Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Progress Posts 2016 > 32: A historical fiction book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Jan 06, 2016 11:20AM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) This week we took a step back in time. Did you enjoy it? Let's find out!

Suggestions:
GoodReads Best Historical Fiction

For those of you reading in order, this is week: August 5-August 11. Don't forget to post in the A-Z title folders!

1: What are you reading this week?
2: Was it hard for you to find a book to fit this category?
3: Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it?
4: Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category?

message 2: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) 1. What are you reading this week?
The Lake House Kate Morton

2. Was it hard for you to find a book to fit this category?
Not at all. I've planned to read this book for a long time.

3. Did you enjoy this category to recommend others try reading a book that fall in it?
Historical fiction is one of my favoutite genre and recommend to anyone.

message 3: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads | 174 comments Can you verify the dates for this week? It seems like it should be August 5-11, not July...?

message 4: by MJ (last edited Jan 07, 2016 11:09AM) (new)

MJ | 666 comments I am reading Marcus Clarke's For The Term of His Natural Life located here in the A-Z files.

No, it wasn't hard to find a book for this category. I've been meaning to read this one for ever.

Since I am only starting it, I don't know if I can recommend it. I do like the style of the writing, but it is also a classic, and I know many do not like reading from this genre.

It fits into the "historical fiction" category because it follow the crime and subsequent deportation/exile of an English man who is sent to the Australian penal colonies. The author was born in London in 1846 and expected a life of comfort until his father's fortune's changed and who subsequently went into an asylum. The author, still a teen, was sent to family in Australia even before his died in the asylum from "softening of the brain"… whatever that means. The author lived in both countries during the time in which the book is set. I hope it will be fascinating, if not disturbing.

message 5: by Stacey (last edited Jan 24, 2016 08:47AM) (new)

Stacey D.  | 1727 comments My latest book in the challenge was chosen for Week 32: a work of historical fiction.

1: What are you reading this week? The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
2: Was it hard for you to find a book to fit this category? No, there are so many great works in this genre, it was not difficult. But I had wanted to read The Nightingale since last year, so I chose it for this category. I love good works of historical fiction and have read many novels of this type over the years.
3: Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it? Yes, most definitely. I will be recommending this novel to others for many reasons, including those who share a love for historical fiction. In fact, this book was recommended to me by my cousin, who loved it tremendously. While I found it to be an engrossing story and well written, it did have its flaws. There could have been more "facts" uncovered here, i.e. why did one of the main characters end up in the city that she did and times/dates that seemed to not add up. And some aspects of the characters were not the most realistic. Still, this is a wonderful and enjoyable a read, but mainly geared to a woman's taste. (It pains me to write that but, alas, it's true.)
4: Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category? The story is centered around the French Resistance movement during WWII and is based on the brave French men and especially, the unsung heroes of that war, the women of France, who courageously sacrificed their lives and safety so that others could live. It depicts the brutality of the SS and the concentration camps, the harshness of everyday life during the six years of war endured by innocent people and the ways in which they had to save themselves and their children for the sake of freedom. As the last line states perfectly, "We remain."

message 6: by Julia (last edited May 15, 2016 10:50PM) (new)

Julia (_mj_howard) Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon

1: What are you reading this week?
"Voyager (Outlander #3)" by Diana Gabaldon

No, it is one of my favourite genres.

3: Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it?
Definitely, and loving the TV series that has now come out based on the book series.

4: Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category?
I started this series last year and the history involved, re Scotland's, Europe's and Jamaica, is all so fascinating and touches on things I knew nothing about. I love learning something new.

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 1158 comments 1. Reading The Dark Age.
2. Was a little tricky trying to decide if time travel counted, but of course it did. If all the 'isn't the past pretty?' stories don't count then I don't know what to do with them.
3. I'd recommend it. There are always interesting tales to tell.
4. It's the basic A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court plot. Girl from the modern era gets warped back to ancient Briton and basically takes over using modern ideas and technology to her advantage.

message 8: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 152 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

Not at all; I have a ton of books that fit under this category on my to-read list.

Yes, most definitely.

It kind of reads like a history book in parts (which I DON'T like). About a Hawaiian girl who contracts leprosy and gets sent to Moloka'i (and yes, they actually sent lepers to Moloka'i back in the day; we learned about that at school when I was growing up in Hawaii).

message 9: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 46 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The High Mountains of Portugal

Not at all. I really enjoy historical fiction.

Definitely.

It starts off in 1904 Lisbon, but also includes bits of a journal dating from 1600's Africa. The second part of the book seems to take place in the 1930's. I'm not sure yet about the third part - not quite there yet. :)

message 10: by Wendorej (new)

Wendorej | 55 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Esperanza Rising - Pam Muñoz Ryan
Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan
Not to fit the category but to find a book that I thought I would enjoy
Yes, I think it's just a question of finding the period in time that you are interested in.
For me "historical fiction" is a story that is based on a real event or specific period in time, but the characters in the story are not real (or not all of them are real), even though they are based on people who could have lived during this real time or real event.

message 11: by Gail (new)

Gail (abbygg) | 341 comments 1. What are you reading this week?
The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees
Not at all. It's one of my two favorite genres.
Yes, definitely. There are so many wonderful books published in this category. You learn a little history while reading a terrific (if not necessarily "true") story-line.
The main character was Louisa May Alcott along with her parents and sisters. It occurred during a time period that the family definitely spent time in New Hampshire, there is just very little else known about that time period. The friends and the love stories are the fiction. This is not a romance novel - it is a "what if" novel.

message 12: by Katerina (last edited Oct 26, 2016 05:38AM) (new)

Katerina (katejohnsson) | 56 comments I have read Death Is My Trade. It wasn't hard for me to find a book to fit this category, I read plenty historical fiction books. I would recomend the book to everyone who likes to read about holocaust. It fits to the category because it is about holocaust.

message 13: by Erica (last edited Mar 05, 2016 01:59AM) (new)

Erica | 458 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Orphan TrainThe Light Between Oceans

No, I just chose a book from the ones I had on hold from the library.

3: Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it? Definitely. I love to learn more about history this way.

4: Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category? It goes back and forth between 2011 and the past (starting in about the 1920's).

message 14: by Beth (last edited Mar 08, 2016 04:19PM) (new)

Beth | 126 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I'm reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

Not at all. I had planned to read this book last year, so it was already in my TBR. This is one of my favorite genres, so even if I hadn't had this one lined up I'm sure I could have found something pretty easily.

Absolutely! I love history and I love well done historical fiction.

The central characters are real, historical people (the historical part) and while this book will cover actual historical events, it isn't a history book (the fiction part.)

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments What are you reading this week? Strings Attached by Judy Blundell

Was it hard for you to find a book to fit this category? Not particularly, no. This wasn't the one I had in mind originally. I read What I Saw and How I Lied for a different challenge and thought it was surprisingly good so I thought I'd give another of Judy Blundell's books a chance. I should have quit while I was ahead... this was awfully bland and very disappointing.

Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it? I am a big fan of historical fiction so I'd definitely recommend it to others. I wouldn't recommend this book, but the genre is good. The nice thing about historical fiction is that it can be coupled with other genres. Historical fiction mysteries, historical fiction romance, historical fantasy, etc. It's like getting two for the price of one! ;D

Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category? It was about a teenage girl living on her own in New York City in the 1950's dealing with her boyfriend's family mafia ties and her own familial dramas. It was dry piece of toast level boring.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 73 comments I am reading Two Thousand Seasons this week.

It is about and is set during the time period of the African slave trade. I enjoy historical fiction, so it was easy to find a book and I would recommend historical fiction to others.

message 17: by Jean (new)

Jean Cole (joc724) | 328 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart
Not at all.
Next to mysteries, historical fiction -- that is, a book that gives a sense of a time in the past in an accurate way while at the same time telling an entertaining story -- is my favorite category. I've gained lots of insight (I think) about challenges that people in the past faced through reading historical fiction.
This is a novel based on the true story of one of the nation's first female deputy sheriffs.

message 18: by Monique (new)

Monique | 66 comments What are you reading this week?
The Last Maasai Warrior by Frank Coates
Was it hard for you to find a book to fit this category?
No, I really enjoy historical fiction books
Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it?
I always enjoy this category, and I do recommend it to others.
Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category?
It's a novel based on the colonisation of the Maasai land in 1904.

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 97 comments I am reading, The House at Riverton by Kate Morton.
I struggled finding a book for this topic, but I am happy with my choice. This is my first Kate Morton novel, and it won't be my last.

message 20: by Aine (new)

Aine | 173 comments What are you reading this week?
The Dream of the Celt by Mario Vargas Llosa

No, this week marks the centenary of the 1916 Rising, an important moment in Irish Independence. So I was very eager to read this fictionalised history of one of the leaders, Roger Casement.

Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others to try reading a book from it?
I think opportunities to read new genres often arise organically. For instance, my reading a historical biography while Ireland is marking the centenary of an important event. I don't think it's useful to urge people to read books that they aren't enthusiastic about.

Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the historical fiction category?
It's based on the diaries and other writings of Roger Casement. The fiction element probably comes from the author's interpretation. For instance, Llosa seems to dispute the accuracy of Casement's diaries. It has long been thought that they might have been faked to undermine Casement in the public eye, but it now seems that this isn't true. Llosa, however, presents Casement's descriptions of his homosexual experiences as exaggeration and wishful thinking. But I worry that such judgement is unfair and unwarranted. If Casement's closest secrets had to be revealed to the world, surely we are now it a better place to acknowledge that his sexuality had no bearing on his patriotism and achievements in protecting human rights.

message 21: by Libscigrl (new)

Libscigrl (animlgrl) | 39 comments For this week, I read Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley.

No, many of my books are historical fiction in some form or fashion.

Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it? Most of my fellow reader friends also enjoy this genre of books and we've often swapped titles.

Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category? This book takes place in the years following the Civil War, but it is not a true story.

message 22: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Kindred

Not, there are plenty of historical fictions, but I don't read for the historical part, so I'm not aware of which books fall in this category.

I think it's a fine recommendation for some particular times or events. Otherwise, it's not really necessary to read 300 books set in victorian England :p

The black heroine travels to 1820, when there was slavery and she has to deal with the way people acted at this time. It feels pretty realistic in the way it's told.

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2201 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson

This book was published in 2016.

No. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres so I have plenty on my TBR.

I definitely recommend historical fiction to people I think might like it.

It's fiction set in the past - before World War I. I haven't read the book yet to know if real historical people are included in the book as well as fictional.

reply | flag *

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments 1: What are you reading this week?

I read Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín.

Nope, I love historical fiction and read lots of it!

Yes, but I have a major bias--I was a history major in college and find most parts of history to be fascinating.

It's set in 1950s Ireland and NYC, so it's certainly not a contemporary novel. Plus, most of the "drama" per se in the book is due to mores that most of present day society would find ridiculous, like the "scandal" of premarital sex and such like that.

message 25: by Celia (last edited Jun 03, 2016 02:47PM) (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 358 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Tilted World by Tom Franklin
Absolutely not. Historical fiction is my favorite genre.
I am ALWAYS talking up historical fiction. In fact I talk up historical non-fiction as well. You know what they say, truth is stranger than fiction.
Set against the backdrop of the historic 1927 Mississippi Flood, a story of murder and moonshine, sandbagging and saboteurs, dynamite and deluge-and a man and a woman who find unexpected love.
The Flood of Good Friday 1927 really DID happen. On Apr 15, 1927, the levee at Mounds Landing, near Greenville, MS, collapsed and a wall of water 100 feet high and twice the force of Niagara Falls scooped out the delta. It flattened almost 1,000,000 homes, drowning 27,000 square miles, sometimes up to thirty feet of water high, and the water remained for four months. Over 330,000 people were rescued from trees, roofs, and levees. This disaster is considered to be the worst natural disaster that the USA has endured, yet the flood of 1927 seems largely forgotten today.

message 26: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I read The Girl Who Came Home

Not really. I already had this book in my library

I don't recommend books often actually.

It is set on the Titanic as it sinks so it is a ficticious account of a real historical event.

message 27: by Lyndi (new)

Lyndi (mibookobsession) I'm reading At the Edge of the Orchard. It wasn't hard to find a book in this category. I love reading historical fiction. My mom and I read similar books and I recommend a lot of historical fiction to her and also a few other friends. This book is set in the American frontier about a pioneering family.

message 28: by Molly (new)

Molly (bookshelfmystic) | 26 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Hild by Nicola Griffith. It's a novel about a real historical figure, Saint Hilda, who lived in seventh-century Britain.

A bit. I don't read much historical fiction, but I got Hild from a book subscription service and I'm going to the UK in July so I wanted to give it a try.

It depends on the topic. I've actually read a couple of historical fiction books this year and I'd recommend both of them (the other one was Snow Flower and the Secret Fan), especially if the time period interests you.

Hild is a really clear-cut case of historical fiction. It's based on a real historical figure, and Nicola Griffith did a ton of research to make the setting as realistic and vivid as possible.

message 29: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 358 comments Molly wrote: "1: What are you reading this week?
Hild by Nicola Griffith. It's a novel about a real historical figure, Saint Hilda, who lived in seventh-century Britain.

2: Was it hard for you t..."

nice review - thank you for pointing me to this book

message 30: by Manda (last edited Apr 30, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments What are you reading this week?
Salvage the Bones
Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward

Not at all. I have a bunch of books for this category in my TBR, and I've been meaning to read this for awhile. It was a perfect fit.

Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it?
Without a doubt!

Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category?
Because, it's a fictionalized story that revolves around the coming of Hurricane Katrina.

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra | 374 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon

No, I've been meaning to read this last book in the Outlander series for a few months now.

I enjoyed this series of books even though when I started them they were so not my usual genre. I would recommend the series, yes....if you enjoy really long books with a lot of detail.

Because it takes place primarily in the 18th century, but also around the time of the end of WW2. That's history. And because it involves time travel. And that's definitely fiction! :)

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I had to shuffle several books around for a while before finally settling on the prompts for each, since there were quite a few historical fiction topics in my two challenges. In the end, I chose The Heretic's Daughter.

Not at all, although it was hard to choose which one. I've always been a fan of historical fiction

I enjoy the category, but I can't say yet whether I enjoyed the book since I was just starting. In general, I would definitely recommend historical fiction because I think it's a great way to bring history to life in a way that just the facts might not. Often, when I read a historical fiction book, I end up doing a lot of outside research afterwards to try and figure out which parts were actually true.

I think it's a pretty clear one. It's about the Salem Witch Trials in the 1700s, told from the perspective of a real person but it is not a story that this person wrote themselves.

message 33: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 906 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I'll See You in Paris
Not really, I had thought about reading this for the beautiful cover week and then noticed it was categorized and historical fiction so put it on hold at the library.
3: Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it? This is not a category I normally read but when I do I find I am pleasantly surprised so yes I would recommend other try it.
4: Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category? I have to say I don't think that it fits the traditional category that well. Most of it is set in the early 1970's and in 2001. There are bits of the story that go back further in time but not like I thought it would.

message 34: by Tamula (new)

Tamula | 33 comments Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson
There is some magical realism in this story but it is mainly about the American gold rush period.
2. Many books I could have chosen for this challenge.
3. Would definitely recommend.
4. Set in an American historical period.

message 35: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | -2 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Not at all. I seem to be reading more and more historical fiction. I love learning more about past events, through engaging with characters and their stories. I've also been meaning to read a Ken Follet novel for years, so it was a great reason to pick one up.
Definitely. And while I know not everyone likes history, I think historical fiction is a kind of sneaky way of forcing history on to people ;)
It very vividly describes life in 12th century England, as well as giving a historical account of how stonemasons built cathedrals, although the cathedral and town in the book are fictional.

message 36: by June (new)

June I'll be reading : Chains (Seeds of America, #1) by Laurie Halse Anderson

Historical fiction is one of my top genres. Ny problem is not finding a book, but choosing one book of the many I have. This genre is a way to know history without necessarily being swamped by lots of seemingly bland facts and dates. It is like seeing a particular timeline through the eyes of a ordinary person or in some cases a celebrity.

Chains is set in 1776 and deals with slavery at that time. I know that there are many books on this topic and I seem never to mind these stories. That's all I know for now and I will wait to see how it unfolds.

message 37: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 913 comments What are you reading this week?
Revelation by C.J. Sansom

Was it hard for you to find a book to fit this category?No, historical fiction is one of my favourite genres and was on my TBR list

Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it? I would , but I think people are either into it or not

Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category? It is set in 1543. The time of King Henry VIII

message 38: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments 1. What are you reading this week?
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
Ha, you're funny. Historical fiction is my all-time favorite genre, and I have more of them on my TBR than I will finish in this lifetime.
I have recommended this very book to everyone in my book club (and one person has already read Ira!)
It is written by a contemporary author but set in the 1800s and is based on the story of real individuals in a component of historical America - the Underground Railroad.

message 39: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) What did you read?
Royal Blood by Rhys Bowen

No! I'm always reading historical fiction. For instance, in 2015, I read 34 historical fiction novels, 19 of which were mysteries.

Absolutely!

Well, as it takes place in the years between World War I and II, I'd say it qualifies! It also features actual historical figures like Prince Edward and Mrs Simpson.

message 40: by J (last edited Jul 21, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

J Austill | 673 comments 1: What are you reading this week?

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Oh no, not at all. I'd been looking for an excuse to read this for a long time. I just love Alice Walker. As soon as I saw this on the list, it was a done deal.

Well, I think that everybody should read all the categories. It's sort of a requirement to completing the 52 Week Challenge.

Well, it takes place in the past and is not based on a true story.. so... yes.

message 41: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

Not really. This book is being talked about quite a lot, and I'm also on a mission to read all of the Pulitzer-winning novels, so it was an easy choice.

It's not a genre that I actively seek out, but I have read some wonderful historical fiction books. So I suppose, yes!

It's set during WWII.

message 42: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

No, I've been wanting to read this book for a long time, and historical fiction is one of my favorite genres.

I've always enjoyed historical fiction, so yes

It takes place in Afghanistan from around 1964 till 2003 and describes life as a woman during this period with war and many political changes.

message 43: by Helin (new)

Helin Puksand | 43 comments 1: What are you reading this week? One Night in Winter by Simon Sebag Montefiore
2: Was it hard for you to find a book to fit this category? No
3: Did you enjoy this category enough to recommend others try reading a book that falls in it? It was a very interesting book, I suggest. :)
4: Since you're reading the book, why do you think it fits into the "historical fiction" category? This is about year 1945.

message 44: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (myeerah) | 125 comments 1. What are you reading this week?
Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran

Not really, i like historical fictions so ive had a few on my to read list.

yeh, my mom might actually read this book as well

it is about a time period before modern time, mid-late 1800s India during the beginning of the English "colonization".

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 136 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
This week I will be reading Narcopolis by Jeet Thayil.

Not at all; historical fiction is my favourite genre. It is also extremely wide so there is lots of choice.

Most of my favourite books of all time are historical fiction so I have encouraged lots of people to read them:
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernières
Winter in Madrid by C.J. Sansom
The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

The book is set in 1970s Bombay so it is only recent history but I think that still counts! One of the things I like best about historical fiction is that you inevitably learn a bit of history, politics and culture along the way. One of my favourite books, A Fine Balance, was also set in India in the 1970s and 1980s so Narcopolis has a lot to live up to!

message 46: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 50 comments I'm planning to read Dissolution by C J Sansom. This is a new category for me, but is in my TBR pile. Hope to complete on time, have a couple of books already started which I will finish first.

message 47: by oliviasbooks (last edited Aug 13, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 106 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
And I Darken by Kiersten White.

No. I did not select every book for very category in advance. I had preordered the book believing that I would acquire a piece of historical fantasy, featuring medieval vampires. But as I read the book, it turned out to be historical fiction. Fictions that doesn't cling too tightly to the facts, but historical fiction mentioning and using real, historic persons anyway.

I did not dislike the book, but I will not read the sequel. However, I have read and enjoyed quite a lot of historical ficton books, part of them also for young adults.

See question 2.

message 48: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 626 comments Molly wrote: "1: What are you reading this week?

2: Was it hard for you t..."

I've been curious about this book! Good to hear from someone who has actually read it!

message 49: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 626 comments Joy wrote: "1. What are you reading this week?
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
Ha, you're funny. Historical fic..."

I've been wanting to read this- I did a big paper in college on the Grinke sisters and had a cat named Grimke.

message 50: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 626 comments 1: What are you reading this week? The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman

2: Was it hard for you to find a book to fit this category? Like what seems to be everyone, it's the genre I read the most.

I read it enough that it is probably what I recommend the most

It's the story of the mother of Camille Pissaro, one of the founders of Impressionism. This is about the 5th challenge in a row I've responded with an art themed book!

« previous 1