UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Fantasy and SF conventions-Advice please

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Never quite sure where this sort of topic goes. I was looking for opinions as to what were the good SF and Fantasy conventions in the UK. In 2016 I was thinking of visiting a few, probably getting a table, selling some books
So I was looking for advice as to which conventions people think are worth visiting. After all if they're worth going to as a punter, there's a fair chance they're worth visiting as a trader :-)

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Good question Jim, and I'd also be interested to know.
& while I don't have enough books out to justify an entire stand, I'd certainly be up for going halfsies or thirdsies or . . .

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments fractionsies?

message 4: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments It's not cheap to hire a stand - they want their pound of flesh, and you're in competition with geeks like myself trying to flog merchandise and miniature wargaming stuff.

It's dog eat dog at these places, Jim.

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4195 comments R.M.F wrote: "It's not cheap to hire a stand - they want their pound of flesh..."

I first read that they 'wanted their pound of FISH.' Need some caffeine.

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I think Will Macmillan Jones did a bunch this or last year -- I vaguely recall him mentioning it.

Kath wrote: "fractionsies?"

For a limited subset. I probably wouldn't consider (say) forty-seven fifty-thirdsies

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Alicia wrote: "R.M.F wrote: "It's not cheap to hire a stand - they want their pound of flesh..."

I first read that they 'wanted their pound of FISH.' Need some caffeine."

Was that at Fin-Con?

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments R.M.F wrote: "It's not cheap to hire a stand - they want their pound of flesh, and you're in competition with geeks like myself trying to flog merchandise and miniature wargaming stuff.

It's dog eat dog at the..."

Oh I know, some of the wargames shows charge a lot more than some of the fantasy conventions! And quite big fantasy conventions at that

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Tim wrote: "Good question Jim, and I'd also be interested to know.
& while I don't have enough books out to justify an entire stand, I'd certainly be up for going halfsies or thirdsies or . . ."

I think it works better where there are a couple of people behind the stand. It's somebody to talk to, somebody to look after things when the other one nips to the loo, that sort of thing.
I'd be happy to share a stand

message 10: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I've done a few of these, Jim, and they are great fun. Thing is, you have to commit to doing the cons for a ew years so that you start to get known there.

Some cons vet the applicants too, and look to see if you've been to - or they have seen you at - other places - before they let you have a table.

But you can't beat doing them for raising profile, but it's an expensive weekend...

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Yes, that was one reason why I decided to ask people for advice and to see which ones people know.

message 12: by Pam (last edited Nov 25, 2015 04:05PM) (new)

Pam Baddeley | 2906 comments I haven't been for many years apart from the Worldcon held here last year which was huge and impersonal. However, the main ones are Eastercon which I think is in Manchester next year and Novacon, which you've just missed.

There's a list here though it includes ones abroad - https://metaphysicalfantasy.wordpress.com/events/uk-conventions-and-festivals-scifi-fantasy-and-horror/

Doesn't include all the media cons for various TV genres/shows, there are probably still loads of those.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm gonna move this to agony aunt...

Sorry I can't help. I've never attended one.

I'd probably enjoy going to one, though.

message 14: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Eastercon is usually very costly, which is why I haven't done it yet.

The cons run by The British Fantasy Society, Bristol Fantasy Society, Edge lit and Novacon are always very friendly and good starting places.

message 15: by Gingerlily - The Full Wild (last edited Nov 26, 2015 03:33AM) (new)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Yeah Novacon last year was great fun. And I have almost forgiven Will for the dastardly trick he played on me.

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments If they held one in Conwy it would be handy for Will. And it'd be Concon, which I rather like!

message 17: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Didn't you do Novacon this year too, GL? (he asks, quickly changing the subject. And it was the barman's fault anyway, not mine.)

I couldn't make it, sadly, this year.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Blameshifter!!

And no, I didn't make it this year either.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Right I'll check things out
Any nice and northern?

message 20: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Edge lit is Derby and Novacon is Nottingham. Next year Fantasycon will be Scarborough

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments Is there one in Ireland called Leprecon?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "Is there one in Ireland called Leprecon?"

That one is for lepers!

We had a ComicCon a few weeks ago, but i didn't feel up to dealing with the crowds..

message 23: by M.T. (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7639 comments I think there's one in Norwich but I'm not sure what it's like. I really enjoy doing events but a fantasy/sci-fi crowd would be much better for me than the Christmas Market I usually do... well... in theory.

Trouble is, they're all miles away and hard to get to for me. I'd be up for sharing a table at any that are up to a couple of hours from Bury St Eds if anyone's on though.

Cheers

MTM

message 24: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I've looked at the Norwich con, but did wonder how many would attend... I still reckon you'd be better in Nottingham, Mary

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm willing to attend any con as long as flights and board is paid.

And bacon. I'll supply my own candles.

message 26: by M.T. (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7639 comments I met a chap at the Christmas Fair who sells a lot of horror books up Lowestoft way. Apparently books are big on the Norfolk coast!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Having had grandparents in Lowestoft, I would believe that!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments No offers of flights paid for yet.

Hmmmm

Way too many starving artists friends I have.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Well so far I've booked for Scarborough

message 30: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Just been told that Mancunicon at easter is both fully booked and the waiting list is so long that there's no point joining...