Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Progress Posts 2016 > 33: The 16th book on your TBR

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Jan 06, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) This week you didn't have a choice of what to read, let's find out how that made you feel.

For those of you reading in order, this is week: August 12-August 18. Don't forget to post in the A-Z title folders!

1: What are you reading this week?
2: Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you?
3: Is this book a stand alone book, or in the middle of a series?
4: How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"?
5: Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?!

message 2: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1158 comments I will be reading Time Travelers Never Die.

I'm pretty happy with this one.

Stand alone. Thank God.

I think I added it to the shelf a few years ago and haven't looked back since.

I have a mess of book shelves to choose from. Finding the sixteenth book was harder then it should have been. Which TBR to choose from? The ones I haven't bought yet or the ones scattered between two different countries? Decisions decisions.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth For this topic I'm planning to pick up The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Was you happy with the choice or did you hate that it was already picked for you: Me I happy it was picked out for me because otherwise it would have stayed on my TBR shelf for a long while.

Is this a stand alone or a middle of a series: Its actually book 2 in the Maze Runner series.

How many times do you think you've looked at this book on you list and said maybe later? Its been on my TBR since 2011 so quick alot of times.

Ok tell the truth was this actually #16 on your list or did you change the number: I actually have actually have quite the TBR books shelves listed here so I went with my paper and hardback books TBR shelf and number 16 was this one.

message 4: by Elise (new)

Elise (theblackhorizon) I'm reading Sleepless Nights by Elizabeth Hardwick.

I've been meaning to get around to this one for a few years now, so I'm pleased to have landed on it because I've heard good things.

It was #16 on my list of books by female authors that I want to read soon, sorted alphabetically. I'm trying to clear as many from my high-priority list as possible with these challenges.

message 5: by Julia (new)

message 6: by Cris (new)

Cris (cris_lectora) 1: What are you reading this week?
White Oleander

2: Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you?
I was very happy. This has been in my TBR for so long. It's one of the favourite books of a couple of friends, so it comes highly recommended, and it seems like the kind of story I would enjoy.

Stand alone.

4: How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"?
Too many too count. It was actually in my last year's weekly challenge, but never got around to start it.

5: Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?!
It was #16 :)

message 7: by Ana A (last edited Mar 02, 2016 02:32PM) (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 476 comments 1: The Complete Fairy Tales by Oscar Wilde ★★★★☆

2: I was really happy with this choice. I love Oscar Wilde.

3: Luckily, it's a standalone.

4: I think I might have looked at it once or twice. Sixteen isn't really a number that I see right away. It's usually the first or the last that I look at more. So I guess I'm pretty happy that I was forced to pick something in the middle.

5: It's really the 16th when I was making my list. :)

message 8: by Helin (new)

Helin Puksand | 43 comments 1: I read Tuletunnistaja by Lars Kepler
2: I was really happy with this choice. This book was very exciting.
3: This book is in the middle of the detective Joona Linna series.
4: This book has been standing on my bookshelf for several years and my daughter suggested to read it, but I reached to reading it just now.
5: I had only 8 books in my list and then I added more books and this book was 16th. :)

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina | 122 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Hallowe'en Party

2: Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you? Happy, I will finally read it!

3: Is this book a stand alone book, or in the middle of a series? Middle of a series (Poirot), but it's not necessary to read in order.

4: How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"? Many, many times!

5: Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?! It was really 16th.

message 10: by Pauline (new)

Pauline C | 71 comments 1. This week I'm reading The State We're In
2. Yes I'm happy with it.
3. Stand alone
4. I've been meaning to read it for a while but always got distracted by other titles.
5. It was no. 16 at the beginning of the year, after I'd had a bit of a clear out.

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2526 comments 1: I am reading The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare by G.K. Chesterton.
2: Yes, I am happy with the choice since it is completely different than any of the books I have been reading lately.
3: It is a stand-alone novel.
4: I have often looked at the title wondering how it got on my list! I think it was nominated for a Classics group read. I keep getting distracted by newer books so I'm glad to finally read it.
4: It really was #16 (out of over 600) but I deleted a few books before it to make it 16!

message 12: by Jean (new)

Jean Cole (joc724) | 328 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen
2: Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you? Well I could hardly hate it since it was on my TBR!
This is the first of what might be a kind of silly murder mystery series, but I'm an addict so what can I do?
4: How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"? Never. Figured I'd get to it when the time was right.
5: Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!? It actually was #16 when I made my list. What it might be now, or when I reach this one for the challenge -- who knows?

message 13: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 46 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Parenting Without Power Struggles: Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids While Staying Cool, Calm and Connected

I was happy with hit, mostly, as it's been on my list for quite some time.

Stand alone

At least 5. It takes me a bit longer to get motivated on the non-fiction books.

It was truly #16. I ended up listening to the audiobook because I couldn't easily get my hands on a copy here.

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 97 comments I am reading The Murder House by James Patterson & David Ellis. I am happy that it was #16 TBR , I thought it was fun to scroll down to see what I would be reading.

message 15: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 90 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Kingdom of the Strong

It's a book I've been putting off so good to get it read.

This was number 4 in a series.

Yes a few times. This has been on my TBR since July 2015.

This was #16 on my "must read this year."

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2201 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way through Great Books

I'm glad it was this book. If I hadn't been in the mood for it, I wouldn't have liked it.

Stand alone.

A few times.

It was after I cleaned up my TBR!

message 17: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Library of Souls

I was happy with it. I would have used this book somewhere else in the challenge if it hadn't fallen into this category already.

It's the final book in a series.

It was one I had to pick up at the library and it only recently became available there, so not many times. Mostly it was just waiting for my turn in line and WISHING it were time to read it.

As I was going down through my tbr list, I deleted a few books that I no longer wished to read or that shouldn't have been on the list in the first place. This book fell on #16 after I made those adjustments.

message 18: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments What are you reading this week?
I am reading two books this week. Twisted Tales for Twisted Minds and Whatever Happened To Baby Jane

Twisted Tales for Twisted Minds by Alisha Adkins What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell

Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you?
I loved this idea! I loved the randomness of it. It made selection super easy.

Is this book a stand alone book, or in the middle of a series?
They are both stand alones.

How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"?
Probably a handful of times for both books.

Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?!
They were both actually book 16. When I first put my list together, Twisted Tales was in the 16 spot. When I was finalizing my list and after clearing up some of my TBR shelf, my 16 had shifted, putting Baby Jane in the spot. I liked the idea of both books, so I decided I would read both of them,

message 19: by Bec (new)

Bec | 769 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Unforgiven

2: Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you? I'm very happy with this choice. I love Lauren Kate and didn't realise this book was out until recently.

3: Is this book a stand alone book, or in the middle of a series? It's the 5th book in the Fallen Series. The other 4 focus on Luce and Daniel. This one is Cam's story so it will be interesting with the different focus.

4: How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"? I haven't. I only recently found out about it and have just picked it up from the library.

5: Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?! It is today number 16 on my list. Which is why I'm reading it now. I cheated a little in that I have another book due back at the library next week which I was supposed to read first, but if I read that (#1 book), it will move this from 16th spot to 15th so I need to read this one first. I may need to return the other book and put it on hold again!

message 20: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | -2 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
What Maisie Knew by Henry James
Yes I'm happy with it, it probably would have sat there lonely and unlooked at otherwise!
Stand alone
I don't even remember putting it on, so not at all! It's on the 1001 books to read before you die list, so I'm assuming that's why I did it.
I definitely didn't ;)

message 21: by Gail (new)

Gail (abbygg) | 341 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax by Dorothy Gilman
I was happy with it...
It's actually the first of a series. I have quite a few of those on my TBR.
a few at least.
So if I tell you I changed it, does that invalidate the selection? All truth, it was in the top ten listed on my nook app. I was on vacation. #16 was going to thoroughly depress me I knew (and I was right, I'm reading it now). So ...

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Never Let Me Go

I was happy with it!

stand alone

I don't really tend to go back and look at my list.

Yes, it was #16 when I was planning my reading challenge. So convenient that it's also June Book of the Month.

message 23: by J (new)

J Austill | 673 comments ^That is incredibly lucky, Michelle. I can't wait to start that one.

1: What are you reading this week?

The Human Division by John Scalzi

It wasn't picked for me at all.

This is the 5th book in a series that is currently 6 books long (plus a number of short stories and a between the numbers Novella).

Never, its only been on my TBR for less than a month.

This book was #16 before I marked it as 'Currently Reading' last night. However, it was very much my choice since, at the start of the year, I had less than a dozen books on my TBR.

Unlike most people in this group, I had to quickly find and add books to my TBR to get it up in count and that also meant that i could choose what hit at 16. Had I known about the 'Wild Card' option, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

message 24: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Phantom, the 10th book in the Sword of Truth series.

2: Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you? I was happy since I wanted to read this in 2016 anyway.

3: Is this book a stand alone book, or in the middle of a series? It's obviously on the far end of a series ;) Each book of this series I read is less good but I feel compelled to finish it (don't ask why).

4: How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"? Not that many actually. I read the 9th for the challenge last year and planned to read it in 2016.

5: Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?! When I did my plan, It actually was in the 17th place, but in the 16th place was #11 of the series. Since Red Dragon, which I also planned, was in the 1st place I decided it was a good enough 16th ;)
It's funny because now the 16th is Dead and Gone, the 9th book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, which I also planned to read this year ;)

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 906 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Oh! You Pretty Things
2: Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you? I am a little worried that it will annoy me. But it could also be mindless fun.
3: Is this book a stand alone book, or in the middle of a series? I believe stand alone
4: How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"? Not sure but it was at more that twice.
5: Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?! Yes it was.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth | 126 comments Sophie wrote: "1: What are you reading this week? Phantom, the 10th book in the Sword of Truth series.

2: Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you? I was h..."

This was my experience with The Sword of Truth series also. I really enjoyed Wizard's First Rule, but they fell off steadily after that. I think I stopped at book 6. Good luck! :)

message 27: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1305 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Kushiel's Scion

I was okay with the book being picked for me. It was a book that I had put on my TBR so wished to read it.

I was lucky that this was the beginning of a new trilogy. I had read the other trilogies in the series too. My library does not have it in book form, only audio book on the streaming service hoopla, so I have not tried to read it until this prompt.

It was the 16th on my list when the challenge was made. Luckily it worked out for me. :)

message 28: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1732 comments 1: What are you reading this week? True by Katherine Hannigan

2: Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you? No, I liked it being picked for me, as I'd loved the book I had read previously by this wonderful author a few years ago: Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World.

3: Is this book a stand alone book, or in the middle of a series? This is a stand alone book.

4: How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"? Many, many times, but I always found other things to read.

5: Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?! It was #16 at one point, but when I added it to my 'currently reading' shelf today, it had slipped to #14. Not bad overall.

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
12 Years a Slave and Other Slave Narratives by Solomon Northup
12 Years a Slave and Other Slave Narratives

I wasn't a fan that it was extremely restrictive, but I did want to read this book so I was ok with it,

Standalone.

No idea, but probably at least a few.

Yep. I change the order of my books all the time, but this was the 16th book on my list based on the date added and as the dates they are added can't be altered, this was definitely #16.

message 30: by Lyndi (new)

Lyndi (mibookobsession) 1. I read Me Before You.
2. Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you? It was on my TBR, so I eventually wanted to read it.
3: Is this book a stand alone book, or in the middle of a series? There is a second book that I plan on reading soon, After You
4: How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"? Since it was published, lol
5: Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?! On my goodreads list, no. But on the list of books I wanted to get off my list this year, this was #16.

message 31: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Het magische schip (Ship of Magic) by Robin Hobb

I was very happy with this choice

It is the first book in a series

Many times :)

I tried a lot of different settings and this was the 16th book in some way and the one that I wanted to put in my plan the most. (and I also put the 2nd and 3rd book in my plan)

message 32: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Unwind

I'm happy this was this book and not something random that I added and I've no idea why :)

First in the series (I think there are 4 books, but not sure).

It's a dystopia (what a good surprise :p) so it's in all the lists I check for books to read in the genre. So probably several times since I discovered the damn things that are listopias and listchallenges.

More or less number 16 at the time I did my plan. I was about to start reading a book with a low number and I'd another scheduled, so I thought it would be 16 if I counted them read. No idea if it's still 16th but I won't change :)

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna | 969 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Confess by Colleen Hoover.

I wanted to read it, as it had won the Goodreads Choice Awards for Romance last year.

It's a standalone.

I can't recall doing that.

I weeded some books from the list to get to this...

message 34: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 50 comments 1: What are you reading this week?

The Child Taker/Slow Burn by Conrad Jones

Not unhappy, but many reads for other groups I wouldn't have added for now.

It's 2 books in one kindle edition.

A few.

Honest, or wouldn't have added to the reading list!

message 35: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 54 comments I'm reading I'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti by Niccolò Ammaniti. I didn't mind the book already being picked for me. Things being randomly selected satisfies me a whole lot. This is a stand alone book, that was apparently made into a film that I have never heard of. I never really paid this book much attention. I believe the only reason I added it to my TBR was because it was a goodread's giveaway book, and I was interested in what it was about. This was actually #16 on my list. I like to play by the rules, lol!

message 36: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I was looking for a good Italian book for next year's category "a book from a neighbouring country" and this one looks quite interesting!

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 136 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I will be reading Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

I am happy with the choice and also liked the complete randomness of it.

It is the 4th book in the Jackson Brodie series.

Lots! I think it is a 'safe' choice for me because I have read the rest of the series so it gets overlooked when I am looking for something a bit different.

No it really was #16 on my list! I have since re-jigged my list to put it into chronological order but I really liked this category as a means of randomly selecting a wild card.

message 38: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood.

I'm happy with it. I don't really feel like it was picked for me, because I'm the one that put it on my TBR.

Stand-alone, thank God.

Not many - I read The Handmaid's Tale last year and have been wanting to read more by Atwood ever since.

When I was putting my list together at the end of last year, it was #16.

message 39: by Areeba (new)

Areeba books and kids  | 92 comments The Anatomy of Curiosity (The Curiosities, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

The Anatomy of Curiosities by Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff

I am very happy with this choice, and was trying to fit this in the challenge, the minute it assumed the 16th position on my TBR, I picked it up.
I think there are two books or Curosities, but u can get by with reading one.
This has been on my TBR since two months.
It WAS number 16, when I picked it up.

message 40: by Crystal (last edited Aug 13, 2016 10:50PM) (new)

Crystal (myeerah) | 125 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Wither (The Chemical Garden #1) by Lauren DeStefano
Wither

Im happy since its one i had put on my list a few years ago and had forgotten about it.

First of a series

Not for a while, my to read list is over 1000

Yep

message 41: by Therese (last edited Aug 26, 2016 07:27AM) (new)

Therese  I read Floodpath: The Deadliest Man-Made Disaster of 20th-Century America and the Making of Modern Los Angeles by Jon Wilkman for week #33.

I was happy with the #16 choice. It is a stand alone book.

The book was published in 2016, so I haven't looked at this book on my TBR list too many times.

"Floodpath" was actually #16 on my TBR list.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2634 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Before We Were Strangers

I'm happy with it, but because of the system that I used to choose it (as I will explain below).

It is a stand-alone. I wouldn't have read a book that was in the middle of a series unless I had already read the earlier books in the series. Even if that's a bit of a cheat, it doesn't make sense so me to read a book out of context.

This book has been on my list for almost exactly one year. I wouldn't say that I kept coming close to reading it and putting it off, but I'd definitely noticed it on my list a few times.

Yes, and no. When I set my plan for the year, it was around the same time that I realized you could sort your list in many different ways. The 16th book on my list in chronological order from when I added them was Robinson Crusoe, which was there among a massive list of all the classics I've always intended to read and wasn't even something that I was really convinced I still wanted to read.

I started experimenting a bit with different ways of arranging my list, and I also at the time was constantly adding more books. I soon realized that if the list is set to "random," the 16th book changed all the time. I knew that I didn't want to read anything in the middle of a series I hadn't started, and also I'm dependent on the library for most of my challenge books and wanted to ensure that I could get the book in time. I decided to set my list to random and refresh it 5 times, recording the 16th book each time. Then I picked the book I was most interested in from that selection of 5...so technically, it was the 16th on my list, but since I usually keep my list set to random anyway, it isn't always.

message 43: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 358 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez
Very happy
Stand alone
Yes

message 44: by star_fire13 (last edited Sep 19, 2016 10:30AM) (new)

star_fire13 | 203 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I am reading Room

It was one of the first books I added to my GoodReads TBR list, back when I was getting back into reading and needing book recommendations asap. I never got around to reading it, because it's an adult book, and not usually the kind of things I read. So initially, I was dismayed that I would have to read this book, but at the same time really happy, because it meant I would finally get it off my list.

It's a standalone book

Haha a million times, especially when I found out it was going to be made into a movie (I had added it to my list way back in like, 2011)

This was 100% honestly the 16th book on my list. I decided to sort my list based on when I had added books, and then picked the 16th book that had been added to it. Normally my list is sorted by publication date, which wouldn't have worked out.

message 45: by Alexis (new)

Alexis  (TheSlothReader) For this challenge, I read We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. I was super excited to see that this was the chosen book (or well speech). It is an adaptation of the TedxTalk that she gave some years back about feminism, so it is of course a standalone. I always knew that I would get around to this since it's so short but I just needed the right push. This was not the 16th book on my TBR shelf, but the sixteenth most recently added item to my TBR shelf. I think that counts.

message 46: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 152 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Erm, see #5, haha.
Stand alone.
Lots, actually.
Yes, I changed the number!!

message 47: by Krysta (new)

Krysta | 79 comments What are you reading this week?
The Devil You Know

Were you happy with that choice, or did you hate that it was already picked for you?
I liked this book, so I was happy with it.

It was a stand alone book.

How many times do you think you've looked at this book on your list and said "maybe later"?
This book was pretty far down my list, so I had forgotten it was there.

Ok, tell the truth, was this actually #16 on your list, or did you change the number?!?!

It was 16, on one list.

message 48: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments A Canticle for Leibowitz. It was 16th on my list when I was doing my plan. I was very happy with this choice and would have read it any way. It was excellent!

It is a standalone book.

message 49: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 358 comments Marta wrote: "A Canticle for Leibowitz. It was 16th on my list when I was doing my plan. I was very happy with this choice and would have read it any way. It was excellent!

It is a standalone book."

I LOVED it too and I don't usually read science fiction.

message 50: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (katejohnsson) | 56 comments Life After Life

I liked this book, so I was happy with it.

It was a stand alone book.

Many times

It was 16, but not at the week we were supposed to read it. It shifted to number 16 and then I said, ok, I can read this.

« previous 1