Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Cosmic Arcata 2016 Old and New Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cosmic (last edited Oct 13, 2016 12:42AM) (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 132 comments My UNIVERSE https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
This is my first year to try this challenge. I usually read classics, but I don't pick them in advance.

I decided to make (1921)- 1922 -(1923)my theme.

For "old" I picked books that are referenced in some way to the books in the new.
Blooms father or Bloom was born on Lombard Street.
Self-Reliance for some reason i think will dovetail in with Waste Land.
And the Odyssey has reference again with Ulysses by James Joyce.
These are all books I own.

I put a couple extra books on this list at the bottom. Bambi is one of my favorite political allegories.

1899 and earlier
1.Self-Reliance and Other Essays (p117)
2.Lombard Street: A Description of the Money Market(p188) August
3.The Odyssey (p500) January 14,2016
1900-1999
4. The Waste Land (p320)
5. Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (p 144) decided not to read. Read
The 42nd Parallel
September 30
6. Ulysses (p.810) June 10
My Wild Card Six
7. We(p225) March 14
8.Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph(p784)
9. Mrs. Dalloway (p194)
10. Cane (p144)
11. The Beautiful and Damned(p422) January 14, 2016
12.Winesburg, Ohio (104p)

Alternates
A-1Public Opinion (p288)
A-1 Aaron's Rod (p352)
Decadence: And Other Essays on the Culture of Ideas
Children's book
Bambi

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland July 2016

The Wind in the Willows

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle

The Forsyth Saga 1922 April

Cytherea 1922

Babbitt 1922 April

Babel1921

Figures of Earth 1921

The Rescue

Kafka Four Stories: A Country Doctor, the Hungry Artist, the Little Woman, Report to the Academy

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan Magyar (ianmagyar) Wow, you are taking classics literally with The Odyssey. It seems like a very interesting reading list. I admit that I have read only The Hobbit, so I will look out for your reviews and readings. Good luck with your challenge, it's my first year, too and don't forget, it's never too late to start with anything.

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I’ve been thinking of adding Winesburg, Ohio to my list for years, I’ll be interested in anything you have to say about it when you are finished. I’ve read Gone with the Wind, 1984, The Call of the Wild, and The Hobbit, all good reads. Since this is your first time with this challenge I hope you have fun and enjoy it.

message 4: by Cosmic (last edited Nov 27, 2015 05:02PM) (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 132 comments Thank you. I am wondering if it isn't a bit too optimistic.

I am thinking of writing a second list out with shorter works ...five hours or less, but still classics.

The Odyssey will remain and so will Ulysses. I had already planed those.

One thing i didn't realize was we could have nonfiction.

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
It's your challenge, Odyssey and Ulysses scare me stiff, but don't let Gone With the Wind at a 1000 pages worry you, it reads smoothly.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9433 comments Mod
Cosmic -- great list. What a fun mix. I've been wanting to read We for ages it seems. Hope it is good.

message 7: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Another one wanting to read the Book of Five Rings!
Ever since I put it on my Bingo possibilites it kind of spread around :) ...
I only had the idea, because I've started learning Kendo.

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I had The Odyssey and Ulysses both on my 2015 challenge...still haven't read either yet, but that won't stop me from planning them both again for 2016!

Good luck with all of your choices :)

message 9: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Winnie-the-Pooh <3

message 10: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 132 comments Phil wrote: "Another one wanting to read the Book of Five Rings!
Ever since I put it on my Bingo possibilites it kind of spread around :) ...
I only had the idea, because I've started learning Kendo."

I have had it in my audible library for a few years. I got excited to see it on your list and thought it worthy a second or i dont know how many times i may have started it. When i start it i will be sure to give you a shout out.

message 11: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 132 comments Pink wrote: "I had The Odyssey and Ulysses both on my 2015 challenge...still haven't read either yet, but that won't stop me from planning them both again for 2016!

Good luck with all of your choices :)"

I tried to read it last year and even re-read a good portion of it. Definitely not an easy read. He shows up a lot of things that i just do not get the reference to. I think his style of writing influence J. D. Salinger and that makes me keep on trying to get through this.

I am glad there is a group for us!

message 12: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 132 comments I finished to books today:

The Beautiful and Damned
Was very impressed with how he painted the disease of alcoholism very accurately.

The Odyssey. By the end I didn't really respect anyone in this book...

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Well done on finishing those 2 books. I really liked The Beautiful and Damned, I thought he captured the unpleasantness of their relationship with alcohol and money.

I like your comment on the Odyssey, not respecting anyone, I can see why this would be.

message 14: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 132 comments Pink wrote: "Well done on finishing those 2 books. I really liked The Beautiful and Damned, I thought he captured the unpleasantness of their relationship with alcohol and money.

I like your comment on the Od..."

Thank you for the comment. I am enjoying reading and marking off my booklist but it is always fun to have someone notice!