Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Secret Santa 2015 - Putting out the feelers

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (last edited Nov 25, 2015 01:59AM) (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1884 comments Mod
Hi all,

In 2013, this group did a Secret Santa (organised by a non-mod), a fair few people took part, and I for one, enjoyed receiving a book from a fellow group member!

I thought that this year I would take the reins and put out the feelers to see if anyone was interested in taking part?

These were the rules that we used in 2013:

RULES:

1.) As you sign up, please private message me with the following: Your full name, mailing address, and a book from your wishlist. In the subject line please put, "D&J Secret Santa"

2.) Please try not to exceed $15 on the book you're purchasing for whoever you get. If shipping costs are a problem, I'm told you can use the Book Depository where shipping is free to almost every country.

3.) If you wish to send an additional gift to your person, that is entirely up to you. As long as you all receive one book from your wishlist to unwrap this holiday season.

4.) DO NOT give anyone's address to a third party without permission!

The only change I'm going to make is to send 2 options of books you would like, just in case one of your options is not available.

Anyone taking part obviously does so in good faith, and I would ask that you only sign up to take part if you will genuinely follow through.

So yes, voice your feelings below, and I'll give you guys a few days to chime in before setting up an official thread and sending out a message.

message 2: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Its always a fun idea getting books for Christmas. I'm taking part in one for my Irish Goodreads group. I think we will have to add a rule that you can only take part if you are a regular member , one to avoid people jumping in then disappearing , leaving someone dissapointed come Christmas and two its a lot easier to buy something for someone you've interacted with regualrly.
Additionally to Book Depository , Kennys.ie also ship worldwide for free or you can order from a company within the recipients country to get the cheapest postage.
Can there be an allowance for a non requested book to be sent,it might be nice to surprise a member

message 3: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Paul wrote: "Its always a fun idea getting books for Christmas. I'm taking part in one for my Irish Goodreads group. I think we will have to add a rule that you can only take part if you are a regular member , ..."

I was definitely considering the regular member angle, perhaps if we say minimum of 5 posts? Does that sound reasonable? Or more?

And yes, I'll add that as an option, when you message you can request a "Surprise Book" - buyer will just need to check members Read shelf to make sure they haven't already got it.

Cheers for the extra website, I'll add that in too.

message 4: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Not sure if 5 is low or maybe 5 in the last two months to make sure its currently active

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Davis (bonafidewb) | 75 comments I like the idea.Unfortunately I will have to opt out this year.Money is very tight,sorry to say.Merry Christmas to all anyway.

message 6: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1802 comments This sounds like a great idea, love the idea of sending someone a book for Christmas! Do you guys think ebooks could be part of it? I'm sure I'm not the only one that needs to downsize their physical collection. For people that would prefer that way could a gift card get sent with instructions of what book to buy? Or is that too complicated?

message 7: by Miss (new)

Miss E | 2 comments I would love to join in even though I am a new member - I would be happy to provide proof of postage to a mod or something to show I have sent a book before one gets sent to me.

message 8: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Lel wrote: "This sounds like a great idea, love the idea of sending someone a book for Christmas! Do you guys think ebooks could be part of it? I'm sure I'm not the only one that needs to downsize their physic..."

I think, for ease, it'll be better to stick with physical copies.

Miss wrote: "I would love to join in even though I am a new member - I would be happy to provide proof of postage to a mod or something to show I have sent a book before one gets sent to me."

Hi Miss, i'm going to have to say maybe at the moment! If the numbers stay relatively few, then I'll be happy to track that and sort it out, however if there's an influx of participants, it'll be a logistical and administrational nightmare to keep track of, to get every new member to do the same thing.

message 9: by Genesee (new)

Genesee Rickel (geneseerickel) This sounds fun! I'm already participating in the Brooke & Bookish secret Santa book exchange, as well as another one for a more local book club that I'm in, so I will have to pass this year. I will keep this in mind for next year's Christmas budget.

message 10: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
I'm game.

I feel like ebooks would be okay if requested by the person, I just don't know how you would go about sending them to the person.

Also maybe if you want to be surprised you could set up a shelf of like 20 books and ask the person to get something off of there.

message 11: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
The problem with ebooks that I can foresee is regional issues. If two people are in the same country it might be easier but not sure about internationally.

message 12: by Kaseadillla (new)

Kaseadillla | 18 comments I like Roger's idea of naming a shelf and your secret santa person selecting off that - nice to have a surprise! And also allows the person to give you a recommendation if they've read and/or particularly loved a book on your list.

Similar to Miss, I'm relatively new and haven't posted a lot but I follow all the BOTM's/boards! Would love to be included!

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 354 comments I love bookish secret santas! Unfortunately, I can't afford it this year, so I must pass. Happy secret santa-ing to all participants!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments I love this idea! Sounds like a lot of fun.
I'm in!

I like both the idea of an option for a "surprise" book and Roger's suggestion of the secret santa bookshelf. That one would help make sure its a book you want/don't have but still keep a little surprise to it.

message 15: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
I love the idea but not totally sure I can participate. Will know more once I figure out a Christmas budget.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (willowbook) | 17 comments I like the idea but does have the book have to be new? I notice alot of peolpe cant participate due to finances which i understand because thats my worry too is budget. I have a used bookstore here that has a huge selections of books. Not sure if everyone has used bookstores just idea.

message 17: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

I personally would never mind receiving w second hand book - unless I specifically wanted a new one if that makes sense!

Perhaps we should state that the book can be new or second hand at the discretion of the buyer, and if you definitely want it new then don't request it!

message 18: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

I personally would never mind receiving w second hand book - unless I specifically wanted a new one if that makes sense!

Perhaps we should state that the book can be new or second hand at the discretion of the buyer, and if you definitely want it new then don't request it!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments I would agree with that.

As long as the book is in good shape, why should it matter if it is second hand? We all know you can find some awesome stuff at used book stores.

message 20: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Deffos!

message 21: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I bought three second hands rather than one new for another SS , all hardbacks as I knew the person was collecting the books All depends on who you get I suppsoe

message 22: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1742 comments I'd love to participate! I'm good with decent used books. I do a lot of used book shopping myself. I'm also open to sending ebooks (legally acquired). :D

message 23: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (willowbook) | 17 comments Alot of my books come from the usedbook store and they are in good conditions. :)

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom | 216 comments Before I switched to kindle all my books came from charity shops and if there in bad condition they won't take them

message 25: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1810 comments Mod
I will participate! I didn't last year but I think I am in a better state to do so this year :) Should be fun! Just need to keep track of all these Secret Santas I am participating in! :P

message 26: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
Here is a question, could it be arranged for the Europe members and the NA members to be split into separate groups to cut down on shipping?

message 27: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
The Book Depository offers free shipping worldwide - although I suppose it depends whether you're considering 2nd books :)

message 28: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Book Depository and Kennys are world wide free delivery. Awesome Books is a small delivery world wide for good second hands. Or you can use the local Amazon or Abe books. Always an option . I had to get a book for New Zealand last year. Easy ;-)

message 29: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Ok - looks like we have a few people interested at least! I'll give people a couple more days and then I'll send out another message on 1st Dec and make an official thread with the rules in.

I don't want to "fix" it too much, so if its possible to do worldwide delivery from those places then it seems like a good idea, just don't go crazy obscure with your books people :D

message 30: by Carter (new)

Carter This sounds fun! I've always wanted to participate in an online secret santa like this, so count me in.

message 31: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Sadly as a new member who has never posted before you will probably have to wait untill next year Carter.

message 32: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) It definately sounds fun, just wondering if I'm eligible for joining?

message 33: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I think you've been active enough over the month.

message 34: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) Nice! Do we need to set up some sort of wishlist or is it random what we get??

message 35: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

I'm gonna send out a message tomorrow and set up a thread with the rules/instructions/how to sign up etc.

But yes, it'll be set up a shelf with what you'd like in it :)

message 36: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) Alright! I'll message you in a sec with my registration! :)

message 37: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Hold off until you get the message tomorrow just so I can finalise the rules and info I need etc!

I admire your enthusiasm though ;)

message 38: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) Oh jeez, I'm so sorry. I misread the first message in this thread... >.< Excuse me while I go stand in the corner..

message 39: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kimberley wrote: "Oh jeez, I'm so sorry. I misread the first message in this thread... >.< Excuse me while I go stand in the corner.."

:D You can come out now, I forgive you

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.