Around the World discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2012-2020 Discussions > Planning for 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1305 comments Mod
Do you have any around the world reading goals for 2016? Do share!

I am going to really focus on Africa in 2016. I've been working on a list of the countries I have left and potential books for each of them. I'd like to tackle more of Canada too but that might be too ambitious with the other books I'll want to read.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 861 comments Mod
I'm also planning to take a more narrow focus in 2016, mainly to balance out my big reading regret of this year. By that I mean that I spent a month in the Himalayas, wading through a book about Egypt of all places! So the list of books I had, that I'd planned to read on my trip, will become the kernel of my 2016 Indian sub-continent challenge. I'll save the titles for later.

PS I don't mean to suggest I didn't enjoy the Egypt book - I did.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I am going to really focus on Africa in 2016. I've been working on a list of the countries I have left and potential books for each of them. I'd like to tackle more of Canada too but that might be ..."

Jenny, that's a seriously impressive list! I'm going to try to track down the Patricia Highsmith novel ASAP - sounds good.

Andrea wrote: "I'm also planning to take a more narrow focus in 2016, mainly to balance out my big reading regret of this year. By that I mean that I spent a month in the Himalayas, wading through a book about Eg..."

Sometimes you end up staying longer in a place than you planned. ;)

message 6: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 1949 comments Mod
Can't believe it's close to the end of 2015 - thanks Jenny for starting this thread! I didn't stick to my list very much for 2015, so I'm going to wander around the world in 2016 in a not-too-organized fashion again, although I do have a ton of books I want to get to. I'll have to start rounding them up.

message 7: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 167 comments I'm planning to do the South China Sea. Still finishing my Nth American challenge though!

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Yrinsyde wrote: "I'm planning to do the South China Sea. Still finishing my Nth American challenge though!"

That sounds interesting - looking forward to checking out your selections.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

I've got a bit of a long-list for my Indian sub-continent year of reading. A few are already locked in because of other challenges, but if there's something that causes a sharp intake of breath - either good or bad - please let me know. Ideally I'd like to pare it back to 20-25 titles.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Andrea wrote: "I've got a bit of a long-list for my Indian sub-continent year of reading. A few are already locked in because of other challenges, but if there's something that causes a sharp intake of breath - e..."

I've heard glowing things about Shantaram and anything by Ghosh! If we aren't friends I'm gonna friend you because I bet you'll learn a lot.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I've heard glowing things about Shantaram and anything by Ghosh! If we aren't friends I'm gonna friend you because I bet you'll learn a lot. ..."

Thanks Jenny, and thanks for the recommendation of Narcopolis. Now the numbers are going up instead of down!

message 12: by Lilisa (new)

Hi Andrea - sounds like you're going to have fun in India. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... - my India shelf in case you're interested in checking it out.

message 13: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanya_) | 229 comments I've had rather desultory participation in this group over the last couple of years. My intention is to jump back in next year with a little more focus and work through some of the books I’ve collected, and countries I’ve skipped along the way. I’m particularly keen to read more from Africa and the Middle East, and also tackle some of the literary giants of these regions like Naguib Mahfouz, Achebe, Chinua, Wole Soyinka and Pamuk Orhan that I haven’t quite got to yet.

My list of potential reads from these regions that I already own is at a rather alarming count so there's no way I'll get to them all, but will try to make a substantial dent.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list....

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Tanya wrote: "I've had rather desultory participation in this group over the last couple of years. My intention is to jump back in next year with a little more focus and work through some of the books I’ve colle..."

Oh Tanya - lots of goodness there! Your list includes one of my favourite books, The Map of Love, one other that I've actually read (Beirut Blues) and a few that are already on my TBR. I'm coming back over the holidays to have a good look.

message 15: by Lilisa (new)

Tanya wrote: "I've had rather desultory participation in this group over the last couple of years. My intention is to jump back in next year with a little more focus and work through some of the books I’ve colle..."

What a great list Tanya - I've read a three, a few are on my list and I'm going to have to steal some too! I'm going to have to organize my list so I get to many that I have or have been on my list for a long time.

message 16: by An (new)

An | 122 comments My 2015 challenge was so much fun that I got carried away and read way more about 1 country than I had planned originally (being 3 books for each country I selected). So I'll just jump back in next year and finish the countries I haven't been able to tackle yet.

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Lilisa wrote: "Hi Andrea - sounds like you're going to have fun in India. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... - my India shelf in case you're interested in checking it out."

Thanks Lilisa. I've used your list to help me make some culling decisions today, and have managed to get mine down to 25 titles. A good mix of chunky/slender, fiction/non and also I think reasonable coverage (both geography and author).

message 18: by Lilisa (new)

Have fun Andrea!

message 19: by Val (last edited Dec 22, 2015 10:45AM) (new)

Val I don't have a definite plan for 2016, but if I come across books written by someone born in Madagascar, Honduras, PNG, Togo, Moldova or a few other places, I will replace the ones that just use them as a setting. (They should be at least partly set there too, if anyone has recommendations. Claude Simon, for example, doesn't set his books there.)
I also intend to read a few more books from southeast Asia.

message 20: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (conservio) | 45 comments My plan for 2016 is themes for each month. I've been wanting to expand my knowledge about certain cultures, so I'll be basing the theme of each month heavily on them.

I'm not sure the exact themes yet, but I know I want to read more about Southeast Asia and Eastern Europe.

Each month I plan to read: one non-fiction science book (I probably won't be able to always tie it in with a certain culture, but I'll try). One biography (with a focus on women). One non fiction dealing with either a historical event/history/culture. Then I'll read supporting books to go with it and using the internet to substantiate my knowledge.

message 21: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 167 comments Hi all

I haven't got books selected for my South China Sea trip, and I might not be able to find books for all countries|regions. The countries I'll be reading in are: China, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Malaysia, Sumatra, Strait of Malacca, Bangka Island, Belitung Island and Borneo.

For Cambodia, I'll probably read Inspector Singh investigates. 4 : a deadly Cambodian crime spree.

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Yrinsyde wrote: "Hi all I haven't got books selected for my South China Sea trip, and I might not be able to find books for all countries|regions. The countries I'll be reading in are: China, Thailand, Vietnam, Ca..."

If you're looking for something for the Philippines, Dogeaters was one of my most memorable reads this year. Readers tend to love it or hate it - I thought it was stunning!

message 23: by Lilisa (last edited Dec 26, 2015 04:58AM) (new)

Andrea wrote: "Yrinsyde wrote: "Hi all I haven't got books selected for my South China Sea trip, and I might not be able to find books for all countries|regions. The countries I'll be reading in are: China, Thail..."

Yrinsyde - For Cambodia - In the Shadow of the Banyan, Never Fall Down, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures and Temple of a Thousand Faces.

For Malaysia - The Harmony Silk Factory, The Rice Mother, The Gift of Rain, which I haven't read yet but hear it's really good

For Borneo I enjoyed the Borneo trilogy - Land Below the Wind, White Man Returns and Three Came Home.

Vietnam - The Sympathizer., Ru - which I haven't read yet. ( Andrea - I've added Dogeaters)

Interested in seeing what books you read for Strait of Malacca and the two islands.

message 24: by Yrinsyde (last edited Dec 26, 2015 06:54PM) (new)

Yrinsyde | 167 comments Lilisa wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Yrinsyde wrote: "Hi all I haven't got books selected for my South China Sea trip, ."

Many thanks for your suggestions Andrea and Lillisa! I'll be checking my local library for those.

message 25: by Josie (new)

Josie (j4shaw) I read In The Shadow of the Banyan last year and thought it was excellent. It's part autobiography.

message 26: by Josie (new)

Josie (j4shaw) Hi all
I just wanted to highlight the 666 reading challenge that is running for 2016.
The aim being to read 6 books which are set in OR are written by an author from 6 different countries in each of the 6 continents within the 12 month period of the 1st day of 2016 and the last.

This challenge is hosted through BookCrossing, which is free to join, and can be found here:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/6/5...

If you're on Twitter the hashtag is #666for2016

I hope some of you will sign up and join us in 2016 ;)

message 27: by Val (last edited Dec 27, 2015 03:21AM) (new)

Val For Indonesia you could try Pramoedya Ananta Toer, the best known Indonesian author, or Hella S. Haasse, who was born there.

I have read books by two authors from Philippines José Y. Dalisay Jr. and Miguel Syjuco and remember both were good, although it was a few years ago now.
There is also The Breath of Night , which is set in Philippines but by a British writer.

I will second Lilisa's suggestion of Tan Twan Eng for Malaysia, but I preferred The Garden of Evening Mists to The Gift of Rain.

message 28: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 167 comments Thanks Val - will add those to my list to check out. :)

message 29: by Rusalka (last edited Dec 28, 2015 04:16AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 999 comments Mod
For Indonesia, Yrinsyde, I've seen lots of recs in Aus for Beauty Is a Wound. Jason Steger on the December Book Club episode was raving about it. So not sure if you like his taste or not, but may be worth a go.

message 30: by Almeta (last edited Dec 31, 2015 09:12AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 42 comments In 2011, the year I joined Goodreads, I signed on for a challenge to read a book from each of the 50 member states that signed the first United Nations charter on June 26th, 1945. I never completed that challenge and intend to finish it up this year. Those that remain are marked with ☮.

ETA: I have moved my list to the Personal Lists 2016 discussion topic.

Almeta wrote: "Below is my tentative list.

In 2011, the year I joined Goodreads, I signed on for a challenge to read a book from each of the 50 member states that signed the first United Nations charter on June ..."

You're getting there!

message 32: by Lilisa (new)

Great list Almeta - good luck with your travels.

message 33: by Lilisa (new)

Happy 2016 to everyone Around the World - may your reading and personal travels be filled with love, laughter and fun!

message 34: by Rusalka (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 999 comments Mod
Happy New Year!!!

message 35: by Lilisa (new)

It's a bit challenging to find -- the folder to create your personal 2016 travel/reading thread is:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 36: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 167 comments Happy new year! Wishing all many successes in 2016.

message 37: by Marcie (new)

Marcie | 4 comments This is my first year participating, and I thought I'd try to couple it with learning German. Now I just have to figure out which books to read.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to listen. :) I generally prefer the fantasy/sci-fi genres.

Marcie wrote: "This is my first year participating, and I thought I'd try to couple it with learning German. Now I just have to figure out which books to read.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to listen...."

Welcome Marcie! We previously had a discussion of some translated fantasy and scifi, and there are some good suggestions in that thread as well as link to larger resources.

message 39: by Marcie (new)

Marcie | 4 comments Thanks Jenny! I saw that, but didn't see anything from Germany. I'm not too worried, I found the German Literature genre. :D

message 40: by Andrea (new)

I wasn't really sure where to put this, so I'll drop it here.

I've just been browsing through a list compiled by a local bookseller. It includes a few books that we've read/discussed, but also a few that I've never heard of. Maybe it will help some people with their planning?

http://www.readings.com.au/news/aroun...

message 41: by Val (new)

Val Andrea wrote: "I wasn't really sure where to put this, so I'll drop it here.

I've just been browsing through a list compiled by a local bookseller. It includes a few books that we've read/discussed, but also a ..."

Interesting list Andrea. I would like to visit your local bookshop.

message 42: by Lilisa (new)

Andrea wrote: "I wasn't really sure where to put this, so I'll drop it here.

I've just been browsing through a list compiled by a local bookseller. It includes a few books that we've read/discussed, but also a ..."

Interesting list, Andrea. I haven't heard of some of them - will have to check those out - thanks.

message 43: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanya_) | 229 comments Have just come across an article with some some selections I haven't come across and though someone might find a few more for their TBR's.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/201...

Tanya wrote: "Have just come across an article with some some selections I haven't come across and though someone might find a few more for their TBR's.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/201......"

Ooh By Night the Mountain Burns caught my eye!

message 45: by Andrea (new)

Tanya wrote: "Have just come across an article with some some selections I haven't come across and though someone might find a few more for their TBR's. http://www.theguardian.com/travel/201......"

I had planned to include The Circle of Karma in my 2016 list, but just couldn't source a copy anywhere. Now I think I might try harder.

message 46: by Lilisa (new)

Love the lists of books being shared here - what great resources! Thanks Tanya - I've bookmarked the page for when I have time to browse.

message 47: by Julie (new)

Julie (grandmajulie) | 5 comments My husband & I will be traveling to Europe on river cruise of the Danube and I'd like to focus on Hungary, Austria and Germany to get a feel for the place. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

message 48: by Lilisa (new)

Julie wrote: "My husband & I will be traveling to Europe on river cruise of the Danube and I'd like to focus on Hungary, Austria and Germany to get a feel for the place. Any suggestions would be wonderful."

Julie - here are a few I've read and enjoyed The Accidental Empress, Mozart's Last Aria, The Story of the Trapp Family Singers and The Invisible Bridge. Have a great time on the river cruise!

message 50: by Julie (new)

Julie (grandmajulie) | 5 comments Lilisa wrote: " Julie wrote: "My husband & I will be traveling to Europe on river cruise of the Danube and I'd like to focus on Hungary, Austria and Germany to get a feel for the place. Any suggestions would be w..."

thank you for your suggestions!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.