The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Captain America: Civil War

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Walter (last edited Nov 25, 2015 01:54AM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments The first trailer for the May 5, 2016 release of Captain America: Civil War has dropped. Here's a link to the Entertainment Weekly article that gives more information about the movie, as well as a link to the trailer, which includes a brief glimpse of the Black Panther:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/25/...

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/uVdV-lxRPFo

message 3: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 241 comments Looks extremely promising. I loved the shot of Captain and Bucky beating down on Iron Man. Also, Black Panther looked like one heck of a bad ass!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It Looks AMAZING!

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments It's cool that they've made Captain America 3 also Avengers 3. That's a nice trick.

I hated the Civil War storyline in the comics. It was contrived and lamely executed, so I'm hoping they were able to fix it for the film.

Nerd thoughts about the trailer:

T'Challa (Black Panther) seems to have gotten some superpower upgrades. That shot in the tunnel shows Cap barely keeping up with him, and we know Cap is fast as hell. He's looks pretty great, though. I assume those touches of silver on his costume (and his claws) are actually vibranium. If it's throughout his suit, he's actually armored better than Iron Man.

I'm digging the new outfit of The Falcon. The wings are a nice melding of the comic and movie versions. I really need to get me some of those.

It's great to see them bring back Thunderbolt Ross. He's our Hulk connection, since Bruce won't be in this one, apparently.

They didn't show either Ant-Man or Spider-man, who are supposedly both in the movie. I'm hoping they keep Spidey as a surprise. Ant-Man is probably only at the end of the flick when everyone has made up. Or maybe he's in every single one of those shots. Who knows?

But where is The Vision? Is there something else going on besides this big battle? Thanos coming to collect a couple shiny stones? We don't see Team Tony at all, just Iron Man and War Machine, and it looks like Rhodey takes a beating. THAT is the thing that will make it personal for Tony. "You killed my favorite re-cast friend! Prepare to die!"

I suspect the scene at the airport occurs when T'Challa arrives in the country around 1/3 of the way into the story or maybe halfway point and isn't the actual climax of the movie. We know that Crossbones is in it. Maybe he was trying to take out T'Challa and didn't count on him being Black Panther. Or heck, maybe it takes place in Wakanda. They show Italian police and Bucky in front of a Farmacia at the start, so it's hard to say. Plus, wherever Falcon is taking on those cops, it has palm trees, so it's not NYC.

Vision is in the leaked concept art and the poster, though, so he's probably there at some point.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments Oh, and the phonebook-sized book they show is titled "Sokovia Accords" and it's clearly being handed to Scarlet Witch. Sokovia is where Ultron made his stand in Avengers 2, so it all ties together. She's still got a beef with Stark, so that's probably why she chooses to stand with Hawkeye and Cap.

What I really don't get is Hawkeye and Widow being on opposite sides. Those two are as thick as can be.

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments Wilmar wrote: "Looks extremely promising. I loved the shot of Captain and Bucky beating down on Iron Man."

I want to know how that came to be. Iron Man has stood up to Iron Monger, Thor, Hulk and a sabot round from a tank. Seems hard to believe two Scrappers can go toe-to-toe with a Tanker-Blaster like him.

(Sorry, City of Heroes lingo. Scrapper, Tanker, Blaster. I often played as a Scranker. Tank-Mages in RPGs are characters who have massive survivability and incredible long-range attacks; people like Iron Man, Thor, Superman, Supergirl, Shazam. Spider-man is the iconic Scrapper, Hulk is the stereotypical Tanker, while Wonder Woman is the prototypical Scranker.)

message 8: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments I'm totally geeking out about this. Such a nerd. Not even sorry.

But yeah, that looks like Wakanda for at least part of it, based on this screengrab.

message 9: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 241 comments Trike wrote: "Wilmar wrote: "Looks extremely promising. I loved the shot of Captain and Bucky beating down on Iron Man."

I want to know how that came to be. Iron Man has stood up to Iron Monger, Thor, Hulk and ..."

Ha ha, no need to explain the COH lingo, I know it fairly well. My wager is that Iron Man is holding back a little bit or stalling for time. It would make sense for him to go all out with Hulk since he's out of control.

But against Cap? A guy who he considers a friend? Don't think he would repulsor ray blast him in the face as easily.

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments What was your main in CoH?

message 11: by Walter (last edited Nov 25, 2015 12:42PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Trike wrote: Sorry, City of Heroes lingo.

I used to play City of Heroes. Would love to see someone else come up with a workable superhero MMORPG. Still have fond memories of Chaosium's Superworld. In fact, I may still have the original boxed game upstairs.

I'm interested in how the Black Panther will be reimagined. Captain America is, in the Marvel movies, a far more formidable opponent than I recall him being when I was reading comics back in the day, and I'm intrigued by how the Black Panther will be interpreted.

message 12: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 241 comments Trike wrote: "What was your main in CoH?"

Martial Arts, Super Reflexes scrapper. Wasn't great for PVP against certain builds but was awesome for PVE. Cyber Ninja for life!

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments Wilmar wrote: "Trike wrote: "What was your main in CoH?"

Martial Arts, Super Reflexes scrapper. Wasn't great for PVP against certain builds but was awesome for PVE. Cyber Ninja for life!"

Och, SR was hard. I repsecced my SR Scrapper into Dual Blades/Willpower and rocketed to 50. He was so much fun after that, and the moves were so pretty.

In CoH terms, I think the MCU Black Widow is a Natural Martial Arts/Super Reflexes Scrapper, actually. Cap is probably a combo of Shield, Willpower and Regeneration, with a Street Justice primary. Bucky I'd guess is a cafeteria Scrapper: he's got some Dual Blades moves, Martial Arts, Super Reflexes, Willpower, Street Justice... dude's a grab-bag.

Damn shame they pulled the plug on CoH. I can only image how popular it would be with all these superhero movies and TV series. I even had a couple characters with one metal arm like Winter Soldier.

message 14: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 241 comments Trike wrote: "Wilmar wrote: "Trike wrote: "What was your main in CoH?"

Martial Arts, Super Reflexes scrapper. Wasn't great for PVP against certain builds but was awesome for PVE. Cyber Ninja for life!"

Och, SR..."

Yeah, and unfortunately Champions Online just doesn't come close to the magic COH had. Was a really awesome community too.

I wonder what Vision would be? Controller or Blaster?

message 15: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments Wilmar wrote: "I wonder what Vision would be? Controller or Blaster? "

In the comics he's totally a Blaster. So far he seems to be that in the movies, too. Zap. If you picked Invisibility and Teleport, you could probably mimic his phasing through walls bit.

message 16: by Terence (new)

Terence | 123 comments Trike wrote: "I hated the Civil War storyline in the comics. It was contrived and lamely executed, so I'm hoping they were able to fix it for the film."

I can't express how much I agree with you on this point. I was kind of scared about adapting Civil War because of it. The story already seems to have a stronger plot with the fighting being at least partially because of Cap wanting to save Bucky and others wanting to kill or arrest him. It's easy to buy in that Cap would do anything to save his oldest friend who he failed to save in World War II.

The government wanting to control Captain America, The Avengers, and any super powered individuals makes total sense. I just hope they tread likely and don't turn all the characters into unthinking angry versions of themselves like the comics did.

message 17: by Rick (last edited Nov 26, 2015 10:23AM) (new)

Rick | 2775 comments I think this is a risky movie for Marvel and how/whether they pull it off will determine a lot about how people view the movies going forward. A lot of the people who watch the movies have never read the comics (me included) so all of the backstory that comic fans bring to the movies is missing for us.

From a motivation perspective, then, how they sell the idea of some Avengers fighting others when we've just seen them risking their lives to fight together will be key. It needs to make sense for the movie only audience without any knowledge of the rest of the lore or it will feel arbitrary and unconvincing.

What I mean is this - if my friend, Captain America, had a close friend who was put in danger I'd tend to help Cap. Now, Bucky, Winter Soldier, etc... but still.... it's hard to risk your life for your friend and then turn around and fight him, so it will be interesting to see how they sell that.

message 18: by Terence (new)

Terence | 123 comments Rick wrote: "I think this is a risky movie for Marvel and how/whether they pull it off will determine a lot about how people view the movies going forward. A lot of the people who watch the movies have never re..."

The trailer makes me feel more confidently about how the movie will turn out. The Civil War comic series plot seems unnecessary to enjoy the film which has been the case overall so far in the MCU. No movie in the MCU has closely followed all comic points to my knowledge.

I didn't buy the motivations for the characters in the comic series and the trailer at least provides strong motivation for Captain America and Falcon. The events of the last Avenger movie provide more reasonable calls for governmental control over superheroes than the comic was ever able to show. I'm excited for the film particularly since the prior Captain America films were my favorite films in the MCU along with Iron Man.

message 19: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments Rick wrote: "it's hard to risk your life for your friend and then turn around and fight him"

You've never attended an Italian family reunion, have you?

message 20: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments Terence wrote: "I didn't buy the motivations for the characters in the comic series and the trailer at least provides strong motivation for Captain America and Falcon. The events of the last Avenger movie provide more reasonable calls for governmental control over superheroes than the comic was ever able to show."

Exactly. In the comics it seemed like their entire take on the characters was, "Let's do the opposite of what people expect and make Tony PRO-government and Steve ANTI-government!" High fives all around, head to the pool.

It doesn't hurt that Marcus and McFeely are better writers than Mark Millar, so I'm hoping they come up with something better than that.

I'm still a little iffy on Tony wanting to sign on to the Superpowers Registration Act, so they'll probably have to make it personal beyond Rhodey getting hurt. The natural plot point would be that Bucky is the one who killed Tony's parents. Steve not trusting the government is well-established at this point, especially with the whole Hydra infiltration deal, going all the way up to the Vice President. (I assume that's what happened in Iron Man 3, even though it wasn't specifically stated.) But Tony basically told various parts of the government to shove it whenever it came up, so something big has to make him flip-flop.

I'm betting they compromise. Tony backs down once he realizes what he's signing up for, and Cap agrees to limited government oversight. Ooh, does this mean we'll get Henry Gyrich in this movie? Or will Ross take that job?

I really like that line Falcon says about exploring all their options. That alone tells me they'll be going for a little nuance, which is rare for costumed punchfests.

message 21: by Terence (last edited Nov 26, 2015 12:01PM) (new)

Terence | 123 comments Trike wrote: "Terence wrote: "I didn't buy the motivations for the characters in the comic series and the trailer at least provides strong motivation for Captain America and Falcon. The events of the last Avenge..."

I think Ross is taking the job because Henry Gyrich is tied into the X-Men he appeared and was mentioned in the first movie. Mystique had taken over as him.

I think you're right that the two eventually compromise. The question is will someone need to die for that to happen.

message 22: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments New trailer, introducing at the end your friendly neighborhood Spider Man.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrVegV...

message 23: by Terence (new)

Terence | 123 comments The Spider-Man suit is too much CGI, I hope they dial it back a little bit. I'm nervous about this movie again because I didn't like the Civil War story. Earlier it appeared like this would revolve more about Bucky and I liked that idea better. Heroes going to war over having to report to a governing body seems ridiculous.

message 24: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3861 comments Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the storyline in the comics either. There were plenty of other things they could have done, but what Disney wants is "Avengers Lite." I'll still see it, but might not rush out opening weekend.

message 25: by Terence (new)

Terence | 123 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the storyline in the comics either. There were plenty of other things they could have done, but what Disney wants is "Avengers Lite." I'll still see it, but might not rush o..."

I have really enjoyed the first two Captain America films so I will definitely see this one too. I'm just hoping the conflict centers around Bucky rather than simply signing up for governmental oversight. If the film is good, I also hope the affects of the fallout aren't quickly forgotten like in the comics.

message 26: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments I also hated the Civil War storyline in the comics. It felt to me like they had a writer's retreat and someone said, "I know! Let's make Captain America against registration and Iron Man for it! No one will see that coming!" "Great idea! Let's go get mojitos!" And then they had Mark Millar write it, which... ugh.

However, in the movies it feels like they've earned it a bit more, at least on Cap's end, because he has been screwed over by the government a bunch of times, and with Hydra infiltrating SHIELD and the government at the highest levels (including Vice President, a number of Senators and whatever Robert Redford was), Steve has a reason not to trust them. Add in his loyalty to Bucky and he's conflicted at the very least.

Ant-man is an easy anti-government sell, as is Scarlet Witch.

Shoe-horning Spidey in there, though... I'm iffy on that. That said, CA: The Winter Soldier is easily one of my two favorite Marvel movies (right up there with Iron Man) so writers Marcus and McFeely as well as directors Russo brothers have earned my trust, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Not crazy about Spidey's lenses moving like that. I prefer the expressionless mask in the comics and movies where he has to use body language to emote. Not even sure how that will work, honestly. Stark tech?

I'm seeing this day one, regardless. Fortunately I have Daredevil season two to tide me over. Next week!

message 27: by Terence (new)

Terence | 123 comments Trike wrote: "CA: The Winter Soldier is easily one of my two favorite Marvel movies (right up there with Iron Man) so writers Marcus and McFeely as well as directors Russo brothers have earned my trust, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt."

I feel exactly the same. The moving mask looked really fake and weird too.

message 28: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments As I was watching it again, it's pretty clear the shots from the trailer are taken out of sequence, even more than usual. The apparent conversations and even the altercations clearly take place in different locations.

The shot of Bucky in the cryochamber might be a flashback, since he was on his own at the end of Winter Soldier and he had his arm clamped in a vice during the end credit scene in Ant-Man. Rewatching that scene again makes it sound like there's a gap where Bucky drops some persuasive intel and then they talk about it, but it comes after Steve and Tony have a disagreement but before they actually fight.

I'm guessing Crossbones is the one who blows up the UN meeting and Bucky tries to stop him, but T'Challa chases after him while Cap tries to intervene. Bucky gets away, Cap captures Crossbones, and then we see the scene with Bucky in the garage.

I suspect the fight at the airport comes somewhere around the 2/3 point and we haven't seen the climax yet.

I'm over-analyzing because this is the movie I'm fanboying over this year.

message 30: by Darren (new)

Darren Trike wrote: "As I was watching it again, it's pretty clear the shots from the trailer are taken out of sequence, even more than usual. The apparent conversations and even the altercations clearly take place in ..."

The airport was about your only right guess, and only half right.

Anyone else see this? I liked it, but it was certainly no Winter Soldier. Spidey was well cast, but Black Panther seemed way OP. Not just for the comics, because of course he's different, but when you're fighting Cap and Bucky and Black Widow, should you really be next-levelling them in martial prowess?

message 31: by Terence (new)

Terence | 123 comments Black Panther is basically the African King version of Batman. It was said in the comics that an older Black Panther defeated Captain America. He's known to be as good as anyone without super powers at fighting. The idea he's pushing Cap, Bucky, and Black Widow is very consistent of what I know of him.

message 32: by Darren (new)

Darren I don't know. This is a thing that bothers me with superhero films/shows in general. Whenever a new hero or villain is introduced, he's way more powerful than anyone. Punisher in the Daredevil show is another example. The Winter Soldier last Cap movie? Another.

And then someone else new comes along, and suddenly the new super awesome turns super average.

message 33: by Fredrik (new)

Fredrik (fredurix) | 217 comments I saw the movie yesterday, and enjoyed it muchly.
The conflict is very much rooted in personal issues, which I wasn't sure how I felt about at first, but on retrospect I realize that's a good thing, because it leads into what works best about the movie: I liked that it started from ideological differences might have been resolved, if the situation hadn't kept being escalated by ... unfortunate events until there was no choice but to fight.

message 34: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 192 comments I only went along due to my son but i dont mind some marvel movies like the first ironman, guardians of the galaxy, antman but im not a fan of the rest.. avengers, captain america, ulton and now this.

I think my main issue with them is that they are so bloody long... they could with being a lot shorter.

I much preferred batman/superman over this.

message 35: by Terence (new)

Terence | 123 comments Pickle wrote: "I only went along due to my son but i dont mind some marvel movies like the first ironman, guardians of the galaxy, antman but im not a fan of the rest.. avengers, captain america, ulton and now th..."

It's interesting you don't like some of the Marvel movies because of length yet you liked Batman vs Superman which is longer than all of Marvel's movies so far.

message 36: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3861 comments I really detested the Civil War storyline. The motivations seemed fake fake fake.

When I see the ads, all I can hear is Axl Rose.

*sigh* I'll be there to see it regardless. Probably not opening weekend as it's Mother's Day.

message 37: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1528 comments So was this released in Europe last week? I don't think it hits theaters in the US until Thursday. I always think it is funny how they roll out releases on some of these big name movies.

message 38: by Terence (new)

Terence | 123 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "I really detested the Civil War storyline. The motivations seemed fake fake fake.

When I see the ads, all I can hear is Axl Rose.

*sigh* I'll be there to see it regardless. Probably not opening w..."

Agreed. I didn't like the comic and I'm cautiously hoping the filmmakers create more reasonable motivations for heroes to fight one another.

message 39: by Darren (new)

Darren John (Nevets) wrote: "So was this released in Europe last week? I don't think it hits theaters in the US until Thursday. I always think it is funny how they roll out releases on some of these big name movies."

Asia, anyway. Comedies almost never come here, but Korea is usually a test market for blockbuster-style films.

message 40: by Fredrik (new)

Fredrik (fredurix) | 217 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "So was this released in Europe last week? I don't think it hits theaters in the US until Thursday. I always think it is funny how they roll out releases on some of these big name movies."
It did indeed arrive in Norway, Europe last week.
As for the comic book, the movie is only generally based on it; the conflict springs from the situation and the events previously established in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

message 41: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments According to an article in Variety, Fandango says that 90% of their weekend sales are for tickets to see Civil War, a new record, supprassing both Avengers movies and BvS: Dawn of Justice. A $200+ million weekend here in the US is the current prediction:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/cap...

Also, pre-sales in China are pointing towards $45+ million on opening day. Speculations are the film could see a $100-125 million weekend there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChinaBoxOf...

message 42: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3861 comments Dang. I'm good for movies of GOOD Marvel stories to break records. Crappy ones? Not so much. That way leads audience fatigue and burnout.

message 43: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Dang. I'm good for movies of GOOD Marvel stories to break records. Crappy ones? Not so much. That way leads audience fatigue and burnout."

By all accounts, this is one of the best ones. The critical response is the exact opposite of BvS. You can't always go by critics, of course, but when the vast majority of them all lean one way or the other, that means there's something going on. (Of course, I'm also the guy who hates Empire Strikes Back and dislikes Iron Man 3, so, you know, grain of salt. I'm not afraid to be an outlier.)

As I said upthread, I also hated the comic, but both the writers and directors of the terrific Winter Soldier made this one, so they've earned a lot of goodwill from me.

message 44: by Terence (last edited May 04, 2016 02:59PM) (new)

Terence | 123 comments Trike wrote: "John (Taloni) wrote: "Dang. I'm good for movies of GOOD Marvel stories to break records. Crappy ones? Not so much. That way leads audience fatigue and burnout."

By all accounts, this is one of the..."

I love The Empire Strikes Back, but dislike Iron Man 3 so it depends on the person. I'm also not afraid to voice my unpopular opinion. Anyway as the Russo Brothers wrote and directed my favorite Marvel film to date The Winter Soldier I'm going to see the film opening weekend despite disliking the Civil War comic.

That was basically the most long winded way of saying I agree with you overall.

message 45: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments I think this is the best MCU movie so far. Ultron was great but a bit too much for me but I loved every single crazy moment in this. Laughing out loud in every Antman and Spidey's scene. And that bro moment in the VW was priceless.

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (apsalar) | 43 comments I really enjoyed the movie, antman and spiderman added a lot of laughs. I do seem to be a sucker for marvel movies, enjoyed all of them to some extent. This one is somewhere at the top of the list though. I could not really choose a side. Seems like they went through the same problems as Agents of Shield and so on, they never seem to talk to each other before people decide what to do.

message 47: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments Took the family last night. We all enjoyed it. Agreed that Ant-Man and Spidey added some much needed levity. Spidey, especially, was great. And Aunt May! Holy Crap! As Tony Stark indicated, that was unexpected.

As much as I did enjoy the movie, and understand why things happened, I much prefer my superheroes to fight bad-guys instead of each other.

All the bro moments were great.

message 48: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments Glad they didn't include Hulk in this. Or Thor.

message 49: by Terence (last edited May 07, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Terence | 123 comments I thought the film was really good, but I still preferred the first two Captain America films. They definitely improved on the Civil War comic book so that's good since I didn't enjoy the comic at all.

message 50: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3861 comments Saw it today and was pleasantly surprised. My wife insisted on seeing it today. (Have I mentioned recently how awesome my wife is?) Anyhoo, the motivation was much better done here than in the comics. It wound up fairly believable. Also, great action sequences.

It avoided the "so dark it's ridiculous" of BVS. Spider-Man provided some good comic relief. I would never have thought of a sexy Aunt May, but if they're going to go that way, Marisa Tomei was an inspired choice.

« previous 1