Jacci Turner, Author discussion

What books had the most impact on you as a young adult?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacci (new)

Jacci (jaccit) | 19 comments Mod
When I think about my reading life it started with horses. I didn't like reading until my best friend Julia turned me on to horse books. From there it was mysteries, like The Box Car Children. But books that I remember influencing me towards justice in middle school were:"Black like me," "Hey White Girl," and "Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad."
How about you?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments I can't say anything I read had social impact, but I've always loved SciFi. The first book I ever remember reading on my own with no pictures was The Rats of Nym. Some of my favorite books I read in high school were 1984, Cat's Cradle, and Fahrenheit 451, I also read a lot of Michael Crichton. Well, I guess as impact goes...I do have an English Literature degree!

message 3: by Jacci (new)

Lisa wrote: "I can't say anything I read had social impact, but I've always loved SciFi. The first book I ever remember reading on my own with no pictures was The Rats of Nym. Some of my favorite books I read i..."

I loved 1984 and Fahrenheit 415 but didn't read them until I was an adult. My husband and I were talking the other day about how we didn't have the "assigned reading" that everyone else seemed to in school. We went through school during a strange time (70's). Both of us remember "meditating' in our English classes! That's about all we remember about it!

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sagecreek) | 2 comments Granted there weren't nearly as many childrens books when I was in school, the books that have stayed with me are from grade school, the Howard Pease Todd Moran "tramp steamer" series, middle school The Red Planet by Robert Heinlein and high school, Black like Me.

message 5: by Jacci (new)

Sharon, I don't remember the first two. I'll have to look for those!

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sagecreek) | 2 comments That's because there weren't many books to pick from, apart from Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Boxcar Children, and The Hardy Boys. I reread The Red Planet several years ago because I remembered it as being profound. It was just a good YA novel :)

Sharon