♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Group Reads > All the Bright Places

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die.

Soon to be a major motion picture starring Elle Fanning!

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven.

message 2: by Kasarah (new)

Kasarah I just finished reading this book. I should have known there wasn't going to be a happy ending, but Finch was very cool and such a wonderful boyfriend to Violet. Lovely story.

ricah (andthebooks) (andthebooks) | 2 comments I haven't read this one.

message 4: by Cherry (new)

Cherry (lantsovemerald) I'm excited to read this book :)

message 5: by J (new)

J I listened to the audiobook of this. I couldn't relate to the main characters at all, so it wasn't my cup of tea. The only character I could relate to was Amanda Monk, interestingly enough. I was literally saying "Yes" out loud to some of her responses when Violet asked her a certain question toward the end of the book. She and I secretly share a lot of the same thoughts.

I actually enjoyed Jennifer Niven's author's note at the end more than the actual book.

message 6: by Lennie (new)

Lennie Daluz (lenniedaluz) | 29 comments I read this. Although I didn't love it, I'm willing to discuss.

message 7: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Dec 01, 2015 09:34PM) (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
I was kind of interested in this one then I heard it compared to The Fault In Our Stars. And as someone mentioned above I also heard it doesn't have a happy ending and I'm not a fan of sad endings. (view spoiler)

message 8: by B (new)

B (bmm244) | 7 comments I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it. I ugly cried, I laughed and I couldn't put it down.

message 9: by Dorra (new)

Dorra I looooved this book! I mean I sobbed like a child... Amazing to know how much a genuine smile can do:-)

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickimarie2002) | 1 comments I absolutely loved this book! I tried not to think about the fact that it was compared to The Fault in Our Stars so I was a little surprised at the sad ending but it was so great anyways. It's so incredibly sad how people can be suffering so much and either not get help for themselves or no one around them can seem to see it and try to help them.

message 11: by ♕ Bookrose (new)

♕ Bookrose (bookrose2001) | 6 comments That book changed me! I really thought that there was going to be a happy ending so I cried a lot. I was so crushed!! It is the kind of book that make you explode with feelings and it is a must-read for those who haven't read it yet.