All About Books discussion

Reads & Challenges Archive > Myst's 2016 TBR

Comments Showing 1-50 of 140 (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Myst (last edited Dec 28, 2016 05:37PM) (new)

Myst | 494 comments This year I got a touch ambitious and much sidetracked. I had planned to read 200 (new to me) books, and ended up doing a re-read of a series with 30ish books in it. Then I just wasn't getting through books quick enough.

So for 2016, I plan to have 100-125 'must reads', leaving 50-100 insert as desired books. Here's the remains of my 2015 tbr list which will become the 2016 list (with a few removed that I *do* plan to finish this year).

Maggie Shayne
Demon's Kiss 1/4
Angel's Pain 1/18
Bloodline 1/26
Strangers In The Night 2/6
Born In Twilight 2/24
Brides of the Night 2/28
Twilight Prophecy (Wings in the Night, #17) 2/7
Vacation with a Vampire...and Other Immortals 2/28
Twilight Fulfilled (Wings in the Night, #18) 3/17

J.D. Robb
Purity in Death 1/28
Portrait in Death 2/25
Imitation in Death 4/18
Big Jack 5/26
Divided in Death 7/10
Visions in Death 10/2
Survivor In Death 11/14
Origin in Death 12/22

Covert 1 novels
The Altman Code 1/7
The Lazarus Vendetta 2/27
The Moscow Vector
6/30
The Arctic Event 9/4
The Ares Decision 10/24
The Janus Reprisal 11/7
The Utopia Experiment 11/12
The Geneva Strategy 11/22
Robert Ludlum's The Patriot Attack 11/26

Love comes softly
Love's Enduring Promise 2/8
Love's Long Journey 2/9
Love's Abiding Joy 2/9
Love's Unending Legacy 4/15
Love's Unfolding Dream 4/18
Love Takes Wing 5/27
Love Finds a Home 7/9

Robin Cook
Coma 1/8
Brain 1/17
Fever 2/1
Mindbend 2/15
Harmful Intent 4/12
Vital Signs 4/15
Terminal 4/26
Toxin 5/2
Fatal Cure 5/21
Vector 7/9
Seizure 7/14
Marker 7/19
Crisis 7/31
Foreign Body 7/31
Intervention 8/22
Cure 9/10
Death Benefit 9/13
Nano 9/26
I've given up on Robin's books as the past few have been not very enjoyable
Cell
Host

Beledor
Witchlock 9/25

Gena Showalter
The Darkest Fire 1/16
The Darkest Surrender 1/16
The Darkest Seduction 2/11
The Darkest Craving 2/18
The Darkest Touch 3/20

Jeffrey Deaver
The Bone Collector 1/30
The Coffin Dancer 5/5
The Empty Chair 7/22
The Stone Monkey
The Vanished Man
The Twelfth Card
The Cold Moon
The Broken Window
The Burning Wire
The Kill Room
The Skin Collector
The Steel Kiss

Estep
Web of Lies 1/26
Venom 2/7
Tangled Threads 3/18
Spider’s Revenge 7/23
Thread of Death
By a Thread 8/28
Widow’s Web 11/7
Deadly Sting 11/8
Heart of Venom
The Spider
Poison Promise
Black Widow
Spider's Trap
Bitter Bite
Unraveled

Faith Hunter
Skinwalker 3/25
Blood Cross 4/8
Mercy Blade 4/30
Raven Cursed 6/1
Death's Rival 6/17
Blood Trade 7/7
Black Arts 7/21
Broken Soul 8/14
Dark Heir 8/18
Shadow Rites 9/23

New Releases:
Feb 23: Runaway Vampire - Sands 2/27
Mar 8: Fire Touched - Briggs 3/17
Mar 15: Dark Promises - feehan 3/20
April 5: The Beast - ward 4/10
May 3: Invision - kenyon 5/31
May 31: The Darkest Torment - showalter 6/23
June 7: End of Watch - king 6/20
june 21: Born of Legend - kenyon 6/25
june 28: Shadow Rider-feehan 11/27
Aug 2: Dragonmark - kenyon 8/4
Aug 2: Dark Carousel - feehan 8/4
Sept 20: Immortal Nights - sands 10/7
Oct 4: Undead and Done - davidson 10/28
Oct 4: Without Mercy: A Body Farm Novel - bass 10/31
I decided to not read Crimson Death after I heard how vile it is
oct 11: Crimson Death - hamilton
Nov 1: Archangel's Heart - singh 12/10
nov 1: Shadowed Souls - butcher 12/8
nov 1:The Bone Collection: Four Novellas - reichs 12/10
nov 1: Curse on the Land - hunter 12/13
nov 15: Chaos - cornwell 12/7
Nov 29: Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis - rice 12/3
dec 6: Blood Vow - ward 12/20

Horror Challenge (aiming for 2 of the 4):
20th Century Ghosts 7/16
The Funhouse 5/7
Hell House
The Silence of the Lambs

Horror
Horns 2/13
The Historian
Christine 12/28
The Dead Zone 4/4
The Funhouse 5/7
Cujo 9/1
The Secret Of Crickley Hall 11/19

Off My Physical Shelf:
Anything in italics
Kiss of Crimson 1/9
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children 3/26
Night Vision 10/13
Born in Blood 11/4
Ink and Bone 12/23

Classics TBD: Hopefully 10-12.
The Little Prince 1/7
Heidi 1/11
A Tale of Two Cities 1/19
Penny Dreadful Presents ... The Body Snatcher and The Strange Bed (Illustrated): A Penny Dreadful Double-Bill 2/4
Treasure Island 3/26
Of Mice and Men 2/21
The Woman in White 6/14
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame 4/23
Animal Farm 7/7
Oedipus Rex 7/8
Oedipus at Colonus 7/25
Antigone 7/25
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer 8/21
The Call of the Wild 9/4
The Odyssey 10/27
The Invisible Man 10/30
The Picture of Dorian Gray 11/19
Divine Comedy: Purgatory 11/22
The Merchant of Venice 11/30
Dante's Paradise 12/12
The Castle in Transylvania 12/18

Kindle Clearing: As many as possible!
Heidi 1/11
A Tale of Two Cities 1/19
Zane's Tale 1/7
Quinn, a Vampire Watcher's Story 1/8
Dark Horse 1/11
A Touch of Midnight 1/18
The Mummy Case 1/20
Hail Mary 1/23
Penny Dreadful Presents ... The Body Snatcher and The Strange Bed (Illustrated): A Penny Dreadful Double-Bill 2/4
The Jaguar Dances 2/5
Blood Lust 2/12
Moon River 2/21
Treasure Island 3/26
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame 4/23
The Woman in White 6/14
The Oedipus Cycle: Oedipus Rex/Oedipus at Colonus/Antigone 7/25
The Call of the Wild 9/4
Hell Hounds Are For Suckers 9/5
Death's Servant 9/6
Just One Taste 9/7
Grave Danger 9/10
Elegantly Undead 10/9
The Odyssey 10/27
The Invisible Man 10/30
Chelsea, The Vampire Experiment - 2nd Installment 11/3
Vampire Vacation 11/5
Another Sip Part 1 Intro: The Hunt 11/9
The Picture of Dorian Gray 11/19
Divine Comedy: Purgatory 11/22
The Bite Before Christmas 11/24
Chasing the Ripper 11/24
Fat Vampire 12/1
Christmas of the Vampire 12/8
Dante's Paradise 12/12
Moon Bayou 12/16

A-Z Challenge
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

A-Z Challenge 2

Page Goal

Take a Bite out of those Chunksters

Book Riot

Feb Challenges
X & O's: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Back to Basics: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

March Challenge
Book to Movie: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

April Challenge
April Showers: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

May
Offbeat Holidays: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

June
June Facts: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Getting Back to Paranormal Roots:

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Looks good Myst!

message 3: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Not including J.D. Robbs, I think the current list is at 81.

I suspect there will be more new releases added in and dates added, but not every author has a confirmed date out yet (or title heh).

message 4: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I'm going to keep attempting my goal of reading and deleting more books off the kindle than adding. So as of Jan 1, I've only 'bought' 1 book (freebie), and I've cleared 1 off the account so far.

I did really bad in dec for buying kindle freebies, I bought 11. 2 were for jan read-a-longs though.

message 5: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I've bought another kindle freebie, but I've read 3 more for a total of 4 read (and deleted), so, I'm doing good so far in reading more than I buy.

I'm working on another kindle book, and have 3 novellas waiting in the wings, so hopefully I'll end up with 2 bought, 8 read by the end of January.

message 6: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Bought yet another (classic) freebie. Still working on A Tale of Two Cities, but hopefully I'll finish it in the next 1-3 days.

3 bought, 4 read.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Myst wrote: "3 bought, 4 read."

You are doing better than me in that regard! I have read 6 books I already owned but have acquired 14!

message 8: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13036 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "Myst wrote: "3 bought, 4 read."

You are doing better than me in that regard! I have read 6 books I already owned but have acquired 14!"

LOL!
I've learnt from my relatively recent moving houses: no more books. At least no more paper books! So I've read 9, bought only one!!!

message 9: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Well when I got the kindle, I went on a free book spree. I've still got 700 some books I've never read, and thats after deleting dozens I don't expect to ever read.

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Myst wrote: "Well when I got the kindle, I went on a free book spree. I've still got 700 some books I've never read, and thats after deleting dozens I don't expect to ever read."

Most of my new books are free Kindle books (10 out of 16 -- yes, my total acquisitions has already increased by 2!) -- it is so hard to say no when they don't cost anything! But I should probably follow your example and go through & delete some of the hundreds I have on my Kindle.

message 11: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments 6 kindle books read and deleted, 3 bought.

message 12: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments 7 kindle books read & deleted, 3 bought ^_^

message 13: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments 8 kindle books read and deleted with only 3 bought.

message 14: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments So Jan is almost over and I've got 10 TBR's (soon to be 11) knocked out, 2 off the physical shelf, 8 kindle books cleared, and 3 classics read. I may squeeze another kindle book in on the 31st as I'm halfway through it.

I also managed to squeeze in 2 other books and a novella not on the above list.

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Good start to the year :)

message 16: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Another kindle book cleared!

9 kindle books cleared, 3 bought.

message 17: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Another kindle book done!

10 cleared, 3 bought!

message 18: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Deleted a Sherlock Holmes book I'd apparently already read. 11 cleared, 3 bought!

message 19: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Doing really well to get some series/authors out of the way. I'm a bit ahead of where I planned to be on the Gena Showalter series, I'm humming away on catching up on Robin Cook's books, doing well on the Maggie Shayne's considering my library doesn't have any of them.

I finally got the first Jeffrey Deaver read, on the fence about the series, but I think I'll give it another go.

Tried a new series; Joanne Fluke's series about a bakery owner solving murders; big no go. Purposefully excluding the police in the investigation and questioning suspects/witnesses that the police should be questioning turned me off.

I've worked on a bit of everything on the tbr list except the horror section (I've got Horns in my pile from the library currently), and the new releases (which I can't do until the first release is out).

message 20: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments 2 more kindle books deleted. Was going through my pile, found 2 I'd read and doubt I'll ever re-read so bye bye!

13 cleared, 3 bought!

message 21: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Another kindle short deleted!

14 cleared, 3 bought!

message 22: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I was going to try The Taste of Night after being on the fence after book 1, but it appears all the books in the series in the library have disappeared except for book 3.

I hadn't officially put the Zodiac series on this tbr list, but it's now off since acquiring a mediocre series through ILL or a friend is pointless.

So I'm going to try the Fever series by Karen Marie Morning to replace the Zodiac series. (Gotta love when nothing on your tbr seems to be available at the library...)

message 23: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Just bought another freebie on kindle.

14 cleared, 4 bought.

message 24: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments 15 kindle books cleared, 4 bought.

message 25: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I read Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke (finally) after hearing Joanne Fluke would be doing a talk nearby recently. I didn't really enjoy the book since the MC whined that the police weren't investigating the murder, and she was doing all the work, despite her commenting to herself that she wasn't keeping the police informed.

I checked the reviews for other books in the series and it doesn't sound like the books get any 'smarter'. So I went to the talk to see if I liked the author. She kept repeating the same information over and over and seemed to try too much to be 'funny' at times. So I've officially given up on the series.

message 26: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Just picked up another freebie kindle book.

14 cleared, 5 bought!

message 27: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Bought another freebie last night. The library copy of Treasure Island was driving me bananas, so I'll read it on kindle.

14 cleared, 6 bought.

message 28: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I bought yet another freebie.

14 cleared, 7 bought.

Basically haven't finished any books until the 15th, so I'm having to play massive catch up.

message 29: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments But you are still ahead!

message 30: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Finally caught up on 2 series (not including the spin-offs of either series). The newest release for one of the series is at the end of may.

Despite that, I think my tbr for the year has gotten out of control as I added another series for a group read in...One book every 3 weeks, but that will still take until september to finish.

And one of my replacement series appears to have 2 new releases a year...which is going to bite to catch up with.

Must stop stressing...that'll only make the tbr list look longer...

message 31: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments 15 cleared, 7 bought.

message 32: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Bought another freebie >.<

15 cleared, 8 bought.

message 33: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Argh, bought yet another book! I'm still ahead, but losing ground fast.

15 cleared, 9 bought.

message 34: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I'm weak! I've bought yet another book. This year just seems to have too many good sounding freebies compared to previous years!

15 cleared, 10 bought.

message 35: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I've finally gotten a book OFF the kindle account!

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo is now done.

16 cleared, 10 bought.

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Myst wrote: "I've finally gotten a book OFF the kindle account!

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo is now done.

16 cleared, 10 bought."

That is a chunkster!! I haven't read The Hunchback but did read Les Mis - did it have chapters of stuff unrelated to the main plot? That was my biggest complaint about Hugo's writing.

message 37: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I skimmed probably 10% of the book which was architecture descriptions of Notre Dame? and the surrounding areas.

The Feast of Fools was a bit wordy as well, but at least you could visualize what was going on instead of assuming the architecture details are of the cathedral.

Beyond that, the story moved well.

I was trying to envision the city as compared with The Three Musketeers or A Tale of Two Cities and you almost can't. 3M & ToTC don't describe much about the cathedral, or the various walls the city was built in, or island.

message 38: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I bought another freebie. (Can I guilt less as I'm mostly buying classics over freebie trash?)

16 cleared, 11 bought.

message 39: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Been busy with next to no time to read or keep up with this thread. So finally updated with what little's been read, and I've been naughty...bought more kindle books, but I've finally finished The Woman in White which means 17 cleared.

So 17 cleared, 13 bought.

message 40: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Beginning to wonder if I bit off more than I could chew. I joined a read-a-long of a series and that seems to have thrown me off. Despite finishing 2 series, I still don't feel like I've accomplished anything. I'm several books behind for Robin Cook, and despite attempting to get at least 1 book of every series each month, some series I have hardly touched.

Maybe I've been getting through too many chunky classics...I've read 10 books of 489+ pages so far this year. My alphabet challenge at least isn't dragging my reading down as that's 19/26 complete.

6 physical books off the shelf are read, 5 of which are now in the donate pile.

Must read faster...

message 41: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 1278 comments I have the same problem with Robin Hobb ... loads of her books on the pile and have been reading shorter ones though I should get back to book 3 of the second Hobb trilogy. Find really long books too much of a slog at present.

message 42: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Well I'm ahead of where I'd anticipated regarding classics, but I'm almost not reading classics except for read-a-longs so to stop reading them is illogical. Actually all of my classics were read-a-longs except for a penny dreadful double bill (2 short stories).

My tbr doesn't have too many chunky books on it, but it's still pretty darn long...

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Myst wrote: "Beginning to wonder if I bit off more than I could chew. ...
Must read faster..."

lol -- sounds like something I could have written! Especially the "must read faster" bit :D

But on a more serious note, if the challenges begin to feel like a drag rather than fun, go ahead and dump them! Or just give yourself a break to "free read" what you feel like regardless of whether it fits your stated goals or not.

message 44: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Well if monthly challenges don't fit into my tbr, I don't do them. And I most definitely don't participate in every read-a-long or buddy read.

I sort of want to read Gone with the Wind, but I don't feel like another 1,000 page monster. I'm going to try to get Animal farm done as that's not too long.

Maybe my problem is not enough of my tbr is paranormal...I've got a bunch of "medical mystery" type series this year.

message 45: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments 2 books finished today. 1 off the tbr, 1 was Animal Farm. Officially have read 10 classics.

Time to make a big push on getting some Robin Cooks read.

message 46: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Finished Oedipus Rex earlier today. Working on the second Oedipus book as well as Vector.

message 47: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Finished Vector, started Love Finds a Home.

Then I decided to check out my publication date stats to see what Oedipus Rex did to them...oh my word...the stats graph is now utterly useless. I thought adding in Don Quixote made it less than ideal... GR really needs to make it scrollable or in 2 sections or something so that one can actually see their books from the 1700's and on in anything but a smudge of blue.

After LFaH I think I'll work on Divided in Death then Seizure.

message 48: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Finished LFaH and DiD.

Started Seizure and have designated it my 'outside reading' book as it's a paperback I own. My evening book will be 20th Century Ghosts so I can get my horror challenge out of the way.

message 49: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Finally started getting more Robin Cooks out of the way. Seizure was a letdown. Too much backstory/running around to be able to get to the medical portion, yet all the backstory/running around was necessary. The ending was a disgrace as well, nothing was resolved.

message 50: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments 20th Century Ghosts done. Some stories were excellent, some were meh.

Lets see if the next Robin Cook book is any better than Seizure was.

« previous 1 3