Poldark Saga - Winston Graham discussion

Bella Poldark (Poldark, #12)
This topic is about Bella Poldark
Bella Poldark - #12 > Agneta Treneglos

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (last edited Nov 26, 2015 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
What are your impressions of Agneta? We're told she suffered from seizures, but that condition has improved. She's also believed to be sterile. Ross describes her as being "peculiar." She is naïve, but to what extent does she have a developmental or cognitive impairment?

Marilyn | 28 comments Based on her speeches in the novel, she appeared severely disabled to me. And her irrational actions confirmed that to me.

message 3: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
If we accept the premise that she is cognitively disabled, then by today's standards, we would say that she is not capable of consent. Following that logic, Valentine is a rapist. Is he a rapist from the historical perspective? Valentine describes her reaction to his attentions as being very grateful. She's clearly distraught when he becomes tired of her. In that way, Valentine certainly took advantage of a naïve girl. And Valentine does seem prefer young women over which he has a level of power (house staff, etc.) Rapist, or sexually addicted jerk?

Mayi Husosky | 20 comments First though is, what a sexually addicted jerk, but then the whole ape thing, gets you thinking, was it more complex, did he care for her? Was he attracted to the to the situation because he had complete mastery of her like he did Botto? I think with all the women he is trying to prove to himself that he is loved because he was not loved as a child. It's hinted the he inherited the womanizing from his grandfather, but in Valentine's case its more than that, he is not sane.

Stella Day | 391 comments Mayi wrote: "It's hinted the he inherited the womanising from his grandfather, but in Valentine's case its more than that, he is not sane.

I agree that Valentine is not sane. He is almost psychopathic but desperate to be loved. He is able to care about only Butto. His choice of Agneta suggests he has no conscience.

Mayi Husosky | 20 comments good point about no conscience. I do not think so much psychopathic but childish, he behaves like a spoiled 4 year old, Agneta is just a toy that he has tired of playing, Botto is a toy, I think Georgie likes him so much because he is a playmate.

QNPoohBear | 21 comments Yes, based on her dialogue with Valentine and her lack of comprehension that the affair is over and Selina must not know, Agenta is intellectually disabled. The seizures may imply Cerebral Palsy but I'm not sure why she's sterile. Valentine was utterly despicable to take advantage of her like that. This is the lowest of the low, even for him. He enjoys the conquest and the thrill of the clandestine nature of the relationship. Perhaps he's also motivated by the gossip that Ross is his father. The Treneglosses seem to believe it and I'm sure Valentine was aware they believed the rumors. He may delight in thumbing his nose at them, repaying them for their nasty gossip.

message 8: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Sutton | 1 comments This is something a bit odd, if the Trenegloses think that Ross is Val's father, why doesn't George have more suspicions?

message 9: by Myrt (new)

Myrt (anwenn) | 21 comments Nadine wrote: "This is something a bit odd, if the Trenegloses think that Ross is Val's father, why doesn't George have more suspicions?"

John Trenegloses got no satisfaction from George so he went to Ross. When Ross confronts John about his claim, he backs down because he doesn't really suspect and says something to the effect
'well, that's what people say.' It's local villagers' idle gossip. There was no proof or strong resemblance.

It was like way back in the beginning of the Saga, after Ginny and her baby are attacked by a man with a knife, the baby has a scar on the side of his face and some people started saying Ross was the father!

Whatever George suspected or may have heard, he never said a word. He disliked Valentine and disowned him but it was strictly because Valentine refused to marry the girl he had picked out for him as part of an important business deal for George.

On what ended up being Elizabeth's deathbed, George had promised Elizabeth he would never question Valentine's paternity again - and he didn't!

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris | 7 comments Dear Myrt,
What a thoughtful answer. Thanks. The Valentine story in Bella Poldark was very interesting. Maybe I should read it again. When Poldark Series 5 ended on TV, I got out my books and started reading them over again from the beginning. I'm in the middle now.
Chris

message 11: by Myrt (new)

Myrt (anwenn) | 21 comments Chris wrote: "Dear Myrt,
What a thoughtful answer. Thanks. The Valentine story in Bella Poldark was very interesting. Maybe I should read it again. When Poldark Series 5 ended on TV, I got out my books and start..."

Thanks! The books are definitely better!