FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Book Nominations > WOMEN OF AFRICA 2016 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (last edited Nov 26, 2015 10:41AM) (new)

Taylor (seffietay) It looks like our year long reading project for next year (2016!) is going to be Women of Africa. Please use this thread to nominate books by African authors that we can read next year!

Do we want to do one book a month, or something more ambitious to cover more amazing authors like one book every 2 weeks? (Our Atwood project has been a book a week, but does include shorter collections like poetry and short stories to allow for catch-up time on longer novels.)

Here are some authors to start looking at:

Nnedi Okorafor (Nigerian-American)
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria)
Helen Oyeyemi (Nigeria)
Nadine Gordimer (South Africa)

And some books:

This Child Will Be Great: Memoir of a Remarkable Life by Africa's First Woman President
491 Days
A Question of Power
The Boy Next Door
Black Mamba Boy
Under the Udala Trees
Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth
We Need New Names
Everything Good Will Come
Ghana Must Go
I Do Not Come to You by Chance
Memoirs from the Women's Prison
Nervous Conditions

message 2: by Storyheart (last edited Nov 27, 2015 07:47AM) (new)

message 3: by Miri (new)

Miri | 22 comments I love this theme! I read and loved all of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's books last year, and I've been wanting to explore more African literature. A few of their books are mentioned in the list, but these are some authors I have on my to-read shelf already:

Nadifa Mohamed (Somalia)
Yvonne Vera (Zimbabwe)
Tsitsi Dangarembga (Zimbabwe)
Chinelo Okparanta (Nigeria)
Nathacha Appanah (Mauritius)
Laila Lalami (Morocco)

message 4: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 1256 comments Mod
So these are the books that were nominated in the general nominations thread that fit this theme:

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta
Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth by Warsan Shire

We also have several authors mentioned, but we'll need specific books to put into the poll. (For example Kay had mentioned Nadine Gordimer.)

Any other books to be nominated before the poll goes up?

message 5: by Alexa (new)

And if anyone's looking for more ideas, this is a great list, 50 Books by African Women that Everyone Should Read! http://whatsonafrica.org/50-books-by-...

message 8: by Alexa (new)

And the poll is up! Come vote https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 9: by Miri (new)

Miri | 22 comments Before I vote, what's the purpose of the poll? Are we choosing multiple books to make up the list for the whole year? Voting for the one we'll read first? Just want to make sure I don't mess it up. :)

message 10: by Alexa (new)

Good question! It kind of depends on how the results look - I was sort of assuming that we would be choosing somewhere between three to six books here. Assuming we would wait and see how many clearly rose from the group. So thinking we would take the clear front-runners and put them on the schedule for the next few months and then hold another poll when we ran out.

And we can discuss what we finally choose as well. So once we have a sense of what the favorites are, we can together decide how many of them to take for this first round. How does that sound?

message 11: by Miri (new)

Miri | 22 comments Makes sense!

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Looks like Chimamanda is dominating :) do we want to read a bunch of her stuff, or just one so we can cover as many authors as possible? (Spoiler alert, all of her books are excellent ha)

message 13: by Miri (new)

Miri | 22 comments I read all her books last year and every one of them was amazing. My preference would be multiple authors, since I think probably most of us don't have wide exposure to African writers, and they're not ones we'll often stumble across without specifically seeking them out. But either way is fine.

message 14: by Alexa (new)

I'm willing to go either way; I'm fine with following whatever the poll gives us. Just looking at the standings right now (although we still have four more days to run), if we were to take the top three books we would have the choices of over 50% of the voters for the first three months, and then we could take all the other choices that got voted for and automatically include them in the next round of nominations. And then in the next round of voting we would get a better sense of which way people wanted to go next (as in more of the same or broaden out to include different writers).

How would that be?

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) Sounds good to me!

message 16: by Kay (new)

Kay Alexa wrote: "I'm willing to go either way; I'm fine with following whatever the poll gives us. Just looking at the standings right now (although we still have four more days to run), if we were to take the top ..."

That sounds great.