Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Sally Hemings & Family

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (last edited Nov 26, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

Monica | 107 comments Can anyone recommend any good books? All of the books listed here on Goodreads have bad or mixed reviews that have kind of put me off of them. The books don't have to be historical fiction. Thanks!

message 2: by Portia (new)

Portia I'm guessing you've already checked out The Hemingses of Monticello?

message 3: by Nell (new)

Nell Sally Hemings by Barbara Chase-Riboud.
As to reviews, some readers comments may reflect their reactions to learning more than they want to know about an American icon. It's difficult to reconcile the author of the Declaration of Independence attended by slaves as he writes.

message 4: by Monica (last edited Nov 26, 2015 01:26PM) (new)

Monica | 107 comments Portia wrote: "I'm guessing you've already checked out The Hemingses of Monticello?"

I read the reviews and some seemed really put off by the repetitiveness of the author. Have you read it? Did you enjoy it? Thanks.

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica | 107 comments Nell wrote: "Sally Hemings by Barbara Chase-Riboud.
As to reviews, some readers comments may reflect their reactions to learning more than they want to know about an American icon...."

That is a very good point. Looking back, the overall reviews weren't that bad. I think I'll check this one out. Thanks.

message 6: by Nell (last edited Nov 27, 2015 11:11AM) (new)

Nell Monica wrote: "Portia wrote: "I'm guessing you've already checked out The Hemingses of Monticello?"

I read the reviews and some seemed really put off by the repetitiveness of the author. Have you ..."

Haven't read this one yet but it won the Pulitzer Prize and the Nat'l Book Award.

message 7: by Monica (last edited Nov 27, 2015 04:47PM) (new)

Monica | 107 comments Nell wrote: "Monica wrote: "Portia wrote: "I'm guessing you've already checked out The Hemingses of Monticello?"

I read the reviews and some seemed really put off by the repetitiveness of the au..."

Oh! I did not know that! If it said that on the page, I must have missed it. That says a lot. Thanks!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanconder) | 68 comments I would recommend The Hemings of Monticello. I was annoyed by parts of it, not so much repetitiveness but rather the author kept referring to events before she had fully explained them to the reader. But the book has stayed with me and I learned quite a bit from it.

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica | 107 comments Susan wrote: "I would recommend The Hemings of Monticello. I was annoyed by parts of it, not so much repetitiveness but rather the author kept referring to events before she had fully explained them to the reade..."

Thank you for your honest review. I have added it to my to read list.