2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Patricia's 5 Books

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (last edited Dec 28, 2015 07:20AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Reason for only 5 books:

I started late in the year around November 24th. I can usually fit a lot more books in the 1 and 1/2 months remaining but I'm trying to read the Outlander series (750+ paged books) and I'm finishing book 2 currently. After this book, I plan to read a 300 page novel which will only take a few days but then I plan to begin the next Outlander book after that (Voyager) and I will likely finish after two weeks but then I have exams to study for over the winter break so only a few books can be squeezed in.

1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
2. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
3. Sutton by J.R. Moehringer
4. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Extra:
6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

I have successfully completed my tiny goal of 5 books, with about a week to spare! I shall try to finish at least book 3 & 4 of the Harry Potter series by New Years!

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Hi Patricia,

Welcome to the group!

It looks like you ended up with a duplicate topic. I deleted the other one for you. Good luck on your reading challenge for the rest of the year. :)

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments thanks!

message 4: by Patricia (last edited Dec 21, 2015 05:05PM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Finished Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon on a day I cannot remember

message 5: by Patricia (last edited Dec 21, 2015 05:06PM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Finished Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon on December 14

message 6: by Patricia (last edited Dec 25, 2015 08:52AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Title: Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2)
Author: Diana Gabaldon

Rating: ★★★★☆
Finished: 14/12/15
Pages: 743

Review:
So the book kickstarted great! it started where Outlander had left off, with Claire and Jamie in France, ready to stop the Jacobite uprising. I found it really fascinating to read about the kinds of unorthodox medical practice's that occurred in 1745. it was a little bit slow because they were building up to the battle of Culloden but I found it also very good because it showed me the cruelties that the two suffered in Paris. Later on, at about the 250 page mark, bad things began happening rapidly and consistently. I knew I was in for a brutal ending. But I held on! I don't cry easily with books but this one brought me close 3-4 times. As the plot unravelled, new connection were discovered. betrayals uncovered. the ending of the book was A HUGE cliff hanger! Dougal. the Duke of Sandringham. Mary. Johnathan. JAMIE. CLAIRE. all contributed to a cliff hanger that left me chest sunken and breathless. The ending dragged on for 40 pages of information that could have been narrowed to at least half, which is why it did not receive full ratings. 2 major points to determining your enjoyment of a book: A captivating beginning and a heart melting or wrenching end to leave the reader interested and begging for more.

Categories: Historical Fiction, Romance
Challenges: Around the World

message 7: by Patricia (last edited Dec 22, 2015 09:18AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Finished Sutton by J.R. Moehringer on December 20

I am SUPER EXCITED! I got my Christmas money early from my Grandma so I was able to go to the bookstore today and spend it while the sales were still on! I got 4 new books:

Outsiders
Harry Potter #2
Harry Potter #3; and
All the Light We Cannot See

I'm really hyped to watch my collection grow on my shelf!

message 8: by Patricia (last edited Dec 25, 2015 08:52AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Title: Sutton
Author: J.R. Moehringer

Finished: 20/12/15
Pages: 334

Review:
This book is one that will be remembered for all generations to come. This book has become my second favourite of all time. It is a witty and cleverly written book. Betrayal at every turn and heart break that makes your heart wrench under sadness. You really feel for the characters. the author used great vocabulary and presents a nonfictional story-line in a way I've never read before. I am amazed at this book and will definitely be reading it again

why I deducted a star:

Willie rarely does this but it still happens: He mentions himself in the third person. I felt annoyed even though it was uncommon throughout the book. The ending also threw me off a bit as well as I didn't understand the * SPOILER (kinda) **** fact that it mentioned how Happy really loved Bess but then it said it was Sutton on the next page... I didn't like that ending as much as I thought I would.... but over all, I definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a nonfictional story with classic characteristics of betrayal, love, heart break, action, adventure and comedy with a tinge of sadness.

Categories: Historical fiction, Crime, Romance
Challenges: None

message 9: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed your book buying trip. :)

message 10: by Patricia (last edited Dec 21, 2015 05:17PM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling on December 21

message 11: by Patricia (last edited Dec 25, 2015 08:43AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Title: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter #1)
Author: J.K. Rowling

Finished: 21/12/15
Pages: 332

Review:
WOW. This book took me on a wild ride.

firstly, the characters. Harry is so sassy its unbelievable and really refreshing. Hagrid's insults and behaviour had me either grinning from ear to ear or laughing like a fool-- but a happy fool nonetheless. Ron is the dream best friend. Rowling really makes you feel for the characters whether it be by hatred (Malfoy and Dudley), mirth (Hagrid), or just plain annoyance (Percy). Peeves is my favourite ghost of all time! the setting. where do I even begin? banks run by trolls? shifting walls? a HUGE castle of a school?! all amazing locations which painted a more than vivid picture in my mind. the plot. loved it. I felt my heart race as well as leap out of my chest. truly a classic for the ages and generations to come. the plot includes mystical beings (troll, DRAGONS, goblins) and troublesome scenarios that make you leaning, falling or jumping out of your seat. a rollercoaster of events and feelings is what it is. final remarks. endings in books rarely impress me as either they drag on, page after page, for events that could be tied up in just a few, or they don't take long enough, just carelessly killing every character at once or in other sloppy ways. This book however, tied it off brilliantly. I have never felt so warm as when I read this ending. I have never smiled so much throughout a book. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a FANTASTIC read.

Why only 4 stars?

Being the size that the book was, Rowling did not expand on the characters as much as I needed to really feel for some of the characters. Others were done brilliantly and I had no trouble understanding their troubles. Seeing how characterization plays a major role of deciding the quality of a book, i took off 0.5 stars. The other 0.5 came in the middle of the book when the plot grew thin with a lot of entertaining but not as important events filling a gap. It quickly picked up at the end and saved itself!

Categories: Fantasy
Challenges: Around the World, Decade Challenge

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments My official challenge says i have passed my goal of 5 books by reading 15, which is true. The reason i am not considering my challenge to be over (still 1 book remaining) is because I did read those novels in 2015, true, but i wanted to start fresh from when i joined Goodreads until New Years day. So I still have 1 more book to read before I truly consider my challenge to be complete.

Harry potter book 3 here I come!

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling on December 22.

message 14: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Sweet (: ~ Great job completing your goal (:

message 15: by Patricia (last edited Dec 25, 2015 08:43AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)

Rating: ★★★★★
Finished: 22/12/15
Pages: 360

Review:
Being book 2, I thought the quality would slightly decline from the first. I WAS WRONG. My concerns with Book 1 were that the middle, even though it was still amusing, was filler and could have been used to thicken the plot. Book 2, had a thick plot that just got thicker in the middle right up until the end. While reading this book, a rare thing happened. I really felt strongly for the characters. Gilderoy Lockhart made my brain shrivel with his incomprehensible ego-dominated personality. I threw things at times to contain my anger of his self-absorbed person from exploding. I TRULY hate his character but love how Rowling built on him so well, as she did with all of the others. Hermione really grew this book as she became less stuck-up and even broke the rules a few times! The plot gave the story lots of depth but Rowling still managed to give the characters more personality and maintain a perfectly flowing novel. There were so many plot twists like Tom Riddle's identity or Ginny being the culprit of the crimes. Rowling really expanded on the characters by providing new facts about Harry and his friends like Harry being a Parselmouth. I loved that she opened the book brilliantly by introducing the extremely well crafted character of Dobby the house-elf, who i quickly gained sympathetic feelings for as well as joy because of his great characterization. The Dursley's were are cruel as usual-- actually even more than usual, giving me rage. The ending of the book was the perfect balance of time spent killing the Basalisk, followed by Tom Riddle, and recovering from the wild adventure. This is one of the best books I have ever had the joy of reading. Heart break, joy, laughter and anger will all play strong roles in your journey of reading this wonderfully written novel.

Categories: Fantasy, Adventure, slight Comedy

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments I have successfully reached my rather crummy goal of 5 books! Although it isn't very much, I still feel very accomplished and shall continue reading books rapidly, yet lovingly, until the very last second of 2015!

I honestly cannot wait for next year when my goal will be larger than ever in my entire life, and my time spent reading will skyrocket! 2016 here i come!

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Adriana wrote: "Sweet (: ~ Great job completing your goal (:"

Thank you! I just saw your comment now so sorry for my late reply!

message 18: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6233 comments Congratulations!

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Megan wrote: "Congratulations!"

Thanks! Feeling pretty good!

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling on December 24

message 21: by Patricia (last edited Dec 25, 2015 08:43AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)

Finished: 24/12/15
Pages: 462

Review:
This book threw me into a world of surprise. The books just keep getting better and better! The first book was a little bumpy but the second book improved in all of the areas I wished were different. THIS BOOK just took my breath away! I didn't think it was possible for this book to be better than the last but boy, was I wrong! So the book begins back with the Dursleys' house, Harry as usual, treated like less than nothing. Rowling instantly brought back my emotions of anger when she introduced the pompous and obnoxious character that is Margret Dursley. When Harry is on the train with the Dementors, it sent chills down my spine. Characters became more developed as you began to see more of Hermoine's wild side, with her breaking the rules several times. The first 100 pages weren't really necessary to the story line which usually I despise, but with the Qudditch matches commentated by the very funny Lee Jordan as well as the wacky antics of Fred and George, I found it quite delightful. The book was creepy at times, whether it be Sirius Black sneaking into Ron's dormitory or Harry's multiple sightings of the black dog, I had to pull my feet away from dangling over the bed! The book was fast paced as well as entertaining all while maintaining a healthy balance of characterization and story flow. Fast forwarding to the end: THE PLOT TWIST of Sirius being Harry's godfather?! I was flabbergasted once I found out! I had spent the entire book resenting him for what he did to Lily and James and when I found out that he was the ultimate friend and loyalist, I quickly felt terrible. As for Peter Pettigrew, I want him to receive the Dementor's kiss. I want him to receive 5. Professor Remus Lupin and Sirius Black are now two of my favorite characters. I love of Joanne used the time turner so that the reader was astounded when they discovered that Buckbeak was still alive and that Sirius would live. This book is the best so far and I can't wait to read it again! An honourable mention is the idea of the Bogartts and the part where Malfoy was hit by Buckbeak and he started screaming: "Its killed me! I'm dead!" which left me heaving with laughter!

Categories: Fantasy, Adventure

message 22: by Patricia (last edited Dec 25, 2015 08:44AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments ★★★★★ ☆☆☆☆☆

message 23: by Patricia (last edited Dec 28, 2015 07:22AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling on December 28

message 24: by Patricia (last edited Dec 28, 2015 07:52AM) (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Date Finished: 28/12/15
Pages: 617

Review:
If there was ever a book that deserved more than 5 stars, this is the book. I always say that a major part of a good book is a good compelling beginning and an ending which leaves you gasping for more. The beginning wouldn't let me put the book down. It started off as usual at the Dursleys' and let an unusual moment happen where Vernon gave the Weasleys' permission to pick Harry up from their house (Sunday at 5 o'clock). The beginning made me heave with laughter when that little piglet of a boy, Dudley at a Ton-Tongue Toffee and his tongue stretched 4 feet long! It continue to leave me hanging with wonder as everyone within the book was buzzing with excitement over the fact that "something" was happening at Hogwarts except the reader did not figure out what that "something" was until later on. To give you an idea of how grasping the ending was, note that I went to sleep at 3:40 in the morning, face buried in this book. The plot was never dull. The tournament itself had more action and depth than a lot of books, throwing in dragons, merpeople, and a giant maze! This book introduced a character Alastor `"Mad-Eye" Moody, who is one of the best characters ever written in the Harry Potter series. He is smart as well as fierce, SPOILER START which is why I was extremely upset when it was revealed that he had not been Ma-Eye all along. SPOILER FINISH. The way Rowling described all the new characters was amazing, giving me enough information to paint vivid pictures within my mind of the characters. This book left me laughing yet-- NOT DONE YET. Lets talk about the ending, obviously, SPOILERS START. The ending at the graveyard just ripped out my heart and threw it into a meat grinder. Cedric's death was so sad. His life was just thrown away "kill the extra" as if he wasn't a living, breathing person. The reforming of Voldemort was one of the creepiest scenes I have ever imagined; literally chills. The fight at the graveyard was also sad because Harry had to see the ghost of his parents, of the boy who just died. There are not enough words to accurately portray my anger with Cornelius Fudge. He killed the only witness to not only see the deaths of Voldemorts' victims as well as the rebirth of Voldemort himself. He was the only person who could convince the council that Voldemort has returned. He could have given up the names of the death eaters and Cornelius took that away out of his own ignorance and impatience. SPOILER END. In conclusion, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is my favourite book of all time. Nothing can compare to the quality of this book.

Categories: Fantasy, Action
Challenges: none