Inkshares Community discussion

Johnslist > Let's get BLUE WATER into Quill! [ending soon]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orneck (amandaorneck) I just fell head over heels in love with a book, Blue Water by Joseph Parcell. It's a seat-of-your-pants psychological sci-fi thriller that made me angry this morning that I couldn't read the entire book.

Joseph only has 21 days left to fund, and he's at 94 preorders, so he definitely needs Johnslist. I know the timing is bad with a push on Children of the Forest, but maybe we can back this one afterward? Guys, do it for me. I will probably have a nervous breakdown if I don't get to read the rest of this book.

message 2: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Weston (acwestonwrites) | 191 comments Mod
Amanda... what if we try out something new with this one? Blue Water needs 156 more order in three weeks. I'm not saying it won't reach Quill, but let's talk about what to do if it doesn't.

John was talking about the idea of catching authors whose campaigns don't reach production and planning a supported re-launch. What if we try this for Blue Water?

We could organize ourselves better so we can invite authors into a "re-launch preparation", maybe? We could band together and come up with solid covers, a promo video, a few pieces of art, reviews, promotional text, and maybe a plan for some blog posts throughout the campaign? Then, when everything is ready, the author can relaunch and hopefully reach publication.

I think we can help authors who make it part of the way, but don't quite reach Quill, to relaunch and be successful.

What are your thoughts on this?

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orneck (amandaorneck) I think it sounds good, I just have to make sure that Joseph is up for the rebuilding of a campaign. I don't know what his ultimate goal is for the book, and I think the decision would be up to him on whether it's worth the effort to ramp up a second time.

♠ Tabi⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) A relaunch programs sounds awesome too! Keep the ideas coming, Cara =D

message 5: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Weston (acwestonwrites) | 191 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "I think it sounds good, I just have to make sure that Joseph is up for the rebuilding of a campaign. I don't know what his ultimate goal is for the book, and I think the decision would be up to him..."

Yeah, it definitely depends on the author. I was just throwing out one possible idea, but it's totally up to him. I think anyone would need some time to relax and reset after a campaign ends, so maybe we could propose a start date... a month after the campaign ends? Two months? I'm sure it'll be different for every author. But if we don't want to totally lose him we should talk to him about it sooner rather than later.

message 6: by Mykl (new)

Mykl Walsh (RFSaunders) | 149 comments I wasn't even aware that "re-launch" is an option. Is there somewhere on Inkshares that explains this? I've seen existing campaigns get extensions, but haven't noticed any re-launches.

I know that on Kickstarter, you only get one shot - if your campaign fails, you aren't allowed to start another campaign with the same product.

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Parcell | 6 comments Hey everybody,

First, let me say, I am humbled greatly by the interest in helping Blue Water make the Quill goal. And thank you to Amanda for starting the ball rolling. I'm glad you enjoy the book so much, and the notes you left made my day.

A little backstory: I'm a graduate of the New York Film Academy, and Blue Water was originally a screenplay that I had planned on filming as a contained episodic series. The screenplay was finished in 2012, and in early 2013 my wife and I found out we were expecting our first kid. So all my extra time and money were subsequently diverted. Recently The Nerdist introduced me to Inkshares, and I converted the dusty screenplay to a novel. It's my first attempt at writing a book, and we obviously fell short of the Nerdist Collection goal, and after that the momentum kind of died.

Then Amanda found Blue Water, and here we are.

I do have a couple questions. This is not my typical arena. If the Inkshares thing doesn't work out, I have no real idea of my next course of action. I've never tried publishing a book before, and honestly have only a vague notion of how it all works.

So how realistic is 150 more preorders in 18 days? Should the focus be on a re-launch or on trying to make the finish line this round? And if Blue Water doesn't make it this round, what would be the other options outside of Inkshares? I know Amazon does an on demand publishing, and a Kindle option. Does it make sense to pursue the big five for a first time author with no agent? I'd love to get this book in people's hands, but I don't want to sell it short if it might have the potential to do more. Or is that just wishful naivety?

Thank you again for finding Blue Water, and your interest in helping me out here. I really am humbled and excited for what comes next.

Joseph Parcell

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orneck (amandaorneck) Welcome Joseph!

I'm just jumping in here because as Joseph knows, I'm super excited about his book.

Publishing comes in a couple of flavors, at it all depends on what your ultimate goal is. For personal projects, ones where you just want to get it out there but aren't that interested in getting it read by a larger audience, there are the vanity publishers. These will help with all the steps you need in exchange for a fee. This is recommended for books like family memoirs where the ultimate goal is just to record something down for posterity.

The next step up would be self-publishing. This is where you take on all the tasks of publishing a book -- editing, cover design, layout, purchasing ISBNs, and marketing -- on your own. This is recommended for books that might see a limited distribution or where an author has already invested a sufficient amount in a project in one or more of these areas that they don't feel like losing that time/money submitting the book to a publisher. This is the option where you get the highest percentage of the income generated from your book, as you are distributing it yourself or through Amazon or Ingram.

After that there's small press publishing. This is where you submit your book to one of the thousands of independent publishers out there in hopes of seeing it published and distributed in a limited run, usually 500 copies or so. You might get an advance on your sales, but often times you are merely getting a cut of the net sales. In some ways Inkshares fits into this model, since they are helping with distribution, marketing, and presales on books.

Lastly there are the big publishers, which require gatekeepers in the form of agents. I don't have much experience with successful interaction with agents, but I have read up on the process. Generally the traditionally published book gets an advance based on what the publisher sees as its potential for profit, and then a royalty on net sales. There are huge advantages here, since you have the entire publishing machine behind you, but all that comes at a price, usually spent in the difficulty of getting in the door, time it takes to get your book processed, and the high percentage the publisher takes from the sales of your book.

In the end, it's up you to decide what your desired outcome is for your book. Having an excellent story is the first step, and you have that. But what does success look like to you with respect to your book? Does having it in limited distribution appeal to you if it happens quickly (or immediately), or does the thought of holding out for an agent? Because there's a publishing spectrum, it's important to start with what you want your book to become.

I myself was looking to get income as quickly as possible from my books so I decided to go with the self-publishing route because I had the book already to head onto the Amazon Kindle store before the Nerdist contest dropped out of the sky. Had I had more interest with Inkshares I probably would have continued with that route, but Shadow of the Owl was largely ignored. Now that is probably a testament to the quality of the writing, or to my lack of ability as a marketer when it comes to my own work, so I am trying again to build interest with the second book in the series.

For me success looks like selling 1000 books a month. I am fine with doing the work on that myself, which is why I started my own small press. I was not fine with waiting for any more time on a book that I had been writing for 20 years. I wanted to get it out there and read. But that is my path. Yours might look very different.

Once you know what your success looks like, you can then decide on the publishing route that best gets you there. All I know is that I believe in your book, and I want to help in whatever way I can.

message 9: by John (new)

John Robin (john_robin) | 299 comments Joseph wrote: "how realistic is 150 more preorders in 18 days? Should the focus be on a re-launch or on trying to make the finish line this round? And if Blue Water doesn't make it this round, what would be the other options outside of Inkshares? "

I think creating these incentives is a great idea no matter what timer is ticking. In fact, it's great for us to jump on board great projects we're passionate about later in the game as much as earlier, since of course we can collaborate and carry energy forward, be it in an Inkshares re-launch, or helping make a strategy for other alternatives.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Parcell | 6 comments I'm in. Here's what I can bring to the table.

The video on the Inkshares site "Early Treatment of Mental Disorders" was originally designed as a teaser for the series. It seemed to be a unique way to advertise the book too when the contest launched. Since my wheelhouse is originally in film and visual effects, I could put together any type of AV presentation. Be it a talking head call to action video or something more creepy and creative like the teaser, but with more specifics. Or both. Or both in one video.

There is a second teaser I designed, but it launches with the Coughing Dog Pictures logo (my production house). I didn't remove it for the purposes of the contest, because I figured it might be redundant to have two teasers designed the same way. But that video is here: https://vimeo.com/68927336

I've reached out to a few local reader groups in Michigan, and specifically the East Lansing (where I live) book groups in an effort to drum up a little "local boy does good" support. But I haven't hit very hard. Just basically Facebook pages, etc. I can put together fliers or cards and hit up coffee shops, libraries, bookstores, etc.

I've reached out to our Facebook fans for The Coughing Dog Pictures and for our feature Being From Another Planet and let them know that this is our newest project. Perhaps a Facebook page specifically for the book? Is that redundant, what with the Inkshares page?

Other than that, does anyone have any other ideas? My mom has already bought ten.

Thank you guys again for your help on this.