Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Progress Posts 2016 > 35: An award winning book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Jan 06, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Everyone loves awards!

Suggestions:
GoodReads Book Awards

For those of you reading in order, this is week: August 26-September 1. Don't forget to post in the A-Z title folders!

1: What are you reading this week?
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store?
3: What award did this book win?
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)?
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why.

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy  (kittybimble) 1. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
2. I actually have wanted to read this for ages, I already owned it.
3. A bunch of awards in the U.S. such as the American Library Association Teens Top Ten Award and the Georgia Peach Book Awards for Teen Readers.
4. 2007-2010.
5. I think it did deserve the awards that it won. I found it entertaining enough and I enjoyed the world and the characters.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Stabenow | 8 comments 1: What are you reading this week?Salvage the Bones
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? Pretty sure I got this last year, and while searching for books to match the challenge, slotted this one in for week 35, and then proceeded to read it out of order.
3: What award did this book win? National Book Award
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)?2011
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why. I think this is difficult to answer. I'd almost feel like I'd have to have read the other books up for nomination.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 1779 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Heat and Dust by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? I don't remember how I came to choose this one.
3: What award did this book win? Man Booker Prize
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)? 1975
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why. Yes.... enjoyed it very much.

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Jan 16, 2016 12:57AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments 1. What are you reading this week? Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

2 Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? It was already on my to-read shelf and I went through the list extensively before the start of the year fishing out different books for different categories. This one fit!

3. What award did this book win? Stonewall Book Award for Children’s and Young Adult Literature (2013), Lambda Literary Award for LGBT Children's/Young Adult (2013), and Pura Belpré Award for Narrative (2013). It was also a Michael L. Printz Award Nominee (2013).

4. When was the award given to the book (if you know)? They were pretty much all awarded in 2013.

5. Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why? Meh, I don't like to make those kinds of assessments without reading the book (especially on reviews - they're so varied). If I was purely judging a book by it's cover though, this one's got a really beautiful cover. ;)

message 6: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 473 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt

2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store?
Well, I came upon book 2 in a bookstore and didn't know it. I liked it so when I knew it was book 2, I looked for book 1, which was this.

A lot:
Vermont's Picture Book Awards: Red Clover (2015)
Zilveren Griffel (2015)
Monarch Award: Illinois’ K-3 Readers’ Choice Award (2015)
Wanda Gág Read Aloud Book Award (2014)
Monarch Award Nominee (2015)
CBI Book of the Year (Bisto) Award for Children's Choice (2014)
The Magnolia Award for K-2 (2015)
Goodreads Choice Awards Winner for Picture Book (2013)

The years are there. :)

5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why.
Yeah, I think so. There are a few who say no since it's not that big a deal, but I like it as a picture book. I gave it 3 stars, but that's mostly because I read book 2 before this.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments 1: What are you reading this week?

I read Personal History for this prompt.

I heard about this book awhile ago, and picked it up from McKay Used Books in Nashville when I saw it there. I had it before I joined this group.

The Pulitzer Prize for Biography.

1998, after the book's 1997 publication.

I didn't read any reviews on this book--I just read it because at one point in my life I wanted to be a newspaper reporter and Katharine Graham was the first female publisher of the Washington Post.

I thought it was well-written enough to win an award, though it did get repetitive at times. I haven't read enough Pulitzer Prize-winning biographies to make an accurate judgement on the fairness of its win.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria (molokovell0cet) | 13 comments (Read Out Of Order)

I read Charm & Strange by Stephanie Kuehn

I came across it while browsing through the Book Outlet Store in St. Catharine's, Ontario!

The William C. Morris Debut Award

I'm not entirely sure.

Definitely. I have already finished reading it and it was so well written and dealt with subject matter that we don't typically see in novels.

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia (_mj_howard) Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Winning the Pulitzer Prize in 2003 this book is on a couple of my lists.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (winterscomin) | 41 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Coraline - Neil Gaiman
(technically i think it was the book version that one awards but I read the graphic novel version)
I think it was on one of the lists?
According to wikipedia:
"It was awarded the 2003 Hugo Award for Best Novella, the 2003 Nebula Award for Best Novella, and the 2002 Bram Stoker Award for Best Work for Young Readers."
See above
Yes the story was pretty great. A nice imaginative creepy children's story.

message 11: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (katejohnsson) | 56 comments 1: What are you reading this week? The Light Between Oceans
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? I came across it here on Goodreads
3: What award did this book win? Goodreads Choice Award 2012
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)? 2012
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why. Definitely.

message 12: by Brandy (last edited Mar 05, 2016 11:15PM) (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 93 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures Flora and Ulysses The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo by Kate DiCamillo
I looked at a list of Newbery Winners.
Newbery Medal 2014
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award?
I don't know what all was given the honor that year so it is hard to say. But I really like the graphic component, the vocabulary. I can't say I object to this book winning. I picked it because I had read a lot of heavy books in a row (suicide, main character death, main character depression, minor character death in the most painfully real way possible) and I really, really, really needed something lighter. This fit the bill. Was it the best book of 2013-14 for young readers? Who knows. it is very good.

message 13: by Bec (new)

Bec | 765 comments Ana A wrote: "1: What are you reading this week?

..."

My 7 year old daughter loves this book! She has read it over and over!

message 14: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 473 comments Bec wrote: "Ana A wrote: "1: What are you reading this week?

2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in ..."

It's pretty cute from a child's perspective. I liked the 2nd book much better, though. For the 2nd one, I think even adults can appreciate.

message 15: by June (new)

June Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

This is one of the science fiction classics I found in my library. it is also on many lists as the book to read. It won the Nebula award in 1967.
This resonated with me, in terms of how we define intelligence and how we treat those who have low IQ. I definitely agree that it deserved an award. We are still struggling today to fully grasp how to treat people as equals. So it remains a timely book, even 40+ years later.

message 16: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments I'll be reading The Orphan Master's Son. I picked for another challenge and found out it had won the Pulitzer Prize in 2013.

message 17: by Alexis (last edited Nov 30, 2016 01:12AM) (new)

Alexis  (TheSlothReader) This week I read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, inspired by an idea from Siobhan Dowd, and illustrated by Jim Kay. I had been wanting to read this book for some time so it was perfect for this challenge. It was the first book to win both the Carnegie Medal for literature and the Kate Greenway Medal for illustration. It was a truly beautiful book.

message 18: by Jean (last edited May 30, 2016 02:24PM) (new)

Jean Cole (joc724) | 328 comments 1: What are you reading this week? The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? I added it to my TBR list in Feb of 2015. I was probably searching Pulitzer Prize winners because that's a sort of long-term challenge of mine -- read all the Pulitzer winners for fiction.
3: What award did this book win? Pulitzer Prize for Fiction
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)? 1995
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why. Lots of 4 and 5 stars in the GR reviews and as usual, a sprinkling of 1s and 2s. Finished it recently. Kind of disappointed.

message 19: by bookwormsewist (new)

bookwormsewist (btstars) | 19 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
"The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern

I have been wanting to read this book for awhile and I found it at my library. It wasn't until almost halfway into the book that I realized that it was an award winner and would count for this category.

School Library Journal Adult Books for Young Adults (2011)
ALA Alex Award winner (2012)
YALSA Alex Award winner (2012)
YALSA Best Book for Young Adults (2014)

(see above :P)

The average Goodreads rating is 4.02 (as of right now) and I rated it 4 stars. I enjoyed the book and I feel like this is a book that could benefit from rereads. It's good, not my favorite, but I did love the descriptions.

message 20: by J (last edited Apr 15, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

J Austill | 674 comments 1: What are you reading this week?

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

This has been on my TBR list for a long time. It is one of a rather short list of books that I have not yet read for the NPR Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy list (2011). I decided to make it part of this year's plan after one of my Goodreads friends pointed out that Simmons was the only author, amongst his favorites, that I had not read. And since we had so many favorites in common, it seemed likely that I would enjoy it.

Then it was just a matter of finding a topic to file it under.

The Hugo and Locus awards for best novel in its year.

1990, or when I was 9.

They're mostly positive. The few poor reviews site one or more of three issues:

a.) it's a Scifi novel (no issue here)
b.) it doesn't explain well what is going on (no issue here)
c.) cliff hanger ending (this is the biggest complaint in the reviews)

The last can't really be a complaint for me considering that it is the first book in a 4 book (and three short story) series which is complete.

I read lots of series, lots of Scifi, and consider it a big plus that the/an ending exists. A complete series will be a welcome relief.

message 21: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1158 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Reading Ringworld.

I came across it in a bookstore awhile ago and picked it up mainly because it was part of a scifi classics rerelease series along with Tau Zero, which I loved, as well as several other notable titles.

This book won a bunch of scifi awards such as the Hugo Award, Nebula Award, Locus Award, and so on.

Back in the 70s.

I've heard good things about this series and from what I've seen so far it's really good. Deserving of its awards.

message 22: by Aine (new)

Aine | 173 comments What are you reading this week?
The Mathematician's Shiva by Stuart Rojstaczer

Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store?
I found it on Goodreads...

What award did this book win?
When was the award given to the book (if you know)?

National Jewish Book Award for Outstanding Debut Fiction (2014), Friends of American Writers Literature Award (2014), American Library Association Sophie Brody Medal Finalist (2015), Wisconsin Library Association Outstanding Achievement Award (2015), Harold U. Ribalow Prize Finalist for Jewish Literature (2015)

Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why.
I really enjoyed this book. Charming and poignant, it packed the occasional surprise punch...

message 23: by Molly (new)

Molly (bookshelfmystic) | 26 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

I came across it in a bookstore, then bought it on Audible. :)

Among others, the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

I can see why it did. It was certainly unique, passionate, and had a great narrative voice. I liked it well enough, but I didn't love it - but I am not the Pulitzer committee.

message 24: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1099 comments What are you reading this week?
All the Pretty Horses
All the Pretty Horses (The Border Trilogy, #1) by Cormac McCarthy

Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store?
I came across it randomly when looking for a different topic.

National Book Award for Fiction
National Book Critics Circle Award

1992, for both awards

Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why.
I think so. The reviews seem to be pretty positive. McCarthy is an excellent author, and they ended up making a movie out of it, so sure. I guess, based off not reading it, I'll say it did.

message 25: by Aline (new)

Aline (thousanduniverses) | 201 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

It got my attention because it was all over booktube and I only heard amazing reviews.

-Stonewall Book Award
-Pura Belpre Award
-Lambda Literary Awards
-Michael I. Printz Award for Excellence Young Adult Literature

I don't know.

Yes, since I've only heard amazing things about it.

message 26: by Therese (last edited May 17, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Therese  I read The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.

I read it for a science fiction/fantasy book club I participate in.

It won the Locus Award in 2015 for best fantasy novel. It was also nominated for a Nebula and a Hugo award.

I don't believe this novel should be classified as a fantasy, so I don't believe it should have been award a fantasy award. Based on the professional reviews, I see why it won the Locus. The main character came off a s a rather remarkable being despite him not doing much of anything.

message 27: by Libscigrl (new)

Libscigrl (animlgrl) | 39 comments For this week I read The Blind Assassin byMargaret Atwood.

I already owned this book and love Atwood so I picked it for this week.

The Booker Prize in 2000 and the Hammett Prize in 2001.

Anything Atwood writes deserves an award!!!

message 28: by Francesca (new)

Francesca (eufrosine85) | 69 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
As God Commands by Niccolò Ammaniti

I had this book on my library for a long time =)

Thi books won the STREGA award in 2008 (STREGA is one of the most important littarary award in Italy)

in 2008

5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award?
I do not know the other books that could win the award that year but I think this is a very good one and definetevely it deserves

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Completely forgot to post here when I started the book.

I chose All the Light We Cannot See

A little of both, I think. I vaguely remember seeing it in a bookstore, and I thought it seemed kind of interesting but I wasn't too motivated to try it. Then it started showing up on multiple recommendations lists, and after hearing so much about it, I finally decided to give it a chance.

Quite a few, including Pulitzer Prize for Fiction (2015), Audie Award for Fiction (2015), ALA Alex Award (2015), Andrew Carnegie Medal for Fiction (2015), and GoodReads Choice Award for Historical Fiction (2014).

Already mentioned above.

This book has an average of 4.31 on GoodReads, based on 337,101 ratings. I haven't read very many reviews, but this book showed up on a ton of recommendation lists and was mentioned all over BookTube. Based on what I've read so far, it is definitely deserving of its awards.

message 30: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Fahrenheit 451

I already had it on my to-read list and have wanted to read it for a long time!

It has won 4 awards. The Hugo Award for Best Novel (1954), Prometheus Hall of Fame Award (1984), Geffen Award for Best Translated SF Book (2002), and the California Book Award Silver Medal for Fiction (1953). (Yes, I copied and pasted this from the Goodreads page)

I included the dates of the awards in my answer to the question above.

So far, I'm loving it and would say yes it deserved the award but I'm only halfway through so far so I'll have to wait and see how I feel at the end!

message 31: by Andrea (last edited Jun 10, 2016 08:58AM) (new)

Andrea | 368 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Sympathizer

2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended,
or did you come across it in a book store?

I came across this novel when searching through past Book of
the Month Club offerings. It was reasonably priced and
highly praised.

2016 Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction
2016 Winner of the Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction
2016 Winner of the Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the
   Mystery Writers of America
2015 Winner of the Center for Fiction's First Novel Prize
2015 Winner of the Asian/Pacific American Literature Award
2016 Gold Medal in First Fiction (published in 2015) California Book Award

See answers to Question 3.

If it is the combination of intrigue, history, and artistry that
everyone claims, then it is probably deserving. I have just
started to read it.

message 32: by Gail (last edited May 30, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Gail (abbygg) | 321 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Round House by Louise Erdrich
Actually yes to both. I purchased the book first and then later found it on a list for this challenge.
National Book Award for Fiction (2012), ALA Alex Award (2013), Indies Choice Book Award for Adult Fiction (2013), Dayton Literary Peace Prize Nominee for Fiction (2013), Andrew Carnegie Medal Nominee for Fiction (2013), Minnesota Book Award for Novel & Short Story (2013)
see above
Absolutely. I had never read this author before, and felt the prose in this book was stunning. Not a pleasant topic, but handled with the right mix of compassion, data, and revenge.

message 33: by Lyndi (last edited Jun 03, 2016 05:44PM) (new)

Lyndi (mibookobsession) 1: What are you reading this week? The Giver
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? It was on a lot of my challenge lists and I've never read it. So I borrowed it from the library.
3: What award did this book win? Literary AwardsNewbery Medal (1994), Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Nominee for Children's Literature (1994), School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, Golden Duck Award for Hal Clement Award for Young Adult (1994), Booklist Editors' Choice (1994)
Garden State Book Award for Teen Fiction Grades 6-8 (1996), Rebecca Caudill Young Reader's Book Award (1996), Buckeye Children's Book Award for Grade 6-8 (1997), Grand Canyon Reader Award for Teen Book (1995), Golden Sower Award for Young Adult (1995), Pacific Northwest Library Association Young Reader's Choice Award for Senior (1996), Boston Globe-Horn Book Award (1994), New Mexico Land of Enchantment Award (1997), Wyoming Soaring Eagle Nominee (1996), Regina Medal (1994), William Allen White Award (1996), Wyoming Indian Paintbrush Nominee (1996), NSK Neustadt Prize for Children's Literature Nominee (2013), Oklahoma Sequoyah Award for YA (1996)
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)? See above
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why. I thought it was really good. The part with Jonas' father and the twin may be a bit graphic for younger readers though

message 34: by Angela (last edited Jun 13, 2016 02:51AM) (new)

Angela | 402 comments 1: What are you reading this week? I'm reading A God in Ruins, by Kate Atkinson, for this week's challenge.
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? I read the spectacular Life after Life, and this novel focuses on another character from that novel. I came across it in a bookstore.
3: What award did this book win? It won the 2015 Costa Novel Award.
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)? 2015
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why. I think Kate Atkinson is a brilliant author, so yes.

message 35: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
What are you reading this week?
Duma Key by Stephen King

I knew that I wanted a horror book and the Bram Stoker is a pretty big award for the genre. So I looked at past winners. I'm doing a side challenge to (slowly) read all of King's works so it made sense.

Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel

The reviews are fairly mixed but it has a number of 5-star reviews, like any book by Stephen King really. I'm halfway through and I can see why it won an award.

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 911 comments What are you reading this week?
Inferno by Dan Brown

I have read the author's other books and found this was awarded a Goodreads Choice Award
Goodreads Choice Award 2013
The reviews I have read here do not seem to think it is worth many 5-star ratings, so I am surprised it won the award. I think it is a case of either you like Dan Brown or you don't. Certainly a lot of people have written books in his style

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 546 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I read Never Let Me Go

I didn't have this anywhere on my list until the June book of the Month. When I saw that it had won an award I found a week that it fit in.

It won the ALA Alex Award
It was short listed for a few other awards:
2005 Booker Prize
2006 Arthur C. Clarke Award
2005 National Book Critics Circle Award

It won in 2006

From what I can tell you either love this book and gave it 4 stars or you hated it and gave it 1 star. But there does seem to be more 4 star reviews than 1 so I would say that yes it did deserve the award.

message 38: by Samantha (last edited Jun 22, 2016 06:39PM) (new)

Samantha | 902 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Little Pretty Things
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? I noticed that if a book won or was nominated for an award it was listed at the top of the goodreads page so I looked on my to read list and found that this book has won an award.
3: What award did this book win? Mary Higgins Clark Award
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)? 2016
I didn't read any reviews but the description sounds like it fits the requirements of the award so based on that yes I think it deserved to win.

message 39: by Valerie (last edited Jun 26, 2016 03:49PM) (new)

Valerie | 351 comments 1: What are you reading this week? The Egypt Game

2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? Whoa, I must have found it on a list, as I have not been in a bookstore looking for books for a long time. I like reading children's literature and that is probably why I chose it from a list.

3: What award did this book win? The Newberry Honor Award for 1968

4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)? 1968

5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why. Yes, from what I have read of the reviews, I think that it did, and probably still does.

message 40: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2485 comments I read Flowers for Algernon, which won the 1966 Nebula Award for Best Novel. I chose this book to read before I realized it was an award winner. The book was fantastic and absolutely deserved an award!

message 41: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments 1: What are you reading this week?

I actually finished The Blind Assassin this morning.

I wanted to fit this book somewhere and it turns out it won awards.

3: What award did this book win? 4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)?

Man Booker Prize (2000), International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award Nominee (2002), Orange Prize Nominee for Fiction Shortlist (2001), Hammett Prize (2000), Puddly Award for New Novel (2001)

I can see why people would give it an award but I didn't love is enough to do it myself ;)

message 42: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) What did you read?
The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge

I was reading it for another book group.

Hugo Award
http://www.thehugoawards.org/

Definitely.

message 43: by Jasmine (last edited Jul 05, 2016 10:39AM) (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 152 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
Not sure if this was included in one of the lists recommended, but I keep a lists of book awards on my own because I am nerdy like that... :)
Newbery Honor
It seems to be a childhood favorite for many people, so I am guessing so? Although it will be interesting to see how dated it is...

message 44: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Jasmine, wonderful choice! I don't find it dated at all (I just re-read it with my spider this year) - it's truly timeless. And absolutely beautiful.

message 45: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) 1: What are you reading this week?
Song of the Swallows
I picked this book for another book club as a children's book about animals that was more than 40 years old.
The Caldecott Medal.
In 1950
Yes I think it deserved to win. It is a sweet gentle book with beautiful illustrations that children will like. It tells a story of faith, love and preparedness.

message 46: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1306 comments What are you reading this week?

March

I have read Geraldine Brooks before and really enjoyed her works. I usually avoid award winning books since I find that they tend to be over rated.

It won a Pulitzer

I found the book to be okay. The reviews on goodreads have it listed at a 3.7 which I think is low for a prize winning book.

message 47: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 10, 2016 06:35PM) (new)

Elizabeth sorry once again for the late update , just found my notes
1: What are you reading this week? Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1) by Stephen King Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King 1/13/16
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? store but I actually checked to see if it was award winning book)
3: What award did this book win?2015 Edger Award -Best Novel
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)?2015
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why : yes , because its one of those books that just pulls you in and won't let go.

message 48: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Last Policeman (The Last Policeman, #1) by Ben H. Winters
The Last Policeman

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure, where I found out it had won an award.

It won the Edgar Award for mystery in Best Paperback Original category.

Having read it, yes. It began as a fairly typical crime novel, but the backdrop of an impending meteor strike changed the tone of the book entirely. It explored the emotions and motivations of the characters facing pre-apocalyptic conditions and the consequences of knowing the end is coming. It had a very fresh feel to it in today's post-apocalyptic dystopia heavy meta.

message 49: by Tina (new)

Tina | 122 comments 1: What are you reading this week? The Giver
2: Did you pick this book from one of the lists recommended, or did you come across it in a book store? The book is super popular, more than 1 mio readers!
3: What award did this book win? Look message 33.
4: When was the award given to the book (if you know)? Look message 33.
5: Based on the reviews, do you think the book deserved to win an award? If not, why. I'm not familiar with other nominees, but I think this book deserves awards.

message 50: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Elizabeth -- I agree! I'm halfway through and it's incredible!

Peter -- I read that a while back and loved it!

« previous 1