Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Emily's Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Sep 02, 2016 09:37PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments B1: Written by Nobel Laureate The Good Earth ***
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic Stardust (2/16/2016) *****
B3: Classic of Africa The Stranger (01/30/2016) ****
B4: Children's Classic The Hobbit (01/06/2016) *****
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize Atonement **** (01/29/2016)

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s
I2: New-to-You Author The Metamorphosis **** (04/5/2016)
I3: Classic Play The Power of Darkness *** (02/26/2016)
I4: Banned Book The Satanic Verses
I5: Published in the 1700's The Monk

N1: Classic of the Americas All the Pretty Horses
N2: Short Story Collection
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry Collection Ariel (02/12/2016) **
N5: Classic of Europe Persuasion (02/10/2016) ***

G1: Published in the 1600's
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century The Master and Margarita
G3: Classic Non-fiction The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 (1/24/2016) ****
G4: Classic from School Brave New World
G5: Published in the 1800's

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region Slaughterhouse-Five (01/12/2016) ****
O2: Gothic Classic The Picture of Dorian Gray
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania Siddharta *
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic The Name of the Rose (08/10/2016) ****
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author Year of Wonders (01/08/2016) ****

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Welcome to the Bingo Challenge, Emily. Glad to have you with us. Enjoy the reading.

message 3: by Susie (last edited Nov 27, 2015 09:47AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments You have listed several books I've never heard of, so new books to discover...yay!

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Susie wrote: "You have listed several books I've never heard of, so new books to discover...yay!"

Awesome! Hopefully you found a few to put on your "to-read" list!

message 5: by Emily (last edited Jan 24, 2016 07:54PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments Children's Classic (The Hobbit), Regional Classic (Slaughterhouse-Five), and Prize Winning Female Author (Year of Wonders) squares have already been filled. This evening I can add the Nonfiction square to that list. The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 was especially interesting for me as this war resulted in my grandfather's parents immigrating to the United States, and it's a conflict that I had not known much about. I only wished that I hadn't read it on my Kindle as I wasn't able to access the list and description of important players, photos, or footnotes easily.

Now with what may be the most "difficult" book in this challenge behind me, I'm on to Atonement for the B5 square.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Nice work so far. I've been meaning to read Atonement for some time, but just haven't gotten to it.

I too sometimes am frustrated with reading on Kindle because flipping back and forth is so hard for me on it.

message 7: by Emily (last edited Jan 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments Kathy wrote: "Nice work so far. I've been meaning to read Atonement for some time, but just haven't gotten to it.

I too sometimes am frustrated with reading on Kindle because flipping back and fort..."

I'm on page 52 of Atonement, and so far it's great, the plot hasn't developed too much so far, but the language is beautiful. I'm hoping to finish it by tomorrow or the day after. I'll be sure to post my thoughts!

I don't think I'll be reading anything nonfiction on my Kindle again soon, not being able to flip back and fourth on such a complicated subject is definitely a nuisance.

message 8: by Emily (last edited Jan 30, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments B5 square filled with my completion of Atonement. I know that both this and Year of Wonders are not technically classics yet, but considering the acclaim for both, I think it's safe to say that they will be.

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Yes, I think you are probably correct in that. To be classic.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments I'm now at nine books and still no bingo. Maybe it's time to actually employ some kind of strategy to this challenge.

message 11: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Emily wrote: "I'm now at nine books and still no bingo. Maybe it's time to actually employ some kind of strategy to this challenge."

Similar for me!

message 12: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4564 comments Mod
Certainly agree with your assessment of Atonement--great read.
I'm with you and Pink on the reading all around it strategy. It would seem I am trying NOT to bingo. Of course, at some point we will all be bingoing every day.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Sara wrote: "I'm with you and Pink on the reading all around it strategy. It would seem I am trying NOT to bingo. Of course, at some point we will ..."

It's almost as if we get a false sense of unaccomplishment, even though reading so many books in less than two months is nothing to laugh at. I agree, the overaccomplishment phase will come soon!

message 14: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments Are you a fan of Neil Gaiman?

message 15: by Emily (last edited Feb 23, 2016 03:55PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments Sylwia wrote: "Are you a fan of Neil Gaiman?"

I've only read Stardust and Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders, but I'm really liking his work so far. Do you have any favorites Sylwia?

message 16: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments Coraline, American Gods, Neverwhere, and The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes. The last is a series of graphic novels, which are my favorite.

message 17: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Sylwia wrote: "Coraline, American Gods, Neverwhere, and The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes. The last is a series of graphic novels, which are my favorite."

I've been itching to read Coraline for a while now. So curious about it for some reason. The author seems have written quite a few well-liked books

message 18: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Btw, nice list Emily! I've got a few of these titles on my TBR list.

Hope you get your first bingo soon! I'm sure all this waiting and reading will be worth it :)

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I love your list Emily. I just come back to drool on it every now and then. ;)

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Sylwia wrote: "Coraline, American Gods, Neverwhere, and The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes. The last is a series of graphic novels, which are my favorite."

I have American Gods on hold at my library, it's been a while so it MUST be good! I'm kind of ashamed that it's taken me so long to read Neil Gaiman, his books seem right up my alley.

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Nargus wrote: "Btw, nice list Emily! I've got a few of these titles on my TBR list.

Hope you get your first bingo soon! I'm sure all this waiting and reading will be worth it :)"

Thanks Nargus and Kathy! I do try to stick with the good ones. ;)
My copy of Moby-Dick; or, The Whale has been purchased and I'm excited to finally knock that one of my tbr list!

message 22: by Nargus (last edited Feb 26, 2016 12:48AM) (new)

Nargus | 567 comments I can feel your excitement!
Can't wait to read Moby Dick too :)

And hey, didn't Mark Twain say - the person who reads just any book doesn't have advantage over the person who doesn't, but the person who reads good books does ;) (funnily enough, I came upon this quote on a website that reviewed practically any kind of book known to man ... )

EDIT: And I've found the actual quote:

Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't

Oh well, my paraphrasing's just an extension/interpretation of it :)

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Another one down, still no bingo. I filled my "classic play" square with The Power of Darkness by Leo Tolstoy in 1886. It's a very dark and disturbing play that Tolstoy based off of a real incident, and it was banned in Russia until 1902 (although that didn't stop it from being spread). Tolstoy definitely achieves the effect he's going for. I gave it three stars.

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Nargus wrote: "I can feel your excitement!
Can't wait to read Moby Dick too :)

And hey, didn't Mark Twain say - the person who reads just any book doesn't have advantage over the person who doesn't, but the per..."

That's a great quote!

message 25: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Congrats, Emily. I wasn't aware that Tolstoy had written any plays.

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Pink, you have another club member! Eleven books with no bingo, I think I'm going to have to put The Idiot into the 1800s slot, so I'll be at twelve books and bingo free soon enough!

message 27: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Emily wrote: "Pink, you have another club member! Eleven books with no bingo, I think I'm going to have to put The Idiot into the 1800s slot, so I'll be at twelve books and bingo free soon enough!"

LOL -- strategy for NonBingo.

message 28: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Emily, haha I love how we have made a new challenge just for being losers! I think once I finish The Martian chronicles for my short story square, I'll be at 13 and no bingo! I don't think I could have done so well at avoiding bingo if I'd actually been trying!

message 29: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

You and I will be tied, 13 and no bingo for me too.