Nature Literature discussion

Thoreau's Journals > Thoreau's Thanksgiving

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Norman | 786 comments Mod
“I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual. It is surprising how contented one can be with nothing definite - only a sense of existence. Well, anything for variety. I am ready to try this for the next ten thousand years, and exhaust it. How sweet to think of! my extremities well charred, and my intellectual part too, so that there is no danger of worm or rot for a long while. My breath is sweet to me. O how I laugh when I think of my vague indefinite riches. No run on my bank can drain it, for my wealth is not possession but enjoyment.”

― Henry David Thoreau in a letter (1856)

message 2: by Chrissy (last edited Nov 25, 2015 11:10PM) (new)

Chrissy (wildreturn) Becky wrote: "“I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual. It is surprising how contented one can be with nothing definite - only a sense of existence. Well, anything for variety...."

Yum! Thanks for that delicious quote that I'll piggyback on with a toast to another man whose words miraculously bring the marvelous out of the ineffable. Brian Swimme once waxed rhapsodic on the gift of the contemplating the cosmos when he said, "You take hydrogen gas, and you leave it alone, and it turns into rosebushes, giraffes, and humans." Like Swimme, I thank the universe for being a radiant, numinous revelation. May we all contemplate the wonders of the unfolding creativity of the cosmos and experience it as a mystical, ecstatic, awe-inspiring event - and give not simply thanks, but gush at the audactiy of such a love affair.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky Norman | 786 comments Mod
Beautiful, Chrissy - thanks!
~Becky