Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Waiting. . .

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments . . . is so hard! I finished the Popsugar challenge a couple weeks ago and was initially excited to have some time left in 2015 to read from my TBR list. However, I find myself saving books because I want to use them for the 2016 challenge. For example, several members of my book club, including my daughter and myself, are reading The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patric Rothfuss. There is a side book (The Slow Regard of Silent Things) that I want to use for the between the numbers week. I read very few series, so finding one was a challenge in itself. My daughter had the nerve to buy and read the book last week, taunt me with statements like, "You are really going to like ______ about this one," and then leave it sitting on the pile IN MY BEDROOM. I cannot let myself read it until the very end of December so that I can finish it on January 1 so that it counts. Sigh. Have I mentioned that patience is not my best characteristic?

message 2: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I still have five books left and I was desperate thinking "I am not going to make it! " but now, thanks to you, I am happy because I am still doing the 2015 PopSugar Reading Challenge :-P (kidding, I am still desperate)

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments Lol, Silvia. Wanna trade places? ;-)

message 4: by Jean (new)

Jean Cole (joc724) | 328 comments Joy I am so with you. I too am saving The Slow Regard of Silent Things for my inter numbers week. And for the "book you meant to read" I have All the Light We Cannot See sitting in my bedroom saying "Read Me! Read Me!" Not that I won't have plenty to do between now and Jan 1. Happy Holidays Everybody!

message 5: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm looking forward to the 2016 RC but I've around 22 books left in my 2015 TBR, so it's very nice to have a break between the 2 challenges :)

message 6: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments Heh, I created my alphabet challenges to have stuff to read from my bookshelf now that my 60 in 2015 GR challenge is done. I might also want to read something in parallel with 52. It was oddly relaxing to sort all books in the shelf in a new way, and I've handled almost all fiction volumes now (KonMari anyone?).

Have you read all books at home that aren't already earmarked for this or another challenge? Or do you have an ebooks library service available like OverDrive? Just helping you add to your TBR ;)

message 7: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments I have been organizing and exploring today too, Anglaea. And I will ALWAYS accept help adding to my TBR list, although there already more books on my shelves at home and in the office than I can finish in this lifetime (and I use my local library's Overdrive subscription regularly). Just another day in the life of a bookworm. :-D

message 8: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments P.s. Sorry for misspelling your name, Aglaea

message 9: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments Glad the help was/is welcome! No worries about the name, it's happened before and will again I'm sure :)

message 10: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments I am in the same boat! I finished the Popsugar challenge a while back, and have since finished the Book Riot Read Harder challenge (24 books) and have 3 books to go in the Popsugar Fall challenge (16 books). I have a challenge addiction, I think.

I feel a bit like when I look at my clothes & think "Gah, I have nothing to wear!". I look at my bookshelves and my Kindle and I think "Gah, I have nothing to read!" ... neither being at all true. Although I've just dumped a bunch of non-challenge books onto my Kindle to hopefully inspire me.

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments It's true, waiting is hard! I tried to put all the best books I had on my TBR in 2016, so now I have to think about what to read before the end of the year...

I just discovered that you can export your books in an Excel file, this is amazing! I'm an Excel freak, I love spreadsheets, I'm going to use this to filter out the books to read that aren't planned for 2016 and see if inspiration strikes...

message 12: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments Jody wrote: "I am in the same boat! I finished the Popsugar challenge a while back, and have since finished the Book Riot Read Harder challenge (24 books) and have 3 books to go in the Popsugar Fall challenge (..."

Wait, there's a Popsugar fall challenge? Oooooh, I must go see. :-)

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 136 comments I am so with you! As soon as I finished my list I wanted to get started on it!

message 14: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Sophie wrote: "I just discovered that you can export your books in an Excel file"

Oh. My. GOD.

I can't tell you how excited this makes me.

And how sad that makes me that this is enough to excite me.

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Haha Jody I'm glad to hear I'm not the only excel freak out here! Have fun! ;)

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I just bought a new book this past weekend--Personal History---and it would fit for either memoir OR an award-winning book (it won the Pulitzer) so I don't want to start it until January (or at least late December so I don't finish it until January). I was complaining to my roommate about it and she laughed at me.

I mean logically I KNOW there's a billion memoirs and a billion award-winning books in the world, but I want to use up books I already have--not add a bunch more to my TBR. I'm glad they are others in the same boat!

message 17: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments hahaha. I feel like a small child waiting for Christmas morning. There are so many books from my 2016 list that I'm ready to read right now.

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I'm soooo feeling like an excited kid too!

message 19: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2568 comments I'm an excel freak too Sophie! Thanks for the tip.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1181 comments When Manda mentioned she keeps track of her challenges via spreadsheet, I jumped on that idea. I have all of my challenges for next year (and beyond for those that are more than a year) and even though I still have 10 books left for the 2015 challenge that I too am desperately trying to finish, I'm so exited to start all my 2016 challenges. This one most especially.

message 21: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads | 174 comments Jody wrote: "Sophie wrote: "I just discovered that you can export your books in an Excel file"

Oh. My. GOD.

I can't tell you how excited this makes me.

And how sad that makes me that this is enough to excite..."

I'm not very adept at Excel but I'd like to figure this out, would be easier to keep track of than my current typed up lists with handwritten notes LOL.

message 22: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Is it 2016 yet? No, seriously ... this wait is agonising!

message 23: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Sophie is already in 2016, so I'm not really sure :p

message 24: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Hahahaha, perhaps I need to visit the French-speaking part then. There must be a wormhole there!

message 25: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Yes I have the power to bend time to my will hahaha

I can't wait for 2016, so I started the Popsugar list early ;)

message 26: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments I'm also chipping away on Popsugar already.

message 27: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments I started two long books (Don Quixote and Harry Potter #5) to keep me occupied for a couple weeks.If I wait until January 1 to read the last pages, I can count them

message 28: by Michelle (last edited Dec 11, 2015 05:11AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1181 comments I want to start my other 2016 challenges but then I'd feel like I was cheating. It isn't really cheating, of course, because you're reading and reading is pretty much the whole point. I'm just an insane person. Then again, I'm not even done with my 2015 challenge yet so I suppose it's a moot point.

message 29: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Definitely. begin now and finish in 2016 is not cheating because it will be registered as read in 2016. I'd do the same if I had already finished with my 2015 challenge :-(

message 30: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments I'm the same, Emm. It doesn't bother me at all what anyone else does, but I can't bring myself to start my 2016 challenges yet! The stupid thing is, it's not like there aren't any other books in the world to read ...

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1181 comments Silvia, my thought on these challenges is that they're personal and mostly about reading more, stepping outside of your comfort zone, and pushing your personal boundaries. If reading outside of 2016 works for you (whether you read the whole book or just most of it) then you should definitely do that. I don't think it is a big deal at all. For me, because I'm challenging myself to double my number of books read from 2015 to 2016, it would feel like cheating. For me, I cannot say that I went from reading 60 books in 2015 to reading 120 books in 2016 if I started some in December. That's just me and my craziness. I see nothing wrong with anyone else starting early. :)

message 32: by Michelle (last edited Dec 11, 2015 05:48AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1181 comments Jody, I feel like I am starting so many challenges next year that most of the books I want to read any time soon are already designated for next year. Haha. I think I'd actually struggle to find non-challenge books to read to finish out the year.

Maybe some Christmas books? Light, airy, Christmas stuff.

message 33: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments I should add that I will stick to the 52 challenge as per plan (with reservation to shuffle around due to library loans), but Popsugar was an unexpected addition for me. I've created my alphabet challenges, too, and for all these other challenges I just want to get books over and done with, so I can decrease my bookshelf to a smaller one :)

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1181 comments For those doing multiple challenges, I'm curious, are you doing any overlapping? Or do you intend to read entirely separate books for each challenge?

message 35: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I was wondering about the same too :-)

message 36: by Michelle (last edited Dec 11, 2015 06:00AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1181 comments GoodReads has this Best Books of the Month feature and I'm doing a challenge to read one of the best books of the month for each month. It isn't something I'm likely to finish in 2016 but I noticed as I started selecting my books for that challenge that some of them overlapped with my books for either this challenge or the reject selections challenge. I didn't want to go back and change things on my other lists so I thought about just letting some of them overlap. But, again, I'm an absolute insane person who clearly takes personal reading challenges a little too seriously and that sort of felt like cheating too. Haha.

message 37: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments Emm the Elf wrote: "For those doing multiple challenges, I'm curious, are you doing any overlapping? Or do you intend to read entirely separate books for each challenge?"

No overlap. I have such a long TBR list that I don't see any point in keeping it longer than necessary :D

My alphabet challenges, 52, and Popsugar include a vast majority of my unread paper books, which is marvellous. Somehow everything has clicked into place, with the help of Overdrive mainly.

message 38: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments No overlapping here! I ended up doing three separate challenges this year and didn't overlap on those either. Like you Emm, I want to challenge myself, and I really have no shortage of books on my TBR! With my reject challenge though, I'm using some short stories & picture books - there's absolutely no way I can read that many novels in a year. Especially since I have quite a few doorstops on my list!

message 39: by Michelle (last edited Dec 11, 2015 06:23AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1181 comments Yes. You have a valid point there, Jody, in the interest of challenging myself I should probably do away with the overlaps. I will have to go back and edit my list. It is probably easier to edit my list for this challenge than it is for the Best Books of the Month Challenge since I only get 5 books a month to choose from. :/

For my rejects challenge I just decided not to limit it to 2016. I'm going to try and finish it out by the end of 2017. It is a massive list! Even after I edited it some.

message 40: by Raeann (new)

Raeann (broadwaypants) | 100 comments Emm the Elf wrote: "For those doing multiple challenges, I'm curious, are you doing any overlapping? Or do you intend to read entirely separate books for each challenge?"

I try my best not to overlap. Some of the challenge categories are pretty similar so it's hard to find two books to fit the same category, but I've been pretty successful so far! 2016's popsugar has some weirdly specific categories I haven't been able to fill (yet), but the duplicates haven't posed a problem so far. I'm still waiting for Book Riot to put out 2016's Read Harder challenge and I'm hoping their categories won't be too similar.

Right now I'm trying my best to not check out every single book on my 2016 list from the library... even if today's due date happens to be January 2nd! I still have unfinished business from 2015 to take care of...

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I'm so excited to read some of the books on my 52 list, that I already started to read. I couldn't help it, the book was staring at me! I swear it said my name! So now I will have to update my list (I will only count it toward the 52 list if I start it in 2016).

I like the idea of starting the popsugar list now. I was planning on overlapping since I'm such a slow reader (if I can get through half the list I'll be excited!). So it will be good to have some books that can separate from my 52 challenge list.

message 42: by Joy (new)

Joy | 106 comments I will overlap the two challenges. Before 2015, I averaged around 35 books per year. With the challenges for motivation, I managed about 60 this year. I tend to choose literary fiction, classics, and historical fiction, so I have very few quick reads, and my work schedule requires a lot of my time, so overlapping works for me.

Also, I will count books that I finish in 2016, so I will allow myself to start a couple this month but not finish them until January to count.

I love the diversity and open-mindedness in this group. It is awesome to see how everyone tailors these challenges to their reading styles.

message 43: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristia) | 18 comments I have this dilemma where I put All the Light We Cannot See on hold at the library and I was really far down on the list. But now it is on hold! They will hold it till the 19th - ahhh what to do??

message 44: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Emm the Elf wrote: "For my rejects challenge I just decided not to limit it to 2016. I'm going to try and finish it out by the end of 2017. It is a massive list! Even after I edited it some."

Actually I like that idea. I really would like to do them all, but there's no way I can see it happening in 2016 (especially if Book Riot brings out a read-harder challenge as well, as I feel I will end up doing that too!). There's no rush!

message 45: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Kristi, some people count any book finished in 2016 for the challenge, so you could start it on the 19th and plan to finish it in early January...

message 46: by Raeann (new)

Raeann (broadwaypants) | 100 comments Kristi wrote: "I have this dilemma where I put All the Light We Cannot See on hold at the library and I was really far down on the list. But now it is on hold! They will hold it till the 19th - ah..."

Call your library and see if they pull holds every day. Most don't, and they might end up holding it until the 20th or 21st or even the 22nd! If your library gives you three weeks for books (like mine), you'll have it until January 9th if you check it out on the 19th. Nine days is plenty of time to read a book!

message 47: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads | 174 comments Kristi wrote: "I have this dilemma where I put All the Light We Cannot See on hold at the library and I was really far down on the list. But now it is on hold! They will hold it till the 19th - ah..."

I have this issue too, as I get a lot of my books from the library. I just read a little out of order and write my thoughts down so I can participate in the discussion of the book for the appropriate week.

message 48: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristia) | 18 comments Thanks Sophie and Raeann! I think I will just have to finish it the first few days in January. It feels a little like cheating but I guess its ok!

message 49: by Michelle (last edited Dec 11, 2015 05:42PM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1181 comments I didn't do the Read Harder challenge last year but I'd like to give it a go this year, Jody. They did say on their GoodReads group page that they intended to have a 2016 challenge and to keep your eyes open in December for the list. Really though, like you said, there is no rush on the rejects challenge. If it takes me 5 years to complete it, well, I don't really mind. It is something I just took on for the fun of it.

In all honesty, it may take me that long. I'd like to see it finished by the end of 2017 but that is pretty unrealistic. I trimmed it down to 175 books so I'd need to read like 87 books a year (above and beyond my other challenges) to complete it before the end of 2017. :p So, you know, whatever. I'll make up my own rules.

message 50: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Ellen wrote: "Kristi wrote: "I have this dilemma where I put All the Light We Cannot See on hold at the library and I was really far down on the list. But now it is on hold! They will hold it til..."

No need to write down your thoughts to share them later, we are mostly jumpers, so people are going to talk about the books all year long!

« previous 1