Around the World discussion

Best-Worst of the Years > Best of 2015

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1297 comments Mod
From now until January, let's discuss our favorite around the world reads from 2015 (does not need to be published in 2015, obviously!)

message 2: by Andrea (last edited Dec 25, 2015 02:23PM) (new)

Andrea | 821 comments Mod
Great idea Jenny! I've been lucky enough to have had quite a few 4★ reads in my challenge this year, and two so far that I've rated 5★. They were A Man Called Ove (Sweden) from quite early in 2015, and A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story (um, Afghanistan), which I finished just last night.

EDIT: and I'm adding Half of a Yellow Sun (Nigeria)

message 3: by Val (new)

Val I don't think I would recommend any of the ones I read this year for the tour, but the Booker prize list was good this year.
Here are some not from UK or US:
A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James from Jamaica
The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma from Nigeria
Sleeping on Jupiter by Anuradha Roy from India
The Green Road by Anne Enright from Ireland
The Moor's Account by Laila Lalami from Morocco
The Chimes by Anna Smaill from New Zealand
(although the last two are not set there).

message 6: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 1874 comments Mod
Great ones Pauline. The Girl on the Train and Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free were pretty good reads for me at 4 stars. I read Beneath a Marble Sky a few years ago and it was a 5-star for me as well. Amazing that it was John Shors first book. Have you read Temple of a Thousand Faces by him?

message 7: by Pauline (new)

Pauline  | 14 comments No Lilisa, I haven't read Temple of a Thousand Faces yet. Maybe I will give it a go this year. Thanks for the suggestion.