Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Mysteries by Era > Roman Times

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bloomsbury Publishing (bloomsbury) | 1 comments If you love historical mystery, but have devoured everything you can find in the 'mystery' section of the bookstore, I recommend you check out Ruth Downie's series on Roman Britain. Her third book, PERSONA NON GRATA is just out and there's a giveaway going on here at GoodReads right now.

Hope you enjoy!

Persona Non Grata A Novel of the Roman Empire by Ruth Downie

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 26 comments My favorite Roman series is the SPQR sereis by John Maddox Roberts

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (bamabluestocking) | 17 comments If you haven't read Steven Saylor's Gordianus mysteries, go immediately to your library or bookstore and get them!

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 26 comments I read one of them. ANd I also liked THe Silver Pigs by Lindsay Davis

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary Corby (garycorby) | 10 comments Amongst Roman mysteries:

Caroline Lawrence: the Roman Mysteries
Steven Saylor: the Gordianus stories
Lindsey Davis: The Falco stories
John Maddox Roberts: the SPQR series

message 6: by Irene (last edited Aug 16, 2009 12:49AM) (new)

Irene (ireneh) | 28 comments Arthur Bell: From the Notebooks of Pliny the Younger Series
Lindsey Davis: Marcus Didius Falco Mysteries
Ruth Downie: Gaius Petreius Ruso Series
Caroline Lawrence: the Roman Mysteries
Ben Pastor: Aelius Spartianus Mysteries
John Maddox Roberts: SPQR Series
Rosemary Rowe: Libertus Mysteries of Roman Britain
Steven Saylor: Gordianus the Finder Series
David Wishart: Marcus Valerius Corvinus Series

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary Corby (garycorby) | 10 comments Jane Finnis: Aurelia Marcella mysteries

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene (ireneh) | 28 comments What style does she write in?

message 9: by Irene (last edited Aug 16, 2009 12:53AM) (new)

Irene (ireneh) | 28 comments If you have children, I recommend Caroline Lawrence's "Roman Mysteries" series, just completed with book #16!

Her extensive website.

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary Corby (garycorby) | 10 comments Hi Irene, if you mean what style does Jane Finnis write in, then Aurelia is an innkeeper in first century Roman Britain, making a tough living and solving the odd crime. You can find her at http://www.janefinnis.com/.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (ireneh) | 28 comments I asked members of my book chat group and quickly got two positive responses too. (We are all mystery addicts.) I may put her first novel on our 2010 list.