SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
This topic is about The Maze Runner
All Book Discussions > The Maze Runner (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
The discussion thread for our Dec - Jan BoM. Please avoid spoilers, or use the spoiler tag to hide them: < spoiler> spoiler>

message 2: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I just started reading this.
Is anyone else busy with it?

message 3: by Mareli (new)

Mareli Thalwitzer | 163 comments I've started with this book a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't interest me at all....

message 4: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Will probably read this soon!
How did you find it Jax?
Oh no Mareli! Did you watch the movie?

message 5: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Admittedly, it's taking me longer to read than expected.
I'm a little over halfway through - though my daughters have both finished it. (And loved it)

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the writing style, the movie definitely upped the action. I wouldn't say that I'm not enjoying it - but I'm not raving about it either....
(My daughters have assured me that it does get better. I'll let you know when I get there.) :)

message 6: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I hope it gets better! I'll probably read it this month - then we can discuss :)

message 7: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
72% in, and I think I figured out what was bugging me about the Narrative.
It seems at times to be written in the Third Person Limited - with the main point of view being Thomas'. But then at other times it's more like Third Person Objective where we only get what Thomas is seeing or hearing specifically. So for me - I've found it very difficult to become emotionally involved in the story.

Let me just say - that the book is very different from the Movie!

(I'll post up thoughts from my daughters as well in the spoiler thread soon.)

message 8: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I'll probably start reading it tonight! Can't wait to chat to you about it :)

message 9: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Finished Reading.

It was okay - not sure why it was so hyped up though.
The characters are all a little one dimensional, and there are plot holes aplenty!! (I'll note them in the spoiler thread.)

So, my rating was only a 2 star; though my daughters each give it a 2.5 star rating.

message 10: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I'm about half way through the book and the only thing that is bothering me is the replacement of swearwords with shunk and klunk. I cannot stand it. So the author didn't want to swear? Then don't. Use normal worlds. I get they 'made stuff up' but they remember all the other words, so why not this?

Is this Middle Grade? Did I miss something? I now can't wait for the moments that Thomas is by himself so his thoughts doesn't have this slang in it.

message 11: by Jax (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
LOL - I actually found myself mentally replacing them with what I felt was "supposed" to have been there.

It also bugged me - especially when you weren't quite sure what version was being used. One review used this line as an example of that:
"You’re the shuckiest shuck-faced shuck there ever was.

message 12: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
So true! 90% of them are very obvious. I have also tried to just replace them in my head. It is as if after he wrote it he went and used 'find and replace' in word...

message 13: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Finished! Will come and discuss in the spoilers thread :)