The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > just joined & hope to fully participate asap

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Jul 17, 2009 03:05PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi Everyone, I just joined, which is evidence that I'm insane given that I can barely keep up with the groups I'm already in, or keep up with actual reading.

I'll barely be a lurker for a while because I suspect it will take me weeks just to catch up with the current threads. Oh, I wish I'd joined earlier.

Right now I'm hopefully finishing up Jitterbug Perfume for my real world book club meeting this Sunday. I'm trying to decide whether I love it and think it's brilliant or whether I have less positive things to say, but it's taking me forever to read it.

I'm looking forward to getting to some of my other currently reading, on-deck, and other books.

I finally joined because of all the spammer talk going on the in Goodreads Feedback group, and Lori sounded like a terrific moderator.

I hope to participate fully here when I have some time to do so.

Edit:

Any long time or otherwise active members have any suggestions about which threads would be most helpful to read? I can probably figure it out but there's just so much here already! Thanks.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 176 comments Hi Lisa - happy Texas wave from my front porch! You are a brilliant girl and you will be a rising star that is a great contribution to this site - very soon -
I am just delighted daily with the massive abundant fun directions going on here. Welcome!
Sharon

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) What are you Reading is a great thread to start with Lisa. It's long, but you can get some great ideas there. The splurge thread is also pretty popular.

When you look at TNBBC's main page, which is:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

They are the first 2 threads you come to. I would show the links here, but then I'd have to read all the posts I'm behind on right now, and I don't have time to at the moment.

Anyway, good luck!

message 4: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 17, 2009 03:44PM) (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Hey Lisa, Welcome! Tom Robbins is the best!!!
The threads are all really good, I like the ones that deal with 'no spoiler' discussions of books and I love getting updates from friends on everything they are up to in the reading arena!
Right now we are reading 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' for our July book (it is awesome!). So, you might want to grab that, if you haven't already read it!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks Everybody.

As far as reading this group's books, I suspect I won't join in until September or October, but I will try to aim for August.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Well said, Fiona!

message 7: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments Hey Lisa, welcome.

I just put Jitterbug Perfume on my TBR list ;)

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Hi Lisa, I have to apologise for the big blowout in Goodreads Feedback, I dont usually misbehave in other peoples groups, honest! I am just very passionate about protecting my members best interests, and people like Robin are certainly not here for that purpose.

Plus, Im ashamed to say it was the first time I have ever had a topic closed on me before :)

Welcome to the group. You will love it here, I promise you!! And Im very excited that you are excited to jump right in :)

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Jul 17, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lori, Fiona, Everybody,

Thanks for the welcome and the tips.

Lori, I don't think the thread was closed because of you; it was just ripe for all sorts of escalating participation. I'm ashamed to say I kind of enjoyed it. I'd posted 4 helpful posts not to be helpful so much to Robin, who obviously came in to provoke, but the Feedback group has all sorts of newbies who wouldn't have know about those links, and I figured someone would get some help from it.

Thanks. I'm excited to be here, although, as I've said, I might not participate much for a couple of months.

This weekend, I'll try to wade my way through the suggested and other threads here. Once I get my bearings, I'll dive in and post messages. Edit: and read the group books.

message 10: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 17, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Fiona wrote: "Oh and also about group books - not everyone reads them but sometimes a group of people get together, realise they want to read the same book and form their own little 'reading circle' for that boo..."

Oh, sorry, this is my first book club 'event' but I thought Lori took a vote and then told us the resulting 2 books from that tally... sorry, didn't mean to be bossy, I thought it was a club thing!!!

message 11: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (petra-x) Hi there Lisa. That was fun on the Feedback Group, wasn't it? Sadly Otis, who was also amused, closed it :-(

message 12: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Suzanne, you are ok... I do take a vote after the group makes their nominations, and then you can choose to read one, both, or none.... Its all based on your taste and time and interest....

I think it's great to give everyone choices :)

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Me too!