SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
This topic is about The Maze Runner
All Book Discussions > The Maze Runner (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
A discussion thread for our Dec - Jan BoM. Spoilers are permitted.

message 2: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I actually felt a little bad about not loving this book, especially as I quite enjoyed the movie (a very rare occurrence!!)

But there were just so many questions left unanswered, plot holes and so so many occurrences of "Are you serious?"

The first thing that bothered me was that the Timeline is very hazy. "When" the events of the story takes place is unclear; which I find very off-putting in a dystopian novel. I want to at least have a rough idea of how long it's been since 'normal' went ass over teakettle. Especially when teenage boys with no memory of their lives prior to waking up in "The Box" remember eating Hamburgers and Pizza. (view spoiler)

As I mentioned in the other thread - the book is quite a bit different to the movie - though I think that in this case, that might be a good thing, as the movie made the situation slightly more believable.
i.e
(view spoiler)

In the book, they have quite a farm going.
And yet, as TJ wondered - it is never mentioned how the animals arrive in the Glade. Was everything built around them?
Not to mention that; somehow a group of teenage boys manage to successfully breed the animals, as although supplies are sent up in the box, it doesn't mention sending up replacement livestock. (Or what happens to the offal and carcasses)

Then there's the lack of answers - VERY annoying!
I understand withholding certain information to increase suspense - but withholding information just because - is just unbelievably irritating! And none of us could come up with a plausible explanation for WHY none of the other Gladers would answer questions about anything. And on the rare occasions that a response was given, they were really more of a non-answer, and just raised more questions.

AJ noted that the author is worse at Math than she is.
As we are told that Alby has been in the Maze 2 years - and no-one has been there longer than he has. We are also told that once a month (like clockwork) a new boy is sent to the Glade via the Box. That means that in 2 years there should be a total of 24 boys - not taking into account any casualties of the Maze.
BUT, (view spoiler) Really?

These are just a few of the things that we discussed between the three of us, and there are plenty more - but I don't want to monopolize the thread.

message 3: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Finished the book a couple of hours ago.

The timeline not being explained never really bothered me. Just how they could remember words and things from the old days, but had to make up words for shit? like come on just say shit. Also the slammer? Like they are the first people to ever think of this word? Their slang really really got on my nerves!

I reckon when the first group was dropped in the glade they probably had a whole bunch of livestock to start off with?

I agree with the gladers refusing to answer questions. I mean just answer Thomas! What is with all the secrets?

When they make it through the maze, it is mentioned that there was a starting group? But yea, even with that the math is very shoddy!

The slang was my biggest problem. At least it lessened around the middle to end of the book.

Are you going to read the next on?

message 4: by Lisl (new)

Lisl I was interested in this book and my 12 year old wants to read it badly. Will be interesting to see if he has the some annoyances. He's a pretty smart kiddo and getting sharper as he gains reading experience.

Didn't know there was a next one?

message 5: by Jax (last edited Jan 14, 2016 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
The reason TJ brought up the question was because in the book new comers are pulled or lifted up out of the box - so she wanted to know who/how they got the first animals in.

When they make it through the maze, it is mentioned that there was a starting group? But yea, even with that the math is very shoddy!
We thought of that - but then noted that Alby wasn't part of that initial group - as he states he's been there the longest - but not that he was one of the first. So even considering the first group - it implies that none of them survived to see Thomas' arrival.

What is with all the secrets?
And they weren't even good secrets!

I had a big issue with (view spoiler)

I also got quite irritated with "The Awesomeness that was Thomas".
Because really?
He arrives in the maze, "sits around" moping about his lot for a week or so, but then is super fit and in prime condition and can just up and run for half a day?
But okay - we're going to assume he had access to an indoor gym wherever he was before the maze, and that he trained regularly.

Then we have his ability to just know the maze. (view spoiler) however having said that - they're all supposed to be the best of the best - the creme' of the crop and all that - and yet Thomas only twigged what WICKED stood for at the end of the book (I honestly thought he got it when he read it off the wall in the maze!! So I was seriously thrown when he had this MAJOR light-bulb moment at the end), and after everything, it was essentially chubby little Chuck who saved their asses, because the two 'geniuses' couldn't figure out that the word PUSH actually meant PUSH...

The Changing
(view spoiler)

Then, the Griever Hole.
That whole situation made me huff.
(view spoiler)

message 6: by Jax (last edited Jan 14, 2016 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I wasn't keen on starting The Scorch Trials after finishing Maze Runner and after the little AJ has told me about the first couple of chapters - I most likely won't. I'd be rolling my eyes too much to enjoy it.
From what I've gathered, the Author really needed to have done better research of the science stuff, or at least done a better job of explaining why - in his world - shit doesn't quite work the same way.

message 7: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Lisl wrote: "Didn't know there was a next one? "

It's supposed to be a trilogy, plus a prequel and some other bits.
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James Dashner The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0.5) by James Dashner The Maze Runner Files (Maze Runner) by James Dashner

message 8: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
About the animals - I'm watching the movie now and in the beginning when Thomas comes up in the box, there is a pig in there with him.

Yea the telepathy really confused me! Why? I wonder if there is an answer in the other books.

Yea I also wondered why Thomas took the changing so well?!!

Yea I also imagined it as a passage and not a whole room suddenly!

message 9: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I think the movie made changes to make the plot more believable.

It bugged all of us that in the book they had electricity and running water etc.
What was so bad about living in the Glade then?
They had shelter, a steady supply of food and water, and at night they were protected from the Grievers, (it could even be argued that they could have found and followed the electrical cables to find an exit) - whereas in the movie, they're living outdoors, cooking is done over a camp fire, not in a well equipped kitchen, and the grievers were a lot more intense that what I imagined from the description given in the book.
(Honestly, all I could envision was a mucusy blob with mechanical appendages the likes of which came out of the first Terminator movie. While not pretty, the only reason I'd run was so I didn't get snotted on.)

Scorch Trial (view spoiler)

The more we talked about Maze Runner, (and read - cos we looked up what others thought) the more we found lacking. I'm really glad the screenwriter(s) had such an amazing vision of what the book could be - because for me, Dashner fell short.

message 10: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
The movie imo was much much better!

Yea the movie people had it much worse, where the book they had it made. I myself would have left just because of the slag used in the book tho, lol.

That is so weird about the telepathy!

Agreed, the screenwriters really fixed a lot of stuff. Have you watched the second movie?

message 11: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
We've watched The Scorch Trials, and enjoyed it.
(Though we know one kid who walked out of the cinema because of all the violence.)
We however, have very few scruples when it comes to our movies... :D

message 12: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Heheh I join you in the few scruples :)

I also enjoyed the movie, but need to watch it again. A lot happened and I feel a bit confused. I think I will read the book though, and see how it goes.

message 13: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Good Luck! And hope you enjoy it!!