Guam Readers discussion

Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mie (new)

Mie (miebassett) | 2 comments Hey book lovers! I'm Jamie. I'm pretty new here but I thought of starting a thread for introductions since I don't see one already. I'm sure we'd all love to hear a little about each other's reading interests!

To start, I'm just pretty darn excited to have found Guam Readers Group, I've been an avid reader for some years now and I don't see that ever changing. I love classic novels, war fiction, contemporary fiction, and creative non-fiction. I think a few great sub-genres fall into these niches and lately my favorites have been post-apocalyptic and memoirs. I have tasted many others and I've rarely been disappointed (just 86 the contemporary romance novels, please.) I also love poetry and Wisdom-Lit holds a special place with me. Anyone else? It'd be great to hear from you!

So please, tell us about yourself!

message 2: by Francisco (new)

Francisco (powerliterature) | 2 comments Hi Jamie

I just signed up to Guam Readers group today. I'm Frank.
In general I love great literature but not limited to the classics. "Great" to me covers the great writers in the world - the well known and the not so quite known. But if I have to pick a favorite it would be Emily Dickinson for vision of life and death.

Anyway, cheers to you and members of this group.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Benavente Jr. | 9 comments I'm Joe, I just love reading fiction. I'm a sailor so I find a lot of time to read. I like seeing some life in this group.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Mcferran | 2 comments Hi everyone!

I’ve been on Goodreads for a few years but haven’t introduced myself. I enjoy modern fiction and historical fiction, but I would say a majority of my reads are non-fiction.

I’ve been in two book clubs on Guam so far, the first lasting for several books but the second only lasting for two. Trying to resurrect a third iteration and hoping it will stick.

Wondering how we can enliven this group a bit!?

Jen

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Benavente Jr. | 9 comments Yeah it would be nice if this group was more active. It's encouraging to be surrounded by ppl with similar interest and goals.

message 6: by Cristina (new)

Cristina | 4 comments Hello everyone! I'm Cristina, I'm currently addicted to Jane Austen!! =) Is it okay to add you guys as friends here on Goodreads?

message 7: by Satomi (new)

Satomi | 4 comments Hafa Adai! I am a Japanese living in Guam. I love reading fiction in both Japanese and English. Recently I am especially into dystopian/apocalyptic books, but read thriller/suspense, literally fiction, horror, YA, and so much more.

Superpower, Cinderella retelling, and strong female character are the trigger words that lead me to pick up the books.

I hope to talk with you about books!!

message 8: by Joe (new)

Joe Benavente Jr. | 9 comments Welcome Cristina and Satomi!

message 9: by Kiana (new)

Kiana (kianabrown) | 2 comments Hi, everyone! I’m Kiana. I’ve been a book-lover living on Guam for my entire life, but discovered Goodreads only a couple of years ago. Currently, I’m studying English lit at UOG - going to graduate this fall. My classmates and I started a book club we call “Lit Talks” and it’s been going for almost a year. I’m excited to talk books with the wider community, though.

I enjoy reading fiction, particularly historical fiction and anything that might be categorized under ethnic literature. Recently, however, I’ve been reading Octavia Butler - a science fiction writer - and I feel like I might pick up more books in the genre. I’ve also been looking to read more nonfiction, so if you guys have any recommendations there, I look forward to hearing them!

message 10: by Satomi (new)

Satomi | 4 comments Yes, Kianna! I like Octavia Butler, too!! I have read only two of her books so far, but would like to read them all!! Have you read any of the books of Nnedi Okorafor?!

message 11: by Kiana (new)

Kiana (kianabrown) | 2 comments Hi, Satomi! I haven’t had a chance to read any of her books yet. But you’ll see that I just added a bunch to my “to-read” shelf. She’s the keynote speaker at a convention I’m attending next spring, so I’m super excited to get into her work before meeting her 😄 Do you have any suggestions on what I should start with?