What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Mystery - Seaside Community and Filmmakers

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (critteranne) | 71 comments Apologies if this appears twice, but I can't find the first post.

In the 1970s, I read a children's mystery that took place in a seaside community (possibly a small island). I think it was a hardback. And I think the mystery involved a treasure hunt. The most memorable part was the setting. The children lived by the sea, so they got to play on the beach all the time! (It was a small community, without condos and such.)

Also, filmmakers were visiting their community and shooting a picture there. This probably wasn't a huge part of the story, but I remember a scene where the main characters got to be extras in a scene -- they were filmed goofing around in the surf.

Now let's hope I post this correctly as I'm sick of typing this! :)

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Anne, I deleted the duplicate post, but copied parts that may contain more clues:

"...I don't remember much about the mystery -- it might have been a treasure hunt, and probably something pretty gentle. The main characters included both girls and boys.

The part I remember the most was the seaside setting. It took place in a small seaside community with beaches, so the kids were always going to the beach on their own. (This was an old-fashioned seaside community -- no condos, no crowds.) Also, someone was making a movie there, and the children got to be extras in one scene. The filmmakers shot footage of them playing in the surf."

I moved your request to the "Unsolved" folder because you're looking for a specific book.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (critteranne) | 71 comments Kris wrote: "Anne, I deleted the duplicate post, but copied parts that may contain more clues:

"...I don't remember much about the mystery -- it might have been a treasure hunt, and probably something pretty g..."

Thanks! I have to get used to this app. I usually just use the Website. :)

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
The desktop site is a lot more useful when posting in this group. The mobile site and app are missing a lot of features.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Anne, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne (critteranne) | 71 comments I never found it. I didn’t have enough details. :(

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments Reminds me of Peggy Parish, maybe Pirate Island Adventure? The kids solve mysteries by the seaside, but I don't know about filmmakers being involved.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne (critteranne) | 71 comments Hmm it was certainly published in the right era. :) I'll look into it.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
And I was thinking maybe one of Enid Blyton's books. It's been a long time since I read them, so they tend to run together after this many years (I'm a grandmother now, so that gives you an idea of how many years) but I thought I'd suggest her any way.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah MacPherson | 46 comments The details don't all match, but maybe Robin Kane: The Mystery of the Blue Pelican?

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments Still looking, Anne?