Booktastic Bookaholics discussion

Everything, Everything
This topic is about Everything, Everything
Book of the Month Archives > December 2015-Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Andrea (booktasticnerd87) | 4512 comments Mod
I cannot wait to see the discussions for this book. This is one that I do plan to read and I cannot wait. I am honestly not sure what I truly think of this book yet. Based on the synopsis alone I am not sure if this book is for me.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so excited for this book! It was actually already on my Christmas list!

Megan (ReadingRover) | 1232 comments Mod
I'm so excited for this one!

I am not sure if I will like this one or not. I am just not sure if this is something I would read but I own it and will give it a shot.

I'm only a few pages in and I'm hanging in a balance of I do not know if I can finish it already. I am trying to keep working my way through it until at least 100 pages in and then decide it. Keep me in your reading thoughts as I read this and hope that I like it.

Stick with it! People supposedly love it or hate it so it can pan out either way. I haven't started it yet. I've read quite a few reviews and the story seems like it can be a bit far fetched but like I said people either love it or hate it. You can do it Andrea!!!

I think this will be an easy read for me. Not all the pages have a full page of writing. Some have a few little pictures (like graphs) but I am pretty sure I can do this. I am going back to the reading now that I have checked in and seen what all is going on. My phone was going nuts for a little while but I tried to ignore it and read. lol

Ali Kiki (love2dazzle) | 26 comments I am going to start this one tonight. I just bought a copy. I am looking forward to joining in.

YaY Ali! You can read at the same time I am.

I'm over 100 pages in. I just don't think I am feeling this book. I like it, but I'm just not feeling it.

Ali Kiki (love2dazzle) | 26 comments I only made it through like 10 pages before I fell asleep last night. I was so exhausted. I am going to try to tackle some more pages on my lunch today. It is a bit strange with all the diagrams.

It's why I am flying through the book. I think with the point that I just got to it may keep my attention more. I don't know yet.

Ali Kiki (love2dazzle) | 26 comments Maybe trying going back and forth with different books so you aren't getting burnt out on it.

Ali wrote: "Maybe trying going back and forth with different books so you aren't getting burnt out on it."

I have been also reading a few other books as well. Which has been great with helping me get through it.

Ali Kiki (love2dazzle) | 26 comments I haven't decided if I like it or not yet. I am on page 57. It is interesting but I feel like I am not getting to know the characters very well and that is usually what keeps me interested in a story. I am going to keep pushing through. It is a very fast read.

Definitely a very fast read. I liked it a lot starting at page 200.

Ali Kiki (love2dazzle) | 26 comments I am on 85 at the moment. I have a feeling that I might fly through it tonight. We will see. I think the writing style is really interesting. I am just not sure about the story itself yet.

I am pretty sure that my current opinion of it will stay the same. I like it but I don't love it.

Rachel I. I'm over a 100 pages in, and I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I'm somewhere between a bit bored and just interested enough to keep reading. I'm also finding myself constantly annoyed with Madeline for some reason :/

Rachel, I felt the same way. I was bored with it but still interested. There is a twist towards the end that even I was not expecting. I just could not find myself loving the book.

Rachel I. Yeah I just finished the book and that twist was very unexpected! I thought it made it slightly more interesting, but I still didn't love the book. It definitely wasn't a bad book but not my favorite either.

Rachel that is how I feel. I like the book but I do not love the book.

Ali Kiki (love2dazzle) | 26 comments I guessed the twist pretty close to the beginning.

Rachel I. I actually thought to myself randomly about half way in "wouldn't it be funny if she wasn't even sick this whole time?" But I didn't actually think that was going to happen so I was still really surprised.

Rachel I. Ok just realized that was a major spoiler I just posted but not sure if I can delete it sorry!

message 26: by Liv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liv (oliviareadstoomuch) I'm listening to the audiobook version. The narrator needs a few listens to get used to, but it's helping me read a book while I commute!

Brianna (bebecburt) I really liked this book. It was a tad predictable, but it was at least different enough to be interesting. It wasn't the normal kind of sickness in most books involving health!

message 28: by Liv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liv (oliviareadstoomuch) Rachel wrote: "I actually thought to myself randomly about half way in "wouldn't it be funny if she wasn't even sick this whole time?" But I didn't actually think that was going to happen so I was still really su..."
That's exactly what I was thinking too!

I'm also listening to this book. I'm ok with the narrator but Maddy is killing me. I'm about half way through and she went outside for the first time with no ill effects. Now her mom took her Internet away and fired Carla and she's not even mad. What's wrong with this girl? Doesn't she have even an ounce of fight in her? Isn't she even the slightest bit resentful? Get angry! Do something!!!

Megan it keeps you just interested enough for you not to be bored with it and it's like you are interested enough to finish reading to know what happens.

Exactly now I need to know but I'm like why why why?!?!? I just want her to actually DO something instead of just go along with whatever her mom wants.

Ali Kiki (love2dazzle) | 26 comments How is the audiobook with the illustration part of things?

Idk. Are there illustrations in the actual book? I just got the audiobook from the library. She refers to her architecture project and her personal dictionary but I don't feel like I need to see them.

There are a few illustrations in the book. I do not remember how many. I can send you a few text with the pictures if you want so you can at least see them.

Ok sure. Thanks

I will get them sent this evening after I get home from my mother in laws.

K no rush

Okay more like tomorrow.

So I'm done and I'm not impressed.
Maddy was a nice girl but pretty pathetic. She had no balls (excuse my language). How do you live in a bubble your whole life and never get mad or resentful or frustrated? Especially after she was seeing Ollie and her mother took that away from her along with her Internet. How do you just lie down and say ok mom? Don't get me wrong. I felt bad for Maddy and I know she didn't know any other way of life but she had to have gotten stir crazy and angry. I liked Ollie. He definitely put up with a lot more than the average teenage boy but then again he was probably not only intrigued but looking for his own escape. Carla was great. She really came through especially in the end. I get why she never told Maddy her suspicions. She had a job to do and she couldn't have been positive of if Maddy was sick or not and she seemed like an it's not my place kind of person.
The mom was totally out of control. It didn't matter what she was confronted with and she would stick to the sick story. With the disease Maddy supposedly had she would be getting pretty sick often from all sorts of things and complete isolation is not even recommended. Also some of the treatments are pretty severe. Didn't Maddy once think to look up her disease online. That's the only connection she has with the outside. I would be looking into it finding out everything I could.
Ok enough ranting. There's my thoughts!!!

Megan wrote: "So I'm done and I'm not impressed.
Maddy was a nice girl but pretty pathetic. She had no balls (excuse my language). How do you live in a bubble your whole life and never get mad or resentful or f..."

Oh my gosh, you have pretty much said everything I really thought about the book. I was frustrated with the main character, Maddy, because she had sources to the outside to look up her "disease" and she didn't. I mean I would have wanted to know about myself. I would want to see what kind of things could trigger anything. I loved Ollie. I think he was a great character to introduce. I loved the cake scenes. Dropping it out of the window and Ollie pretending to be a doctor to the cake. I just loved that because he was the laughter in a book that I found just interesting enough to keep my attention.

Omg the cake scenes were so excellent!!!

Megan wrote: "Omg the cake scenes were so excellent!!!"

I nearly died reading those. Those were about the only thing that kept me reading for a little while.

Desiree Kelley | 3 comments This book wasn't a stand out for me. But it was ok. I didn't think the characters were built well. Ollie was a cool character and I love the romance in the book. This wasn't my favorite book.

Desiree I totally agree.

message 45: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam Cate (samcsch) Okay so before I started reading this book my initial belief was that it was going to end like the movie Bubble Voy. If you haven't heard of this movie it revolves around a boy with the exact! same! disease! as Maddy. At the end of the movie, it turns out that the mother told the boy he had the disease to "protect" him.....just like Maddy's mother told her. Also, for someone who's never been outside Maddy didn't seem the slightest bit culture shocked. This book really did not impress me and I was super disappointed in it. The only redeeming factor about this book is that Maddy is a POC which is sadly rare in fiction.

Omg. You are so right. It's totally like bubble boy! The stuff with Ollie had some redeeming qualities but other than that it was really a frustrating book. I kept wanting to just grab her and be like HELLOOOO!!!! Don't you even want to know what's outside? Don't you want to know more about your disease? Don't you have questions? You have a computer sitting right there and the whole world available to talk to. USE IT!!!

It seems a lot of us are very disappointed with this book! I know that I rated it three stars but it's how I do my ratings. I am a I liked it but did not love it rating for 3 stars. Although I am pretty sure I'll adjust things like that at some point.

I did the same I think

I am sure it's probably going to be a two star by the time the end of the month rolls around. I mean the only good thing about the book is Ollie. I think if he had not been in the book I would not have finished it.

Roxanne | 727 comments Mod
I loved this book, and that twist....

« previous 1