Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Novel Suggestions Request

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sy' (new)

Sy' Urie | 6 comments Hey Everyone,

So I am a budding writer, but I need some supplementary reading materials to assist with my inspiration. I was wondering if someone could suggest some novels that are in between the YA genre and Adult genre. More on the paranormal/fantasy side, with bits and pieces of romance mixed in. Novels with the female character being the heroine and doesn’t have the normal race being Caucasian. 

The novel that I am currently working on starts in the YA genre, but I would like to continue my series into the lead characters adulthood.

Please and Thank you and Happy Holidays!

message 2: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah. J Maas. I'm not sure about the race thing though.

message 3: by Sy' (new)

Sy' Urie | 6 comments Thanks, I'll take a look. Race isn't to much of a factor, but my Main character is of African American and Japanese decent. So I wanted to incorporate the culture.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Cresswell (lisa_cresswell) | 6 comments Check out The Mark of Noba by GL Tomas. A great multicultural fantasy series~

message 5: by Sy' (new)

Sy' Urie | 6 comments Thanks Lisa, I'll look into that now.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Cresswell (lisa_cresswell) | 6 comments Its by a pair of twin sisters I met on Twitter. They're super supportive of multicultural authors. Awesome people. :)

message 7: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments Sy' wrote: "Thanks, I'll take a look. Race isn't to much of a factor, but my Main character is of African American and Japanese decent. So I wanted to incorporate the culture."

I'm more familiar with young adult. Cinder is Chinese, but it's a young adult book.

message 8: by Samantha (last edited Nov 28, 2015 04:26PM) (new)

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Bloodworth (lindabloodworthauthor) My novel is YA paranormal/fantasy with bits of romance and a strong female lead. ;)
A Raven's Touch

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Woods (theemmawoods) | 23 comments I, too, have a novel that is YA scifi/fantasy w/ a very strong female protagonist and a bit of romance... being as this is a dystopian world that is men vs women, race isn't a "main topic", but there some racial differences in the characters. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 11: by Christine (last edited Feb 01, 2016 08:50PM) (new)

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Heffner | 89 comments Wow, where do I begin! I second the Mark of Noba and A Court of Thorns and Roses. Also, please find more:

1. Eon by Alison Goodman (inspired by Chinese mythology)
2. Promise of Shadows by Justina Ireland (inspired by Greek mythology)
3. Raised by Sharon Stevenson (diverse urban fantasy)
4. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir (historical fantasy, think Rome civilization)
5. Gilded by Christina Farley (YA but Korean mythology)
6. The Young Elites by Marie Lieu (Romanesque but features diverse cast, main character is anti-hero)
7. The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova (mermaids/mermen diverse fantasy)
8. Sanctum by Sarah Fine (Latina main character; afterlife fantasy)

Some of these may be more YA, but they are highly enjoyable, creative, and have adult situations

message 13: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Dyer (madelinedyer) | 5 comments I also have a traditionally published novel that fits this! UNTAMED is a dystopian fantasy, and the MC is a person of colour. My publisher ended up marketing this as "edgy YA" as it falls between YA and adult.

message 14: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne Campbell | 2 comments My latest novella series' main character is African-American and it's a sci-fi horror erotica fantasy series. For Inspiration you can check out excerpts here:

https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

message 15: by Jim (last edited Jul 13, 2016 09:17AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Sy' wrote: "Hey Everyone,

So I am a budding writer, but I need some supplementary reading materials to assist with my inspiration. I was wondering if someone could suggest some novels that are in between the ..."

Sy',

The post-apocalyptic/speculative novel Levels allows the reader to follow six main characters, representative of diverse races, lifestyles and philosophies, from age 11 through their early 30s. Therefore, it may prove helpful in the development and evolution of your approach in gradually advancing your diverse YA characters to the next stage - adulthood.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

I wish you success.
Jim Vuksic - Author
http://jimvuksic.tateauthor.com/

message 16: by Carla (new)

Carla Roberts | 1 comments I've just read Haunted Tree (The Magus Family Chronicles, #1) by Scott Robert Scheller for the third time. Does anyone know of other books like it?

message 17: by Sy' (new)

Sy' Urie | 6 comments Thank you all for the response! It helped alot. I was able to write 38 pages and then got writer's block. Is anyone up for reading my jumbled thoughts and giving me some good sugguestions?