an Afro-American-Israeli. I lived in Israel for almost 6 years. I am a member of the World Jewish Congress.

Jewishly, I read mostly non-fiction books s..."

Jewish fiction is often very evocative and compelling, offering a glimpse into the past, which is the foundation for our Jewish culture today. The classic writers of modern Yiddish literature, Sholem Abramovitsh (Mendele Moykher Sforim), Sholem Aleichem, and Isaac Leybush Peretz are commanding and well known as storytellers and novelists with a focus on the Shtetl, the small Jewish communities scattered across Russia and Eastern Europe. There are also Sephardic examples.

Today there is a new wave of Jewish fiction, covering an immense range of topics. I wrote an epic coming-of-age love story that takes place during the Holocaust ("Jacob's Courage" 2007 Mazo Publishers, 2015 Texas Tech University Press, https://www.amazon.com/Jacobs-Courage...). It's a wild ride and a passionate love story. However, I also designed it as a teaching tool. After several years of Holocaust research, I had the ammunition to make my novel a teaching tool. The reader may find the experience a thrilling roller-coaster ride of emotions. But that reader may also learn some new and valuable facts about the history of our people and the pure terror of genocide.

Jewish fiction and historical fiction. One and the same. The reader of Jewish fiction may learn about the history of our people through the eyes of powerful and compelling protagonists. By enveloping the facts of our history as a people within evocative stories, the author can reach (and teach) mush larger groups - Jewish and gentile. Each time it is a learning experience. The educated reader will be less likely to succumb to mendacious Holocaust deniers and revisionists.

Fiction enables us to examine the deeply-held convictions and attitudes that exist in Jewish communities today, as they have been sifted by time and sorted by location and experiences. The heart of Jewish life today (not religious life but social life) is visible through the short stories and novels of Eastern European Jewish writers.

There's nothing wrong with reading the Torah, bible or any non-fiction aspect of Jewish life. But you won't really learn much about the Jewish CULTURE, without reading Jewish fiction. I encourage it.

message 38: by John (new)

John Golan | 3 comments Barack wrote: John: I don't want to self-promote. But I notice you read books about Israel. I wrote a memoir titled "Black & Bulletproof: An African American Warrior in the Israeli Army (New Horizon Press). It talks about my time in the IDF Special Forces. Enjoy.
Thanks Barack. I'll look for it. :)

message 39: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Katzmann (iwritemonsters) | 7 comments Oh, man. I forgot Maus.

Seriously, buy The Complete Maus. It won Art Spiegelman the Pulitzer Prize.

On that note, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is another work of Jewish fiction that won its author, Michael Chabon, a Pulitzer.

I think that makes them the two highest awarded works of modern Jewish fiction, and they both involve the comic book industry. Huh. Well, that was almost entirely a Jewish business anyway . . .

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hi y'all, my name is Rachel, and I live in Dallas, TX. I have always enjoyed reading books with Jewish themes, and characters. Right now, I am reading Everything Is Illuminated.

Any suggestions, you have I will appreciate it. Great to see this group on Goodreads.

Shabbat Shalom!

message 41: by Brina (new)

Brina | 110 comments Hello. My name is Brina. I live in Ohio and am from Chicago. I try to read as many Jewish books as I can but its not always possible, so I was happy to join this group. A book just recommended to me is The Jazz Palace by Mary Morris. I also happened to have read the April selection The Ritual Bath and fell in love with the series. I keep saying it would be fun to invite the Deckers to a Shabbos meal but unfortunately they are fictional characters. I hope to be active in this group.
Good Shabbos everyone!

message 42: by Jack (last edited Jun 08, 2016 03:19PM) (new)

Jack Michonik (jackmichonik) | 1 comments Hello. My name is Jack Michonik and I am a Jewish Spanish author. My historical fiction book, “La Descendencia” was translated and published in English on Amazon Kindle in 2015. "The Heritage" follows the story of two families who landed up in Latin America after they were forced to flee poverty and anti-Semitism in Eastern Europe in 1926. Though not an autobiographical novel, it could be the story of the parents or grandparents of any Jew from Central or South America.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010GJP068

Thank you,
Jack

message 43: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (goodreadscomlynnrobertson) Hi all. My name is Lynn. I live in the Chicago area. I read a variety of books, including a lot of books about the Holocaust, both fiction and non-fiction. I enjoy finding books with Jewish themes and/or Jewish characters. In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume was a nice surprise since its main characters were a Jewish family. A powerful book is The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult which she based on The Sunflower by Simon Wiesenthal. Both will make you examine the limits of forgiveness. Both are absolute recommends. Two other great reads are Mosaic by Diane Armstrong and Triumph of Hope by Ruth Elias. I'll stop now before I make you all crazy. Looking forward to seeing what other books this group is reading.

message 44: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Weinstein (lewweinstein) | 25 comments I hope this is the appropriate place to introduce my just-published novel A FLOOD OF EVIL A Flood of Evil. ...

The major characters are a German Catholic man and a Polish Jewish woman who fall in love just as they are swept into the Nazi world.

THE STORY OPENS WITH BERTHOLD BECKER FACING A DEATH SENTENCE AT THE 1945 NUREMBERG WAR CRIMES TRIAL …

… Berthold Becker showed little emotion as his jailer unlocked his cell and escorted him along the dark corridor lined with soldiers. For several weeks he had sat quietly and watched as the trials of the other high-ranking Nazis had proceeded, and for the past two days he had paid somewhat greater attention as the evidence against him was presented, and what he regarded as a pathetic defense followed. It wasn’t his attorney’s fault. He was guilty. He had done horrible things. He couldn’t change what he had done and now he would pay the price. He expected to be hung.

THE DEFENSE ATTORNEY ASKS IF HE CAN INTRODUCE ANOTHER, NOT PREVIOUSLY SCHEDULE WITNESS ...

... The Chief Justice looked to Prosecutor Weintraub who made no objection, and all eyes turned to the now open door at the back of the courtroom and the woman standing there. Berthold choked back the sounds that began to erupt in his throat but could not stop the tears that flooded from his eyes. The woman entering the courtroom had been his closest friend and lover for fifteen years. She was forever in his thoughts. He had not expected to ever see her again.

ANNA GORSKA TESTIFIES AT BERTHOLD’S TRIAL …

… “Berthold Becker was a member of the Nazi Party, and in that capacity, he participated in the commission of at least some of the crimes he has been charged with by this Tribunal. I am sure he expects to be punished.” She paused. “But for reasons I will explain, he should not be put to death.

… “This defendant is not now and never was an evil man. He was dragged into a maelstrom not of his choosing and from which he was unable to escape. It is easy to say he should have done more to stop the Nazis and in hindsight perhaps he would agree.

… “Berthold Becker had a unique vantage point during the entire Nazi terror. He knows and will tell a truth that others deny.” Looking back to the justices, speaking slowly, she delivered each of her final words as if it were a dagger. “You have the power to allow the terrible story of German evil and guilt to be known. Do not take the life of this defendant. Let Berthold Becker live to tell his story.”

FORTY-FIVE YEARS LATER …

... the daughter of Becker's Nuremberg prosecutor, a professor of Holocaust history at Brandeis University, asks her father to collaborate with her in a book about the characters in his Nuremberg trial. “You read Gorska’s testimony,” he says. “There must be more,” his daughter responds. “A German Catholic Nazi is saved from death by a Polish Jewish woman who had been a prisoner at Auschwitz. There must be more."

... Thus is the story of Berthold and Anna told. Book One covers the years from 1923 to 1933, from Adolf Hitler's Beer Hall Putsch to his appointment as Chancellor.

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 2 comments Hi, I am Melvyn, I love reading books, nice group we have here, thanks for sharing!

Shalom!

message 46: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Babrove | 6 comments Hi. My name is Phyllis Babrove. I'm a semi-retired social worker and have lived in South Florida since 1970. Originally from Wisconsin, my husband and I moved as newlyweds. And yes, I miss the seasons, especially fall and winter.
I have self-published a novel and two novelettes. The recent one ("My Name is Rebecca: A Novelette") is the story of a man and his sons who left Russia and came to the U.S. in the early 1900s to escape pograms. While it is historical fiction, there are some family stories that I heard while growing up. My books are available on Amazon. And my website is: mirikalblog.com

message 47: by Kszr (new)

Kszr | 28 comments Hi. I am KSZR, and I have not written a book. I do, however, run a book group for my temple sisterhood, and I am an avid reader. So excited to find this group, as I am always looking for good titles for my group.

message 48: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1761 comments Mod
Kszr wrote: "Hi. I am KSZR, and I have not written a book. I do, however, run a book group for my temple sisterhood, and I am an avid reader. So excited to find this group, as I am always looking for good title..."

A belated welcome, Kszr! 🙂

message 49: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1761 comments Mod
I'm moving this "Introductions" thread to a more prominent position.

This is a place to introduce yourself, not your work, not your latest literary find. Just yourself!

message 50: by Clifford (new)

Clifford Sobin (cliffsobin) | 2 comments Hi all:

While sitting at a coffee shop today, I discovered this group. I look forward to interacting and learning from all of you. I am a collector of books on Jewish history and frequently when I am in Israel haunt the dusty corridors of used book shops in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. I also dip in and out of Jewish fiction.

Also, I am a writer with a special interest in Israeli history and Jackson Hole Wyoming, and of all things, Workers’ Compensation law due to my prior decades long life as managing partner of a law firm. In addition to hiking, skiing, playing pickle ball (I hate to admit that, but it is fun), and traveling, I have spoken to numerous groups regarding my mother’s Holocaust experience, my books regarding Israel, and workers’ compensation.

Cliff Sobin

« previous 1 3 4