Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Progress Posts 2016 > 31: A work of young adult fiction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Jan 06, 2016 11:20AM) (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) This week was all about the Young Adult section. Too mature for children, and sometimes not enough spice for Adults.

Suggestions:
YA Novels

If you're reading in order, this is week: July 29-August 4. Don't forget to post in the A-Z title folders!!

1: What are you reading this week?
2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"?
3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read?
4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree?

message 2: by MJ (last edited Jan 01, 2016 07:34AM) (new)

MJ | 661 comments I am not reading the challenges in order. Instead, week 31 is my first book and I've selected The Sword In The Stone, which is located here in the a-z discussion folders.

I think I "borrowed" this book from my much older sister before I was a teen and now, at 41, I'm reading it for the first time. I'm a few chapters in and I'm really enjoying it so for that reason, I'm going to say it should just be a book for any age and not just young adults. But then again, Harry Potter is young adult fiction (right?) and I think that series should be read by everyone too!

After this book I am more likely to look at childhood classics, rather than the young adult genre. By 12 I was reading Terry Brooks and Piers Anthony and Tolkien, and I never read much of the YA stuff. I didn't read a lot of the children's classics either and I think I'd much rather read books from that genre and see what I missed!

message 3: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 106 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Tonight the Streets Are Ours

No, it's a very recent publication.

3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read?
I have a problem with the expression Young Adult anyway, because I automatically thinl 18 and older. In Germany we call the books aimed at teens Youth Literature. Fits better, in my opinion. TTSAO is aimed at rather younger teens, I would say. And it doesn't have that magic This Song Will Save Your Life emanates.

4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree?
I haven't stopped reading Children's and Young Adult books since I was a kid. (I am 40 now). I just broadend my range. Although I also read Adult Fiction, when I was young - due to a lack of proper material in our house. My taste didn't really change. It occasionally wobbles from time to time.

message 4: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads | 173 comments The dates for this week should be July 29-August 4, correct? Just checking...

message 5: by Stacey (last edited Jan 07, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Stacey D.  | 1707 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Lies We Tell Ourselves

No, this is a recent publication.

Because it deals with some mature themes, I'd classify it as both Young Adult (16 and over) and Adult reading.

I've been reading YA books for the past 10 years or so, mainly to keep step with what my teen stepdaughter's been reading. I don't read only YA books, but I have really enjoyed some of this genre like The Hunger Games series, The Giver and the Miss Peregrine series.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I finished the Delirium series with Requiem.

I didn't read this as a young adult because it wasn't out back then.

I think this book is classified as YA because it's written about people in that age range, but dystopian novels have become so popular among YA and adult audiences, that I think this series is fitting for adults as well.

Reading this series has totally put me on a YA reading spree. And I'm loving it.

message 7: by star_fire13 (last edited Jan 18, 2016 03:16PM) (new)

star_fire13 | 204 comments I wanted to do this challenge in order, but then I realized that I joined the group a little late for that, and I already have a million books from the library taken out. So now I'm just doing the books however I can.

1: What are you reading this week? I am reading Alienated, by Melissa Landers

2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"? Nope, I'm reading it now for the first time

3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read? So far, it seems pretty YA. The main character is 17. She's being pressured to have sex from her boyfriend. There's a sexy new potential love interest. It's nothing scandalous, but yeah. It's definitely for the teens.

4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? I almost exclusively read YA novels, so completing some of the other weeks is me actually stepping outside of my comfort zone haha but no, I don't want to relive my teen years. I'm a teen at heart, but with all the freedoms and awesomeness of being an adult haha

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (pagelady) 1: What are you reading this week? Every Last Word
2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"? Nope. I'm an old fogey who loves Young Adult fiction.
3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read? Young Adult, for sure
4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? I read young adult fiction because I like the new writing trends and because I have teenagers at home. I don't even want to BE a teenager again :)

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 911 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Hollow City
2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"? No . This book wasn't about then
3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read? Not sure really. I liked the first book in this series, and I'm far from being a young adult
4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? No, I read what I like regardless of the classification. No way would I want to be a teenager again.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (pagelady) Same, Jill! I'm content where I'm at in life!

message 11: by star_fire13 (new)

star_fire13 | 204 comments Jenny wrote: "Same, Jill! I'm content where I'm at in life!"

Haha I don't think any of us would ever want to be a teen again. I mean, I miss how easy high school was and I still read YA, more so now than ever really, but yeah, I'm definitely happy where I am too haha

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments I wouldn't mind not having the stress of work and adult responsibilities, but still, teenagers are weird haha

message 13: by Erika (new)

Erika | 5 comments 1: What are you reading this week? I completed With Malice by Eileen Cook.
2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"? No, this is a new release coming out in July 2016
3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read? I think it's written with the young adult in mind, however it's an enjoyable mystery for any age.
4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? I adore young adult books. I actually read a lot of middle grade too. I like what I like. If the story sounds good, I'll check it out, regardless of who they had in mind for a reader.

message 14: by Krysta (new)

Krysta | 80 comments 1: What are you reading this week? I read Fangirl

2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"? No, this came out in the last couple of years. I'm past YA age.

3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read? I think its geared toward young adult, but others will enjoy it.

4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? No. I am happy where I am in life and don't miss all the young adult drama.

message 15: by Julia (new)

Julia (_mj_howard) All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Another that has been on my radar since it came out.

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2471 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
UnBound by Neal Shusterman

No, it was just published in Dec 2015 and I am way past the YA age!

I am not far enough into to say. The sci-fi dystopia genre appeals to a wide range of ages, not just young adults.

No to re-living teen years but, if I like it, I will go back and read the rest of the Unwind series. I am reading this out of order but I'll see if it makes any sense and peaks my interest. I do like the author, Neal Shusterman, and plan on reading more of his books.

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth | 123 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

No, this is a newer book and I haven't been YA age for a while. :)

I think the novel is definitely geared toward gay young men like the characters in the book. Not that that should stop people of other genders, ages, or orientations from reading it. It was excellent.

While I have absolutely zero interest in being a teenager again, I regularly read YA books. There is a lot of great stuff out there.

message 18: by Marta (last edited Jan 29, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
Gabi, a Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero

New book, old reader here...

It is a book about a Mexican-American girl in high school, struggling with the usual weight and boy problems, but there are quite a few rather serious issues raised as well, such as her father's meth use and its impact on the family; teenage pregnancy; Chatolic bigotry; cultural and generational divide between the immigrant Mexicans and their American born children; rape, feminism and double standards for boys and girls. I say it is a young adult book that is definitely a worthwhile read for anyone.

I read young adult books regularly, mixed in with the adult books. Some of our best literature is young adult, because coming of age is often the most interesting period of a person's life -when they are figuring out important things for the first time. There are many that tackle serious problems with the openness and honesty of young people. Also, some of the best fantasy has been YA lately (Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.). In general, young adult literature has seen a big resurgence lately, ignoring it would feel snobbish, or, well, ignorant.

Edit: I got two teenage daughters so it is good to read with them :)

message 19: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 90 comments 1:What are you reading this week?
This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

No. This is a recent release.

Definitely young adult with teenage narrators.

Young adult books although I don't think of them as particularly nostalgic they're always an interesting read.

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brocmo1) | 28 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I am reading the third book in The Selection series, The One. The series is by Kiera Cass.

No I didn't. The books just came out in the last few years and I don't think 30 still counts as a young adult ;-)

Yes I think it is placed in the correct genre. The ages of the characters are late teen to early twenties.

It does NOT make me want to relive my teen years. Not one bit. I love reading YA novels though so I would do a reading spree on my own free will. Not because of this series.

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina | 122 comments 1: What are you reading this week? The Heir
2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"? No.
3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read? Characters are in late teen years so I think YA is correct genre.
4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? No, I don't want to relive my teen years. I think many YA books are fantastic and really popular, so they are worth of reading regardless how old are we, the readers.

message 22: by Libscigrl (new)

Libscigrl (animlgrl) | 39 comments This week I read Deenie by Judy Blume

I did not! It's one of the few Judy Blume books I had not read.

This should be a YA book. It is written in the voice of a 7th grade girl whose mother wants her to become a model, and she does not. She then is diagnosed with scoliosis and must come to terms with wearing her brace and being different from the other students.

4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? Maybe on a YA spree, but most certainly I do not want to relive my teen years. This book reminded me of how awkward it was to be a teen and how strong the emotions are around feeling "different" from your classmates.

message 23: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Rats Saw God

No, sadly, due to my age I no longer classify as a "young adult".

I think "young adult" is a good fit for it but I do think it's a book that most ages would enjoy (except children because it deals with older topics).

No and no. As much as I think I would've done some things differently if I had to do it again, I don't wish to go back to my teen years. I've never been happier or more comfortable in myself than I have been since I got older and as much as I dislike certain aspects of adulthood, I certainly find that the pro's outweigh the con's.

message 24: by J (last edited Feb 17, 2016 09:00PM) (new)

J Austill | 674 comments 1: What are you reading this week?

The Shepherd's Crown by Sir Terry Pratchett

I don't think that term existed in the way back years. It might have been nice to have, there were certainly books that qualified. I jumped straight from children's to adults at 11.

It is most definitely a YA book. Though, it is a late book in a series which follows the growth of a single protagonist. So probably only as YA as the last two Harry Potter books (which I haven't read).

Not really. I have been reading more books that I should have read when I was a teenager and I have been reading a lot of children's books to my daughter. I might not actually get into YA until she does.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 546 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I read Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near

Nope this book wasn't around then, It was published in 2013

I think that "young adult" is a good fit for this book. It does deal with some stuff that might not be good for younger kids to read about.

Relive my teen years? Nope! But I have found myself reading more young adult books in the last few years.

message 26: by Katerina (last edited Oct 26, 2016 05:39AM) (new)

Katerina (katejohnsson) | 56 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Cinder
2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"? no, it was published long after I could be YA
3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read? yes
4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? no, I am happy with my age.

message 27: by Alexis (last edited Mar 10, 2016 08:03AM) (new)

Alexis  (TheSlothReader) I read More Happy Than Not and it certainly is young adult because of the character's age and lifestyle, but I do think that anyone could read it and enjoy it.

message 28: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 74 comments I read The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim by E.K. Johnston. I am not what can be considered a young adult (when I was a young adult, ya books wasn't even the title...they were still called teen books) but I do enjoy quite a few YA titles every year. I go through times where I glom them like nobody's business and then I steer clear for a while to cleanse the pallet. I do that with a lot of genres, HR, PNR, Rom Suspense, etc. I would never want to relive my teen years, not that they were bad, they weren't...I just have experienced so much more happiness and sheer contentedness with my life since my upper twenties and especially now in my thirties. The only thing I want from my teen days is my teen metabolism!

message 29: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 46 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
My Kind of Crazy

No, it's due to be published in the next week or so, and it's been a long time since I was a young adult.

The "YA" classification suits this one pretty well, although there are some themes or events that require a young adult with some maturity.

I already read tons of YA fiction!

message 30: by Aline (new)

Aline (thousanduniverses) | 201 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare

No I didn't, I just read the first book of this series last month.

It's more like fantasy, but the main characters are young adults so I think it's fitting.

No I don't think so I really like my current age :D but YA is one of my favorite genres to read.

message 31: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 375 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Resist (Breathe, #2) by Sarah Crossan
Resist by Sarah Crossan

No, haha, I'm a tad older than that...

Young adult is as far as I know a term to categorise according to the main characters. New adult involves people in their early/mid-20's, no? I'm not entirely sure exactly how old all of the characters in this book are, but late teens if I recall correctly. It's a series, a duology to be specific.

I just finished it last night and it's safe to say my life has changed in no way at all for having read it, apart from appreciating oxygen just a bit more, and realising it could become a commodity in the future, available to only a select few with enough resources. We're far from such a point now, though. I've enjoyed YA before this and will keep reading them in the future, too, but only if I get them for free most of the time. It's good to exercise one's mind and recall youth, but I'm not interested enough to invest hugely of my limited budget (I have many different hobbies that all cost quite a bit).

message 32: by Lyndi (new)

Lyndi (mibookobsession) I read First Love for this week. It was new in my library's audiobook file. I've enjoyed some of the recent YA fiction that's come out and it's an easy distraction when I'm stressed and need a book that doesn't require as much concentration.
I read pretty much all genres, and although it's getting harder for me to relate to the teen issues as I get older, it was still a good read.

message 33: by Amy (last edited Apr 19, 2016 02:15AM) (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 243 comments What are you reading this week?
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare 04/19/2016

Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"?
No! I only wish I was still a young adult. It just hit me this year how much I am not a young adult anymore. lol

Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read?
I would most definitely classify it as a YA genre book. It has other elements like fantasy, dystopia, but definitely YA.

After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree?
I usually read one every few books as this genre has blown up so much in the past few years. However, no, I woudn't say I will be running out to read as many as possible, asap. Every few books or so, is good enough for me. Lightens some darker things that I love to read.

message 34: by Amanda (last edited Apr 19, 2016 07:48AM) (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 3 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I read The Infinite Sea
It wasn't around then, and when I WAS a YA, I thought I was too good for YA books...
It's definitely young adult, but that doesn't mean all ages can't enjoy it!
Does anyone want to relive their teen years? I read YA books when there is a series that everyone is talking about, I enjoy them, and they lighten up my reading list.

message 35: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
I read What-the-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy

No, I did not

I think any age could read it but several of the main characters were young teens so I suppose it fits the YA category best.

I already read a lot of YA books. I love them, especially after a binge of really heavy reading. It's nice to have something a little lighter to read.

message 36: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1099 comments What are you reading this week?

I am reading two books this week because I picked shorter books.

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror and Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1) by Chris Priestley Troll's Eye View A Book of Villainous Tales by Ellen Datlow

Nope. I found these this past year and thought they looked good.

Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read?

Without reading them, I would say yes. It's possible that my opinion might change after I finish them.

After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree?

I doubt I'll go on a spree. I tend to have a love-hate relationship with YA. I enjoy a good YA novel once in awhile, but I find it difficult to find ones that are exceptionally written, original, and not oozing with teenage love-triangle angst.

message 37: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 351 comments 1: What are you reading this week?

I am reading Wonder.

Ha, Ha...no, it wasn't written then.

I think it is a book that would appeal most to kids in the early to late teens, because it is about those years. However, I am enjoying it. I like to read books for young adults, as they have more of a reason to be written; normally to help with the issues of growing up. They also allow kids to see themselves as capable people, even heroes.

4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? I doubt it, but I shall read more, of that I am certain.

reply | flag *

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 382 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Ashen Winter

2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"? No, unfortunately this book was published way after my young adult years.

3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read? The main character is 16, so I see the YA label. It has some major life issues discussed, but nothing I would consider "adult" that a young adult couldn't handle.

4: After reading this young adult book, do you think it will make you want to relive your teen years and go on a young adult book reading spree? No I am good being done with the teen years. I have always been a fan of YA, and this book is a good one!

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Brady | 70 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

No. It's a new book.

I think it definitely could be for any age that is interested in historical fiction. I like that it's geared a little more towards young adults to give teens more to read than just vampires and zombies but it definitely would appeal to those of all ages.

No. I don't usually like young adult fiction because I have two teenagers that I'm usually trying to escape from when I'm reading. I don't need to read about he same drama that I get to listen to at the dinner table, hahaha.

message 40: by Pamela (last edited May 08, 2016 08:19PM) (new)

Pamela | 621 comments 1: What are you reading this week? Code Name Verity
2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"? It's a new book, so no. But if it's good, I will be forcing it on my teen-age nieces.
3: Do you think this book should be classified as "young adult" or should it be just a regular book for any age to read? I've only just begun, but it begins with a character being held captive by the Nazis and it is implied tortured. So maybe older young adult?
I never really read young adult when I was a young adult- it wasn't a thing in the Dark Ages of the 80s. I do read quite a bit of it now because the nieces recommend books.
And really, I'm good with the YA years behind me.

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan | 73 comments I am starting Mystery of the Maya by R.A. Montgomery.

It is part of the Choose Your Own Adventure books I read in my youth, but I don't remember having read this particular book. I got the idea to read something like this from the rejected suggestions list.

I do think it is YA or possibly younger, like middle grade, because of the simple writing and themes. But as an adult, I still appreciate the game-like structure of the book.

I don't love YA books and I don't miss my teen years, but this year, I have been reading a lot of folk tales and books written for a younger audience and have really enjoyed them.

message 42: by Celia (last edited Jun 13, 2016 09:18AM) (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 357 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

No

Wikipedia names this book as the one that started it all; the ultimate YA novel.

I love being a retired mature adult too much to go back to my teen years. However, I have read MANY YA books in the last three years and have loved all of them (the ones I finished, anyway!). I guess you could say my YA 'spree' started already!!

message 43: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 106 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Fangirl
No
The YA classification suits it perfectly.
I love reading YA books they're perfect for reading at silly o'clock when you're tired and don't want to be reading about heavy adult topics.

message 44: by Monique (new)

Monique | 66 comments What are you reading this week?
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
No, apparently I'm old.
This book suits YA
I try to mix YA books in throughout the year so I won't be going on a spree

message 45: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 278 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

No

Yes, it's a young adult book but I think any age could read it.

Not really.

message 46: by Samantha (last edited Jun 15, 2016 06:41PM) (new)

Samantha | 902 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Liars, Inc.
nope
I found it as a recommendation under mystery and think that for most books there is probably a fluidity that allows for books to have wider appeal than the category(s) they fall into.
No chance of wanting to go back and my year long plan has included YA but no spree planned.

message 47: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 152 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

Nope; this book is too new (or I am too old, however you want to put it).

Definitely "young adult". You should think teen drama wouldn't be interesting for a 30yo person to read about ("should" being the operative word here)...

I've been trying to avoid YA fiction this year, but it's not working. I would say I am in the middle of my YA book reading spree, this being the second in the series (I read the first for the "embarrassed to read in public" week).

message 48: by Anna (new)

Anna | 969 comments 1: What are you reading this week?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

That was a long time ago...

It suits YA pretty well.

I am comfortable with my age.
I enjoy young adult from time to time, but no spree foreseen.

message 49: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) 1. What are you reading this week?
Cinder
No
It suits young adult.
No thanks. I like my books with more depth to them.

message 50: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2134 comments 1: What are you reading this week?

All the Bright Places
2: Did you read this book when you were a "young adult"?No. It was published in 2015
I'm just a few chapters in and it seems to have many of the themes of young adult books, although it would be good for adults to read because of the mental health issues.
I to read YA books occasionally just because many are well-written and good stories. I was a YA librarian for 7 years and read hundreds of YA books but now that I'm retired I like to pick and choose the good ones.

All the Bright Places won the Goodreads Choice Award for Young Adult fiction so this is another reason I'm reading the book.

« previous 1