Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2016 Plans > Emily's Plan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emily (last edited Dec 09, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments 0/52 Currently Reading:

44/52 Completed:

1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't (Jan 1-7) The Crime of Living Cautiously: Hearing God's Call to Adventure Completed: 1/14
2. A book set in a different continent (Jan 8-14) Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945 Completed: 1/13
3. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015 (winner or nominated) (Jan 15-21) Career of Evil Completed: 11/23
4. A book by an author you discovered in 2015 (Jan 22-28) The Secret Chord Completed: 6/14
5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name (Jan 29-Feb 4) Emily: The Diary of a Hard-Worked Woman Completed: 6/29
7. A book about books (Feb 12-18) The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary Completed: 6/19
8. A classic book with less than 200 pages (Feb 19-25) A Christmas Carol Completed: 12/9
9. A book that was mentioned in another book (Feb 26-March 3) Dubliners Completed: 6/26
10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now (March 4-10) The Irrational Season Completed: 1/19
11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge (March 11-17) The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay Completed: 2/4
12. A childhood classic (March 18-24) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Completed: 10/28
13. Reader’s Choice (March 25-31) Lazy B: Growing Up on a Cattle Ranch in the American Southwest Completed: 3/2
14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title (Who/What/Where/When/Why/How) (April 1-7) When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present Completed: 8/22
15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago) (April 8-14) The Invention of Wings Completed: 3/13
16. A book from the top 100 mystery novels (April 15-21) The Complete Sherlock Holmes Completed: 5/12
17. A book with a beautiful cover (April 22-28) Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas Completed: 1/7
18. A book on a summer/beach reading list (April 29-May 5) Beautiful Ruins Completed: 2/12
19. A non-fiction book (May 6-12) Living Your Strengths: Discover Your God-given Talents and Inspire Your Community, Expanded and Updated Completed: 2/13
20. A book with a first name in the title (May 13-19) Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942 Completed: 1/6
22. The first book in a new to you series (May 27-June 2) Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s Completed: 2/8
23. The next book in a series you are reading (June 3-9) Death by the Book Completed: 4/27
24. A "between the numbers" book of a series (0.5, 1,5, 2.5, etc.) (June 10-16) The Three Monarchs Completed: 5/17
25. A book whose main character is in a profession that interests you (June 17-23) All the President's Men Completed: 4/9
26. A book everyone is talking about (June 24-30) The Martian Completed: 3/28
27. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion) (July 1-7)
Through Painted Deserts: Light, God, and Beauty on the Open Road Completed: 1/25
28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir (July 8-14)
The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C.S. Lewis Completed: 2/22
29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name (July 15-21) The Scottish Play Murder Completed: 3/15
31. A work of young adult fiction (July 29-Aug 4) Grasshopper Jungle Completed: 7/7
32. A historical fiction book (Aug 5-11) Brooklyn Completed: 4/12
35. An award-winning book (Aug 26-Sept 1) Personal History Completed: 1/22
37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read (Sept 9-15) Philomena: A Mother, Her Son, and a Fifty-Year Search Completed: 3/10
38. A book about an anti-hero (Sept 16-22) The Stranger Completed: 3/21
39. A previous suggestion that did not make it into the list (A book with 'diary' in the title) (Sept 23-29) The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy Completed: 4/2
40. A novella from your favorite genre (Sept 30-Oct 6) Mothering Sunday Completed: 10/17
41. A book about a major world event (fiction or non-fiction) (Oct 7-13) Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad Completed: 7/12
43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night (Oct 21-27) The Girl with All the Gifts Completed: 7/16
44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public (Oct 28-Nov 3) Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm Completed: 1/5
45. A book related to a hobby or passion you have (Nov 4-10) On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft Completed: 3/25
46. A crime story (Nov 11-17) The Cuckoo's Calling Completed: 4/20
47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title (Nov 18-24) Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter Completed: 4/1
49. A book with a great opening line (Dec 2-8) Flight Behavior Completed: 7/24
50. A book originally written in a language other than English (Dec 9-15) The Library of Unrequited Love Completed: 2/26
51. A short story from a well-known author (Dec 16-22) The Grownup Completed: 8/8
52. A book published in 2016 (Dec 23-31) Christ Beside Me, Christ Within Me: Celtic Blessings Completed: 6/1

The Crime of Living Cautiously Hearing God's Call to Adventure by Luci Shaw Henrietta Sees It Through More News from the Home Front 1942-1945 (The Bloomsbury Group) by Joyce Dennys Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert Galbraith The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks Emily The Diary of a Hard-Worked Woman by Emily French A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens The Professor and the Madman A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester Dubliners by James Joyce The Irrational Season (Crosswicks Journals, #3) by Madeleine L'Engle The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis Lazy B Growing Up on a Cattle Ranch in the American Southwest by Sandra Day O'Connor When Everything Changed The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present by Gail Collins The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle Watch for the Light Readings for Advent and Christmas by Thomas Aquinas Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter Living Your Strengths Discover Your God-given Talents and Inspire Your Community, Expanded and Updated by Donald O. Clifton Henrietta's War News from the Home Front 1939-1942 by Joyce Dennys Call the Midwife A True Story of the East End in the 1950s by Jennifer Worth Death by the Book (Drew Farthering Mystery #2) by Julianna Deering The Three Monarchs (Sherlock Holmes #1.5) by Anthony Horowitz All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein The Martian by Andy Weir Through Painted Deserts Light, God, and Beauty on the Open Road by Donald Miller The Narnian The Life and Imagination of C.S. Lewis by Alan Jacobs The Scottish Play Murder by Anne Rutherford Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín Personal History by Katharine Graham Philomena A Mother, Her Son, and a Fifty-Year Search by Martin Sixsmith The Stranger by Albert Camus The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy by Maya Slater Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift Symphony for the City of the Dead Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad by M.T. Anderson The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm by Jack Canfield On Writing A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith Bread and Wine Readings for Lent and Easter by Unlisted Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver The Library of Unrequited Love by Sophie Divry The Grownup by Gillian Flynn Christ Beside Me, Christ Within Me Celtic Blessings by Beth Richardson

8/52 To Be Completed:

6. The highest rated on your TBR (Feb 5-11) The Gorgeous Nothings: Emily Dickinson's Envelope Poems Completed:
21. A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page (May 20-26) Eden's Outcasts: The Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Father Completed:
30. A fairytale from a culture other than your own (July 22-28) ??? Completed:
33. The 16th book on your TBR (Aug 12-18) Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture Completed:
34. A book about mental illness (Aug 19-25) The Virgin Suicides Completed:
36. An identity book - a book about a different culture, religion or sexual orientation (Sept 2-8) The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian Completed:
42. A top 100 fantasy novel (Oct 14-20) The Silmarillion (I'll dream big : p) Completed:
48. A dystopia (Nov 25-Dec 1) The Handmaid's Tale Completed:

The Gorgeous Nothings Emily Dickinson's Envelope Poems by Emily Dickinson Eden's Outcasts The Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Father by John Matteson Introverts in the Church Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture by Adam S. McHugh The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Well, even though I swore I wasn't picking books in advance, I did it anyway. Le sigh. Overly ambitious much?

message 3: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Welcome :)
Planning the books is one of the best parts of the challenge! Of course, you can change them later, so no worry if you prefer to pick another book!

The Silmarillion has a big bad reputation, it will be interesting to see your opinion (I read many times The Hobbit & LotR but not this one).
I read The Adventures of Sherlock this year, several stories were interesting, others less. I'm not a huge fan of the series but quite enjoyed this book. I'll read the next in the series for the top 100.

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1082 comments I agree with Zaz, planning is one of greatest parts of the challenge. Now, I'm struggling not to start reading my 2016 list now. I feel like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas morning :) *anxiously sits on hands*

You have a wonderful list that looks like it's going to keep you entertained all year.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Manda wrote: "I agree with Zaz, planning is one of greatest parts of the challenge. Now, I'm struggling not to start reading my 2016 list now. I feel like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas morning :) *anxiously..."

I feel the exact same way Manda! Every book I feel like reading is one that I have put in this challenge! I don't know what I'm going to read in December!!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Zaz wrote: "Welcome :)
Planning the books is one of the best parts of the challenge! Of course, you can change them later, so no worry if you prefer to pick another book!

The Silmarillion has a big bad reputa..."

I have heard The Silmarillion is hard to get through, so I'm interested to see if I pull it off. I have read Holmes stories here and there, but I would like to read all of them sometime. I figured I'd start with one book.

message 7: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I read The Handmaid's Tale this year and absolutely loved it. I hope you like it. I'm also going to be reading my first Sherlock Holmes book next year with A Study in Scarlet and I'm really looking forward to it. I want to read Quiet too but haven't managed to fit it into my challenge. Maybe as a side read or the year after.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I made the mistake of going to the Half Price Books Outlet today. Now I have 5 new books I want to get into this challenge. So I'm rearranging for the 10th time. : p

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Haha! I know that for Christmas, my Mum is buying me some books so after I receive those I know I'm going to end up having to rearrange my plan again to make those fit.

message 12: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads | 174 comments #7 sounds interesting...how can one love books too much? :)
I am doing the Popsugar challenge in addition to this one, but ATY is my main group and challenge that I'll be working on.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I finished week 17 with Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas. It has a lovely cover of a winter twilight with snow and dark trees.

message 14: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (visionsofjohanna) | 9 comments Very interesting plan Emily! I added a couple of them to my to-be-read list.

message 15: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1305 comments Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking author was just interviewed on a radio program I listen too. I can not wait to hear what you think of the book, and I have just added it to my TBR.

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I finished Week 2 with Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945. It's set in Europe (England).

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished week 1 with The Crime of Living Cautiously: Hearing God's Call to Adventure. I got it out of my work library in November and put it on my nightstand, where it's been mocking me ever since. So I put it in week 1 to get it done!

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished Week 10 with The Irrational Season by Madeleine L'Engle. It seems like everyone has read A Wrinkle in Time, but I never did. But I chose to read one of her Crosswicks journals because it was the Red Couch discussion group's book of the month.

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished Week 35 with Personal History. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Biography in 1998.

message 21: by Emily (new)

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Completed Week 50 with The Library of Unrequited Love.

message 25: by Emily (last edited Mar 03, 2016 07:34AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I read Lazy B: Growing Up on a Cattle Ranch in the American Southwest and it was the first book of the year that didn't count for another prompt, so I decided to stick it in Reader's Choice (Week 13).

I guess all the other books I read this year that don't fit a prompt are just out of luck.

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I completed Week 15 with The Invention of Wings.

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I finished Week 29 with The Scottish Play Murder.

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I finished Week 38 with The Stranger.

message 30: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I finished week 26 with The Martian and week 45 with On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

message 31: by J (new)

J Austill | 673 comments Ooh, 5 stars for On Writing, I'm definitely looking forward to that one (since reading his explanations of writing in the forwards to the updated versions of The Stand and The Gunslinger. )

message 32: by Emily (new)

message 33: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments J wrote: "Ooh, 5 stars for On Writing, I'm definitely looking forward to that one (since reading his explanations of writing in the forwards to the updated versions of The Stand and The Gunslinger. )"

Yeah, I had never read any other King, but I put myself on hold for 11/23/63 at the library because I like On Writing so much. I'm not big on horror, but I'll see how I like horror-with-a-historical-slant.

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished All the President's Men for week 25.

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Completed Week 32 with Brooklyn!

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished The Cuckoo's Calling for Week 46 AND Book of the Month!

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I finished The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes this morning, which means I've completed Week 16! Yea! It's been 3 weeks since I completed a ATY book!

message 38: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Great job, Emily! Loved the Martian, and currently reading King - 11/22/63.

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished Week 24 with The Three Monarchs! I thought this would be my Wild Card week so I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading a series that had a book #1.5.

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Just realized that I finished Week 23 back on April 27th with Death by the Book! Only 20 prompts left!

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished Week 4 with The Secret Chord.

message 44: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished Week 9 with Dubliners.

message 45: by Emily (new)

message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished Week 31 with Grasshopper Jungle.

message 47: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished Week 41 with Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad. Briefly discusses the Russian Revolution & WWI, but focuses on WWII, specifically the 850-day siege of Leningrad by the Germans.

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished Week 43 with The Girl with All the Gifts. I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would!

message 49: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Finished Flight Behavior for Week 49.

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Completed Week 51 with The Grownup.

« previous 1