Memoir Authors discussion

The Exes in My Glass: How I Refined My Taste in Men & Alcohol
This topic is about The Exes in My Glass
Marketing > Advice on back cover copy for memoir

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Mattson (theexesinmyipod) | 1 comments Hi everyone,
I'm struggling with which approach to take with the back cover copy for my memoir. It seems like all the traditional publishers now just print a slew of accolades on the back. I'm trying to do a mix of both accolades and synopsis, but I want to make sure the copy makes women want to buy it. What do you think of these options? I got the "this book is for ..." idea from a NYT best seller.
Thanks!

OPTION 1: mix accolades and promo copy

“It’s the Eat, Pray, Love of the wine world.” – Wine Enthusiast

The Exes in My Glass: How I Refined My Taste in Men & Alcohol is a witty, humbling-in-hindsight memoir of a redneck girl who escapes a childhood filled with cheap beer and hardship by following her boyfriend to the big city. Thirsty for worldliness and starving for love, Lisa Mattson struggles with naivety, insecurity and the double standards of dating during her twenties, finding humor in her choices in boyfriends and adult beverages—and how she honed her palate for both. It is the story of her bewildering journey to learn the difference between sex and love, the power of self-respect and the reward of taking the long road to a fabulous life in wine country where her glass is always full.

“Like a great wine, this deliciously funny and heartwarming tale
brings joy to your soul and a smile to your face.”
— Leslie Sbrocco, author of Wine for Women and host of Check, Please! Bay Area

“Lisa’s tale of life and love is relatable, hilarious and makes me quite thirsty
for a great glass.” – Hayley Hamilton, D Magazine

“…a humorous and gritty look at relationships.” — Erin Jimcosky, CRAFT

Lisa M. Mattson is an award-winning blogger, wine marketing expert and former magazine editor. She resides in Sonoma County, California, with her husband and their Champagne-centric wine collection.

lisamattsonwine.com
@lisamattsonwine
facebook.com/exesinmyglass

Cover design by Anna Dorfman. Illustration by Megan Piontkowski.

OPTION 2: more reader focused

This book is for women who have lost hope in the perfect man.
This book is for all the ladies who want to steer a different course.
This book is for survivors of college romance, divorce and the wine cooler era.
This book is for anyone who has struggled with dating judgment and sexual boundaries.
The Exes in My Glass: How I Refined My Taste in Men & Alcohol will show you the intoxicating power of learning to love yourself, embracing your baggage and never giving up on your dreams.

“Lisa’s tale of life and love is relatable, hilarious and makes me quite thirsty
for a great glass.” – Hayley Hamilton, D Magazine

“I so love it when a book turns out to be 1,000 times better than I thought it would be!” — Traci Wilcox, Traci’s Book Reviews

Lisa M. Mattson is an award-winning blogger, wine marketing expert and former magazine editor. She resides in Sonoma County, California, with her husband and their Champagne-centric wine collection.

lisamattsonwine.com
@lisamattsonwine

OPTION 3: mix of options 1 and 2

The Exes in My Glass: How I Refined My Taste in Men & Alcohol is a witty, humbling-in-hindsight memoir of a redneck girl who escapes a childhood filled with cheap beer and hardship by following her boyfriend to the big city. Thirsty for worldliness and starving for love, Lisa Mattson struggles with naivety, insecurity and the double standards of dating during her twenties, finding humor in her choices in boyfriends and adult beverages—and how she honed her palate for both. It is the story of her bewildering journey to learn the difference between sex and love, the power of self-respect and the reward of taking the long road to a fabulous life in wine country where her glass is always full.

This book is for women who have lost hope in the perfect man.
This book is for all the ladies who want to steer a different course.
This book is for survivors of college romance, divorce and the wine cooler era.
This book is for anyone who has struggled with dating judgment and sexual boundaries.
This book will show you the intoxicating power of learning to love yourself, embracing your baggage and never giving up on your dreams.

lisamattsonwine.com
@lisamattsonwine

OPTION 4: more traditional

The Exes in My Glass: How I Refined My Taste in Men & Alcohol is the memoir of a respected wine maven who overcame naivety, insecurity and the double standards of dating to find the intoxicating power of embracing your baggage and never giving up on your dreams.

Through a witty, humbling-in-hindsight narrative, Lisa Mattson opens up about her darkest follies with men and booze during her twenties, finding humor in a priceless string of ex-boyfriends that helped hone her dating (and drinking) palate. She shares her bewildering journey to learn the difference between sex and love, the power of self-respect and the reward of taking the long road to a fabulous life in wine country where her glass is always full.

lisamattsonwine.com
@lisamattsonwine

Lisa M. Mattson

message 2: by Meran (new)

Meran | 24 comments How about a reference to Sex in the City? Personally, I didn't care for the show, but I know many women ~still miss it, talk about it.

It'll give them More Dishes (pun intended) served a la Carte, Sex in the City Style (or to keep the metaphor going, "Off the New York Style Menu" of Love and Wine)

Mind you, I'm pretty sure it took place there, but I'm not sure, since I never partook

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina Norstrom | 27 comments Lisa, out of the ones you've mentioned, option 4 works. Then again, you may want to do a mix with what Meran put out there.

I can see how you're struggling. It's not an easy call to make!

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Burkhardt | 5 comments I'd suggest going with a mix of promo copy and accolades.

The promo copy gives potential readers a sense of what it's about, while the accolades demonstrate that people have found it to be worth reading.

Delete "humble" and any other self-effacing term. Too often, we women - perhaps unintentionally - are too skilled at telling people that we aren't worth being taken seriously ("humbly," etc.) (when I say that, I know that I'm guilty as charged. Have made strides at overcoming that after getting literally screamed at by a male colleague for screwing myself out of an opportunity).