Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Teanka's Old and New 2016 Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teanka (last edited Jun 29, 2016 05:18AM) (new)

Teanka | 124 comments I'm very glad that this year I'll be able to participate in this challenge for the entire year, as last year I joined in the middle and read just about a half of my choices. I'm sure I'll do better this year. I'm still thinking about what books to choose for my list, so I might change something but here are my choices as of now, some of them are the ones from my 2015 list that I didn't get to read:

Books read: 6/12 (14)

Old school
1. Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Vol. 1 and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Vol. 2, by Luo Guanzhong
2. Middlemarch by George Eliot (1872)
3. The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells (1886)

New school
4. Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset (1920)
5. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (1969) finished 25/01, 4 stars
6. Blindness by José Saramago (1999)

The Wild cards
7. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
8. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen finished 31/01, 4 stars
9. Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich finished 17/01, 5 stars
10. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
11. City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer
12. In the Cities of Coin and Spice by Catherynne M. Valente

Alternates
13. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
14. Europe Central by William T. Vollmann

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 309 comments Some pretty ambitious choices you've got! Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is one of my favourite books ever, but it's not for everyone. I hope you'll enjoy it, and your other books of course!

message 3: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Nice list! I read Middlesex years ago and really liked it. This year I read 4, 7 and 10. All interesting reads but not my all time favorites. I really want to read City of Saints and Madmen.

message 4: by Teanka (last edited Nov 27, 2015 04:00AM) (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Thanks! This year there are few true classics on my list except for the Old school, of course. I have an access to excellent variety of new books in English and I want to take advantage of that. And the year after that I intend to read more of the older books . I still might change something on the list, though, as we have 1 month to go before the challenge starts!
I hope I like Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell too :)

message 5: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Teanka wrote: "Thanks! This year there are few true classics on my list except for the Old school, of course. I have an access to excellent variety of new books in English and I want to take advantage of that. An..."

I think I had too high hopes for Jonathan Strange...or maybe I thought it would be little different. I did like it but it still fell in the middle for me. I hope you do like it!

message 6: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments I like your choices. I've read both The Island of Dr. Moreau and Slaughterhouse-Five this year and liked Vonnegut a bit more than Wells, but both are interesting books. Also, I've read Jonathan Strange & Mister Norrel (don't remember a whole lot of this one) and City of Saints and Madmen by VanderMeer, of which I loved back when I read it and I think that it's better than his newest Southern Reach -series. I hope you like your choices and good luck to your challenge this year as well :).

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah There's great stuff on here! I'm very interested in Blindness (TBR, here I come!), which actually looks very familiar, and I own In the Cities of Coin and Spice. Great list!

message 8: by Teanka (last edited Nov 27, 2015 06:34AM) (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Maarit, I liked the Southern Reach a lot, which is why now I want to read VanderMeer's fantasy books. This year, I read Wells' War of the Worlds and Time Machine, and thought both were very interesting, so would like to continue next year with more. And I've never read any book by Kurt Vonnegut yet so I'm very curious, and it's going to be our group's choice for January's revisit the shelves :)

Sarah, I was sure we had Blindness scheduled together, and only now I noticed that it's in Chewing on the Leaves plans for May, and not in SpecFic. Anyway, I bought it over a year ago so it's high time to read it! Have you read In the Cities of Coin and Spice yet? I only read the first part and should continue before I forget what it was about.

Desertorum, I'm curious if Jonathan Strange... fits with what I currently think the book will be like. I'll let you know when I will have read it :)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I think I've actually read Blindness but it must have been awhile ago. I have not read Coin and Spice yet and I would love to read it.

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
It’s been awhile since I read anything by Wells, The Island of Dr. Moreau sounds like a good choice for my next Wells read. The Unbearable Lightness of Being is on my TBR as a group bookshelf catch up, not sure when I will pick it up to read. As for Slaughterhouse-Five, I thought it was very good, ‘and so it goes’. Enjoy your challenge.

message 11: by Teanka (last edited Nov 27, 2015 06:55AM) (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Sarah wrote: "I think I've actually read Blindness but it must have been awhile ago. I have not read Coin and Spice yet and I would love to read it."

That's great, maybe we can schedule it together at some point.

Thanks, Bob!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah :) :) :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I read "Middlemarch" in 2013 just before I joined GR that year. I really liked it--liked enough to read it again on the heels of my first read of it.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm hoping to get to that one this year too. Next quarter it looks like :)

message 15: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Thanks a lot! I'm sure I'll enjoy most of the books I've chosen, can't wait for January (almost, that is: first comes Christmas :)