Book lovers discussion

Movies and Tv > Best Scary Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
What are your favourite scary films

message 2: by Caitlin Cierra (new)

Caitlin Cierra (caitterbug) I like most of the Saw films....mostly because you can hardly predict the ending...like the latest one, Saw V...

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I saw the latest one because my friend wanted to watch it and her gf doesnt like horror movies and ive seen the first 3 and after the first one the idea got a bit boring and now their just milking the same idea. But i think its a good idea but i would have left it at one film

message 4: by Idmwilliamson (new)

Idmwilliamson | 5 comments The Korean and Japanese tend to be very creepy:
1) Audition
2) A tail of two sisters
3) Ju Hon (the grudge)
5) The ring

message 5: by Idmwilliamson (new)

Idmwilliamson | 5 comments sorry to clarify, I don't think the Korean's and Japanese are creepy, just that they tend to be good at making creepy films :)

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I watched a very creepy japanese film set in a hospital that was losing money so it was quite empty. Cant remember what it was called. Havent seen any of them you listed but i have seen the american remake of the ring

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Idmwilliamson wrote: "sorry to clarify, I don't think the Korean's and Japanese are creepy, just that they tend to be good at making creepy films :)"

lol i got that

message 8: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Most horror movies usually make me laugh, due to the often ridiculous make-up and plot..

But The Final Destination have been truly scary, simply because in those movies death happens too accidentally. Man! And the 4th installment is releasing this month in 4D, can't wait to dig in.. No matter how many times I watch the ads, it still scares the hell outta me.

and then "I am legend". I don't think I have watched a movie packed with more horror than that.. eeks!! How do u live in a world where every single person is dead, and then try relentlessly to cure the lot..

message 9: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Aths wrote: "Most horror movies usually make me laugh, due to the often ridiculous make-up and plot..

But The Final Destination have been truly scary, simply because in those movies death happens too accident..."

Don't get me started on I Am Legend. What a waste of celluloid. Inspired by the book, but definitely not based on it. Other versions were done much better. I found Event Horizon to be creepy and kinda scary.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) There you go haten, i didn't read the book, but the movie was good.Event Horizon really? Love Sam Neil, but this movie not soo good.

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I thought I Am Legend was a good film but i havent read the book. Would you recommend the book?

message 12: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) @ Jo, The book is great, the movie, well it was utter crap and I'm a Will Smith movie fan. Once you read the book, you understand the real meaning of I Am Legend.

@ LoriEvent Horizon wasn't the strong in terms of script, but the concept of being trapped in space with a possessed ship was creepy and with the flashes of mutilation I thought it was creepy.

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Great then i will have to get it if its that much better than the movie

message 14: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) It's a short read too, but well worth it.

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I actually prefer shorter books as i tend to lose concentration if its too fact filled or drawn out and if it takes me too long to read then i end up becoming busy and losing track of the plot

message 16: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Post-I am Legend-movie-release, I did hear a lot of disappointments from those who had read the book. I usually have the habit of wiki-ing for the book, once I watch a movie, to know how faithful the director was to the movie. And I could hardly come across any similarities. The movie seemed loosely based on a number of books.

The only reason I hadn't picked up that book to read yet is due to having to relive the horror, albeit different story. But I guess I should give it a try!

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I think the books are more interesting if they are loosly similar to the movie because you get to relive the story the way it was originally. Only if you see the movie first. If you read the book first and the movie is greatly different then you can be left feeling very dissapointed

message 18: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Jo wrote: "I think the books are more interesting if they are loosly similar to the movie because you get to relive the story the way it was originally. Only if you see the movie first. If you read the book f..."

You're right. I am yet to be disappointed reading a book after watching its movie, but I've been disappointed countless times watching a movie after reading a book.

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
The only time i was disapointed reading a book after a movie was the virgin suicides and that was purely because they were so similar that i didnt get much extra insight and i felt cheated lol

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) I stand corrected Jerrod, your right. The actors could have done better with a decent script, the possessed ship creepy. Not like a house where they got to go space?

message 21: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) only difference is location, but you can run from the house, your options are always limited in a sci-fi horror flick. Just like all action movies have some sort of ventilation shaft people can crawl in.

Alien will always hold a spot for scary with me, even though it doesn't really scare me anymore. But when I first saw it, it freaked me out bad.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) Alien was awsome, got to love Sigourney. The face to face with the alien was one of the scariest parts, you just new she was toast. And to my memory the first of it's kind.

message 23: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) The only significant piece to I Am Legend that is really memorable to me was the poor dog. I was SO affected by the scene! I'm such a sentimental fool. That book is in my massive TBR pile.

One of my favorite scary movies is 28 Days Later. Absolutely love it (and love Cillian Murphy!) I also really like The Cell, Stigmata, Cube (very interesting movie!) and The Devil's Rejects. I like a lot of slasher films that have lame plots of lots of gore, but I also love movies that make me jump! Japanese/Korean horror movies are some of the best for gore. Love it!

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I LOVE 28 days later! I have seen it so many times! Have you seen 28 weeks later?

message 25: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) I never did see it. Is it good??

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah i liked it. Prefered 28 days later but its still worth a watch!

message 27: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) They are trying to green light a 28 Months Later.

@ Ashley,
The book and movie version of I Am Legend cannot be compared and don't expect either to be like each other. The movie should have stated inspired by I Am Legend, because it's surely not based on it.

message 28: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Wow! I really hope 28 months later gets made. Although i would be really disappointed if it was bad and it put people off the other two

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) I absolutely love Wrong Turn. Love Eliza Dushku every sense Buffy. One of the best scenes when their hiding in the cannibals house, and one of them comes in with their friend, and stars cutting him up. Awsome movie!

message 30: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Has anyone seen Mirrors? I watched it last night

message 31: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) I have, it was ok, nothing special but I've seen allot worse.

message 32: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I was considering turning it off after about 20 mins but i think it picked up after that

message 33: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) like many I've seen, it has potential but falls flat. Not a complete waste, but not by much.

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) A complete waste of film, time, & energy are CROWLEY & SKELETON CREW. IMO they suck sooo bad. Warning please do not watch! :(

message 35: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Isnt Skeleton Crew a Stephen King one? Thanks for the heads up Lori!

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) King does have a book by that name, but it is't this pice of crap i'm talking about. Totally different. Starring people we never heard of. Was released in April & out on DVD in July. Sucksville!

message 37: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Lol oh right. Definitely one to avoid then!

I watched a film called Eden Lake last night. It was one big cliche. The happy couple, he was going to propose but now they are being hunted by hoody kids. Yawn.

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) OMG The movie we watched last night was soso. It was so slow moving didn't seem to ever get to the point. It had Bill Pullman in it. It's called Surveillance. It's got all kinds of cliches in it. But like a trian wreck you couldn't look away.

message 39: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Just watched and liked The Ring....

message 40: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I started watching The Howling but fell asleep. It didnt keep me interested enough

message 41: by Hanako (new)

Hanako | 33 comments The movie that scared me the most was a spanish realisation called "REC". Everything happens in a flat and the atmosphere is really really tense. I know there is a REC 2 but I don't feel the strenght to watch it...arrgh....

message 42: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I've seen REC it was pretty good. The American remake, Quarentine, was good too although the woman in that was a bit annoying

message 43: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 103 comments The original Halloween scares me the most. I must admit books have disturbed me, but to date no book has really scared me.

message 44: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I agree, Stuart. While i have read spooky books, none have actually properly scared me. I am on the look out for one to scare me though! I havent seen the original Halloween.

message 45: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Jo wrote: "I agree, Stuart. While i have read spooky books, none have actually properly scared me. I am on the look out for one to scare me though! I havent seen the original Halloween. "

What!? It's John Carpenter goodness, and Zombies version isn't a complete train wreck like he previous films and worth watching as well.

message 46: by Jo (last edited Sep 08, 2009 07:45AM) (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I added it to my lovefilm list. It is 10 years older than i am so i think i should be excused for not having seen it! lol

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) No excuses young lady, watch the scary movie and go to bed! :)

message 48: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yes mother LOL! I will watch it when it comes :)

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) Good girl! :o)

message 50: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Lori wrote: " No excuses young lady, watch the scary movie and go to bed! :)"

That's right, you lucky your still getting dinner! You've much to learn youngling.

« previous 1