Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Maarit's Bingo Challenge 2016

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maarit (last edited Jul 18, 2016 10:48AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments B1: Written by Nobel Laureate Selma Lagerlöf: Kootut teokset II by Selma Lagerlöf (Nobel Prize in Literature 1909, first female winner in that category)
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic Osattomien planeetta (The Dispossessed) by Ursula K. Le Guin (Read 24/02/16)
B3: Classic of Africa
B4: Children's Classic Pikku Heidi : kertomus Alpeilta by Johanna Spyri (Read 10/01/2016)
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize Sotilaspoika (Johnny Got His Gun) by Dalton Trumbo (Winner of National Book Award for Fiction in 1939) (Read 08/06/2016)

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s Medeia & Ifigeneia Auliissa by Euripides (Read 18/07/2016)
I2: New-to-You Author Kauppa-Lopo; Agnes by Minna Canth (Read 29/01/2016)
I3: Classic Play Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen (Read 14/02/2016)
I4: Banned Book Hyppy ajassa (A Wrinkle in Time) by Madeleine L'Engle (Read 23/01/2016)
I5: Published in the 1700's Candide by Voltaire (orig. pub. year 1759) (Read 24/01/2016)

N1: Classic of the Americas Häivähdys purppuraa (The Color Purple) by Alice Walker (Read 18/07/2016
N2: Short Story Collection Haudantakaisia by Markku Sadelehto (Read 03/01/2016)
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry Collection Tulevaisuuden varjo by Edith Södergran (Read 25/02/2016)
N5: Classic of Europe Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (Read 09/03/2016)

G1: Published in the 1600's
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century Syvä uni (The Big Sleep) by Raymond Chandler (Read 10/02/2016)
G3: Classic Non-fiction The Art of War by Sun Tzu (Read 29/06/2016)
G4: Classic from School
G5: Published in the 1800's

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region
O2: Gothic Classic
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania Keisarinnan hovineidon päiväkirja (As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan) by Sarashina (Read 05/05/2016)
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (Read 30/3/2016)
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author

message 2: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments I think I will not reach blackout this year, but I hope to fill most of the board anyways :).

message 3: by Maarit (last edited Nov 27, 2015 09:26AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Planning list.

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate *Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak or Beloved by Toni Morrison
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic *The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham OR something else
B3: Classic of Africa *No clue
B4: Children's Classic *Heidi by Johanna Spyri OR Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize *Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s *Not sure, maybe Shakespeare?
I2: New-to-You Author *Kauppa-Lopo; Agnes by Minna Canth OR The Egyptian by Mika Waltari
I3: Classic Play *Nummisuutarit by Aleksis Kivi
I4: Banned Book *Beloved by Toni Morrison or something else
I5: Published in the 1700's *Candide by Voltaire

N1: Classic of the Americas *To be decided later
N2: Short Story Collection *To be decided later
N3: FREE SPACE *Random book
N4: Poetry Collection *No clue, something from my country maybe.
N5: Classic of Europe *To be decided later

G1: Published in the 1600's *Maybe something from Molière?
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century *The Wonderful Adventures of Nils by Selma Lagerlöf OR On the Road by Jack Kerouac
G3: Classic Non-fiction *The Art of War by Sun Tzu
G4: Classic from School *Punainen viiva by Ilmari Kianto
G5: Published in the 1800's *Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region *Puhdistus by Sofi Oksanen (Finlandia-prize) OR The Shadow of the Torturer (Tähtivaeltaja award) OR some other Finlandia winner
O2: Gothic Classic *Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania *No clue or maybe, just maybe The Makioka Sisters by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic *Possibly Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author *The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood or Beloved by Toni Morrison

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge, Maarit and happy reading.

message 5: by Maarit (last edited Jan 03, 2016 06:49AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Well, I filled up my first bingo square, N2 Short story collection. The collection included these stories (all in Finnish, but English original names and publication years were provided):

• Robert Louis Stevenson: The Body Snatcher (1884)
• Arthur Machen: The Novel of the White Powder (1895)
• J. Sheridan Le Fanu: Carmilla (1872)
• Charlotte Perkins Gilman: The Yellow Wall Paper (1899)
• Robert W. Chambers: The Yellow Sign (1895)
• E. F. Benson: The Room in the Tower (1912)
• Bram Stoker: Rottien hautajaiset (1914)
• Ambrose Bierce: The Middle Toe of the Right Foot (1891)
• William Hope Hodgson: The Voice in the Night (1907)
• H. P. Lovecraft: Arthur Jermyn / The White Ape (1924)

message 6: by Maarit (last edited Jan 23, 2016 02:25AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Moving slowly but surely here. I've filled two more squares for this challenge.

First one was B4: Children's Classic, for which I used Heidi (could've also used it on squares I2: New-to-You Author, N5: Classic of Europe and G5: Published in the 1800's).

The second one, which I filled today, is square I4: Banned Book, for which I used A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. It has been number 23 on ALA's (American Library Association) list of most challenged books in years 1990-1999 and number 90 in years 2000-2009. Most efforts to ban it have failed, though, but some have succeeded. It's been challenged for many reasons, most of which relate to religion. I could have used this book also on squares B2, B5, I2, N1 and O5 or B4, which was filled already.

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Nice reading! You have a great start.

message 8: by Maarit (last edited Feb 11, 2016 03:34AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Two more squares filled and I'm starting to get closer for my first bingo (it's going to be either a level 1 bingo or a level 2 bingo).

I filled the square I2: New to you author with Minna Canth and her book Kauppa-Lopo; Agnes.

For square G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century I used Syvä uni (The Big Sleep) by Raymond Chandler, as it was part of the 100 books list (placed 96 in the Wikipedia page).

message 9: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments I'm now very close to a level 1 bingo after filling the square I3: Classic Play with Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen. I didn't like the play that much, I thought it had too many elements in it which made the play harder to read and also the fact that Peer Gynt was an annoying person himself.

Now I only need to fill up square I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s, of which I have no ideas, so I will probably read something else and see, where do I really hit with my bingo and when.

message 10: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Maarit wrote: "Published/Written Before 1600’s, of which I have no ideas"

Here are a few translated books that I have found, some are not very long, either.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 11: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Kiitos Tytti, jospa tuolta löytyisi jotain kiinnostavaa :).

message 12: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Finished my eighth square for this challenge.

B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic, for which I used Osattomien planeetta (The Dispossessed) by Ursula K. Le Guin. I liked the book a lot, and after a few misses with her other Hainish cycle books I'm glad that I ended up reading this one, even if I slightly doubted if it would be any good of a story.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Glad you liked it. And you are so close to having Bingos now.

message 14: by Sylwia (last edited Feb 26, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments I really like The Left Hand of Darkness and A Wizard of Earthsea. Looking forward to reading The Dispossessed.

message 15: by Maarit (last edited Feb 26, 2016 02:54AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments And a quick read to fill my 9th bingo square (still no bingo, though), this time poetry.

So square N4: Poetry Collection I used Tulevaisuuden varjo by Edith Södergran. The poems were interesting, though I'm not expert on what comes to poetry, read very little of it anyway.

Edith Södergran was a Finno-Swede (her mothertongue was Swedish) poet. She had tuberculosis and she died because of that in 1923 at the age of 31. Her poems are quite interesting, some of them have the lingering death feel in them. Ediths poems have been translated into English as well, though I 'm not sure how easily they are avaiable. Anyways her poems are some kind of classics around here, so I think this collection qualifies to fill the square.

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Congrats on getting your poetry square filled, and you should get a Bingo eventually.

message 17: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Welcome to the 9 books, no bingo club...there are a few of us! :)

message 18: by Maarit (last edited Mar 09, 2016 09:36AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments And now it's 10 book no bingo after filling square N5: Classic of Europe with Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier. Already ranted about it in few other threads, so will not say that much about it in here.

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Snap! I'm in the 10 book no-bingo club, looking to move onto 11 soon!

message 20: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Maarit & Pink -- I think you win the prize for the most books without a Bingo.

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments No, I'm sure we can do much better than 10!

message 22: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments 11th book finished, still no bingo, but in many places it's very close. This time I filled square B1: Written by Nobel Laureate with a book by Selma Lagerlöf called Selma Lagerlöf: Kootut teokset II. She won Nobel Prize in Literature in the year 1909 and was the first female writer to do so.

The book I read included two short story collections and two novellas in it and they were (in order of the book, all also translated in Finnish, but linked or named here in English if avaiable):
Invisible Links (orig. Osynliga länkar, 1894)
The Queens of Kungahälla and Other Sketches From a Swedish Homestead (orig. Drottningar i kungahälla 1899, English version is not avaiable in Goodreads)
The Tale of a Manor and Other Sketches (orig. En herrgårdssägen 1899, English version not avaible in Goodreads)
The Treasure (orig. Herr Arnes penningar, 1903, also translated by the name of Herr Arne's Hoard and made in a movie in 1919 called Sir Arne's Treasure).

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Nice! You are still in the running for most books & no Bingo :(

I have Selma Lagerlöf on my list of authors to read this year -- of course though I will need an English translation. Nice to see that you enjoyed your book.

message 24: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments 12th book finished, this time in square O4: Mystery or Crime Classic. I filled this square with The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith. An ok book, nothing that much amazing, but still an entertaining enough read. I haven't seen the movie made out of it, though I think I should watch it some day.

message 25: by Maarit (last edited May 08, 2016 01:07AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments And after my 13th book finished in square O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania I'm still not any closer of getting a bingo for my board. But for the square I used the book called Keisarinnan hovineidon päiväkirja (As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan) by Sarashina.

It's a diary/memoir like work by a woman only known as Lady Sarashina written about 1000 years ago. The book was interesting, but also a bit hard to get into as it was fragmented ie. some parts have been lost over time (original work was lost at somepoint and all the remaining ones are copies of it) and also she herself had some gaps in her writing as well. But it helped that my translation had excellent preface and notes in it so that the book was a bit more easier to follow. I rated the book 3 stars or more likely 3,5 stars.

message 26: by Maarit (last edited Jun 08, 2016 08:37AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Filled square B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize as planned with Sotilaspoika (Johnny Got His Gun) by Dalton Trumbo, which was the winner of National Book Award for Fiction in 1939. And this is my 14th square filled with no bingo.

I think my next square filled will finally grant me a bingo, since I'm currently reading The Color Purple and it fits nicely into square N1: Classic of the Americas and then the N-column is completely filled (unless you need to use the free square as well?).

message 27: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Nope, you don't need to fill in the free square, so bingo is within your sights!

message 28: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Well, I got a bit sidetracked and finished The Art of War by Sun Tzu for square G3: Classic Non-fiction. It's my 15th book read and adds up one more book to my no-bingo section. But I'm close on finishing The Color Purple and it'll be the one book that grants me a bingo (it'll only take 16 books to get one bingo it seems :D).

message 29: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments After 15 books and no bingo, I finally got not one but two bingos both vertically on letters I and N. Which means I finished two more books for this challenge.

For square I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s I ended up using a book containing two of Euripides plays: Medeia & Ifigeneia Auliissa. Liked Medea a bit more than Iphigenia in Aulis, but I'm still not a huge fan of plays, so I only gave them 3 stars.

For square N1: Classic of the Americas I used Häivähdys purppuraa (The Color Purple) by Alice Walker. Liked the book, gave it 4 stars.

message 30: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Maarit wrote: "After 15 books and no bingo, I finally got not one but two bingos both vertically on letters I and N. Which means I finished two more books for this challenge.f..."

Nice!

message 31: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Maarit wrote: "After 15 books and no bingo, I finally got not one but two bingos both vertically on letters I and N. Which means I finished two more books for this challenge.

For square I1: Published/Written Bef..."

It's like buses, nothing for ages, then they all come at once!

message 32: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 889 comments Congrats on the bingo :0)

message 33: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments congrats Maarit !

message 34: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Maarit wrote: "I ended up using a book containing two of Euripides plays: Medeia & Ifigeneia Auliissa."

Are you aware of Medeia - kertomus kuudelle äänelle by Christa Wolf? Might be interesting to read after that.

message 35: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Tytti wrote: "Are you aware of Medeia - kertomus kuudelle äänelle by Christa Wolf? Might be interesting to read after that."

Thanks for letting me know, will add it on my TBR list and try to find it on library.