All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > December 2015 - what will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments What do you plan to read in December?

message 2: by Kerry (last edited Dec 21, 2015 04:21AM) (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 591 comments I am trying to finish up several reading challenges so have an eclectic list planned. Hope I can get them all in by the end of the year. Here are a few from the list:

ABC Challenge:
Q is for Quarry by Sue Grafton - substituted QR Codes Kill Kittens: How to Alienate Customers, Dishearten Employees, and Drive Your Business Into the Ground by Scott Stratten - DONE
XO by Jeffery Deaver - DONE

Pop Sugar Challenge:
The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton (published the year I was born)
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (Pulitzer Prize winner)
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez (a book I started but never finished) - DONE
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

And because I have been wanting to read it for awhile:
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - DONE

...and a few others. An ambitious list, but I am on holiday for most of the month, so I should have extra reading time.

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 860 comments I want to finish Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

Other books I need to read to finish off challenges are:

How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn
Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey and
The Cold Cold Ground by Adrian McKinty

and if I get through those I'll just read anything I fancy!

message 4: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Kerry, one of the books you plan to read was really good. Another was a big appointment. I will not reveal which was which. It would be fun if you later register your ratings as you complete the books. Then I can see what YOU think.....

message 5: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Erica wrote: "I want to finish Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.
"

Are you enjoying it till now? I love it!

As usual, I don't know what I will read. I want to finish the book I started a few days ago, Un'idea di destino by Tiziano Terzani and then I don't know. I already forgot what I wanted to read till the end of the year! I should check the "November - what will you reading" discussion to see what I wrote.

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I'm going to read The Girl with All the Gifts as a Group Read with another group. Probably going to start The Demons if it arrives on time (I have ordered it from AbeBooks).
As for the rest, I will let myself be surprised, as always :-)

message 7: by LauraT (last edited Nov 30, 2015 01:51AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13036 comments Mod
To begin with those following:
Richard Stark The Hunter
Leonie Swann Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story
Evelyn Waugh Brideshead Revisited
Seth Vikram Il ragazzo giusto
J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Brinsley Richard Sheridan, The School for Scandal
Nina Sankovitch  Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading
Jonas Jonasson, Il centenario che saltò dalla finestra e scomparve
Also something by Sarah Waters

But I hope to have some "Christmassy" books as well!!! Any suggestion?

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Laura, I really laughed reading Three Bags Full. Have fun.

message 10: by Patricia (last edited Dec 08, 2015 05:18AM) (new)

Patricia | 304 comments I'm going to keep it simple for December.

Defending Jacob
Trust No One
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin
Relativity
Inside the O'Briens Won this one, if it comes in the mail I will read it first.

message 11: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I plan to read Circling the Sun, We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, I Let You Go and The Long Home, but December is looking busy so I'm not sure I will manage all of them!

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1191 comments Hello again everyone. Hope all is good with you. This month I'm reading the last book in the Lord of the rings trilogy The return of the king. I'm thouroughly enjoy my re read of this series and also I plan another re read my yearly visit with Mr Dickens A Christmas Carol. I have a couple of others lined up but having read yesterday and this morning about All the light we cannot see I'm seriously considering a purchase , early Christmas prezzie to myself maybe. :)
ps I'm sorry I don't know how to do the link and make my books turn blue. I'm on a HTC android phone and I'm not tech minded at all.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm planning on reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series, hoping to finish it by the end of the year. Also, I'll have to re-read The Shadow of the Wind for a book club I've recently joined! Cheers.

message 14: by LauraT (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Laura, I really laughed reading Three Bags Full. Have fun."

I took the idea from you!

message 15: by Myst (last edited Dec 22, 2015 07:09PM) (new)

Myst | 494 comments Must Finish!
Dragongirl 12/13
Dragon's Time 12/16
Sky Dragons 12/22

Read-a-longs:
Anne of Green Gables Finished in Nov
Lolita Finished 12/11

New Release:
Blood Kiss (libraries don't appear to have it yet...comes out on the 1st of dec...)
Outtakes From the Grave (If my library gets it)

Time Allowing:
Horns (Nov. group read for a horror group)

Ill I thought wasn't going to come:
Demon Storm 12/12

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica | 860 comments dely wrote: "Erica wrote: "I want to finish Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.
"

Are you enjoying it till now? I love it!

As usual, I don't know what I will read. I want to fin..."

Hey Dely,

I am enjoying it. The descriptions and writing are so detailed though and creative that it's taking me longer to read than usual. But I can appreciate the author's clever way with words that's for sure. It the first book of Salman Rushdie's that I've read. I also have The Moor's Last Sigh on my bookshelf at home...have you read that one?

message 17: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Erica wrote: "I also have The Moor's Last Sigh on my bookshelf at home...have you read that one? "

I haven't but a GR friend I trust a lot told me that The Moor's Last Sigh is even better and one of the best books by Rushdie.

message 18: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments LauraT wrote: "To begin with those following:
Richard Stark The Hunter
Leonie Swann Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story
Evelyn Waugh Brideshead Revisited
Seth Vikram..."

Laura, I am currently reading Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher and it is certainly getting me into the Christmas mood : )

message 19: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments My December plan

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves for a group read

The Things We Do for Love and Spider Bones to complete my 2015 personal challenge of reading 36 unread books I already own.

message 20: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 276 comments I'll just finish Crisis on Infinite Earths and I'll also read Gone with the Wind

message 21: by Colleen (last edited Nov 29, 2015 07:40PM) (new)

message 22: by LauraT (new)

Evelyn wrote: "Laura, I am currently reading Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher and it is certainly getting me into the Christmas mood : )"

Great; I'll give a look if I can find it!

message 23: by Pink (new)

Pink I plan to read -

Tess of the D'Urbervilles
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
Johnny Got His Gun
Guantánamo Diary
Pride and Prejudice

I think anything else will be a bonus and picked spur of the moment.

message 26: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie When I make my list for the coming month I get so excited about what is ahead of me. Am I the only one?

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Chrissie wrote: "When I make my list for the coming month I get so excited about what is ahead of me. Am I the only one?"

Nope! I do too :)

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Leslie, :0)

Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 473 comments Chrissie wrote: "When I make my list for the coming month I get so excited about what is ahead of me. Am I the only one?"

me three :)

This month I'm going to read a number of books to prepare me for the Christmas season, I've started early with:
The Night Before Christmas hardcover: The Classic Edition and
Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King,
currently reading A Redbird Christmas which I'm enjoying very much.
I'm thinking of adding the already mentioned Winter Solstice , The Story of the Other Wise Man and An Old-Fashioned Christmas: Sweet Traditions for Hearth and Home.

I'm having a Celtic phase, currently reading The Celts: A History, but I will supplement with another couple of books on Celts, possibly one about their myths and legends.

Very tempted to join in with Tess of the D'Urbervilles, which has been on my TBR for ages!

message 30: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 02, 2015 02:09AM) (new)

Chrissie Laura T, what did you think of Effie: The Passionate Lives of Effie Gray, John Ruskin and John Everett Millais. I am having trouble choosing between that and Effie: A Victorian Scandal, which is non-fiction too. Does the one you read explain what has been fictionalized? Is the writing very good? How many stars did you give it? (3)Thanks for your help.

ETA I have discovered that both Effie books are non-fiction!

message 31: by LauraT (new)

The writing was pretty good, and I think it borders to non fiction. It was maybe a little too long, insisting on feelings, but it explained quite well what went on with the three of them.

message 32: by Pink (new)

Pink Leslie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "When I make my list for the coming month I get so excited about what is ahead of me. Am I the only one?"

Nope! I do too :)"

Me too!

message 33: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 02, 2015 02:12AM) (new)

Chrissie LauraT wrote: "The writing was pretty good, and I think it borders to non fiction. It was maybe a little too long, insisting on feelings, but it explained quite well what went on with the three of them."

Thanks. I went to your books and discovered you gave it three stars..... Hard to choose.

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 77 comments Patricia wrote: "I'm going to keep it simple for December.

Defending Jacob
Trust No One
[book:In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin|993..."

Some good ones there Patricia. I love Lisa Genova books.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 77 comments Colleen wrote: "I'll be finishing up The Dovekeepers. Then the list plans to go as:

'Til the Well Runs Dry
[book:10-Minute Clutter Control: Easy Feng Shui Tips for Getting Organize..."

We'll be reading a couple of the same books:)

message 36: by Lisa (last edited Dec 02, 2015 02:50AM) (new)

message 37: by Lisa (last edited Dec 02, 2015 02:49AM) (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 77 comments I bombed on my reading in November so I will try to make December and easier month.

I am reading and should finish tonight The Promise (Joe Pike #5) I love his books.

Next up:
Once We Were Brothers
UnWholly I read the first book last month and loved it.
Midwives
Memoirs of a Geisha with a book pal
Plainsong (finally)

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
or
Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt

A couple of fun/light ones:
The Christmas Joy Ride
Marry Me at Christmas
Stars of Fortune

And by January
'Til the Well Runs Dry
and
The Flood Girls

message 38: by Mary Glass (new)

Mary Glass | 54 comments Johnny Got His Gun just might break your heart. Very moving. Wish we could make Congress read it!

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 5 comments Last night I finished reading Throne of Glass. I loved it. Can't wait to read the next one. I just started reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I also plan on reading Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

message 40: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Amy, my two favorite by Nabokov are Lolita and Speak, Memory. Enjoy.

message 41: by Aswathy (new)

Aswathy | 12 comments I am planning to read Maya Angelou's autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings in December.

message 42: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 03, 2015 11:03PM) (new)

Chrissie Colleen, so what are your thoughts on The Dovekeepers?

message 43: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1191 comments 2x re reads for me The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. If there is any of December letter afterwards I'm going to read Shadow of the wind by Carlos Luis Zafon

message 44: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Come and tell us about any winter holiday books you are reading in the challenge thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

(and join the challenge on the group homepage too!)

message 45: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 304 comments Lisa wrote: "I bombed on my reading in November so I will try to make December and easier month.

I am reading and should finish tonight The Promise (Joe Pike #5) I love his books.

Next up:
[bo..."

I hope you love Midwives! Lucky you - having that great book to read.

message 46: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 343 comments @ Lisa - loved Midwives - and it didn't deter me from having a home birth. :)

@ Chrissie - really into The Dovekeepers. It won't be a real favorite, but it is fascinating reading about this ancient time. Very religious/superstitious and sometimes repetitive, and I do forget which character is narrating, but overall I think it's been worth reading. I'm getting near the end and a little nervous, luckily she hasn't been overly graphiic. It's my first Alice Hoffman but I own some other books of hers - can you recommend any of her other titles?

message 47: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Colleen, I have read nothing by Hoffman. If I read her this would be my choice. There has been discussion about the veracity of the facts in this book and since I will not be able to know what is true and what false I hesitate.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a few books I'm really looking forward to reading over the next few weeks.

1. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
2. Hercule Poirot's Christmas
3. Round the Christmas Fire: Festive Stories
4. Station Eleven

I will also continue listening to David Copperfield

message 49: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 29, 2015 11:12AM) (new)

Chrissie See messages 24 and 49 and 50 and 51 for other books read this month.

I need another book, having read all I had planned!

15. Kissinger: A Biography (read 2stars)by the great author Walter Isaacson

message 50: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 29, 2015 11:08AM) (new)

Chrissie I need even another book for December. It is:
16. Pied Piper (3 stars read) Nevil Shute.

See messages 24 and 49 and 51 for other books read this month.

« previous 1