How to Promote YOUR book on Amazon discussion

General > A new book writing platform

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henrique (new)

Henrique Nadabrahman | 4 comments Hello pals,

Currently i'm developing an online platform where people read your book as you write it.

I'm aware of Wattpad, but I think that there are some flaws in that. My idea is to initially only allow non-fiction books to be written in order to avoid so many tennagers writing vampires/werewolf books.

However I'm a bit doubtful if there are people willing to write interesting non-fiction online for free. Also if it would work to write as you do, since the normal procedure would be to review the book a few times before publishing. In fact the author would be reviewing with the users feedback.

Please help me out and let me know your opinions.

Cheers!

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Thomas | 4 comments From a personal standpoint, I would think a writing website would go in the opposite direction; that is, allowing anything and everything while it was trying to become popular, and then limiting to certain genres once it had reached a certain level of popularity. In my mind, if you only accept non-fiction, then when you're first starting out--and when you're most in need of new users--a huge portion of both readers and writers will be turned away if they prefer fiction (which most people who are reading online do).

I agree that Wattpad's formula is problematic, but it might be an interesting exercise to ask different writers and readers what it is that they don't like about the site. For me, it's the total lack of user-driven curation; books are ranked based solely on how many people read them, rather than how many people enjoyed them.

message 3: by Henrique (last edited Nov 26, 2015 10:09AM) (new)

Henrique Nadabrahman | 4 comments Hey Valerie, thanks for your insights!

That's exactely what i'm trying to do, to create within the website a culture of writing good things, not some tennager fiction or some copy & paste script.

Later on i'd allow fiction books if the author applies his book proposal for evaluation. If we as platform like it, he would be allowed to write.

Don't you think that by allowing anything inside the platform I'd be attracting an audience that doesn't correspond to the one i'm aiming for?
I'm looking for a more mature audience producing quality and interesting histories, not wannabe writers.

After I had some revenue I'd pay authors for their production popularity.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Thomas | 4 comments I figured that's what you were trying to do :) I think the easiest way would be adding a Youtube-esque like/dislike system, instead of limiting what people can write. But that might just be me.

I have to admit that as an author I take huge issue with the idea of being allowed to write something that you would give away for free. Plus, a model like that isn't scalable if you ever want to compete with a huge company like Wattpad. I think it would be nearly impossible to find readers willing to voluntarily go through and approve or reject ideas for novels (especially once/if there were thousands of proposals).

Yes, you'd absolutely be attracting a larger audience if you didn't limit yourself to certain genres. In some cases perhaps less mature, but the audience if you decide on a non-fiction limit would probably only be interested in non-fiction (which is why they joined your site). Since the proportion of online readers interested in non-fiction is statistically low, I'm not sure why you would choose to do that.

I love the idea of paying writers, but it's not feasible in my opinion. As an author, a thousand dollars for a novel is the very low end of what I need for writing to be worth my time. Could you pay that to every author, even with hundreds of thousands of novels? And where would the money come from in the first place? Advertising?

message 5: by Henrique (last edited Nov 26, 2015 10:34AM) (new)

Henrique Nadabrahman | 4 comments Sorry I think I expressed myself badly. The website would be picking the best book proposals, me in the beginning.

The strategy to limit to non-fiction is to form first a culture of well-thought publications, instead of amateurish ones. The core is to avoid the website to be flooded with cheapy works. As soon as I could I 'd allow fiction as well, but only if approved.

Regarding the monetization, in the beginning I'd be placing ads inside the book pages.

The system of payment would be based on pages read. Whoever got more reads would be paid more.

It's well known that the great majority of self-published books fail. The market is too much saturated with so many books being published everyday. Also publishers need to pay for reviewing, editing, covers etc.

In the website you'd just write and receive for that, besides receiving live feedback. If you manage to keep readers engaged you'd be paid as much as they read.