Superheroes and Comic Book Club discussion

Attention! Addition of Graphic Novels to Monthly Reads

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Hello, all! 2016 is fast approaching and Jim and I have had a little discussion of things that we may do next year in the group. So I'd like to hear some feedback about diversifying our group reads with the addition of actual graphic novels.

Let me first make it clear that graphic novels would be in addition to, not instead of our regular prose novels and nonfiction selections.

What I would like to know:

1. Are you interested?

2. If yes to #1 how many graphic novels would you like to read in a year?

3. If we do graphic novels do you prefer constraints of any type? Books only published in the last year? No repeats of Publisher? Only superhero graphic novels? This sort of thing.

4. What things prevent or discourage you from joining group reads? Time Constraints? Unavailability of books? Uncomfortable posting an unpopular opinion? Inquiring Mods wanna know!

Thanks for all replys and as always feel free to private message me if needed. :-)

message 2: by Mel (new)

Mel (melcuya) | 8 comments Hi Natalie!! here's my response

What I would like to know:

1. Are you interested? - YES

2. If yes to #1 how many graphic novels would you like to read in a year? - 20

3. If we do graphic novels do you prefer constraints of any type? - YES

Books only published in the last year? - NO

No repeats of Publisher? - NO

Only superhero graphic novels? This sort of thing.- NO

4. What things prevent or discourage you from joining group reads?
Time Constraints? A LITTLE
Unavailability of books? YES. SPECIALLY IN MY AREA.
Uncomfortable posting an unpopular opinion? NOT REALLY

message 3: by Eddie (new)

Eddie | 70 comments Natalie, how are you?
Mel took all my answers. So could you count them twice?

message 4: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Eddie wrote: "Natalie, how are you?
Mel took all my answers. So could you count them twice?"

Thank you Eddie, and Mel too! :-) I'm doing great will probably be in, out and around the next few days. Still haven't done the Thanksgiving grocery shopping yet. O.o!

message 5: by Ishaan (new)

Ishaan Tiwari (ishaantiwari) | 4 comments My answer is the exact same as Mel with the difference being that I can manage time constraints but unavailability is a really underwhelming word for what I face in not only my country. :D

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (mirymom) | 39 comments 1. Yes

2. 12-20.

3. I'm open to anything. No restrictions.

4. Most often the problem is that people don't finish the book when planned. Sometimes that's me missing deadlines, sometimes it's other people. Maybe that will be better with graphic novels. Easier to read quickly. Like everyone, time management is my biggest issue.

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary | 4 comments No. I prefer books.

message 8: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Thanks, Ishann, Samantha, and Gary; I value the feedback and am monitoring the thread. :-)

message 9: by Steven (new)

Steven Morton | 181 comments 1. i am interested.
2.i would not mind reading at least 6 graphic novels in a year.
3. i would like to read super hero graphic novels since there are so many storylines I would love to read that I never got to read when they were originally published.
4. my main problem is time constraints trying to read my choices of books in addition to the books recommended by the group.

message 10: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to voice an opinion. Jim will probably want to weigh in on this too, but I think at the most we would be able to do one graphic novel a month. We are going to need to take nominations on our first read probably by next week so we can vote and give everyone a reasonable amount of time to get the book.

I think we'll just do the nominations by ear the first time and see how many we get. I don't wanna inforce a bunch of rules if they aren't necessary.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is a ban on expensive omnibus editions, only available in hardback and rare books. -- I think the choices do need to be constrained to those available in multiple formats.

message 11: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) | 787 comments Mod
I'm up for what everyone wants to do! I really want this to be a member-driven club.

My personal preference:

1. Are you interested? Yes!!

2. If yes to #1 how many graphic novels would you like to read in a year? I agree with one per month.

3. If we do graphic novels do you prefer constraints of any type? Books only published in the last year? No repeats of Publisher? Only superhero graphic novels? This sort of thing. I don't see the need for any constraints...

4. What things prevent or discourage you from joining group reads? Time Constraints? Unavailability of books? Uncomfortable posting an unpopular opinion? Inquiring Mods wanna know! Time and getting the books. My opinions aren't always popular, but that hasn't stopped me before :)

message 12: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) | 31 comments 1. Are you interested? It's nice having a group specifically group focused on superhero or other comic prose novels. So not really interested in expanding to graphic novels in this group.

Let me see . .
2015: 122
2014: 101
2013: 134
2012: 113
... etc. hmms. I've read 617 graphic novels. Most of which since 2008.

So, anywhere between six and 100 something I'll probably read next year. The around six currently following, plus 94 possible others. Because of cost, I'll probably be closer to six.

3. If we do graphic novels do you prefer constraints of any type? Books only published in the last year? No repeats of Publisher? Only superhero graphic novels? This sort of thing.

I do not prefer constraints.

4. What things prevent or discourage you from joining group reads? Time Constraints? Unavailability of books? Uncomfortable posting an unpopular opinion? Inquiring Mods wanna know!

Cost.

message 13: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) | 787 comments Mod
Don't worry, Lexxi - prose and non-fiction will continue to be our main focus. We were just brainstorming ways to get people more involved and thought we might add graphic novels and see what happens. I'll be posting my suggestions for next year's (prose/non-fiction) rotation for next year in the next few days to get everyone's feedback.

message 14: by CoolNameGuy (new)

CoolNameGuy (sycomantis91) | 4 comments 1. Are you interested?

Definitely

I can confidently do 12-24, open to more or less.

No. I'm likely newer to consistently reading comics than most herehowever, so I haven't read nearly as many, and none more than once. So while I can totally see why some wouldn't, there are many I haven't heard of or haven't gotten around to that this would provide perfect motivation for.

Honestly never done one, so I can't say, and hopefully won't be able to a year from now.

message 15: by Allen (new)

Allen | 1 comments This is the best idea ever.

1. Are you interested?
A: VERY.

"2. If yes to #1 how many graphic novels would you like to read in a year?"
A; As many as possible, but within the confines of this group, 1 per month would be good.

"3. If we do graphic novels do you prefer constraints of any type? Books only published in the last year? No repeats of Publisher? Only superhero graphic novels? This sort of thing."
A: I'll admit my bias toward Marvel Comics, but I read just about any GN I find, including manga (Japanese GNs).

"4. What things prevent or discourage you from joining group reads? Time Constraints? Unavailability of books? Uncomfortable posting an unpopular opinion? Inquiring Mods wanna know!"
A: GN availability and time contraints. I get most, if not all, my GNs from the local library system and pickin's is lacking.

Love the idea of graphic novel reads. "They're all I read," he said sheepishly.

message 16: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Allen wrote: "This is the best idea ever.

1. Are you interested?
A: VERY.

"2. If yes to #1 how many graphic novels would you like to read in a year?"
A; As many as possible, but within the confines of this gro..."

Thanks, for the feedback! :-)