Star Wars Reads Panel discussion

Star wars the perfect weapon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 37 comments Star Wars The Perfect Weapon (Short Story) by Delilah S. Dawson has anyone started this yet. Set six years before the force awakens.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Nicholson | 27 comments Nope. I'm too daunted to start re-reading new Star Wars books. I took all my old Star Wars books off the shelf and put them in storage because they don't mean anything anymore. Sorry, was that bitter? That was bitter, wasn't it.

message 3: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 37 comments I know that is why with the new books i have gobe digital.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil Alban | 7 comments I think it's perfectly ok to be bitter. And I was never very invested in the EU, anyway. I understand how people who were would feel badly at this point.

On an up-note, I'm reading "Lost Stars" now and it's quite good.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments I enjoyed the EU novels until the New Jedi Order series began with Vector Prime. I always meant to get that book, but I kept on putting it off. By the time that I emotionally ready to get it, the NJO series had gotten too long (even though I read the Prequel era setup novel Rogue Planet) and the EU far too convoluted with other series.

Of the new "Journey to The Force Awakens" novels/books, I've been reading Star Wars: Aftermath. It's interesting and nicely written.

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Hicks (jamiehicks73) | 31 comments I feel that EU has great stories (Shadows of the Empire) and not so great (Balance Point was a yawner sorry). We as fans want them to have continuity and fit a timeline. While a loose timeline does exist I think the way to enjoy the stories is to judge the story by it's own merits. We all have our favorite characters - try to enjoy their adventures outside the context of continuity and timeline..... The Force is with you always.....

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Jamie wrote: "I feel that EU has great stories (Shadows of the Empire) and not so great (Balance Point was a yawner sorry). We as fans want them to have continuity and fit a timeline. While a loose timeline does..."

The Jedi Healer duology kind of reminded me of a STAR WARS parody of MASH!

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments Amber wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I feel that EU has great stories (Shadows of the Empire) and not so great (Balance Point was a yawner sorry). We as fans want them to have continuity and fit a timeline. While a loose..."

I don't see the Medstar duology (Battle Surgeons and Jedi Healer) as a parody of MASH. It's more of a homage...a loving tribute, really.

Shatterpoint is Star Wars' version of "Heart of Darkness" and its Vietnam War-set version "Apocalypse Now."

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Thank you for the correction. I should have used homage in reference to the Medstar duology, rather than parody.

I guess that's why if there had been a -5star rating I'd have given SHATTERPOINT a -5star rating. I couldn't stand the original HEART OF DARKNESS to begin with... .

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie I started the other day. In ch 2 now. I think Bizine will be a great character. Not yet sure if she is good or bad.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Who?

message 12: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Coffelt | 19 comments So are the YA novels worth a read i.e. Lost Stars? I haven't gotten any of them and wondered if they were worth the time.

message 13: by Zach (new)

Zach Welp | 1 comments Timothy wrote: "So are the YA novels worth a read i.e. Lost Stars? I haven't gotten any of them and wondered if they were worth the time."

Lost Stars was one of the best Star Wars books I've read. I don't know why it was rated YA.

message 14: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Nicholson | 27 comments Alex wrote: "I enjoyed the EU novels until the New Jedi Order series began with Vector Prime. I always meant to get that book, but I kept on putting it off. By the time that I emotionally ready to get it, the N..."

I was OBSESSED with all of it. Right up to, and through, the "Fate of the Jedi" series. I followed it religiously and would count down the days until the next one would be released. It's just depressing to invest your time and money into immersing yourself into these stories and have them nullified without a second thought. It may seem immature, but my opinion on the matter is that they basically alienated the very people who kept the franchise going through dropping $25 for every hardback that came out. Don't get me wrong, I've wished for nearly 20 years that we'd see Luke Skywalker and Han Solo back on the big screen and I will probably love the new movies, but I just wish they would've considered how it would affect those fans who were totally vested in the EU before mothballing it.

message 15: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Joseph wrote: "Alex wrote: "I enjoyed the EU novels until the New Jedi Order series began with Vector Prime. I always meant to get that book, but I kept on putting it off. By the time that I emotionally ready to ..."

That's the problem, they're INCAPABLE of thinking.

message 17: by Miiyaholmes (new)

Miiyaholmes (miiyah) | 1 comments Phil wrote: "I think it's perfectly ok to be bitter. And I was never very invested in the EU, anyway. I understand how people who were would feel badly at this point.

On an up-note, I'm reading "Lost Stars" no..."

I loved Lost Stars!

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Was it any good?

message 19: by Saul (new)

Saul Perez (psaul3) | 1 comments Miiyaholmes wrote: "I loved Lost Stars! "

Lost Stars, is my favorite so far of the new canon. It tackles a long debated question of how "civil" the Galactic Civil War really took a toll on the citizens of the galaxy.

Not to mention the long running joke of storm troopers who had friends on the Death Star and their emotional responses to such an event of their destruction. We get a good wrap-around story surrounding the entire original trilogy and a few years after Battle of Endor to get a better look at the state of the Galaxy.

Great characters, development, plot, tie-ins, emotional cues. You can really choose either side and not feel guilty of the choices each character makes.

message 20: by Mike (new)

Mike Norford | 2 comments Lords of the Sith is a great new canon book. If you can,check out episodes 19,20, and 21 of the Clone Wars series(it is on Netflix). before reading it. I'm about half way through Aftermath right now and it is starting to get pretty good

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Saul wrote: "Miiyaholmes wrote: "I loved Lost Stars! "

Lost Stars, is my favorite so far of the new canon. It tackles a long debated question of how "civil" the Galactic Civil War really took a toll on the cit..."

As Axl Rose said at the end of the Guns N' Roses song CIVIL WAR "What's so civil about war, anyway?"

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 2 comments The story seemed adequate but not particularly gripping. Plus all the short stories are on SUCH MINOR characters that from the start we're not very invested. Now assassin lady has a bit of a past and backstory. Okay...

message 23: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments i think their is a star wars 8

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Not until NEXT year, Ace.

message 25: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments i know

message 26: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments but still it might be a good one

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Anything JJ does has to be better than the prequels, ESPECIALLY JAR JAR BINKS!

message 28: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments What happened to him anyway

message 29: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments WHO CARES?!

message 30: by Chad (new)

Chad Descoteaux | 14 comments They need to show Jar Jar's death at one point. Maybe a flashback where some baddie manipulated him and then chopped his head off. That'd be funny. His read rolling on the ground, hindered by his floppy ears. (Flop flop flop flop flop flop)

message 31: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments I think I seen him as a senator in the new movie or something like that but i seen him somewhere in the movie.

message 32: by Chad (new)

Chad Descoteaux | 14 comments He was a Senator in episode 2 and 3, but he wasn't in the new movie (episode 7).

message 33: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments yeah but he appeared by princess leia in the 7th.

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments No one I went to the theater with on the 20th December said ANYTHING about Gag Gag Binks being in Episode VII, Gretel.

message 35: by Chad (last edited Apr 19, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Chad Descoteaux | 14 comments Did you just confuse Admiral Ackbar with Jar Jar Binks?

message 36: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments I think she might have. *sigh* Not knowing the difference between a Mon Calamari and a Gungan...that's a newb's mistake.

message 37: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments i'm a dude

message 38: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments and i'm not confused. confused you are troubling paths ahead their is.

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments You're still a newb if you mistake a Mon Cal for a Gungan. Plus you have bad grammar. It should be "there is," NOT "their is."

message 40: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments what ever and i'm not a newb i didn't mistake Mon Cal for a Gungan ok I think I saw him It might have been in the flashback though.

message 41: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Coffelt | 19 comments Not that we need one, but that sounds like a great excuse to watch it again just to make sure!

message 42: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments True but its not an excuse its the truth its when rey finds the lightsaber

message 43: by Chad (new)

Chad Descoteaux | 14 comments When Rey finds the lightsaber, she hears Yoda and Obi-Wan, not Jar-Jar. And Leia's not in that scene.

message 44: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 11 comments while i think i saw him or he might be supreme leader snuke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 45: by Yazir (new)

Yazir Paredes (jazzpty) | 1 comments The Perfect Weapon
Well I read it last month. It was a fun read about a great bounty hunter.
There is a theory going around the internet that **spoilers**
**spoilers**

the package she retrieves is Darth Vader's burnt helmet that was being stored by a former Stormtrooper that served on the Moon of Endor

message 46: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments It's SNOKE, not Snuke, Gretel! Learn how to spell properly!

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Baker | 2 comments If we are discussing the perfect weapon then the light sabor I must say is exquisite. It makes no sense but its so enchanting that I just fell in love with it.

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 257 comments Sarah, you ALSO need to learn how to spell. "Sabor" is Spanish for "flavor." "Lightflavor" makes no damn sense in the context of STAR WARS. It's LIGHTSABER.

message 49: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Coffelt | 19 comments The only flavor of a lightsaber....is death!

message 50: by Alex (new)

Alex Diaz-Granados | 51 comments Timothy wrote: "The only flavor of a lightsaber....is death!"

It might have a smell of ozone, though. :)

« previous 1