Jewish Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Books/Discussions > Book of the Month Suggestions for 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ✡ Shira (new)

✡ Shira Hoffman (jewishbookclub) | 86 comments Mod
Shalom Everyone!

If you have any Book of the Month suggestions for 2017, please add them in this folder. There are no limits for adding, but I'd suggest adding only those that you enjoyed especially well or that you think others in the group my enjoy.

For those of you who have had difficulty locating our 2016 reads, I'm including them here:

January
The Mathematician's Shiva

February
Hanns and Rudolf: The True Story of the German Jew Who Tracked Down and Caught the Kommandant of Auschwitz

March
The Complete Maus

April
The Ritual Bath

May
John Lennon and the Jews

June
How Sweet It Is!: A Novel

July
The Kill Artist

August
The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue

September
The Yiddish Policemen's Union

October
Washing the Dead

November
The Pinch

December
SafekeepingSafekeeping

I'm looking forward to see your new book suggestions. Enjoy our 2016 reads!

שָׁלוֹם
description

message 2: by Peter (last edited Nov 27, 2015 01:23PM) (new)

Peter | 8 comments I remember with particular fondness "The Complete Maus" -- a totally unique book.

"The Yiddish Policemen's Union" was fun.

"Hanns and Rudolf" sounds intriguing.

In checking today's NY Stock Exchange results, I found an accompanying ad from Amazon.com for two books: "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" with a 40% discount; and "Memories of Evil" by Peter Kubicek.

While you can find my devastating criticism on this site of "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas," when I saw the ad for "Memories of Evil" I almost fell off my chair.

Peter Kubicek
Author of "Memories of Evil"

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (hrhrach) | 8 comments Thank you for the list!! I've only read 2 so I'm excited some I already have on my to read. The January book is awesome bc I read the sample so far and never got to continue yet. Now I'm glad!! Thanks again and I took down the titles!!

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Edidin | 2 comments I loved At The Waters Edge by Sara Gruen
Story was interesting and her writing is wonderful.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachreads925) | 3 comments I really liked the Boston Girl by Anita Diamant. It would be a great selection.

message 6: by Victor (new)

Victor | 2 comments I've only read one of the books on the list and heard of another one. Going through the reviews, I want to applaud our host for compiling the list. There are some very interesting books out there. I'll definitely check it out.

message 7: by Brina (new)

Brina | 82 comments Fiction:
Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman
Jazz Palace by Mary Morris
Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis

Non-fiction:
Hank Greenberg: Hero of Heroes by John Rosengren
The Family by David Laskin
Jew Store by Stella Suberman (not sure if this is fiction or nonfiction)

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1386 comments Mod
The Jew Store: A Family Memoir (ha!) is a family memoir. My brick-and-mortar book club read that, and we got a lot from it. I know this online book club read The Family, but buried under a pile of unread books I fell hopelessly behind. I've had to make do with vicarious satisfaction when I see you all reading these books--several of which I suggested! :(

message 9: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Epstein (lawrencejepstein) | 1 comments My ebook "The Gallery of Missing Husbands" is a mystery novel set on the Lower East Side of New York in 1914. The title refers to a section of the newspaper Jewish Daily Forward. The Gallery consisted of mostly grainy pictures of men who had abandoned their families. The novel opens as the protagonist, Daniel Levin, witnesses the death of the area’s greatest psychic. Asked by the victim’s attractive sister-in-law to investigate, Levin uncovers a web of romantic deceits, blackmail, and murder. His investigation leads him to a midnight break-in at the city morgue at Bellevue Hospital, an anarchist determined to avoid being forced back to Russia, a corrupt police officer filled with hate, and a friendship with a crime reporter. Eventually, Daniel understands the complexity of missing husbands and fragile families.

Beyond solving several murders, Daniel has to deal with a debilitating personal problem. He feels guilty about what he believes was his responsibility for his mother’s suicide.

message 10: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp | 57 comments Brina wrote: "Fiction:
Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman
Jazz Palace by Mary Morris
Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis

Non-fiction:
Hank Greenberg: Hero of Heroes by John Rosengren
The Family ..."

Oh! I enjoyed the Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street and The Jew Store!

message 11: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp | 57 comments Jan wrote: "The Jew Store: A Family Memoir (ha!) is a family memoir. My brick-and-mortar book club read that, and we got a lot from it. I know this online book club read The Family, but buried ..."

The Jew Store was a great book and an inspiration for me. Loved it.

message 12: by Mirta (last edited Jun 29, 2016 02:20PM) (new)

Mirta Trupp | 57 comments Shamelessly suggesting these two:
A coming of age, immigrant memoir-
With Love, The Argentina Family: Memories of Tango and Kugel; Mate with Knishes

An historical fiction/fantasy-
Becoming Malka

There is a Giveaway for Becoming Malka going on as we speak ;-)

message 13: by Jan (new)

I've heard good things about The Book of Esther.

message 14: by Jan (new)

John J. Clayton is an author whose work gradually evolved into Jewish writing, from what I read. I'm curious about him. Has anyone read any of his writing? For example, Mitzvah Man. I seem to remember he focused on the spiritual realm.

message 15: by Victor (new)

Victor | 2 comments I would suggest some mixture of fiction and non-fiction:
The Debt of Tamar by Nicole Dweck
In the Land of Armadillos by Helen Shankman
Single Jewish Male Seeking Soulmate by Letty Cottin Pogrebin
The Girl from Krakow by Alex Rosenberg
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
The Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Hahn Beer
Operation Paperclip by Annie Jacobsen

Happy reading!

message 16: by Jan (new)

What was that novel written a couple of years ago about Jews in South Africa? Had "Lion" in the title, maybe.

message 17: by Stacey B (new)

Stacey B | 830 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "What was that novel written a couple of years ago about Jews in South Africa? Had "Lion" in the title, maybe."

Was it called "The Lion Seeker" ?

message 18: by Jan (new)

Yes! That's it. I suggest it for the list, too. Thanks, Stacey.
Obviously I'm suggesting books I want to read, so if people have read them and disagree that they s/b included, say so!

message 19: by Charles (new)

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) Jan wrote: "John J. Clayton is an author whose work gradually evolved into Jewish writing, from what I read. I'm curious about him. Has anyone read any of his writing? For example, [book:Mitzv..."

Although I haven't read much of John's work, we share the same literary agent and she has been very positive about his talent. I would not hesitate to give him a try.

message 20: by Jan (new)

I recently read this memoir, a voice from the past that has something to say about the present. Very much worth a read! An Orphan in History: Retrieving a Jewish Legacy
My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 21: by Brina (new)

Brina | 82 comments Currently reading Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean by Edward Kritzler- choice for nonfiction
Chicken Dreaming Corn by Roy Hoffman fiction

message 22: by cameron (new)

cameron | 21 comments Have read The Jew Store, excellent but prose is a little
mundane. Mause, both volumes, brilliant genius like nothing you've ever read and there's another of his books which tells the entire story with early drawings of how Mause came to be.
The Jewish Policeman's Union which , after I figured out what the hell was going on, was wonderfully written and so funny.

message 23: by cameron (new)

cameron | 21 comments One of my most favorite books is, The Finkler Question, by Harold Jacobson. It won the British Man Booker prize a few years ago. I identified so much with it and it is hilarious and insightful. A non-Jewish man who wants to be Jewish and live among a raucous, smart, funny Jewish family in London. It's also touching but never sappy and is candid about how much antisemitic feeling still exists in England.

message 24: by Jan (new)

Here's a nonfiction book I recommend: Emancipation: How Liberating Europe's Jews from the Ghetto Led to Revolution and Renaissance. It is definitely an underread book, one I'd like to spread the word on....a very readable history of the emergence of Jews into Western civilization during and after the Enlightenment...their impact on history and history's impact on them.... I'm rereading now and need to update my much-too-brief review. Studying this with a group, and people like it. You can find this book for a bargain on Amazon; it's even in my public library.

message 25: by Jan (new)

cameron wrote: "One of my most favorite books is, The Finkler Question, by Harold Jacobson. It won the British Man Booker prize a few years ago. I identified so much with it and it is hilarious and insightful. A n..."

I want to read his book on Shylock, but don't see myself getting to it very soon.

message 26: by David (new)

David Hammerstein | 1 comments Jan wrote: "Here's a nonfiction book I recommend: Emancipation: How Liberating Europe's Jews from the Ghetto Led to Revolution and Renaissance. It is definitely an underread book, one I'd like t..."

Jan wrote: "Here's a nonfiction book I recommend: Emancipation: How Liberating Europe's Jews from the Ghetto Led to Revolution and Renaissance. It is definitely an underread book, one I'd like t..."

cameron wrote: "One of my most favorite books is, The Finkler Question, by Harold Jacobson. It won the British Man Booker prize a few years ago. I identified so much with it and it is hilarious and insightful. A n..."

message 27: by Stacey B (new)

cameron wrote: "Have read The Jew Store, excellent but prose is a little
mundane. Mause, both volumes, brilliant genius like nothing you've ever read and there's another of his books which tells the entire story w..."

I just had to respond to your comment re "Jewish Policeman's Union". So funny- I felt the same way. I loved the "Jew Store", liked "Songs for the Butchers Daughter", and have added "Chattanooga" to my list. Though the ratings were not as high, my choices are not based on other opinions.

message 28: by Brina (new)

Brina | 82 comments Jewish Stars by Abigail Pogebrin

Out of the Depths by Israel Meir Lau

Last Night at Ballyhoo by Alfred Uhry (a play)

Ladies Auxiliary- Tova Mirvis

message 29: by Jan (new)

Brina wrote: "...Last Night at Ballyhoo by Alfred Uhry (a play)...."

I've seen that one! And although I believe it's set in 1939, there are connections to the 1950s and early '60s that hit home with me.

message 30: by Denise (new)

Denise Gelberg | 19 comments I'm new to the Jewish book club, so I don't know if this has already been recommended: David Laskin's The Family. It demonstrates how PLACE can determine whether a person will live and prosper or suffer persecution, their innate talents and hard work notwithstanding. Not always an easy read, but certainly a good one.

message 31: by Brina (new)

Brina | 82 comments Denise that was a great book. It is a relatively easy read.

message 32: by Jan (new)

This book, which was the January 2016 read, is for sale on Amazon for Kindle for $1.99. The Mathematician's Shiva: A Novel. Saw it posted elsewhere and not sure how long or if for just one day. I'm reading it now.

message 33: by cameron (new)

cameron | 21 comments Let us know.

message 34: by cameron (new)

cameron | 21 comments Oh Yes I forgot about the Zookeeper's wife. I couldn't believe it was a true story. Wonderful prose and a heroic story. Loved it. We could all take meaning from this book today, the day after Election Day. Be strong. Have courage.

message 35: by Denise (new)

Denise Gelberg | 19 comments My mother always said, "Shy gets you nowhere." So, particularly today, I'm putting modesty aside. For the 2017 list of recommended books, I recommend my new book, ENGAGEMENT: A Novel. It tells the story of a Jewish girl and a Lutheran boy who fall in love as teenagers and decide to marry the week after they graduate from Vassar and West Point, respectively. West Point's Jewish chaplain, Major Arnold Weinstein, becomes their confidante and spiritual advisor. After they marry at the Academy's magnificent Jewish Chapel, they set off for Fort Drum to begin their married life. And then the war in Iraq upends their dreams....
This moving story of shattered illusions, courage and love will resonate with readers from all points on the political spectrum, from those who opposed the war in Iraq, to the men and women who volunteered to serve.

message 36: by Debra (new)

Debra Zaslow (dvorat) | 10 comments I recommend "Bringing Bubbe Home, A Memoir of Letting Go Through Love and Death." (White cloud Press, 2014) Rabbi Pamela Gottfried, of Rabbi's without Borders, wrote, "If you read only one book for Jewish Book Month, let it be this one." Here's the review:
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/rabbi...
This is a poignant, humorous and deeply honest account of bringing a 103 year- old grandma into the home of a rabbi's family. Yes, I wrote it, but Jewish book groups all over the country are loving it. Here's another review from Velveteen Rabbi blogger Rachel Barenblat which includes the book trailer. http://velveteenrabbi.blogs.com/blog/...

message 37: by Charles (new)

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) Denise wrote: "My mother always said, "Shy gets you nowhere." So, particularly today, I'm putting modesty aside. For the 2017 list of recommended books, I recommend my new book, ENGAGEMENT: A Novel. It tells the ..."

Your book sounds terrific. Best of luck with it.

P.S. Your mom was right!

message 38: by Denise (new)

Denise Gelberg | 19 comments Thanks, Charles. I hope this book finds a wide audience. In terms of my mother, the older I get, the more I learn from her. Apparently, a good parent can teach even from beyond the grave!

message 39: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (kristismo-drrhonda) | 27 comments People I am loving some of your suggestions but some were already part of the 2016 readings. Just letting you know.

message 40: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (kristismo-drrhonda) | 27 comments Shira. THANK YOU for all that you do. You really have choose some fabulous books. Some I had read before and some were new to me. To another great year

message 41: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 11 comments Just received a notice reminding me that Safekeeping is up next. Didn't see a discrete thread yet dedicated to it, so thought that I'd chime in here to say how happy I am to see it in the spotlight. I work for the company that published it, so I can also suggest some kick-off discussion questions that we've prepared for groups: https://figtreebooks.net/books/safeke....

Also, I noticed in this thread a reference to Abigail Pogrebin's STARS OF DAVID. Please note that Abby has a new book coming in March 2017 (and there's a Goodreads giveaway for it happening now). See the My Jewish Year: 18 Holidays, One Wondering Jew page for info.

Happy Thanksgiving!

message 42: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 11 comments Jan wrote: "This book, which was the January 2016 read, is for sale on Amazon for Kindle for $1.99. The Mathematician's Shiva: A Novel. Saw it posted elsewhere and not sure how long or if for just one day. I'm..."

Fabulous book. Happened to recommend it to another group just yesterday.

message 43: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 11 comments Jan wrote: "John J. Clayton is an author whose work gradually evolved into Jewish writing, from what I read. I'm curious about him. Has anyone read any of his writing? For example, [book:Mitzv..."

His short stories seem to be featured frequently in COMMENTARY magazine.

message 44: by Brina (new)

Brina | 82 comments I nominate My Jewish Year. I was the one who mentioned Abigail's other books and thought they were informative.

message 45: by Jan (new)

cameron wrote: "Let us know."

Five stars for The Mathematician's Shiva.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 11 comments Jan wrote: "cameron wrote: "Let us know."

Five stars for The Mathematician's Shiva.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I gave it 5 stars, too. Loved it.

message 47: by Jan (new)

I guess we should be over in the discussion created for this book, But we got started talking about it here. :)

We can see all of each others' reviews by going to the book club "book shelf," then clicking on the book in question.

message 48: by Jan (new)

Well, not on the book, but on the book's "activity."

message 49: by Stacey B (new)

I read "Raquel". What a passion and gift Ruth had. Imagine, if more people could act, or even think, in the way she did, we would be so much ahead of the game. I had the honor of meeting her many many years ago before she passed away. She had given us autographed copies of her books. What a life!!!

message 50: by cameron (new)

cameron | 21 comments Where is the 2017 list of books to read?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.