The Sword and Laser discussion

Time and Again (Time, #1)
This topic is about Time and Again
Podcasts > S&L Podcast #236 - Time Travel is Frustrating

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
We wrap up what people thought about Time and Again by Jack Finney. Some loved the imagery, some got bored, and some thought he was just too hard on New York City.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2015/11...
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/3785457

message 2: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Yeah, anyone else find it weird that Felicia's book was in the "Humor" category, rather than the "Memoir & Autobiography" category?

Matthew Castanon (mattinthehat) | 19 comments Holy Guacamole they mentioned my comment on the book! I am absolutely floored. I've been listening to the show since the geek & sundry channel days and I am extremely happy right now. And now that I look back at it my comment comes off very angry at the book and the science and story and all the things. I didn't mean it that way, at least not to such an extent (eek!). I had finished the novel 30 minutes before and I was mostly angry because it felt like the main character had kidnapped his companion by time traveling without her consent, putting her in a situation that she couldn't get home with out the "hero's" help. The whole situation irked me the wrong way and most likely colored my view of what the Author was getting at with his story.

But holy cow I was on the interwebs!! Woot!

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
Louie wrote: "Yeah, anyone else find it weird that Felicia's book was in the "Humor" category, rather than the "Memoir & Autobiography" category?"

Yes that was very confusing to me.

message 5: by Colin (last edited Nov 25, 2015 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 473 comments Louie wrote: "Yeah, anyone else find it weird that Felicia's book was in the "Humor" category, rather than the "Memoir & Autobiography" category?"

Yes! Very strange. In the first round of voting I manually entered it in the Biography category instead, but I imagine the bulk of people just pick from the options that Goodreads gives them.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2245 comments I'm of a similar age to Tom, and I also have always had this vision of New York City as kind of a hellish, dystopian wasteland, formed, no doubt, by books we read in school that were set in New York (and written when things were in much rougher shape than they are now) and the glimpses I got from various TV shows and movies of the 1970s and early 1980s.

You mean The Warriors wasn't a documentary?

Minsta | 100 comments Joseph wrote: "I'm of a similar age to Tom, and I also have always had this vision of New York City as kind of a hellish, dystopian wasteland, formed, no doubt, by books we read in school that were set in New Yor..."

How about Escape From New York - another documentary??

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2245 comments Minsta wrote: "How about Escape From New York - another documentary??"

Yep, there was a whole series of them.