Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Frozen Tides (Falling Kingdoms, #4)
This topic is about Frozen Tides
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Rhodes, Morgan and Rowen, Michelle - Frozen Tides (Falling Kingdoms #4) - Informal Buddy Read; Start December 16, 2015

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 26, 2015 11:27AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about Frozen Tides by Morgan Rhodes

Book synopsis:
Rebels, royals, and monsters wage war over the Mytican throne in the shocking fourth book of the Falling Kingdoms series, from New York Times bestselling author Morgan Rhodes.

CLEO: Reeling after a bloody showdown in Limeros ending with Amara’s abduction of the water crystal, and a vacancy in the Mytican throne, Princess Cleo must cast aside her feelings and look toward her kingdom with the eyes of a Queen.

MAGNUS: With the kingdom in chaos, Princess Lucia still missing and quite possibly in danger, and a shocking realization about Cleo, the steely prince is once again torn between love and duty, leaving him wondering whether he’s strong enough to rule his people.

LUCIA: The young sorcercess has had her vengeance after the cruel death of her first and only love. Heartbroken and unable to trust anyone, she allies with the awoken Fire god, who also seeks revenge.

JONAS: After escaping death by the skin of his teeth, the defeated rebel—along with a mysterious stranger–leader reunites with Princess Cleo, only to find himself a mere pawn in a dangerous hunt for the elusive Kindred.

KING GAIUS: Abandoned by Melenia and betrayed by his own children, Gaius flees Mytica and sails to Kraeshia, where he attempts to ally with the famously brutal emperor across the Silver Sea.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments So excited for this!

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Can't wait to get my hands on this tomorrow! I've been trying to read past discussions of the previous books to remind myself of things I've forgotten already.

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments I don't know if you're into audio books, but I listened to Gathering Darkness and it was phenomenal! The narration was great, and of course, the story! I read the other two in hardcover. I ended up giving them away and now I wish I had kept them!

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments I love audio books! I have a subscription to Audible, but I just discovered a whole world of audio books through my library's Overdrive program. I read the first three books in this series last December, so it's been a year since I was in this world. If I'd had more time, it would have been fun to listen to this series on Audible before reading the fourth book. Maybe I'll do that next year before the 5th book comes out :)

message 8: by Christina (last edited Dec 15, 2015 01:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments My pre-order came in the mail today! I was hoping it would be delivered before lunch and it did! So I read the first three chapters while eating lunch today. Nothing mind-blowing happened yet. It's pretty much been three chapters of recap, but I'm fine with that as I had forgotten some detaill and was glad for the reminders.

I've heard we're going to see parts of the Kraeshain Empire in this book. Can't wait for those chapters!

I'm having a hard time remembering Felix. I've been reminded he tried to stab Jonas and almost killed him. I'm also remembering that he sort of magically appeared. (I remember while reading Gathering Darkness thinking that he was probably one of the immortals). What else do you remember about him from the last book?

Hope you can start reading soon!

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Christina wrote: "My pre-order came in the mail today! I was hoping it would be delivered before lunch and it did! So I read the first three chapters while eating lunch today. Nothing mind-blowing happened yet. It's..."

Felix became a comrade of sorts with Jonas, but he was supposed to double cross him. He's an assassin, but I can't remember who he works for specifically. He helped Jonas & Friends find the stones of power. When they found out he was an enemy is when he fought Jonas, but I don't believe he really wanted to kill him. I think he wanted to leave his original group. That's largely what I remember about him. Also, that most of his lines were hilariously delivered and I enjoyed his personality.

I will be *crossing my fingers* hopefully starting this today!!

I love the cover! I mean all of the covers are beautiful, but this one I think is the best so far. I'm pretty sure it's Lucia on the front.

Frost (frostychan) Sarah wrote: "Christina wrote: "My pre-order came in the mail today! I was hoping it would be delivered before lunch and it did! So I read the first three chapters while eating lunch today. Nothing mind-blowing ..."

Brace yourselves!!!!!!! So much frustration and feelings in this book.

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Sarah wrote: "Christina wrote: "My pre-order came in the mail today! I was hoping it would be delivered before lunch and it did! So I read the first three chapters while eating lunch today. Nothing mind-blowing ..."

Thanks for the update on Felix! It's funny because the next chapter I started reading was from Felix's POV and it recapped a lot of things from the last book, too.

I agree that the cover is really gorgeous. I think my favorite will always be Gathering Darkness, though, because purple is my favorite color!

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Frost wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Christina wrote: "My pre-order came in the mail today! I was hoping it would be delivered before lunch and it did! So I read the first three chapters while eating lunch today. Nothing..."

I'm braced! I'm only on page 135 but I can already see what you mean :)

message 13: by Christina (last edited Dec 16, 2015 06:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Through the end of chapter 10:

(view spoiler)

Frost (frostychan) Christina wrote: "Through the end of chapter 10:

Well, I certainly have a different opinion about Amara now. I couldn't stand her in the last book, but now I can see how difficult it would be having a father who t..."

Yeah i also have a feeling that Amara and Lucia might become allies in the future. I couldn't stand Amara in the last book as well but when i read Frozen Tides, probably because she just killed Prince Ashur like that, i was expecting that but i was clinging onto the hope that someone would save Ashur.

Olivia....yeah the book doesn't explain much about her, as far as we know she's a Watcher and she was watching over Jonas to protect him.

Ohhh there's gonna be so much excitement, trust me, c:

message 15: by Christina (last edited Dec 17, 2015 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Through the end of chp 17:

(view spoiler)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments So I'm not quite as far as you yet (lots of family things/drama distracting me). I'm at the beginning of Chapter 3 (Cleo). I am just so excited to be back in this world again. I see what you mean about the little bits of information from the last book. I'm remembering a lot more although I'm a little spotty still on Felix. But Maybe that will come to light later.

I'll update again when I'm done with the next chunk I get the chance to read.

message 17: by Christina (last edited Dec 18, 2015 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Sarah wrote: "So I'm not quite as far as you yet (lots of family things/drama distracting me). I'm at the beginning of Chapter 3 (Cleo). I am just so excited to be back in this world again. I see what you mean a..."

Don't worry; you'll definitely be caught up on all the details of Felix.

Sorry I'm not reading it slower so we could have a better discussion, but whenever I start reading it, I don't want to stop!!!!

message 18: by Christina (last edited Dec 18, 2015 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Through the end of chapter 22

Wow! Talk about non-stop plot twists and turns! I think this is the craziest section yet!!!

(view spoiler)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Through the end of chapter 25:

(view spoiler)

Frost (frostychan) All the plot twists shall make you all mind blown!

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Christina wrote: "Sarah wrote: "So I'm not quite as far as you yet (lots of family things/drama distracting me). I'm at the beginning of Chapter 3 (Cleo). I am just so excited to be back in this world again. I see w..."

Go for it!! I usually have more time for reading so I completely understand being wrapped up!

Frost (frostychan) Christina wrote: "Through the end of chapter 25:

Lucia is pregnant with Alexius' baby!!!!! Oh, my, goodness! This is going to be VERY interesting!!!

I liked and didn't like when Lucia started having her little in..."

That pregnancy though! That's a shock. I wonder how will Kyan react to this. He's gonna be furious, i think.

Lucia, she's also the character i like the least, and yes, i also have the same thought, she's just a whiny and spoiled girl. But it's really hard for her too, i guess. Because when she started to trust somebody, all of them betrayed her, i still can't believe she's starting to hate Alexius though, Alexius is trying to protect her. Alexius even killed himself before he killed Lucia. And Cleo, Cleo showed that she wants to form an alliance with Lucia and that she cares for Lucia, however in the end, Cleo still betrayed her.

Felix... :c How cruel, Amara sold him out. Amara is just so deceptive and smart. When she offers the wine, i knew something's fishy and bam i was right. She just killed her brothers and father like that. Quick and clean, leaving no evidence behind and blames poor Felix like that. Just like in the Gathering Darkness, she just pulled out a dagger and stabbed her brother Ashur like that, wow. However, it's really hard for her, when she's just born, her father tried to kill her, that's cruel. And she's was treated badly by her family, so it's kind of sad. Now she's with Gaius, can't wait for it!!!

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Frost wrote: "Christina wrote: "Through the end of chapter 25:

Lucia is pregnant with Alexius' baby!!!!! Oh, my, goodness! This is going to be VERY interesting!!!

I liked and didn't like when Lucia started ha..."

(view spoiler)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments Through the end of chapter 29:

(view spoiler)

I should finish the rest of the book today. Can't wait to see how it ends and what craziness will still happen!

Frost (frostychan) Christina wrote: "Through the end of chapter 29:

I'm super curious about the woman Gaius fell in love with when he was younger. I know he said she was dead, but I have a feeling she isn't and will come back later ..."

Hohoho. You'll know who is the woman whom Gaius is in love with by the end of the book! Soon....Soon... *cue evil laugh*

Yasssssssss Magnus/Cleo!!!!!! They argue a alot, but it's only because of the arguments they get to know each other and eventually fall in love.

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Christina wrote: "Through the end of chapter 10:

Well, I certainly have a different opinion about Amara now. I couldn't stand her in the last book, but now I can see how difficult it would be having a father who t..."

I agree!! I don't know if Amara would really be that interested in an alliance. She seems a little more out for her own gain.

Olivia, I don't know what to make of her yet. It does seem a little too good to be true that she would want to suddenly help them. I am at the end of Chapter 13. I find the alliance between Magnus/Clea/Jonas to be rather interesting. It could work out for everyone, but we all know by now that nothing ever works out how it's supposed to.

Lucia has gotten to be all kinds of crazy.

I agree with the plot being a little bit on the slow side. It does jump around quite a bit. We'll see how it turns out.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Frozen Tides (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Morgan Rhodes (other topics)