IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Book Suggestions > January 2016 Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) Wow, where has this year gone?! I can still remember posting the January 2015 book suggestions...time has flown by! I hope everyone's last month of 2015 goes well!
Now: on to serious business. It seemed to work very well when I posted book suggestions early, so with luck I'll continue to do so! For January, I have a fun theme for everyone who loves Gilmore Girls: I want you to pick a few books off of Rory Gilmore's book list! Here's the link below of all the books featured on the show:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyandol...

The good thing about this theme is regardless if you've seen the show, there's bound to be a book on the list that you've loved/wanted to read for awhile/want the IggleWorms to read with you. It's a fun list that's full of books (339!!), so I doubt anyone won't find something. So, start suggesting! I'm going to peruse through it myself to see which ones I'd like to read...also here's a short synopsis of Gilmore Girls for those who have no clue what I'm talking about.

Set in a storybook Connecticut town populated by an eclectic mix of dreamers, artists and everyday folk, this multigenerational drama about family and friendship centers around Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter, Rory. Lorelai owns the town's bed-and-breakfast, the Dragonfly Inn, with best friend/chef Sookie, and contends with weekly dinners with eccentric, well-off parents Richard and Emily Gilmore (who always have something to say about their daughter's life).

We'll also need a manga suggestion for January too, so don't forget to suggest a few of those! Have fun coming up with ideas. :)

message 3: by Pieta (new)

Pieta | 4 comments I love love love love the Girlmore Girls! The first picture actually made me tear up ("I live in two worlds, one is the world of books" - the Valedictorian speech!) Anyway. I'm going through this list later this weekend. Do I pick some and then there's a poll or how does it work? :)

message 4: by Clémence (new)

Clémence | 117 comments Many excellent books ! Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress and Emma are indeed really good.
I'm also a big fan of Flowers for Algernon and Gone with the Wind, but this last one is really huge.

Among those I didn't read, I would chose Beloved and The Canterbury Tales.

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica Fastenau | 6 comments Love this idea! I'll have to comb through the list this weekend.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) Pieta wrote: "I love love love love the Girlmore Girls! The first picture actually made me tear up ("I live in two worlds, one is the world of books" - the Valedictorian speech!) Anyway. I'm going through this l..."

That's exactly how it works - pick a few you'd like to read with the group and post them here, and when I create the poll later, I'll add your choices. :)

message 7: by Pieta (last edited Dec 01, 2015 05:15AM) (new)

Pieta | 4 comments My picks are Rosemary's Baby (as this is what Rory quotes on her first encounter with Dean), Oliver Twist (as Rory calls Jess "Dogder" after he stole a book from her), The Scarecrow of Oz (as this sounds really interesting!) and Moby Dick, as this is Rory's first Melville. :)

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie | 38 comments My picks are "Life of Pi" and "The Red Tent"

message 9: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (dezpresso) | 1 comments Manga: In Clothes Called Fat (This is ADULT - so not sure if it's allowed), Idol Dreams, Vol. 1 A Silent Voice, Vol. 1
In Clothes Called Fat by Moyoco Anno Idol Dreams, Vol. 1 by Arina Tanemura A Silent Voice, Vol. 1 (A Silent Voice, #1) by Yoshitoki Ooima

Gilmore Picks: Emily the Strange by Roger Reger, Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wow, that is a long list! I'll have to check it out when I'm next on my pc.

It has reminded me that I wanted to find the list of books Daria read. Must find that asap!! A reading challenge for myself I thinks!!

message 11: by Heather (last edited Dec 05, 2015 07:03PM) (new)

Heather (seaanemone) | 19 comments Lots of interesting books on the Gilmore Girls list!

Manga suggestion: School-Live!, Vol. 1

Not many reviews on here, so I'll leave a link to some reviews on MAL: http://myanimelist.net/manga/55163/Ga...!

message 14: by Cass (new)

Cass | 9 comments I would say Atonement, Rosemary's Baby and Emma or Pride and Prejudice. I haven't seen any of Gilmore Girls, but am seriously impressed by Rory's reading game.